Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best French Alps area for Greens

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
Last year my wife and I went to Les Arc. Unfortunately after day 2 my wife really lost her confidence on the numerous blue runs to the point were she was considering never going skiing again by the end of our hols! It turned out to be an unpleasant experience for her which was such a shame.
I've managed to persuade her that we'll give it a go again this season and find a resort with loads of green runs for her. I'm fairly competent intermediate and happy on most reds so there'll be a bit of a gap between what we're after.
So ideally we need an area that will cater for us both. If the greens are high up then that would be great as we'll probably go early March.
Many thanks guys
John
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A place with good ski instructors. There are easy/ier places in most resorts. Morzine, Morrilon, but I would suggest a quieter place like St Foy. The green area between Tignes and Val d’Isere also looks very quiet, but not sure how easy is to get to/from there for a timid skier.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sounds like some confidence boosting lessons are the order of the day. Conditions play a huge factor in run difficulty and an instructor will factor that in.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alpe d'Huez has a big bowl of greens. I was also going to suggest some good lessons. Masterclass in Alpe d'Huez is a great independent ski school who I'm sure could help the OP's wife.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Theres a golf course in Tignes....................
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Courchevel 1850 runs into town are perfect for beginners. They are free too! Loads of stuff for you too and it’s a nice place.
https://www.seecourchevel.com/ski-area/beginners
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Northernsoul65, as well as supporting the comments above about instruction, I'd also suggest not focusing too much on runs graded 'green'.
A base with plenty of less busy, reasonably wide, not too steep blue graded runs are just as (if not more) likely to help Mrs NS to build confidence.

I think you were based in Bourg St Maurice when you skied Les Arcs, so would have started from and returned to Arc 1600 each afternoon; not ideal for beginners or nervous intermediates.
In Les Arcs, an 1800 or Plan Peisey base might have suited better. My point is, that the detail of where you stay and begin/end your skiing each day is important.

I'm a confident enough and experienced skier but still switch to high alert on some runs graded green in Val D'Isere, to minimise the increased risk of collisions. I've also been known to tense up a little on those narrow green paths, winding down the mountain, with a fall off into the forest on one side, rocks on the other, icy, Oh! There's a beginner class just ahead. Smile

Considering balancing both of your needs, along with your preference to go high, one of the bases in the La Plagne area might suit. Snow sure, lots of ski in/out accommodation, plenty of relatively easy cruisy blue runs, as well as more demanding blues and reds for you. A subjective opinion, not pretty architecture. Can also get crowded at peak times. Not much tree skiing for poor visibility weather.

Timing of your trip could be important. First week of March generally much busier and more expensive than mid March. French school winter holidays continue through first week of March.

Plenty of places in Austria, Italy, etc that would work better first week of March than the big French circuits.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@BobinCH,
Quote:

Courchevel 1850 runs into town are perfect for beginners.

That's a good shout too. Thinking of progression from greens to easyish blues in that area, as Mrs NS's confidence grows, I'd recommend a Courchevel 1650 accommodation base. Easy enough to access those lovely greens above 1850 on day 1 and 2, for example (free short bus ride). Then the blues above 1650 itself are great for that next step up in level. Sunny, less crowded than 1850, very difficult to get lost, nice restaurants and cafes both on the mountain and at base camp. If MrNS wanted to go further afield there are endless possibilities across the 3+ valleys.
Also Courchevel 1650 is substantially cheaper than 1850, though still not what I'd call cheap.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another shout for Courchevel 1850 - Some great ski schools and nearly a whole side of the mountain is green.

We used Supreme Ski for the Kids and had Scott (Frew?) for a Private lesson.

There is also New Gen, Oxygene, Snow Limits and BASS.

We stayed in the Hotel New Solarium in the Jardin Alpin area just above 1850

It's certainly not a cheap option for a ski holiday.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Les Saisies, where black is the new green.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alpe D'Huez
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm with @PeakyB. The colour coding can be deceptive, don't obsess about finding runs labelled green rather than blue but instead you may need a quick reconnoitre (maybe while your wife is having a lesson) to choose runs which are wide enough to allow a cautious skier to choose her route. Greens are more likely to be those narrow tracks.

The other thing to beware of is the odd blue run that has a short steep section that could easily have been graded red. That seems quite common, resorts seem to work on the basis when grading runs that they need blue run connections between different skiing areas and will grade accordingly. (To be fair, they sometimes ensure those steep sections are wider than they would be on a red run which does seem less daunting to a cautious skier).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
j b wrote:
I'm with @PeakyB. The colour coding can be deceptive, don't obsess about finding runs labelled green rather than blue but instead you may need a quick reconnoitre (maybe while your wife is having a lesson) to choose runs which are wide enough to allow a cautious skier to choose her route. Greens are more likely to be those narrow tracks.

The other thing to beware of is the odd blue run that has a short steep section that could easily have been graded red. That seems quite common, resorts seem to work on the basis when grading runs that they need blue run connections between different skiing areas and will grade accordingly. (To be fair, they sometimes ensure those steep sections are wider than they would be on a red run which does seem less daunting to a cautious skier).

Absolutely.

There is a lot of: "We don't have enough Blacks, so we'll make that Red into a Black (and vica versa, especially if going back into resort)"; "We need more Blues, so we'll make that Red into one"; "We don't have a Blue back to the resort, so we'll make a run that should be Red into a Blue"; "We need more Greens, so even if it can turn into sheet ice or gets moguls in the afternoon, then so be it". It's all about the resort stats that get quoted everywhere.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As suggested in another post Valmorel may be the ideal choice. Normally I would reccomend La Rosiere for beginners, but the number of poorly marked piste crossing makes this, in my opinion, some what scary for the nervious skier.

Reconsidering Arc 1600 - it would not be my choice for a nervous beginner. When I took some beginners there a few years ago ESF insisted they start from 1800 as the slopes were too steep in 1600 (they have now cut a serpent track down Combettes to make this easier). Basically there are 3 blue routes back to 1600: Mont Blanc, Arpette (previously known as Source) and Tranverse (previously Gollet). Though the bottom section of Mont Blanc is very wide and gentle the top is steep and narrow. At 24 degrees it is as steep as some blacks in some resorts. Though Arpette is of a good blue gradient a large part of it a narrow track with lots of skiers going as fast as they can down it, coupled with children diving off into the trees at the side and returning to the piste without looking it it can be intimidating for those of a nervous disposition. Gollet is the gentle way back, but it appears relatively unknown, perhaps because the signpost where you turn off the Arpette piste is labeled Arc1800.

@Northernsoul65, I don't blame your wife for getting nervous on Mont Blanc or Arpette. Other resorts will offer a gentler experience.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Les Saisies, as already suggested. With easy runs down from all the lifts. Beautiful scenery, nice village, and after the first week in March (which is still school holidays) will be quiet. Crowded pistes are horrific for nervous skiers.
snow report
mooney058 wrote:
The green area between Tignes and Val d’Isere also looks very quiet, but not sure how easy is to get to/from there for a timid skier.

With Steve Angus as your ski instructor. snowHead
ski holidays
@Northernsoul65, other vote for Courchevel. It's not just the pistes but the ski tuition options which help build confidence. Fid a good instructor and let him or her help your wife deal with her demons (rather than you!). In early March, lovely as sunny south facing slopes can be (i,e. Alpe d'Huez), I'd favour places where you don't get mush too early on a sunny day-hence the north facing slopes of Courchevel 1650 would be good. As others say-try not to get too obsessed with green runs. I think the important thing is to see and know where you are going, no rollers you can't see over, have lots of width, room to manoeuvre and quiet pistes. Courch 1650 has one or two runs that are tucked away where you can ski gently to the bottom (which is in sight) and then go about without jostling with the hoards.
snow conditions
Definitely Les Saisies. There are gentle wide blues as well as the greens and the easiest runs are close to the village.

she also needs lessons to boost her confidence I'd have thought.
snow report
Another +1 for 3V re greens. Unless things have changed in last few years (it's been a while since I was there) it's got plenty. Be careful on them - people often use greens ime to fly about resort very quickly, hoon around and frequently ski too fast for their (and more importantly others) good. A blue, even though harder may be a safer option, less side drop off's and slower pace - and infinitely more interesting i'd suggest, blues through the trees are good at holding the snow late season, and 3V has plenty of them.
snow report
In March this year those greens round the Jardin Alpin were a total slushfest when I accidentally ended up hacking down them. Not great for learners! Whereas the greens in the bowl on Bellevarde are much higher up and stay in decent nick from memory.
However having been in this predicament at one time I agree with the advice of lessons. Or could you even get her to try a few days on a ladies only course before she comes away with you, to build confidence and correct mistakes?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 20-09-22 20:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
Alpe D'Huez

Yeah and for the price you can't go wrong
latest report
Gainz wrote:
rayscoops wrote:
Alpe D'Huez

Yeah and for the price you can't go wrong

I remember going there as a boarder with one week of experience and it was incredible to gain confidence linking turns, basically a huge open area (rather than distinct pistes) at resort level classified as a green or easy blue (not those horrible cat-tracks) that you simply walk to... and accessed by a gondola so I didn't even need to worry about falling off a chair lift.

Absolutely fantastic for a cautious skier or novice boarder
latest report
@Northernsoul65, Alpes D'Huez or St Francois Langchamp if you want big areas of greens and easy blues to progress to.
But why France?
For a beginner Austria or Italy are much less intimidating than any moonscape high French mega resort. Pretty tree lined runs and quaint villages may be a way to go?
snow report
The OP didn't specify France, but all the replies have been about French places. I'm sure Austrian suggestions would be welcome. One reason why Les Saisies would be good would be lots of lovely gentle green and blue runs (many of them tree lined - why do some people think France has no trees?) within a stone's throw of accommodation, so short, undemanding, outings are possible, with minimum carrying of skis and clomping round in ski boots. And by the second week in March practically all the visitors will be French, practically all competent skiers and not inclined to hoon around out of control. The village is attractive, not high rise and the scenery stunning.
latest report
This gives a feel of the place. No concrete jungle, plenty of trees. Those tree lined runs opposite are actually amongst the steepest in the village - not recommended for the OP's wife but there are acres of easy runs. Crest Voland, which is a bit lower and (easy) lift linked, is ALL tree lined runs.

snow report
pam w wrote:
This gives a feel of the place. No concrete jungle, plenty of trees. Those tree lined runs opposite are actually amongst the steepest in the village - not recommended for the OP's wife but there are acres of easy runs. Crest Voland, which is a bit lower and (easy) lift linked, is ALL tree lined runs.

Fewer idiots on skis from what I saw compared to some of the big resorts.
ski holidays
@pam w, you've convinced me*, but Les Saisies might be less attractive to the OP if he is looking for tour operator arrangements (i.e. organised transfer from Geneva airport to the accommodation). Not everyone drives over as first choice, and using car rental from the airport as the transfer is uneconomic at the moment.

[*Our season lift pass for St Gervais includes 3 days in other resorts, so we will aim to use one of those for Espace Diamant. Mind you that was our plan in 2020 until a certain pandemic brought skiing to a stop].
snow report
Yes indeed - there are no tour operators to LS though Peak Retreats have some very nice apartments there. Their portfolio is on the expensive side - there are loads of small, cheap, options which are pretty near ski in/out. There's no easy public transport options either, though it's an easy drive from Gva. The lack of tour operators has the advantage that there are none of those Brit skiers who think they're terrific.

Les Saisies doesn't have the most interesting skiing in the Espace Diamant - that's to be found in Notre Dame de Bellecombe (accessed from the big chair in Praz sur Arly for somebody coming from your direction, @j b). But LS keeps it snow better than many a more well known resort and is definitely the place for nervous skiers, not least because of the lack of scary "drop offs" which can be unnerving. The north facing slopes of Mont Bisanne, where this photo was taken, are one big gentle, open, area.

If the OP and his wife are seeking "togetherness" on the slopes they could do worse than take a week of cross country lessons - on one of the finest XC domains in France.

But if she's determined to stick with downhill - I strongly support the advice about lessons. And could recommend a lovely French instructor with a twinkle in his eye.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As a few others have said Alpe D'Huez would be perfect. Probably 75% of the bowl right above the resort is green and serviced by ~10 lifts so outside the morning/lunch time rushes there's plentry of space for everyone to spread out over.

Not the most interesting/challenging place for advanced skiers but great for beginners.
latest report
Quote:

Not the most interesting/challenging place for advanced skiers but great for beginners.

I gather the tunnel run can be a tad testing in certain conditions
ski holidays
j b wrote:

This is no more true than Val D'Isere, where they ridiculously graded the half pipe down to resort as a blue-I suspect because there are fewothers. Back when I was a novice this really knocked my confidence and I ended up holding up half the mountain as I cautiously lowered myself down to resort level. A few years later some friends went and when I heard one of them had broken their leg, I correctly guessed the exact spot. It really is out of order.
snow report
pam w wrote:
The OP didn't specify France, but all the replies have been about French places. I'm sure Austrian suggestions would be welcome. One reason why Les Saisies would be good would be lots of lovely gentle green and blue runs (many of them tree lined - why do some people think France has no trees?) within a stone's throw of accommodation, so short, undemanding, outings are possible, with minimum carrying of skis and clomping round in ski boots. And by the second week in March practically all the visitors will be French, practically all competent skiers and not inclined to hoon around out of control. The village is attractive, not high rise and the scenery stunning.

Check the thread title Pamela
snow report
@Ryunis,
Quote:

pam w wrote:

Correct @Ryunis, Cool
However, a very rare slip up by @pam w, who gives masses of great advice on here.
I think @pam w, has a good point anyway. I mentioned myself in a response above that, if intending to go 1st week of March, Austria or Italy, for example, would be good options.

It seems reasonable to justify deviating from the exact question posed by the OP, for example 'why all green runs?, blues are often easier'.
'Why very busy France 1st week in March? Go later or to a different country that same week'.

Overall, I think the quality of advice is more important than slavishly following the letter of the OP's question.
snowHeads don't just think outside the box, they punch holes through each side wink
snow report
@Northernsoul65, what you think of it so far?
snow report
Meribel - particularly the Altiport area. Doesn't get greener than that really - very good for the nervous. Then you have all of the 3Vs for the rest of you.
ski holidays
PeakyB wrote:
@Ryunis,
Quote:

pam w wrote:

Correct @Ryunis, Cool
However, a very rare slip up by @pam w, who gives masses of great advice on here.
I think @pam w, has a good point anyway. I mentioned myself in a response above that, if intending to go 1st week of March, Austria or Italy, for example, would be good options.

It seems reasonable to justify deviating from the exact question posed by the OP, for example 'why all green runs?, blues are often easier'.
'Why very busy France 1st week in March? Go later or to a different country that same week'.

Overall, I think the quality of advice is more important than slavishly following the letter of the OP's question.
snowHeads don't just think outside the box, they punch holes through each side wink

I'm only jesting. Indeed, I see @pam w on various topics and have concluded that she has a wealth of knowledge and good advice. Personally I would avoid holiday weeks in France, which unfortunately take up a good chunk of the season. I have been on the wrong side of a couple of group decisions to take a holiday during French holidays and spent far too much precious time queueing for lifts or avoiding erratic skiers on packed pistes..
ski holidays
@Ryunis, good, we're all agreed then snowHead
latest report
Yes - sorry! However, the second week of March (the first after the 4 week French school hols) is often the very best week of the season in French resorts.
snow report
Les Saisies looking the other way:

ski holidays
@pam w,
Quote:

the second week of March (the first after the 4 week French school hols) is often the very best week of the season in French resorts.

Yeah but keep it quiet.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy