Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis for a junior slalomist

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,
I've got a daughter who is a member of the ski club for years. She is 12 years old, and obviously, soon the season starts. As usually, I am completing equipment for her, due to growth, everything must be adjusted. She is quite tall for her age - 167cm(~50kg). I decided to go with Head WCR iGS RD 176cm, r23 for giant, keeping in mind, she is well built but for longer distances, she needs a little lighter but still stiff and relatively heavy skis so I chose to pick a little shorter ones.
The problem I have is with the slalom skis. I am having an impression, that Head has changed its nomenclature, and relabeled the naming of skis and changed graphics/colors, which makes me extremely confused.
Can anyone tell me is there a difference between in iSL RD and iSL RD Team ? Is there iSL or eSL now ? I do not want to equip my kid with softer skis than she was equipped in the previous season. She is skiing very aggressively and her technique is on the expert level.

Best regards,
Darek
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From looking at the Ultrafun and Ski Clinic websites, the e.SL RD Team looks to be a lower level ski than the e.SL RD.

What SL skis was she using last winter?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rjs wrote:
From looking at the Ultrafun and Ski Clinic websites, the e.SL RD Team looks to be a lower level ski than the e.SL RD.

What SL skis was she using last winter?

For slalom WRC i.SL RD team 150 cm, for now I am looking at 155-156cm.
For giant, i.GS RD team 165cm.
Right now, she is in the middle of juniors and adults, the 176cm giant skis are kinda on the edge, she should be slowly getting onto 181, but because of her health condition, she cannot manage very long distances having much heavier weights on her feet. Which means, it is going to be a transitional year onto equipment for masters.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Maybe go with the e.SL RD 151cm rather than going to an adult ski?

For GS, I would also look at the gate distances of the typical courses she will be skiing in, a 12yo could still be in fairly tight courses. Have you spoken to her club coaches about the best length for her?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rjs wrote:
Maybe go with the e.SL RD 151cm rather than going to an adult ski?

For GS, I would also look at the gate distances of the typical courses she will be skiing in, a 12yo could still be in fairly tight courses. Have you spoken to her club coaches about the best length for her?

Of course, I am a very active parent, even coaching my kid setting courses by my own.
According to the given information, this season she is going to be competing with U14(being U12 herself), so the radius is not that tight, r23 should be okay for giant slalom. We have a simple math for calculating roughly the length of the skis. For SL it is 0,9 x height of racer, for GS it is roughly 1.1 x height of racer(among girls). Some of trainers are very ambitious, and even shorter and younger than my kid, was last season equipped with master skis, what in my opinion is a little crazy. My kid is well built, strong, so believe she will handle the transition, and that, must come at some point. Due to her height that is the time.
We need to be also precautions, in the end of last season, during the competition, her skis during the competitions were wobbling, she lost the balance and fell over. But still, she turned out to be fifth in giant slalom in Sweden, during an international party. Anyway, thank you very much for making me sure there is a difference between RD team and RD skis, that was the thing I was needing very much.
For giant she goes with iGS RD 176cm, for slalom, she will stay at 150cm iSL RD team(at least for now, due to her height - the season starts in 3 months, so if she gets to 1.70 of height, i will equip her with 155cm e-sl. But as I look at the head website right now, I do not see RD for slalom section. Now they divided their equipment into Rebel team and FIS and pro.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy