Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Peage doofer

Poster: A snowHead
Dear all,

Planning our drive down to Val D’Isère Feb 2023. Like many others we’ve not been skiing since Feb 2020. We usually drive and use an APRR doofer. I got it back in 2017 so thinking the battery might be gone by the time we need it. Before I attempt to get another, are the APRR doofers worth getting or are there cheaper ones available?

Thanks for your help.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Page23, it's quite easy to order another one through your APPR account, then return the old one. Now you actually have it, I don't think there is a cheaper alternative. May not be worth the hassle to change.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
APRR doofer is now Mango doofer. The deal is still the same but now requires bank account iban rather than being able to link to credit card. The english website also works better as well.

https://www.mango-mobilitesbyaprr.com/en

And you can also now have it work in Spain, Portugal and Italy in addition to France if you want.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Hells Bells,

Thanks.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@adithorp,

Thanks, that’s helpful
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm planning to get one ... I have a euro bank account and debit card but no credit card. Should I be looking at this one or are there others?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holidayloverxx wrote:
I'm planning to get one ... I have a euro bank account and debit card but no credit card. Should I be looking at this one or are there others?

After 25+ years without, I got Mango late last year when they had an offer. Likewise euro account, for French mortgage. Absolutely fine in all respects.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I had/have an aprr doofer. Because of the pandemic I didn't use it in a while and my card had expired so they'd closed the account.

But they sent the forms to set up again, send a new doofer and all was OK in the end.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
holidayloverxx wrote:

There are others but this was as good when I was checking earlier this summer. A few mates were looking at the same time and all came to the same conclusion.
No need for French account or credit card.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the replies and help. Regarding the Mango one, am I correct in understanding that one pays a charge for the month only when you are in a country of use (in addition to the incurred peage tariff)? Are there any hidden costs?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Check the small print...ours is with bip&go and they charge a fee if it's not used at least once in the year. We didn't relise until the pandemic and we couldn't go anywhere! I know other providers don't make the same charge though.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How to check your tag status and a list of providers plus related issues (like sun strips blocking the signal, issues with setting up payments to some providers etc.) were discussed in the thread on tag advice.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@LaForet, thanks thats helpful.

Idiot question...which lane is the 30kph lane....the one with the green arrow or the one with a T ?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

..which lane is the 30kph lane.

...The one with a British plate Porsche Cayenne reversing slowly back out of it...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have had problems with Mango...if you have no French bank account your UK one has to accept SEPA payments and not all of them do ( two of mine dont ) I am in the process of testing this out with my credit cards IBAN number which they need to check out Puzzled Puzzled
snow conditions
holidayloverxx wrote:

Idiot question...which lane is the 30kph lane....the one with the green arrow or the one with a T ?
The one with a T and a 30. Usually on the left hand side of the gates (overtaking lane). However the first one out of Calais on the A26 is on the right.
latest report
My Santander account wouldnt work on IBAN for mango
Fortunately Revolut does!
snow report
I got a Mango tag back at the start of the year and didn't have any issues setting up the Direct Debit with a UK/£ NatWest bank account.

@Page23, correct. You get a €1.70 charge added to your bill but ONLY in months you actually use the tag. For the standard Feb. half term trip that means just a single €1.70 charge. Drive down for New Years and you're looking at €3.40 (€1.70 on the Dec. bill for the drive out and another €1.70 on the Jan. one for the drive back).

@holidayloverxx, I think almost everywhere you can use the tag in any lane, but only use the tag in the "t" lanes. Not all "t" labes are "30kph" ones though and the ones that are have a big "30" sign next to the "t" one. Generally "t" lanes will be on the left side/cash ones on the right.
snow conditions
Here's the toll southbound on the Autoroute des Anglais at Setques, with one lane designated both [T] and (30). On bigger tolls, there's usually a (30) on the left for cars and often on the right for lorries and you can use either. And on larger tolls, other lanes may be designated [T] as well.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.7193537,2.1720625,3a,75y,132.81h,75.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sp-OugavB88nzwccmtaDVfA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

(Because the forum's platform software has a bug in it re URLs, you'll have to copy and paste the whole string. It can't cope with a '!' in the string for some reason. Ditto the link below for the northbound view.)

In terms of thought process, as I approach, scanning from left to right, I first look for a [T] and then a (30). Going through a [T] is only marginally slower than a (30). What you don't want to do is get confused by all the other icons like credit card etc. and end up joining a cash/card-only queue. Re the photo above, be aware they might change the lane designations from the day this was shot.

Here's the other side of the toll station, northbound, which is much more complicated with ten lanes - the sort of thing that can be daunting if you're not prepared:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.7190033,2.1731918,3a,75y,328.57h,92.57t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sREeOuUThFkUyp-vqzZYlNw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

You can see there is the usual height-restricted (30)[T] on the far left and another high-vehicle (30)[T] four along, plus a standard [T] fourth from the right and one that's closed. A further complication is that the right three lanes take you off on another route. And this one has one lane that takes coins and the rest take only cards. This is the last one northbound before you get to Calais, so it's a good idea to be prepared and keep to the centre/left as you approach. Overall, just be aware they can change the lane designations at will, so you can't be 100% sure how any station will be laid out.

I find that as well as Cayennes, it's often a Bently or Range Rover that tailgates me as I keep left on the approach to the tolls and then lurches across the carriageway when they realise I'm entering a (30)[T] and they don't have a tag. Then blasts past me a bit later up the autoroute to catch up. Which isn't a good idea on this final section of the AdA because the Gendarmerie are particularly hot around UKs speeding there. And why someone spends that much on a luxury car and doesn't get a tag is beyond me.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 15-09-22 10:21; edited 16 times in total
snow conditions
Thanks again to everyone. Bloody love my fellow snowheads.
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Quote:

..which lane is the 30kph lane.

...The one with a British plate Porsche Cayenne reversing slowly back out of it...

Or a mazda 6 ...I think Embarassed
snow report
BergenBergen wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

The one with a T and a 30. Usually on the left hand side of the gates (overtaking lane). However the first one out of Calais on the A26 is on the right.

There is usually a 30 lane on the far right as well, which doesn't have height barriers, for lorries/coaches etc. Got very good at spotting these as apparently a Land Rover Discovery with roofbox won't go through height restriction ones Embarassed
ski holidays
Good point - if you have an SUV+roofbox or bicycles on the roof then there's the extra complication of height-restricted lanes. If you have either, then don't get so fixated on identifying a [T] that you miss the height barrier and your bicycles are ripped off. Something which I've seen with a GB at a toll station further south.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 14-09-22 14:56; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
For the last five years we've used an Auto Tunnel Mont Blanc tag - ATMB- without issue and its a very easy system and the offers across providers are about the same. If they weren't the issuer would lose business.

The payment comes from our french bank account making life easy and their site is easy to navigate to get invoices etc

When approaching the tag lanes, I tend to leave a decent gap behind the vehicle in front as you do get non tag cars coming in as they see the easy flow traffic.

I've used it on my motorbike in the summer months but have used the right hand truck lanes and kept away from other vehicles so that the toll recognises that I'm on a bike and not a car or truck.
latest report
It seems they dont like credit cards but here is the reply
Monsieur,

Vous nous questionnez concernant la souscription au télépéage MANGO et nous vous en remercions.

Nos contrats sont soumis au prélèvement automatique SEPA par IBAN.

Le débit sur carte bancaire n’est pas proposé. Nous regrettons de ne pouvoir accéder à votre demande.

Vous pouvez choisir d’enregistrer un compte bancaire domicilié à l’étranger, à condition qu’il permette les prélèvements à la norme européenne SEPA. Pour le savoir, testez votre numéro d’IBAN en cliquant ICI.

Il convient donc au préalable de vous renseigner auprès de votre établissement bancaire pour savoir si la banque permet les prélèvements à la norme SEPA Européenne et de leur fournir le mandat en pièce jointe.

En revanche, si celui-ci n’est pas éligible à la norme SEPA, nous ne pourrons pas vous fournir de badge.

Nous vous présentons nos excuses pour la gêne occasionnée.

Un grand merci pour votre fidélité et bonne route avec Mango mobilités by APRR

here is the link for you tocheck whether your account will work

https://www.ibancalculator.com/iban_validieren.html
snow report
I would say, don't use the 30k lane the first time you use a new doofer just in case it doesn't work (me and @pigeondave, have had a faulty new ones). Even with an old one, the first gate of a trip seems to me to take a bit longer kmight just be doofer anxiety) so I go a normal lane first time.

Also remember it's 30kph max so at 20 the barrier will go up in plenty of time. At 29kph it's a nail biter. I think there's been an upgrade to a lot of the sensors though and response times seemed much quicker this summer.
snow report
I think they stopped allowing french CC's a while ago due to a change in French law. SANEF opened an office in Harrogate to get around it for UK customers but APRR carried on allowing UK customers to use CC. When my old account got cancelled I hot 2 reasons. One that the card had expired and the other that CC linked accounts weren't allowed (but that was via Google translate so could be wrong).
ski holidays
Looking like we might be driving over at Christmas this season, and quite possibly in April as well, so will definitely get myself one of these, saves the GF the hassle each time we get to toll booth, for the sake of €1.70 a trip it's worthwhile in my eyes. Especially as chances are i'll be driving home on my own in April.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On Spain...

I replaced my previous one with Mango, 'cos it does France and Spain. France- great. Spain - no tolls! Well I'm sure there are, but not in the 450 miles Perpignan to Murcia two days back! Bitchin' Betty warned me about all of the tolls as they approached, but every single one was non-existent! There was evidence that the plazas were under construction though. I'll take the win and set it against the fuel cost.

France: cheapest was 1.34/l; Spain: cheapest so far, 1.76/l.
snow report
Absolutely love this and amazing tip from snowheads!
My Mango works with a basic/free revolut account.
It’s mentioned above but it took us a few trips to work out we could use a green arrow lane with the tag too. We would always look for the T specific one and sometimes, not often, they are all height restricted (disco/roof box combo here too).
ski holidays
@Charliegolf, Spain have removed lots of tolls, certainly large chunks of AP7 /E15 are now toll-free. my Mum lives between Alicante and Valencia so we now don't have to pay motorway tolls between hers and airports. Happened during lockdowns iirc.
snow report
We use Emovis tag (SANEF) because it was so much easier to setup, all in in English with direct debit on UK bank account. Costs are similar.

swskier wrote:
Looking like we might be driving over at Christmas this season, and quite possibly in April as well, so will definitely get myself one of these, saves the GF the hassle each time we get to toll booth, for the sake of €1.70 a trip it's worthwhile in my eyes. Especially as chances are i'll be driving home on my own in April.

Absolutely stunning for driving alone. Tag takes all the hassle out of the journey and well worth the almost insignificant cost.
ski holidays
Timc wrote:
We use Emovis tag (SANEF) because it was so much easier to setup, all in in English with direct debit on UK bank account. Costs are similar.

Mango website is in English (and others) and accepts UK bank accounts.

Do the Emovis/SANEF one still have an annual fee? That's what made them dearer to Mangos APRR based offers which only charge for months when it's used. Does it allow you to use in countries other than France?
snow report
adithorp wrote:
Timc wrote:

Mango website is in English (and others) and accepts UK bank accounts.

Do the Emovis/SANEF one still have an annual fee? That's what made them dearer to Mangos APRR based offers which only charge for months when it's used. Does it allow you to use in countries other than France?

I'm not saying that Emovis is any better or worse than the rest just that when we first got our tag in 2012 SANEF were the only company that had the English website and bank account facility. I have looked at others since then but the potential savings are insignificant.

Emovis ongoing charges are €8.00 per year and €5.00 per month in the first 2 months of your billing year that you use it so a maximum of €18.00 a year. As we use it for a minimum of 6 months a year it works out at €3.00 per trip. For our use Mango would save us €7.20 a year so not worth the hassle of changing.
If I was getting a tag now it would probably be Mango.

p.s. All Emovis prices need to have 20% TVA added to them.
latest report
Just for ease of reference, here are the links to some of the providers

Emovis (Liber-t as was)
Bip&Go
Mango Mobilités
Ulys-Vinci
Eurotunnel (Emovis partner offer*)

*Free application - no fee (save €10) €8 annual fee for the first year of subscription, discounted to €4 from the second year onwards. Requires a Eurotunnel booking reference.
ski holidays
@LaForet, now that's handy, I have a booking ref for the next trip
snow conditions
We use Bip & Go and have done for the last 20 odd years (It too used to be called Sanef). When they wrote to us to say they were withdrawing payment by credit card we set up a direct debit with our Starling Bank Euro current account and that works fine.

We prefer it simply because there are no fees whatsoever apart from €1.70 in the month that it is used and they are the only provider with offices all over the north of France. This means that if the thing is faulty or getting old (I think they will change it after 5 years) we just pop into an office as we pass and get it changed or sorted. Saves messing around with postage and correspondence. It took 5 minutes to change our old one at the office by the motorway at StOmer in June just passed

There is a €10 fee if it is not used in 12 consecutive months which we only found out about recently because of lockdown but that was the first time since we’ve had it so no big deal.

Website is very good now (didn’t used to be) and is in English if you need it
snow conditions
I have the Emovis too for the same reasons as @Timc, - it was easiest to set up 5 years ago with UK bank account. Service from them has been really good changed the tag once in that time and not worth changing now I have it. I really wouldn't be without it, worth every penny for the ease of use.

Although like @adithorp, says, i never go through the 30kmh lane on the first toll of any trip, just in case!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy