Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Zillertal 2022/23

Poster: A snowHead
Snow on the cams looks very good. Wish I was there for the opening!

@VolklAttivaS5, looks perfectly fine! Agreed. Must be another reason!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Matrix wrote:
Snow on the cams looks very good. Wish I was there for the opening!

@VolklAttivaS5, looks perfectly fine! Agreed. Must be another reason!

Shedloads there especially if you look at today’s FB pics on their page! Looks brilliant.
Yes it must be that they just aren’t ready yet. I’m glad I’m not there until 10th Dec anyway but at least people can go to the valleys either side from 3rd Dec plus Hintertux.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It must be to cut costs.

Interesting article (AFP) on electricity costs (amongst other issues) affecting Austrian resorts. Kitz saying their power costs expected to at least double this season so making lots of artificial snow now before the tariffs increase. Running lifts around two hour less per day and lower capacity (wasn’t clear if this was slower lifts or as a result of the 2 hours less).

As you say at least season pass holders can use the different resorts instead!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes I was thinking I wonder if it’s to do with the electricity costs especially early season when there aren’t many people about buying the lift passes.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good conditions in Hintertux. The blue piste 17 accessed via the 4 person chairlift from Sommerberg is open....

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
While I was having a mid morning hot chocolate in the restaurant at Sommerberg I noticed Chemmy Alcott walked in with a small group of other skiers and sat down at the adjacent table, so I asked if I could get a photo with her. Madeye-Smiley

snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Alastair Pink, she didn't ask you then? Might bump in to you up there tomorrow if you're skiing tomorrow?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@swskier, yes, I'll be skiing tomorrow. If it's a bit sunnier as forecast I may be in my tweeds, so should be able to spot. Madeye-Smiley

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hope you get into your tweeds, you must be a real head turner on the hill.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Alastair Pink, you'll definitely be recognisable! I'll keep my eyes open!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Alastair Pink, spotted you a couple of times, but never when I was close enough to say hello!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@swskier, ah, pity. I skied mainly around Sommerberg today as it was blowing a hooly higher up at Tuxer Fernerhaus. I'll be there tomorrow but back in modern ski clothes.

If you should want to meet up just to say hi you can always send me a sHs PM message to arrange a meeting time at the Tuxer Fernerhaus. snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Alastair Pink, it was around the Sommerberg I saw you, I was going up the Ramsmoos t bar and you were coming down the blue piste next to it.

On a course from tomorrow, so no idea how we're looking timings wise yet.

I did venture right up as far as Gefrorene Wand and instantly regretted that decision. Made my way back down to Sommerberg and ended up finishing early afternoon. Saw a lot of ice patches up high, actual ice as well not compacted snow and it must have been from the wind blowing the snow off.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@swskier, I've sent you a PM. snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks brilliant on the webcams not sure if there’s more snow than usual for the time of year or not?

Anyone else in the area from 10th Dec onwards?
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5, well the red piste no. 2 from Tuxer Fernerhaus down to Sommerberg is open, it's often not open yet at this time of year, so yes probably a bit better snow than usual. Very Happy

Also the Rastkogelbahn and Finkenberg gondolas opened yesterday, I'll probably be skiing there tomorrow morning before my taxi collects me from my hotel mid afternoon to go to Munich airport. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@Alastair Pink, yes I think you’re right red no 2 wasn’t open this time last year from what I can remember.
I don’t think Rastkogelbahn was open either but then there was the restriction at the time that no one could open until 13th Dec as they had that lockdown for a week.
snow report
Apart from Tuxer Fernerhaus can anyone think of anywhere memorable in the Zillertal that does roast chicken? The roast chicken at the Tuxer Fernerhaus is lovely but I find you have to get there early before the racers as last year during early season some of them were having 2 portions of the half roast chicken for lunch so it was gone really quickly!
snow conditions
@VolklAttivaS5, Marendalm in Hochzillertal do them, but you have to be early.

Also, there's a new(ish) chicken van next to MPreis, opposite the train station in Fügen. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@SaraJ, thanks I didn’t know about Marendalm, I don’t think I’ve seen them anywhere in Mayrhofen but thought I’d seen them in Hochzillertal somewhere!

Good to know about the chicken van by the train station!
snow conditions
Skied at Sommerberg (Hintertux) Today…

‘Not much snow for the time of year’ - but that is not the same as ‘not much snow.’

On piste, cold light snow being moved around by the wind. If the piste you are skiing on is having snow deposited on it, conditions are great.

Off piste looked very unappealing. Pick between very thin snow cover due to wind scouring, or alternatively slabby wind loaded slopes. None of the above stopped somebody doing very impressive back flips off a cliff under the Tuxerjoch chair- sadly it wasn’t me.
latest report
Gasser butcher/cafe outside the bottom of the Penken lift also does roast chicken.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g608662-d2569528-i173162119-Gasser_Metzgerei-Mayrhofen_Tirol_Austrian_Alps.html
snow conditions
@JimboS, I’ve been in there many a time for a meat roll but I hadn’t realised they did roast chicken as well. It would make sense though.
ski holidays
The Gasser butcher is my favourite place for a snack when coming off the hill. We first met the family by chance the first time I booked the Hof for 10 days back in 2000. We stayed with the family in their house/apartments just up the road, it's a fantastic location for the Penken lift.
ski holidays

This morning I took the Rastkogelbahn up from Vorderslanersbach and have been skiing around the Rastkogel, Horbergjoch and Penken slopes. The weather is much nicer than at Hintertux today, good visibility and no wind. Here's a photo from the top of Penken.
latest report
Alastair Pink wrote:

This morning I took the Rastkogelbahn up from Vorderslanersbach …. The weather is much nicer than at Hintertux today, good visibility and no wind.

The morning’s benign conditions turned to snow and poor vis in the afternoon. Not complaining though as I thought the piste at Rastkogel was in need of some fresh snow.

It’s presently snowing hard in Juns.
snow report
@Alastair Pink, sorry i missed you this weekend.

We skied Hintertux today, super windy at Tuxner Fernerhaus, but below that and up the Tuxerjoch was great this morning. Started snowing this afternoon, and i've not long walked from the Hohenhaus Tenne back to Hintertux and there's around 3-4" of fresh snow, so we're on for a great day tomorrow, and with even better weather forecast Wednesday and Thursday.
latest report
@swskier, sounds good! Hope your course is going well. I'm now at Munich airport waiting for my flight back to UK. A short ski trip for me but enjoyable all the same. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Alastair Pink, my first time here. Compact, but nice long runs, and something to cover all bases including the hardest blue run you'll ever ski in run 17 at Sommerberg, but we had some great fun on that this morning, on the bottom half getting right over on those edges. I'm very unfamiliar with Austria, i've been twice over the years, but really enjoying it, not least the restaurant and bar prices!
Safe journey home.
latest report
Yes, that mid section of 17 is clearly RED, often covered in terrified beginners.
snow conditions
@JimboS, you have that sort of traverse from the lift across the top, then drop down the run by Tuxerjochhaus. The left hand side of that is black steepness all day. The problem is once you progress from the blue run off the Ramsmoos t-bar, that's the next place, and it's way too difficult even for a few weeks experienced skiers.
snow report
JimboS wrote:
The Gasser butcher is my favourite place for a snack when coming off the hill. We first met the family by chance the first time I booked the Hof for 10 days back in 2000. We stayed with the family in their house/apartments just up the road, it's a fantastic location for the Penken lift.

Yes when I’ve stayed in Mayrhofen I’ve had a meat roll from there pretty much every day after skiing.
latest report
@swskier, snow sounds great just in time for my arrival this Saturday.
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, things are looking good, especially with more to come Friday.

Here's 7pm this evening in the town...

20221205-191104

20221205-164525
snow report
@swskier, brilliant
snow conditions
@swskier,
Quote:

@JimboS, you have that sort of traverse from the lift across the top, then drop down the run by Tuxerjochhaus. The left hand side of that is black steepness all day. The problem is once you progress from the blue run off the Ramsmoos t-bar, that's the next place, and it's way too difficult even for a few weeks experienced skiers.

They usually cut in a zig zag piste machine track skiers right of that section so the steep part can be avoided. I expect there isn't enough snow yet for them to be able to do it.
snow report
@SaraJ, that would definitely help! You can sort of see there's a track just off piste there, so that makes sense
snow report
https://fatmap.com/guidebooks/16751/the-top-10-freeride-lines-in-the-zillertal

Has anyone done any of these routes described in this link?
snow conditions
Yes, lots of pics and few videos of our ventures into the Horbergjoch Nord (Death valley) on my Easter thread.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=92512
snow conditions
@JimboS, thanks will have a look at that
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy