Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Zillertal 2022/23

Poster: A snowHead
@SaraJ, it will keep it nice for touring though
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skied Tux last two days, its skiing well. 30km open but it felt like a lot more, the run down to the first gondola station is open so its a 20 - 25 minute descent at moderate pace from the top lifts to the very bottom which is pretty good for mid May and lots of fun

Usual spring conditions, hardpack in the morning, beautiful when it gets sunny, softer as day goes on. The pistes above the restaurant are all excellent and were still skiing well in the sunshine yesterday afternoon. The long run down from the restaurant towards the valley is Spring snow but still fun, only the last 100 yards had wet snow that slowed you down.

It was snowing moderately heavily since early morning today, right down to about half way down that long run. Hero soft snow up on the pistes above, but it was worst viz I've ever experienced so couldn't really take advantage. Literally could not find the way across to the T-bars or chair lift off the top gondola, regularly lost.

More snow this week so should be fun. Friday was evidently a powder day judging from the tracks through 30 - 40cm of fresh (resort reported 50cm) but by the time I was on skis on Saturday morning it was already treacle.

Good top ups for the Summer though.

As a matter of interest, anyone know why they do those kind of trench pisting along unused areas, like they're cutting turf in straight lines or something? I often see it on glacier webcams?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@8611, snow harvesting for areas lower down?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@8611, runs right down to Sommerberg?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Interesting - how does it work? Like you'd need an enormous thing to hold that much snow if you were scooping it up to keep it, and if they are pushing it out onto the piste to push it further down the piste it would be a big operation and I would have thought they'd have just pushed all of it and not just the furrows?

It must be that though, hence why you always see it on other glacier webcams

The pisteurs were constantly busy up there, painstaking work covering some snow with white plastic and milling around regularly. In fact the bonanza snow was if you encountered one coming up a piste you could ski down their track after - was superb soft corduroy. They should do that all day!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@swskier, sorry, if you mean was it open, yes, the main run only. Its a good run though, feels like it goes on for ages. Will be interesting to see how long it lasts.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
8611 wrote:
Will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

Gone this week it seems. Pity. Looks fine on the webcams, presumably getting slushy if not though.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

What you can't see on the webcam
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another snowboarder killed under a pisten bully, RIP
https://www.krone.at/3018457
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Whitegoldsbrother, ah, thanks. You there? How is it skiing?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chris_n wrote:
Another snowboarder killed under a pisten bully, RIP
https://www.krone.at/3018457

Christ that's awful. It did strike me that the piste bullys are very active there. Like I can't remember the last time I saw a piste bully out on an open slope during the day and yet I was encountering three and four a day there.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
8611 wrote:
@Whitegoldsbrother, ah, thanks. You there? How is it skiing?

I am. Its in excellent nick. Never had 11 & 12 open at this time of year before.

My thoughts with the people affected in Saturday's accident. Tragic.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anyone know if there's a summer season lift pass that covers MTB/Hiking + skiing at Hintertux?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There's a summer season card for skiing at Hintertux and then there's a Zillertal summer season card that allows one ascent/descent in each of the Zillertal lifts each day. You can't use it for skiing.
The Hintertux card allows one ascent/descent in the first lift up out of the car park each day but once you're on the mountain then it's for skiing.

I've just looked at the prices of the Hintertux card... If I were you, just moving to Zillertal, I'd explore the rest of the Zillertal in summer, put skiing to one side until October, buy the Tirol Card on the 1st October and then start skiing again.
If you feel the urge to ski, buy a day ticket. There's plenty of fun stuff to do in Zillertal without putting ski boots on in 25C heat! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For completeness of information Laughing In October you can buy the Tirol Card, or, it's also possible to pay on upgrade on the Zillertal season card so that it's valid from 1st Oct. to 15th May, for skiing early and late season in Hintertux.
ski holidays
@SaraJ, that's what I thought the case was. Chances are we won't ski at all during the summer, I just wasn't sure if there was an annual card.

Is the summer season card you mention the Zillertal Activcard? Online looks as though you can only buy it for 3,6,9 or 12 consecutive days?

Expect what's most likely is we'll buy an individual ticket here and there, but good to know our options.
snow report
as fas as i know there is the Zillertal Activcard, and there is a glacier sommer card (for skiing)
i found the prices toooo high since we dont know if in 10 days the conditions would be acceptable or not.

On the other side i dont know if there is discount for the locals

https://www.hintertuxergletscher.at/de/preise/saisonkarten/preise-saisonkarten-sommer/
latest report
Tux seems to have gotten a nice (probably cosmetic only) top up, looks nice up there today
ski holidays
@8611, fresh snow on the peaks around here yesterday and Sunday.

Gorgeous weather forecast for most of the rest of the week now.
snow report
It lasted all of a day unsurprisingly and the website now showing its down to 2km of pistes.

Was it last year it closed or almost closed for the first time ever?

Is it ever more kms at this time of year? And do they still charge 60 euro a lift pass if only 2 kms open?

The few skiers on it look like they're having fun anyway
latest report
It was down to 6km last year

Last time I skiied in August was 2016 with 20km open

You can tell it's bad when the webcam only goes half way across and they over expose the image

€59 per day
latest report
@8611, it's roasting here, and has been for a week or so now, and will continue through most of next week too. I don't think it's even freezing on the glacier over night at the moment.
ski holidays
No, looks hot alright. I did think the webcam had changed alright!

20k a big difference from 2k. It's funny because they got quite a top up in mid May and Henri was suggesting this would help the summer season.

I don't really care as summer skiing really just a novelty, it's just kind of interesting in the climate change context (small sample size obv).
snow report
8611 wrote:
No, looks hot alright. I did think the webcam had changed alright!

20k a big difference from 2k. It's funny because they got quite a top up in mid May and Henri was suggesting this would help the summer season.

I don't really care as summer skiing really just a novelty, it's just kind of interesting in the climate change context (small sample size obv).

34km open last week in May this year, fantastic conditions. They shut the Lärmstange area after the Bank Holiday Monday presumably for lack of numbers, certainly wasn't for the lack of snow.
snow report
One for the summer if anyone is going to be out here, or for next year if anyone is interested.

Since moving here we've discovered a via ferrata (that we haven't done) in Laimach called Talbach Klettersteig. Mrs Swskier is working in the restaurant next door, the Talbachstüberl where you can rent via ferrata equipment from.

The via ferrata goes up the side of a waterfall and is apparently beautiful, then you can sit out on the balcony of the restaurant and enjoy a cold one and some food with this view.....

20230811-123620

Easy access, a 10 minute walk up from the Laimach-Regionalmuseum train stop on the Zillertalbahn.
snow report
Although bergfex does half half a meter for monday. Maybe they'll re-open down to the restaurant!

@swskier, don't think I'd be able for it, get swimmy head doing that stuff nowadays, to my shame, sign of old age
snow report
@8611, yes, forecast for Monday up there is looking good.

We walked the waterfall walk the other day so have now seen what the via ferrata looks like. Certainly not one for those that don't like heights, and having very little experience it'll take a while before I can brave the whole thing, and have the skills for it also.

Here's some of the route, and this isn't the most difficult part, or the most exposed!

20230824-201612
snow report
I'll admire from afar
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We did the kids route just outside the Hof, it was terrifying. Very Happy

https://youtube.com/shorts/Eckzs9HJ1us?si=s8BPFdc5QGliiFxc
ski holidays
@JimboS, that's the via ferrata that goes up to the Zimmereben hut right?
ski holidays
@swskier, Yes, that's it, free schnapps at the hut if you make it all the way. Very Happy
snow report
I take it non of you are climbers then? imagine how you felt but then add trying to get your next placement but can't find anything the last placement was questionable and its well below your feet
ski holidays
@Mother hucker, Yes, never climbed before, we went to the hut at the bottom of the climb and asked about hiring the kit, the woman there first asked "have you climbed before", we said no, she then said "no problem", here is the kit on you go. Not sure why she bothered asking. Laughing

So even on the kids route, some of the holds were at full arm and leg stretch for Kim and she is 5/7. Great fun in the end but would never try one of the more difficult routes.
snow report
@JimboS, we're the same level as you. We did a route in the Rosuel valley between La Plagne and Les Arcs last summer.

https://www.viaferrata-fr.net/via-ferrata-60-Les-Betti%E8res-Peisey-Nancroix-Savoie.html

We just did the first section, finished that and thought, wow that was quite tricky. Got back down to the bottom to see the sign said, suitable for beginners and children! Laughing There was us thinking we'd done a good job Laughing
latest report
@swskier, The Talbach Klettersteig is a good one to try because the first part is in 4 sections which get progressively harder with the option to get out and walk down the path after each section.
latest report
@SaraJ, yes noticed the exits on the map, and while we walked up the walking path, saw them coming out. Will give it a try before the end of the summer!
ski holidays
what's the MTB bike park like in the zillertal? I cant seem to find any real trail maps
snow report
@Mother hucker, from what I can tell, the only bike park type cycling is in the Zillertal Arena. 1 Black run in Zell am Ziller then a handful of trails over in Gerlos.

Not sure if there's much more to it than that, we've only been living here 4 weeks now, but @SaraJ will likely have a lot more knowledge.

Certainly feels like an area that could be invested in to bump up summer visitor numbers, but again, I don't know the background on it.
ski holidays
@Mother hucker, @swskier, has it about right. Not much in the way of downhill. There's a tiny pump track in Kaltenbach and another in Finkenberg.

Over the past couple of years there's been an increase in the number of bike routes designed to attract older cyclists using full E-power to ride to huts where they can re-charge their bikes while having a meal.

I think Muttereralm near Innsbruck is the closest place with a few trails.
latest report
@SaraJ, thought that as the case, from what I'd seen.

Feels like a big gap in the market? You only need to look at the popularity of somewhere like Morzine to see it could be successful?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy