Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snoworks in Tignes - 2-10 Dec 06

Poster: A snowHead
cathy, cathy, at long last we have an intelligent post from the pair of you rolling eyes

Glad its going well though Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ray Zorro, this is v dificult to type on here; so going to sign of now: bye snowHead Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cathy, I dunno, considering you were IncogSkiSno for some of the time, there were less typos than normal Confused
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
cathy wrote:
...whether we fly back into the North or South terminal - and I need to tell my 'taxi' wink where to collect from, not that it's much hassle to get to the other terminal anyway.

Cathy - if you're flying back with Excel, it'll be into the South terminal Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ray Zorro wrote:
cathy, I dunno, considering you were IncogSkiSno for some of the time, there were less typos than normal Confused

Your so cruel, ................but always honest Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It just goes to show that you can hate some of the people all of the time .

Who would be nasty enough to text those at home with pictures of themselves on snow Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

These would rolling eyes .

cathy, Tomsk and IncogSkiSno.

All I can say is that I hope the lessons hurt Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Update on weather conditions from Incog...

Quote:

Overnight snow and it is still snowing. Vis could be better but at least we have nice fresh snow to ski on.

I'm going to ignore any further texts Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ray Zorro, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ray Zorro, Is it my screen, or does it look as if Incog is standing in yellow snow? Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It does look yellow doesn't it?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
geri, Laughing well apparently it was before the lesson - so I guess it could have been nerves kicking in (or leaking out) Confused
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Is IncogSkiSno the Smurf on the right wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman, The lady in blue Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Is IncogSkiSno the Smurf on the right wink

The Smurf is indeed stood next to the Womble.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sunday 6, Monday 0 wink
snow report
Hello again! Looks like I'm making a bit more sense Toofy Grin The score above from Tomsk was the number of wipeouts inflicted on others - including his own group rolling eyes Very Happy New user name should be 'Take em out Tomsk' Madeye-Smiley

Thanks fr the infor re S Terminal Michelle - you just can't getcorrect info these days wink

Weather update - weather closed in Monday, all got chucked off the glacier about 2 pm - we were lucky ones in correct position to be able to ski down Double M, others had hiking to do Madeye-Smiley Weather today was lovely & sunny but all lifts frozen, didn't open until about 11.00.

Fooloishly I've chosen to have lessons am & pm - big up to my instructors John New Generation and Stewart currently with ESF in Tignes (and a resident lurker - come on Stewart, you can come out wink , excellent instrucion & felt I've learnt so much already. My legs are holding out so far but yet to have a full 6 hours instruction Shocked

Meant to dump it tonight & tomorrow with high winds - should make for interesting skiing.

Incog is just looking at her video feedback & it sounded as if she did very well.

Laters peeps! snowHead
ski holidays
cathy, glad you're having fun! Very Happy Keep us in rain/windswept uk up to date!
ski holidays
Tomsk wrote:
Sunday 6, Monday 0 wink

Thought it was the number of bottles of wine consumed Laughing Embarassed
latest report
geri wrote:
Tomsk wrote:
Sunday 6, Monday 0 wink

Thought it was the number of bottles of wine consumed Laughing Embarassed

Cathy, Incog and Mr. Incog are consuming that much each night.

No 'take-outs' today or yesterday. I'll try harder tomorrow. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Finally got back this afternoon after quite a journey this morning. Check out at 4.30 am, with coach picking us up at 5.15 for the transfer to Geneva - only the bus came off the road on the way to pick us up & the replacement didn't get to us till 7, with the slowest driver possible who even managed to get lost round Geneva airport. We finally turned up at Geneva 10 mins after the flight should have left, luckily they delayed the flight for us.

Will do a full report later, suffice it to say I had a fab week, met loads of really nice people and had great instruction. Good to meet rob@rar on Thurs - it was really good of him to make the effort to come & see me & Incog & Tomsk, even though it meant he managed to view my video feedback whilst waiting Embarassed Embarassed No, there won't be a 'rate my skiing' thread......

And thanks for all the highly amusing comments above - I just knew it was asking for the 'making about sense as usual' comments rolling eyes Toofy Grin

Make you realise how many people do view snowHeads - an instructor who shall remain nameless Madeye-Smiley came up to me at the beginning of the week and said - I've met the womble, you must be the one skiing in the red jacket..... And someone in my group had come across this thread just a week or so ago.

Incog, Tomsk and I were all skiing in different groups so we'll probably have different takes on the week. I'm pretty sure though everyone really enjoyed it.

As we left the resort the snow was thick on the ground although they were only just beginning to open up a few other runs. Will have to get my skis down for a good service, they have taken a bit of a beating on the Double M piste with the rocks & stones
snow report
Sounds like a great week cathy, Glad you had fun! Very Happy
snow conditions
cathy wrote:
Will do a full report later, suffice it to say I had a fab week, met loads of really nice people and had great instruction. Good to meet rob@rar on Thurs - it was really good of him to make the effort to come & see me & Incog & Tomsk, even though it meant he managed to view my video feedback whilst waiting Embarassed Embarassed No, there won't be a 'rate my skiing' thread......

You'd have nothing to fear from a thread like that Smile

It was good to meet you, Incog and Tomsk, although it was all too brief (I know how hectic Snoworks weeks can be). Hope skiing was good on Friday and Saturday - conditions have improved a great deal with the snow that fell this weekend.
snow conditions
Good report from the lady in red. hmmm, cathy, do you know Chris de Burgh?
ski holidays
Ditto cathy - I had a fantastic week, and after the 4.00 am start this morning I am too tired to write up a report at the mo.
latest report
Looking forward to all the goss laydeeees Very Happy
latest report
My week:

Our journey ran like clockwork - we soon found ourselves in the Aguille Percee settling down to large portions of tea and cakes.

The first evening Phil Smith (a man with immense energy and charm) introduced himself and his Instructors, explaining that he wouldn’t be instructing himself as he was with the SCGB for that week. I think most people, initially, were a little disappointed that Phil wouldn’t be instructing himself, but in reality only one group would have received instruction from him.

We skied with Stuart Bernard (www.skifocus.co.uk ) and my disappointment of not skiing with Phil, was soon diminished. Stuart was an excellent instructor, great fun, showing immense patience and taking time to break down each move to ensure easy understanding. We skied some off-piste in poor visibility, and he really took myself and my fellow group members out of our comfort zones.

Last week Tignes suffered with some poor weather conditions, high winds with snowfall making visibility and skiing conditions in general quite poor. The lifts were often breaking down, causing long queues, and we even arrived late for a class after being stuck on the T bar, and then deciding to walk to the restaurant, which in retrospect was a bad decision as we were late for our class, missed lunch and were totally shattered. The final end of the week the real snow finally arrived, but the lift situation and skiing conditions at altitude still hadn't improved.

The only restaurant open on the mountain was Le Panoramic, which should be avoided at all costs if you are wishing to eat; the food was dire and expensive. We took the safest option by opting for pizza, which we still had to be microwaved as it was barely warm. Restaurant du Neige in Val Claret opposite the bus stop served great pizza (too much to eat) €9. Bagus café, first floor, just up from the Spar shop in Le Lac served great pizzas, beurittos, and vin chaude.

The Chalet Aguille Parcee, was comfortable (a little too warm at times) - they were suffering from a few glitches, but managed to overcome most of them. The young staff were enthusiastic and did their best to ensure we were looked after, particularly in supplying copious amounts of wine to our table. Toofy Grin

During the evening we had presentations and feed back from our instructors, after analysing video footage of the day’s skiing, including myself falling over on the off-piste run. Embarassed The video footage was particluarly useful, highlighting weak areas that you most definitely aren't aware of.

Thanks to Phil, my SO now wishes to go on the Chile trip at a mere £5,000 Shocked It did look great fun though and certainly a trip of a lifetime.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed my week. We made lots of new friends, had some great laughs along the way, and we would definitely consider another snoworks course again. It was great to meet up with Rob@rar, cathy and Take ‘em out Tomsk.

Big thanks to Phil Smith and the team, and especially our instructor Stuart Bernard (who finally remembered all of our names) our fellow course members, and the Mark Warner crew who all made our week so enjoyable. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 11-12-06 12:34; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
IncogSkiSno, Nice report. We all harp on about how important empty slopes, snow conditions, modern lifts, varied terrain & large ski areas are to the enjoyment of our ski holiday. Your snoworks trip seems to mirror the PSB in that we had the benfit of none of those vital factors. In reality all we need is a bit of snow, some exercises to practise, and some good company. Very Happy
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, absolutely! Toofy Grin

Forgot to mention, I skied on Rossi B2's 166 which seemed to cope with the varied terrain. I would normally opt for 160's and was desperate to try out some Burnin Luvs, but the ski hire shop didn't have any.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great write-up, IncogSkiSno. snowHead

Glad to hear you all had a really enjoyable week.

Looking forward to reading Cathy and Tomsk's reports soon.
ski holidays
Aaaagh - what am I doing back here??? Sat at my desk after a long morning meeting, staring out at the grey wet day outside - where's the snow? I want to go and practise all my newly-learned (I hope!) skills!

Good report IncogSkiSno & totally agree. My report will follow at some stage......

Oh - and happy birthday to Stewart! snowHead Toofy Grin
latest report
IncogSkiSno, The Panoramic restaurant isn't that bad. It is more expensive than eating down in the resort, but the daily specials were good whenever I tried them and there isn't much that can go wrong with steak hache or chicken with chips.

The fast (and cheap) option is to just get a plate of stuff from the cold buffet. With a bit of practice you can pile it up quite high but you don't end up so full that you are unable to bend all afternoon.

The Aspen coffee shop in Val Claret is also good.
snow report
rjs wrote:
The Panoramic restaurant isn't that bad.

Not in my experience. Every meal I've had there has been strangely devoid of taste. Unfortunately in the pre-season it's the only option, other than a bit of bread and cheese from the breakfast table to be eaten when you're riding up a drag lift.

Agree about the cold buffet. By far the best option, especially if you spent your student days loading up the small plate with items from the salad bar in Pizza Hut Wink
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
cathy wrote:

You'd have nothing to fear from a thread like that Smile

Thank you - although I think you are far too kind! Toofy Grin

Quote:
It was good to meet you, Incog and Tomsk, although it was all too brief (I know how hectic Snoworks weeks can be). Hope skiing was good on Friday and Saturday - conditions have improved a great deal with the snow that fell this weekend.

Skiing was pretty limited on Friday & Saturday - really only the Double M open & that was not too pleasant with the hordes of skiers on it, strong winds & plenty of stony bits. By the time they opened up some other runs on the Saturday (about 3 pm ish) I'd already got changed ready to go out and sample some vin chaud.....

I didn't realise how busy it would be on a Snoworks week - didn't even get to open my book, never mind read anything Shocked

The soup was shocking at the Panoramic - but I kept giving it a chance! Finally gave up on the second to last day....
snow conditions
IncogSkiSno, Nice report. Glad to hear the B2's performed, the tips are twitching on my 178's just thinking about it! Very Happy Mrs Axs luv's her Burnin luvs. snowHead
snow report
cathy, I wasn't impressed with the Panoramic either, but the Fondue & Pizza at the Restuarant du Neige are great! (too much if taken together though! snowHead
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, good report! So, Stuart's moonlighting, is he? I thought he was supposed to be Mr Money's representative in Killy-land! What did the others think? Awaiting reports from cathy and Tomsk now! snowHead
snow report
My week started out in fine form, taking out six other skiers and boarders, both on and off piste. Unfortunately my promising early form couldn’t be sustained and the rest of the week I only took out one more skier. However towards the end of the week I was taking various ladies out to lunch and dinner though. wink

I also had Stuart B as my instructor, but in the lowest of the low groups. A couple of people in my group defected to other groups – I don’t think it was my hit-man reputation that scared ‘em off though. Apart from Friday, our group managed to get a decent amount of slope time with Stuart and I learnt a lot from him. The video feedback was very useful. An additional bonus were the lessons in queue jumping. Twisted Evil

A special thanks to Stewart W (my internet stalker Shocked ) who gave up his Saturday morning in front of football TV to give our group an extra lesson to make up for the one we missed on Friday. I must mention Kevin who managed to get Stewart W to sing “The Twist” while twisting down the slopes. Laughing

Cathy, IncogSkiSno and I actually met in the passport queue at Geneva airport. I met Stewart W at the bottom of the Funicular when he identified me as a Womble. I only had a few minutes to talk to Rob@rar as I was dragged away by two hungry young ladies. Very Happy Hopefully there will be a few more new snowheads from Tignes as I told virtually everyone I met to sign up. snowHead

I won’t mention the food, weather or piste conditions, but I will suggest that everyone should check their trip dates against the various EU bank holidays as Tignes suffered a Spanish invasion. Mad

Despite the conditions, I thoroughly enjoyed my trip. Very Happy
snow conditions
It is difficult to do a report for something like this – where do you start? I’ll try not to repeat Incog’s report…

Hard work or good fun? I certainly had to work very hard, was heaving for breath at times but what a laugh we had! I was with a great group of about 6 people (level 3/4 for those that know the levels). We were all (mostly) there to really try to improve and were pretty motivated (to the extent that all in our group opted for the double tuition morning and afternoon Shocked ). The double tuition actually turned out pretty well, as when the skiing was limited and weather was bad, runs shut, our instructors still made sure we got the most out of our skiing – as well as being able to jump the lift queues! And the quick swig of Grand Marnier from Jill’s hip flask made those cold lifts all the more bearable! Toofy Grin But what fun we had – from woohoooing down the fresh untracked deep powder down the side of the Roslin to doing the twist (dance) with our legs to try to get lower body separation. Sander – what a hero you were at that! Even skiing backwards & doing 360 turns (which I was hopeless at!). snowHead snowHead And my fitness level was OK - at least it didn't hold me back.

All this tuition didn’t leave much free time – met up with the instructors for a quick coffee about 9am, lunch was ¾ hour and afternoon session finished at 4 – just time for the gang to have a vin chaud or two at the bottom of the funicular before rushing back to the hotel before tea & cakes finished at 5.30. Time for a quick shower & change, then drink in the bar and dinner time. Good food, although not always as hot as it could be, and loooads of wine freely available. Toofy Grin

Going it alone: it did feel very strange going on a ski holiday without the OH, all those normal routine things we do I was doing by myself. I did actually miss him a lot – and sometimes I really missed him!! Shocked And I think of myself as a pretty independent person. Everyone of course was very friendly and inviting (I think they took pity on the old biddy by herself wink ) but it was difficult at times, especially as so many people there were couples, not to feel a hanger-onner. I tried to spread myself around a bit wink It was great to have Incog & Mr Incog there, and Tomsk, but being in different groups meant doing different things & finishing at different times during the day with different groups of people. Very disappointed though that Mr Incog never got to have a Flatliner (sambucca & tequila, with tobasco sauce in the middle Madeye-Smiley ). That slight moment of panic with eating out on the chalet night off – do I go and invite myself with someone else’s group?? As it turned out, had a really nice meal at the Clin d’Oeuil (sp?) – lovely French food in a tiny little restaurant. Highly recommended for anyone looking for a good restaurant in Le Lac. I won’t mention here Tomsk’s clubbing expedition with 3 young ladies – although he didn’t actually confirm if he pulled! Toofy Grin

Tuition: as I said, I had 2 great instructors, John Thomas from New Generation in Les Arcs and Stewart Woodward, currently with ESF in Tignes (Happy Birthday! Toofy Grin 21 again?? wink ). Both really good instructors, different styles and angles coming to the same result which really complemented each other. I certainly feel as if my skiing has improved – the proof will be in the next holiday (must remember: peaches not lemons!) Bumps are my friends! Very Happy As Incog said, some on the course did feel a bit miffed that neither Phil Smith nor Gareth Roberts was instructing, as they were instructing the SCGB reps training course for 2 weeks. But I had excellent instruction anyway and Phil was certainly around on the slopes and afterwards – and managed to see the one time I fell getting off the T-bar! Embarassed

I am a bit stuck now though for future lessons – I had planned to have some private tuition when I go to Kitzbuhel in Jan – but I fear all my newly learned techniques will be unlearnt and it will be focusing on facing down the hill, rise & fall & pole planting. Yup, I’ve been snoworks-indoctrinated! Currently thinking the week in Hintertux in May looks like fun!

Conditions on the glacier: the first day was great, went out with Sarah, the ski host with Mark Warner and with whom we had a great first and last day skiing. The snow was in good condition, not hard-packed and icy as I’d feared. As Incog said, we did have some bad weather during the week, with high winds and poor visibility, but that only meant for better skiing the next day! Without the instructors, skiing would have been pretty limiting and I might even have got bored on the same few runs!

Verdict: excellent week and I thought very good value for money. Would I do it again? Absolutely!

Edited to correct spelling

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 12-12-06 9:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Tomsk wrote:
I must mention Kevin who managed to get Stewart W to sing “The Twist” while twisting down the slopes. Laughing

Great to see the instructees getting their own back! Stewart got us to ski down Double M minus poles, singing: The wheels on the bus go round & round - with hand actions! Although only Gill was mad enough to actually do it! Found out later he had a bet with Lee that he could get his group (us!) to do it Toofy Grin
latest report
IncogSkiSno, cathy, Tomsk, Great reports, well worth the effort you have put in and you all obviously had a great week despite the weather etc. Toofy Grin
If nothing else it has made me think that I really ought to have a lesson or two that I have been promising myself!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy