Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz or Flaine at Christmas...?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi - any thoughts out there on Avoriaz versus Flaine for Christmas week?
Flying into Geneva on Christmas Eve so keen on a short'ish transfer as travelling with 4 kids (across 2 families) which is really driving the choice of PDS / GM rather than heading further away from Geneva for the high altitude resorts (plus I'd like a bit of tree lining in case of windy / snowing days). Appreciate its early in the season so going for the highest resorts in PDS / GM.
Ideally looking for a big chalet to accomodate all 8 of us but seems to be a few apartments on Sunweb and the like still available so may have to settle for 2 apartments (1 for each family).
I am favouring Avoriaz at the moment just because I think the the village will be a bit nicer than the concrete of Flaine - but looking for any advice in terms of the villages or likely snow conditions (fully realise it is impossible to predict with any certainty).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@martindobson, Avoriaz very short on chalets and large apts, imagine Flaine the same (similar original development goals). Very little difference in climate being only what 3? or 4 valleys different.

I think PdS mountain restaurants better ...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Or Samoens if you want the same ski area
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Avoriaz does have some lovely big new chalets but they are €€€€

Avoriaz is lovely over Christmas. We are usually down in Morzine but ski through when doing thr circuit and theres always lots on at Christmas.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 4-09-22 21:55; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Probably should dust of my tin hat before posting but I would pick Avoriaz over Flaine each and every time. Better snow, better connected, better restaurants, even looks better..!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowsartre wrote:
Probably should dust of my tin hat before posting but I would pick Avoriaz over Flaine each and every time. Better snow, better connected, better restaurants, even looks better..!

I would agreee with you . Avoriaz IMHO is better than Flaine for everything bar snow (location + less traffic), but not much difference on that one.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Flaine is a brutalist masterpiece. Not everyone appreciates it though, which probably explains why it's a bit cheaper than other places wink

Note: if you do pick Flaine (and you should!) then you can do an architectural guided tour https://en.flaine.com/culture
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Flaine has 300-400m higher skiing than Avoriaz, therefore typically has more and better snow early season.
You could argue it’s better linked than Avoriaz. I know a lot of local guys / families who used to ski PdS every season that switched to GM and have never looked back. I like both but think there’s more easy access off piste in GM, as long as you avoid the really busy weeks. And the crevasses
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not the right thread, but a French mate just sent this link about some resorts will struggle to open lifts with current energy crisis, so might be worth holding off or doing further checks

https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/occitanie/hautes-pyrenees/tarbes/la-hausse-des-prix-de-l-energie-inquiete-les-stations-de-ski-dans-les-pyrenees-2606840.html
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@polo, that article is predominately about small resorts in the pyrenees. We’re talking about your local bakery not keeping the lights on vs your local tesco superstore. Not really comparable.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In terms of look, they both have their own special style, Bauhaus vs Fantasy.
In terms of aprés :
DJ Sets: Pente a Jules vs Follie Douce
Live Music : White Pub vs The Place

Dont care about the skiiing, but for boarders Avoriaz is on a different level - more variety and better parks, lots of freeride, tree runs etc...

Overall atmosphere, I felt that Flaine is a bit disjointed in that you have Forum, Front De neige, Foret which are 3 mini villages, whereas Avoriaz has a central place and feels like a ski village. I have never been in Flaine in the evenings during Christmas week, but have been in Avoriaz for many, and the horse drawn sleighs and Christmas trees do make it feel special.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Nadenoodlee, still think Tesco’s (large resort’s) won’t be affected by crippling energy costs? It’s still only September and multiple threads have popped up / announcements from big resorts.

Am working in Flaine for a few weeks, it’s kitchen renovation time of year, and residents have been told lifts will run at max 80% speed. They are still contemplating closing outlier lifts or a rotation schedule.

Currently 2C here, might be a different colour next week above 2000m

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy