Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Zillertal 2022/23

Poster: A snowHead
On Monday we had a guided day at Hintertux. 15-20cm fresh. Not great visibility but wonderful untouched snow our guide found for us. Low avi risk on the day.

Snow up there on piste will be very nice tomorrow I would imagine and sunny but cold. Worth the trip.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Matrix, agreed. The freshen up at beginning of the week and staying so cold through the day is unexpected and welcome for April.

Didn't like how icy 47 was.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looking great on the web cams for the last few days. The slopes look empty, wish I was there. Is snowbombing going on this week?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@JimboS, I’m still tied between Mayrhofen as an early season destination or Ischgl
More accessible off piste as we said in Ischgl but Mayrhofen is a nicer town for sure (and no blokes peeing everywhere)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@VolklAttivaS5, I've only been to the Hof a few times pre Christmas, snow has generally been good. I remember the year the new Ahorn gondola was put in, there was no snow for the opening, so probably not as snow sure as Ischgl. Here is a video from 2006, fairly typical.

http://youtube.com/v/EgiH1daNgHU

We only occasionally head out pre Christmas for a long weekend and book cheap flights early and accommodation late to chase the snow.

We then head out week 2 of January for a proper cold ski Holliday (although it's been more than 10 years since it's actually been cold that week). Pretty much everywhere is snow sure by then. Boys trip is a few weeks later at the end of Jan.

For the last 20 years+ or so we then head back out to the Hof at the end of March/early April, the snow is a lottery but the village is normally warm in the afternoon which we like. We often get powder but probably less of it available than Ischgl, but we take warm afternoon sun as a priority by that time of the year.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Other thoughts, on the whole we do generally like Ischgl, great snow and Kim liked a lot of the cafes we went into at the bottom of the home runs into the village. What we don't like is the price gouging compared to other resorts for food and drink, it seems to have got worse this season. Seems to be 30% to 50% higher pricing than the Hof in Jan.

We left the village by ~4pm most days so didn't get involved with the local apri much which can be fun depending on how drunk you are. Very Happy

That was our 3rd trip to Ischgl and I'm sure we will go back, probably just not as regularly as our annual pilgrimage to the Hof.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@JimboS, yes I think that video is typical for December conditions, I’ve been about 6-7 times just before Christmas or over Christmas in Mayrhofen or Zillertal Arena. One year there was no snow off piste at all, and man made snow on piste, the other times there was some fresh snow on and off. Have been to Ischgl twice just before Christmas/over Christmas and I think yes, there was more snow just from it being higher altitude overall. It can really dump a lot there. At the time I wasn’t hugely into skiing off piste especially as the people I was skiing with at the time ski on piste only, off piste is not a thing for them. I couldn’t really test the off piste possibilities properly until the other week when I was there without them. It was marvellous but then it was a bluebird powder day, it was probably marvellous everywhere.

I agree it’s cheaper for food and drink in Mayrhofen for sure, I think the town is nicer too. Easier to get to on public transport than Ischgl is (but that was still fine). I think Mayrhofen despite the reputation for the apres ski is more of a family place.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@NickyJ, tried 47 today, very icy! Waited until noon and it still hadn’t softened up much.

@JimboS, Pistes are still excellent t and it might snow tomorrow.

Snowbombing flags went up today. I think it starts Monday. Noticed a few more young punks in town but no rowdiness. Good vibes. I imagine it gets v.busy tomorrow as it’s a public holiday.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh…it’s still super quiet. I don’t think I have seen it this quiet before at this time. Very few uk families and not many kids. No lift queues

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 6-04-23 20:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Matrix, I did warn you Laughing

(Ref run 47). Though it is probably notable purely because how good runs are tbh.

Last day skiing tomorrow for us. Lovely day again today.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm in the van tonight in the car park at Hintertux ahead of a day's skiing tomorrow before driving back over to Switzerland. Surprised how chilly it is, but it's definitely welcome
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@swskier, can you park a motorhome at Hintertux then overnight without any problems? Is there electric hook up or not?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@VolklAttivaS5, no electric hook up, but there's a bunch of vans up here.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@swskier, cool. Good to know.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Went over to Zell and Gerlos today. Pistes on Zell side very good condition, really nice snow up top. Gerlos side in much worse condition (altitude?). It started to snow heavily and wind picked up so headed back over the pass after lunch. Krimmer Xpress must be the coldest lift in the valley!

First snowbombers starting to arrive, plenty of tracksuits and white sneakers on show Smile
snow conditions
@Matrix, first time i've decided to pack it in for the day was after sitting on the Krimmer Xpress back in mid January, thought my big toes were going to fall off. New gondola going in should make things a lot better!

Had a fun day up at Hintertux yesterday, albeit visibility was really bad, but snow was great.
snow conditions
@Matrix, @swskier, oh yes that Krimml Xpress chair is bleak! I remember one of the first times I went to Zillertal Arena and it was windy and snowing as the afternoon went on.
You wouldn’t want to be stuck on there for very long if it stopped.
Great idea to put the gondola in, will make it much nicer and quicker.
snow conditions
when is the Gondala going in - the chair was out of action on Wednesday when we where there, which was a blessing in disguise I think Very Happy
latest report
Agreed, we gave up on the chair a few years ago, too many freezing journeys. There's always plenty to do on the Zell side for a day anyway.
snow conditions
@phil_o, thought I read in time for winter 23/24 but I could be wrong.
snow conditions
Yes I think they are doing it this summer ready for season start 23/24
snow conditions
Bonkers snowfall predicted this week. Last week of the season!
latest report
@Matrix, how much is coming?
snow report
https://www.bergfex.com/mayrhofen/wetter/berg/
snow report
Nearly 50cm tomorrow and then more the rest of the week
snow conditions
@Matrix, lovely
snow conditions
@VolklAttivaS5, have you considered Obertauern in December?
ski holidays
@Mother hucker, yeah been to Obertauern before but not in December.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mother hucker, I had a long weekend in Obertauern about 20 years ago in December. Conditions were a bit hard and bleak. The village was strung out along the main through road and was a bit ugly. I wouldn't go back. The main highlight was meeting Shaun Palmer in our hotel.
ski holidays
@JimboS, very small too, just over 100km of pistes so Mayrhofen on its own is bigger plus the rest of the Zillertal nearby.
snow report
how much of the Zillertal will be in play mid December? how much of the Hof in play compared to say Ischgl?
snow report
It's snowing in the valley this morning Laughing
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5, it is small but if you time it right, and get lucky with fresh snow, it doesn't feel too small. The pistes and the in between pistes all seem to merge into one with multiple lines from the lifts.
latest report
Mother hucker wrote:
how much of the Zillertal will be in play mid December? how much of the Hof in play compared to say Ischgl?

Been to both in mid December at least twice and there’s been plenty of snow, normally everything open pretty much, there are some lifts that open later in December in the Zillertal but in Ischgl as it opens late November I think the whole area has been open from memory, if anything has been closed it’s been due to wind.
So both Ischgl and Mayrhofen/Zillertal have more terrain available in mid Dec than Obertauern does because Obertauern is pretty small by comparison to Ischgl and the Zillertal.
snow conditions
@Jagerbull, true, but having been there (Obertauern) once I prefer Mayrhofen/the Zillertal and Ischgl given the choice so it would be between them for mid December/Christmas week.
snow conditions
Been looking at the web cams, the Hof really has been hit by a snowbomb!

https://www.bergfex.com/mayrhofen/webcams/c886/
snow conditions
Seems the snow is playing havoc with the closing parties at Snowbombing. Could be fantastic conditions next week!
snow conditions
And the Hochfügen end of season Seilrennen and party is cancelled Crying or Very sad
https://www.hochfuegenski.com/live-aktuelles/veranstaltungen/seilrennen/?gclid=CjwKCAjw8-OhBhB5EiwADyoY1RF5u93ShNBa1XxtA0QOIFxO7cuAQsQwHykiEdfiyMESMxhoZpiBUxoCkD0QAvD_BwE
latest report
I should have added... Due to the snow...

Still, Hochfügen closes on Sunday, we're skiing in Hintertux next week Toofy Grin
latest report
It just keeps coming and coming this month, shame everywhere is closing at the usual time but I guess it melts quicker when it’s not bashed and skied.

They will be wanting to get their animals back on the land soon.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy