Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendations for older skier - Thinking Passo Tonale or Pila

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking to take my Father on a week long ski trip. Probably mid to end Jan 2023. He's into his 80s and still fit and super keen, but perhaps slowing down a little and reaction times and general awareness not quite what they once were.

I'm thinking a smaller quieter resort might be appropriate with mainly easy beginner/intermediate runs, easy access to pistes from hotel and ideally not too many crowds or queues so we're less likely to lose each other.

Currently thinking Passo Tonale or Pila might fit the bill. Can anyone comment on these, or recommend anywhere else in Europe that might be appropriate? I'd also be interested in specific hotel recommendations.

Many Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Any of the French resorts like Les Acs or La Plagne or the 3 Valleys ...he can ski on a wide variety of slopes and its FREE ( lift pass) ...I am off for 2 weeks to take advantage of it!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pila would work ski-wise (although can get busy at the w/e).

Can’t comment on hotels as we stay in Aosta itself (at the bottom of the gondola), which is a lovely compact city with loads of amazing Roman features and some very good eateries.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh. Another thought. Pila can be COLD. Really cold… Which may or may not be an issue for the older skier.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tonale can get cold as well - the wc in my hotel room was set to trickle 24 hours a day so that the water didn't freeze in the pipe (which was set in an external wall). Tonale is also the only place I've been to where there was thunder and lightning during a snow storm.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Les Saisies would be perfect - there are lots of older skiers there! In fact it's a destination resort for a lively crowd of elderly British skiers who go there every year and stay in the nice, but rather expensive, Calgary Hotel, founded by Frank Piccard who won his Super G gold medal in the Calgary Olympics. Should be very good snow then, and uncrowded slopes. Attractive village, everything very close by. Plenty of cheaper accommodation too.

I think it would be quite a lot better for your purposes than either PT or Pila. If you are specially keen to go somewhere Italian, Corvara might suit though it might be hard to find accommodation as close to the slopes as you will in Saisies.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@paulrow, Welcome to Snowheads. Austria caters well for older skiers and as most resorts are valley based there are plenty of other things to do if weather or fatigue means you need a day off. Come to Flachau and I'd recommend the Forellenhof Hotel which always seems to have older tourists staying. I'd also recommend that you consider a day/night in Salzburg on one end of the trip. Beautiful city to explore. https://www.forellenhof.info/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

easy access to pistes from hotel and ideally not too many crowds or queues

These are key requirements. He will want the time between getting his boots on and his skis on (and getting them both off) to be as short as possible. 5 minutes is acceptable!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
KNoceros wrote:
Pila can be COLD. Really cold

Puzzled Puzzled ?? Que?? No more so than anywhere else ..
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@paulrow, Welcome to SHs Happy How much sking has your father done?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
@paulrow, Welcome to Snowheads. Austria caters well for older skiers and as most resorts are valley based there are plenty of other things to do if weather or fatigue means you need a day off. Come to Flachau and I'd recommend the Forellenhof Hotel which always seems to have older tourists staying. I'd also recommend that you consider a day/night in Salzburg on one end of the trip. Beautiful city to explore. https://www.forellenhof.info/

I wouldn't recommend Flachau for the OPs father. As you know it can be mad busy and you have to have your wits about you. Also Forellenhof is up a hill and would be a...short... bus ride to the lift.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
@paulrow, Welcome to SHs Happy How much sking has your father done?

Thanks a lot for the welcome and all the responses.

Dad started skiing later in life and has been maybe a half dozen times.

We're not looking for anything strenuous or challenging. A quiet resort with predominately easy runs is definitely preferred.

We'll be using public transport, or most likely do a package deal to keep things simple. This might rule out Les Saises but it does look interesting.

Thanks again.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@paulrow, cool. I know nothing about Austria so can’t comment. I might favour Italy over France for ambiance.

We are fans of Monterosa as family connections. Simon Brown used to run a very good company which sadly failed due Covid and has restarted here https://ski-champoluc.com/ worth checking out I’d imagine.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy