Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis/Snowboards on UK Trains

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

This year season I need to get a train from Reading up to Birmingham International for my flight out to Austria. I'll be taking my snowboard packed with all my kit and luggage. I wondered if anyone had ever encountered issues on UK trains with conductors not allowing you on or charging extra? The 'rules' seem to indicate nothing over 1 metre but I've seen all sorts on trains and wondered if it really was an issue?

thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends on the train company. GWR normally have large luggage sections at the end of the carriage, but it’s cross country from reading to B’ham and they tend not to have over sized luggage storage as standard. I’d contact them directly to be safe.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Actually, thinking about it, if the timings work, you could get the GWR local service from Reading to Banbury, which has no regulation on bikes/large luggage (it’s the train I commute on so know it well), then it’s just half an hour from Banbury to B’ham international and if push comes to shove you could just stand with it near the doors (or sit in one of the massive toilets with it!).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
not sure on those trains but i've had fun with a two meter ski bag on the piccadilly line!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Its an early flight so it'll have to be the direct train... yes its the cross country unfortunately so no large luggage storage.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@snorks, sounds like you might be sitting in the toilet for the trip!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mikeg2 wrote:
not sure on those trains but i've had fun with a two meter ski bag on the piccadilly line!

Its not too bad on that line. Just prop it up in one of the luggage spaces (which at least this line has) or in the standing area at the ends of the carriages. But woe betide you if you happen upon rush hour.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Never had an issue, going up/down to London from an hour north of there, plus the whole tube network and a few replacement buses now and then. Just be polite and apologetic to everyone. Not directly relevant, but tube stations all have lifts as alternatives to the escalators, if you don't fancy those (same's true for airports). You just have to look closely to find them.

Some trains are reasonably designed for snowboard bags, but most aren't. I usually end up plonking mine right between the two pairs of doors, and sitting close enough to it so it's secure, and so I can move it or otherwise help anyone who looks unhappy about it being there. At peak times I simply stand and hold the thing upright on tube or train. I think a good attitude keeps drama at bay: I've never had any hassle in a lot of trips. Non black-cab taxi drivers can be snooty, although in practice they all have split-fold rear seats and snowboards aren't as long as they think. Again a polite apologetic attitude works wonders.

Keep the bag off wet/ dirty ground all the time, so it's more pleasant for everyone to handle.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good point! Kill them with kindness usually goes a long way, Im happy to stand with it if the train gets v busy.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
phil_w wrote:
but tube stations all have lifts as alternatives to the escalators, if you don't fancy those (same's true for airports). You just have to look closely to find them.

I am not sure that all tubes stations have lifts where they have escalators (e.g. Embankment, Sloane Sq) and some (usually suburban or smaller/minor/older city stops) have stairs only , but an easy route with lifts are not hard to find these days. There are maps on tfl website shows maps with stations with step free and avoiding stairs (the latter map being the most useful and easiest to read). The tfl planner allows step free journey to be shown.

The lifts actually working are another matter!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

but tube stations all have lifts as alternatives to the escalators

They absolutely do not. Some do, especially the bigger stations and those that have been recently built/renovated, but most don't have lifts, and many have short sections of regular steps to get from the bottom of the escalators to the platforms, or require going up/down steps to interchange.

If you look at a tube map, only the stations marked with a wheelchair symbol have lifts from the street to platform, and within stations you'll see that sometimes it's only certain lines which are step and escalator free, eg at Waterloo there are lifts to the Jubilee line, but not to the Northern, Bakerloo or W&C
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Never had any real issues across either the Overground/Underground/Heathrow Express/National Rail to Gatwick.

For Under/Overground stations just get off the train and stand out of the way while the masses stream out and you can use the escalators.

Did once have a guard on the Heathrow Express say I couldn't put my ski bag across the (closed, non-platform side) doorway while waiting to depart from Paddington. Picked it up, waited for him to walk away, led it back down again.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy