Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best location for group of 9?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

First post on here so go easy please! Very Happy

I am looking for places that is best suited for our group. We are a group of 9, 5 skiers and 4 boarders with mixed ability (some have only been once, some have been a few times and 3 of us have been skiing our whole life).

We are all in our late 20's so Après is high on the priority for us, looking for a self catered Chalet not fussed if it's close to town or not (will use shuttle buses). We are aiming for the first week of March, would prefer a medium sized resort, we went to Meribel last year and it was awesome but prices for alcohol was a little steep for us, although we got used to it by the end of the week.

I've had LDA on my mind but I am seeing mixed reviews, we are easily pleased so I can't see it being an issue however, welcome to other ideas.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The first week of March is still French holidays, so accommodation will be expensive, and pistes crowded. Following week better. When you say "chalet", you presumably mean an apartment, not a self-contained building? Which would be ££££££££££££ If apres is important, you don't want to stick yourselves in a place where the nearest bar is a schlep - transport after lifts close is often sketchy. You'd probably like LDA - but the point about timing still applies. There might be somewhere in Austria which would suit you well - I don't know how busy the first week of March would be there.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Val Thorens, Val d’Isere, St Anton, Verbier would all suit although your drinks bill won’t go down!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Ryanwhu93, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

I think LDA could be a good choice for you. It's got good skiing, is snow sure in March (it has a glacier at the top that is used for summer skiing in normal times, this summer with the frequent heatwaves that's had to be somewhat curtailed) and there are plenty of après ski bars in town. A year or two back the lift operation in LDA was taken over by the company who runs the lifts in nearby Alpe d'Huez and I think with a week's LDA lift pass you can get 1 day skiing at ADH on it. There's a bus goes from LDA to ADH on certain days of the week, costs a few Euros from memory, although I think you have to book it beforehand (I'm sure LDA tourist office can confirm details). So two resorts in one week, what's not to like? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Ryanwhu93, Definitely not St Anton, i'd say with the mixed level of experience you'd be better at Val D'Isere/ Tignes or Meribel/ 3V, or if Austria Mayrhofen, Kitzbuhel/ Kirchberg or Saalbach. It'll not be cheap though, my advice is use the chalet as a base, buy alcohol from supermarkets and go steady on the apres.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all for your input.

We didn't want to go back to Meribel as a few have been a couple of times and want a change of scenery and most wanted to keep costs to the minimum so they have more for Après! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Ryanwhu93, Welcome to SH's.

LDA is a complete marmite resort, loved by some, disliked by others. So it would be a bit of a punt for you.

Might be easier to find 2 x 4-6 people apartments than one for 9.

As pam says mid-March better.

Alcohol is steep in most of the Alps except for I believe Andorra or Bulgaria. I know some guys or shall we say as equally into Apres as they are skiing who go to Andorra every year. I don't think the skiing is too bad either.

Generally Austria is regarded as the best for Apres.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
L2A, Alpe D'Huez is another good call for mixed ability and a bit of action in a not too expensive wrapper.

Maybe somewhere in Austria that isn't the Arlberg or Ischgl? Soll? Saalbach?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
L2A, Alpe D'Huez is another good call for mixed ability and a bit of action in a not too expensive wrapper.

Maybe somewhere in Austria that isn't the Arlberg or Ischgl? Soll? Saalbach?

I would love to do Ischgl but I think it's probably out of our price range. We are looking for everything all in for max £800-£900.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

We are looking for everything all in for max £800-£900

Including the drinking?????????/
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

We are looking for everything all in for max £800-£900

Including the drinking?????????/

No drinking is separate from this Laughing This is just for flights, accommodation, lift pass, transfers, equipment hire
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
what about sauze d'oulx, i know its not everyone's cup of tea and was sometimes labelled as "Benidorm on ice", but it has a reasonable ski area (the milky way), and a fairly short transfer of around an hour.

though i haven't been for some time, i do remember it being cheaper than France and had a lively après scene.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bit of a left field suggestion - Livigno in Italy. It's a duty free area for historical reasons so booze is cheap there, and being high (the town is at 1816 metres with skiing up to 2798 metres) is snow secure. The only major drawback is that being quite remote up a valley it's a long transfer from any airport (usually Milan).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Alastair Pink, i went to livigno the same year that i went to Sauze, it was in the mid 90's, you are right it was comparatively cheap booze compared to the high French resorts i had previously visited.

a big drawback with the resort, is that it is spread out over the valley, and you require buses to get from one side to the other

it was a torturous 5+ hours coach journey from Bergamo airport, the transfer was that long, that on the way there you stopped half way for a meal, all the holidaymakers (it was 2 coachloads) were given a baguette and a drink, but the coach drivers and reps had a full meal with wine!!!

Also, the time i went there was landslide between Bormio and livigno, so we had to spend the night in Bormio. to this day, i am still amazed how the T/O's reps managed to get us all beds for the night in Bormio, along with a meal, we all got p!!!!d together in a bar that night!!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mayrhofen would suit your crew, France doesn't hold a candle to Österreich when it comes to apres.
snow conditions
We went to Livigno from Zurich - might be a bit quicker. I think we stopped at St Moritz for a wee stop
snow conditions
Les 2 Alpes would be as good as anywhere in France I'd say it's fairly livley, few decent pubs and fair bit cheaper than the mega resorts.
Austria definitely best bet tho for your overall requirements, Kitzbhuel or Mayrhofen would be my choice.
ski holidays
@Ryanwhu93, wherever you end up, how would you be travelling there? That might make a difference to choice of destination.

Drive in own vehicle(s) the whole way?
Fly, then hire vehicles?
Independent, separately booked flight, transfers and accommodation?
Package deal with flight, transfers and accommodation?
Something else?
latest report
Good questions and just as a guide for the OP, driving typically costs between £500-£700 return, depending on route and vehicle. Last season, a lot of people switched to driving because the flight situation was so disruptive, with cancellations and delays commonplace. As it stands, on personal experience, it still seems that way now. Of course, driving can still be subject to delays and issues as well. Additionally, last season saw phases where car hire was exceptionally expensive, so self-drive was sometimes far cheaper than fly-drive: it's not clear yet whether this still applies, so worth checking for your dates.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 7-09-22 10:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Welcome to the mayhem - and as always, some excellent advice above.

- I didn't like L2A when there....but it is subjective.

- Val D'Isere ticks most boxes but will be expensive and the skiing suits the better skier. There are great ski schools and reasonable skiing for less competent skies (who can download on lifts to avoid the tricky runs into the resort).

- Tignes is a cheaper option. The apres isn't quite as good, but may be enough depending on what you are after

- If hitting the French school holidays, it will be crowded and more expensive as highlighted by Pam

- As mentioned above, Austria is known for its Apres.

- IIRC Livigno and Andora are duty free, so booze is cheaper. I went to the former years ago and it was a 7 hour schlep in a bus from Milan. I haven't been to Andora, but heard good things about it re nightlife and ski instruction.
snow report
@Ryanwhu93, if you want sensible booze prices then look to Italy or Austria and divorce yourself from the French fleece market.
snow conditions
PeakyB wrote:
@Ryanwhu93, wherever you end up, how would you be travelling there? That might make a difference to choice of destination.

Drive in own vehicle(s) the whole way?
Fly, then hire vehicles?
Independent, separately booked flight, transfers and accommodation?
Package deal with flight, transfers and accommodation?
Something else?

So I got our group together last night and we looked through options and went with LDA in the end. We found it was the cheapest of the options, Austria was coming out quite a bit more unfortunately.

Booked flights with EasyJet to Grenoble for 11 of us, came out at £150 each. We are about an hour from Gatwick so sharing a taxi there is not going to be expensive and transfer in France is coming out at £50pp.

I've been going with Crystal the last few times but the last experience was awful so wanted to do DIY this time.
snow report
@Ryanwhu93, travel sounds great.
Have you booked accommodation already?
ski holidays
@Ryanwhu93, good job on making a decision and trying DIY.
snow report
Get yourself over to Austria
Hinterglem or saalbach
Great fun, good interlink lifts to Leo gang too
snow report
PeakyB wrote:
@Ryanwhu93, travel sounds great.
Have you booked accommodation already?

Yep, got an apartment for 12 through Airbnb.

Saw somewhere that lift passes are on sale during black Friday but I'm not sure how true that is?
snow conditions
Ryanwhu93 wrote:
Yep, got an apartment for 12 through Airbnb.

Done no and no worries. But in future check out tourist information websites such as or https://www.snowtrex.co.uk/

Ryanwhu93 wrote:
Saw somewhere that lift passes are on sale during black Friday but I'm not sure how true that is?

Not saying it doesn't happen but I've never seen this. Only discounts I ever got were when booking accommodation. It's not something to concentrate on or worry about too much in Europe. States different gravy I believe.
snow report
My general rule for a large group is er on the side of the better skiers. Most beginners will ski very limited slopes and really don't know any better anyhow. Almost every resort has sufficient green terrain. Progressing skiers generally are not as adventurous. The quality skiers, or solid intermediates, will ski lots of miles and want varied terrain and challenge. They will be the most upset if you limit them. I book large groups every year and try to find a snow sure place, good Après, good Intermediate terrain and plenty of challenge.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ryanwhu93, follow the TO page and instagram etc. Morzine and Les Gets did do a black Friday sale last year for example so its not unheard of.
snow report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
@Ryanwhu93, follow the TO page and instagram etc. Morzine and Les Gets did do a black Friday sale last year for example so its not unheard of.

@Nadenoodlee Ok, I will follow their Instagram and wait to see if they post anything.
snow conditions
For the experienced skiers in your group: of course with LDA you can go to the top of the skiing area and only a short walk takes you over into the off-piste challenges of La Grave. Of course without a guide you are really restricted to the two main routes down which quickly become un-groomed pistes, which you should stick to (so don't go over with restricted visibility). For more challenging off-piste, hire a guide (not sure if there are guided groups to join in LDA, as there are in La Grave.)
ski holidays
@snowball, Last time I skied la Grave the glacier drag lift had not been put into operation for the season, without which it's a long taxi ride back to LDA. Easy enough to check, but don't just assume (and I imagine it would be well signed at the top if not).
snow report
Ryanwhu93 wrote:
Nadenoodlee wrote:

@Nadenoodlee Ok, I will follow their Instagram and wait to see if they post anything.

You can also message them on IG and ask directly
latest report
@Chaletbeauroc, oh OK, I haven't been to La Grave when the drag lifts weren't working.
snow conditions
@snowball, This was Jan 2018. The drag was still there but the glacier level had receded so much that the poles would have been about three metres above the snow. Normally glacier lifts are re-sited each season, but they clearly hadn't done so that year. ISTR the story was that they didn't have enough money to do the work required. Sad rolling eyes
ski holidays
@Ryanwhu93, I think you missed a trick not looking at mayrhofen. It would suit you guys down to a tea.. sorry beer!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy