Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Train to 3 valleys from London

Poster: A snowHead
@drporat - I've also taken that direct train from Bourg to CdG - works well and actually takes similar amount of time to get from CdG to Gare du Nord if you are continuing journey by Eurostar as if you travel from Gare de Lyon (but on a OuiGo train, which is normally less expensive)

@DrLawn - Whereas you can typically arrive at St Pancras 45 mins before departure and comfortably get through with time to sit down and get a coffee and a croissant before your train, in Gare du Nord it always takes longer. I've not had 2 hours though. Most recently travelled by train in May and it was 45 mins to get into the departure lounge. The key issues seem to be that they want to check your passport three times - one on initial arrival, then going through the (horrifically bad) e-gates, then again one more time after that to stamp it. The Eurostar terminal is too small and the queueing system itself is poorly designed. I try and leave at least 1h30m to come back through and - to date - haven't missed yet.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Ouigo trains that have been released

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 17-01-23 17:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Noob921, could you get the eurostar on a sat eve and overnight in paris, then catch the ouigo train on the sunday morning?

just looked at the website, and it seems they do not have the paris cdg to moutier/bsm route this winter, that i took last year.

there is a sncf option that departs in the afternoon, but that has a couple of changes (lyon and chambery)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
indeed, the only direct train for December for BSM starts at Gare de Lyon and costs 118 euros on SNCF.
Trainline has it for 188 euros Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
drporat wrote:
indeed, the only direct train for December for BSM starts at Gare de Lyon and costs 118 euros on SNCF.

Trainline are a rip off. Great for checking availability and options but you’re better off booking direct on the train companies websites once you decide what you want than with Trainline (and that goes for UK domestic train travel as well).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ster, Here's a thought: if you re booking a UK train and a Eurostar from London, there is a slightly higher fare level which guarantees transferring your E* booking to the next train if your UK domestric train should be delayed. Search/ask for "CIV" fares
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
drporat wrote:

You need to get yourself an SNCF Advantage Card. That should save a lot on that fare.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sugarmoma666 wrote:
drporat wrote:

You need to get yourself an SNCF Advantage Card. That should save a lot on that fare.

Thanks, first time I heard about it. Just checked it for my scheduled itinerary, it does pay for itself on the first trip as they say.
How many people can I add to one return journey and still enjoy the discount?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
drporat wrote:
sugarmoma666 wrote:
drporat wrote:

Thanks, first time I heard about it. Just checked it for my scheduled itinerary, it does pay for itself on the first trip as they say.
How many people can I add to one return journey and still enjoy the discount?

There's different benefits for different cards. It's all set out somewhere on the SNCF website. In fact I provided a link to it on the previous page.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
^^^^
The SNCF card is great info. You’ve saved my group of 6 money.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I never use Trainline - they leave too long for connections and not sure of pricing. Always go direct SNCFconnect and second that on the Avantage card - saved me the money it cost already and I have two more at least to book for the coming year.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It turned out to be cheaper for our group not to get the SNCF card.
I’m impressed the cost of our fares for a one way trip Gare de Lyon to Bourg direct is only 36 Euro. Times are pretty perfect too.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sbooker wrote:
It turned out to be cheaper for our group not to get the SNCF card.
I’m impressed the cost of our fares for a one way trip Gare de Lyon to Bourg direct is only 36 Euro. Times are pretty perfect too.

I thought tickets weren't released yet for your dates of travel (other than Ouigo). Where have you managed to find the prices?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sugarmoma666, I just found it too on SNCF connect.
Those are the prices for weekends in January

In December and early March is way more expensive

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not sure what dates are included, but the below deal might be of use to some.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/share-deal-from-app/4005455
ski holidays
Back up the first page I was talking about the French night trains from Paris Gare de Lyons around 8pm the Friday evening, rather than the Brit affair with disco. Mostly French passengers. You arrived early morning having slept in your bunk. Up to the resort with time to change before the lifts opened. Same on return Saturday night. It seemed well used so I don't know why they cancelled them, or perhaps kept them as special ski trains. You can still do it by day but the night train acted as equivalent to 2 extra hotel nights.
ski holidays
@snowball, i have used this service as well, and to a couple of other destinations, back in the late 90's.

i think that the reason the service was stopped, was that the rolling stock was beyond its best and would not be financially viable to refurb/re-new.

am sure other snowheads may be give a definite answer, but a quick scan of the SNCF website it doesn't look like there are sleeper services to anywhere in france, though there are overnight trains with what seems like reclining seats.
ski holidays
@snowball, @terrygasson, I was recently reminded that the Paris to Briancon sleeper still runs on Friday nights (handy for Serre Che), although I'm not sure if it is every week. There are one or two other French sleeper routes, but I don't think they're useful for the Alps.
ski holidays
@ShakiraShakira, cheers, its great to hear there are still options for overnight trains to other destinations.
latest report
@ShakiraShakira, that is VERY interesting. Especially for the Off-Piste bash in March. But I can't quite picture where the rail would run. Perhaps via Italy?
snow report
@snowball, It looks like it goes down Lyon way and then does a big loop down South and back up. It's a bit of a slow route, but that doesn't matter at night.

I just saw your post on the SoPiB about trying to ski an extra day - the sleeper train might well do the trick at the start of the trip. Unfortunately for the return, a wise snowHead tells me that the sleeper only runs on the Friday night, not Saturday like the Monetier/BSM one used to do.
snow report
Yes, I just looked. Going out from Paris on the Friday 20.51 there are reclining seats but also a couchette option which looks quite attractive.
A train does run on the Saturday return to Paris without changes, but only with reclining seats (20.03 - 6.55). At least, that was with December's train times. I don't know what my bad back would say about a night like that. I think I'll put that on the Spring Off Piste bash thread.
ski holidays
@snowball, i think @leggyblonde has used this overnight service last season

Edit:

Here's the TR

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3527800&highlight=night+train#3527800
latest report
Couple of articles that may be of interest
Paris-Briancon Night Carriages to be upgraded
http://skiflightfree.org/paris-briancon-night-carriages-to-be-upgraded/

Take the night train to Serre Chevalier
http://skiflightfree.org/take-the-night-train-to-serre-chevalier/

My understanding is that they are bringing back night trains to other destinations, but currently Toulouse is the only other 'ski' option.
snow report
Decided to go Travelski package as I felt the total cost was a bargain.
Done E* to BSM a number of times. Both direct and crossing Paris. e* have released an earlier train 6:30am on Saturday (I’ve always caught the 7:55) and that will give you loads of options for BSM on Saturday.
Also return sat evening about 7pm means loads of time for return.

For us the E* return to Paris was going to be £83.50 ph. But add the BSM return and I was budgeting £150 each.

The package gave us premier/1st class which was worth it
snow report
Quote:

Just got in the door of the train as it moved off.

Must have been horribly stressful.
snow conditions
For anyone waiting, SNCF have now released tickets for InOui trains up to 26 March.
snow conditions
@iainm, thank you for the heads up on when the tickets would be available, got ours today Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy