Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to the Zillertal from Munich vs Salzburg?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Mrs Matrix has a pathological hatred of the drive to München airport from the Zillertal. Too many delays and nearly missed flights over the years. Our flight options over Easter look quite limited. I haven’t driven from Salzburg but considering for a change. Any views around the car hire and drive generally?

Flights land around lunch time Thursday and leave Tuesday mid day.

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Matrix, if you're worried about motorway delays to Munich airport have you considered using the train instead? Jenbach to Munchen Ostbahnhof then change there on to the S8 line to the airport?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wouldn’t have thought the Munich drive would be at all difficult on those days. The Zillertal gets choked on Saturdays but otherwise I’ve always found it okay. Route to Salzburg via the Gerlospass is pretty but not particularly fast, going via the main roads from Zillertal means your on the same road as you’d use for Munich until almost the border.

I’ve hired cars from Salzburg with no issues pre-Covid but last time I looked the prices were stupidly high. You could fly to Munich and get the train.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We've done car hire a fair few times from both airports for various Austrian resorts.

The SZG car hire is easily accessed - it's in a separate centre just across the road from the main terminal. A couple of minutes' walk, versus what can be a long walk of endless corridors to the MUC hire desks.

Motorway access both from and to SZG is easy - within 2 or 3 miles of the terminal.

Another plus is that SZG cars will already have a motorway vignette. It's not expensive for a week or two but every little helps and it saves having to stop and buy one.

SZG to the Zillertal using the main motorway route is a similar time and distance as from MUC. This will take you through a corner of Germany - so you need to make the hire company aware of that. They will charge €25 or €30 for the privilege - but you'd be paying that from MUC too as you'd be taking the car out of Germany.

Google Maps shows not much in it. For example:
- SZG - *Mayrhofen: 2hrs 4min - 195km.
- MUC - Mayrhofen: 1hr 57min - 170km.

(*Other Zillertal resorts are available wink )

There shouldn't be too much difficulty with your travel times and days. The roads should be just normal traffic. SZG is quite small and can be overwhelmed with weekend departures (bog queues for bag drop/check in) but is generally OK midweek. On your return, there are a couple of petrol stations quite close to the airport.

We've also had a few MUC traffic nightmares over the years - standstill traffic around Munich on Sunday evenings and traffic jams due to roadworks at other times. As a result, we always allow an extra hour for the return run to MUC.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you everyone. Yes traffic James around Munich has been the main issue on several occasions.

Train seems straight forward from SGZ too. Munich looks like you need a few changes.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
Train seems straight forward from SGZ too. Munich looks like you need a few changes.
Maybe two? (In Munich and at Jenbach?) We've done it and it was easy enough, especially as you're straight onto the train at Munich Airport.

There's no train station at Salzburg Airport. You need to get a bus from there to the train station. We've done that too - the bus is frequent and the transfer is easy, even with a ski bag. You'll need to change at Jenbach too - same as if you were travelling from Munich.

Last time we did the train from Salzburg was March 2020, when we travelled to Innsbruck and back. Having been used to very reasonable (if not cheap) train ticket prices from Munich in previous years, I was a bit surprised that a return ticket from Salzburg to Munich was about £100 per person. Still, it was cheaper than hiring a car as we were away for about two weeks (a mix of skiing around Innsbruck plus a week ski touring).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Munich to Zillertal very easy on the train, the changes are simple.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would beg to differ on how "easy" the train journey from Munich airport to the Zillertal is. S bahn to Haupt / Ostbahnhof, direct train to Jenbach only every two hours otherwise hourly regional train to Kufstein and change again, then the Zillertalbahn from Jenbach. Not difficult but not so easy with baggage (can be a long walk at Kufstein) and fairly time consuming. Salzburg a bit easier, shuttle bus to the airport then hourly direct train to Jenbach. All perfectly pleasant, nice views either route but maybe not ideal for a short trip.

In terms of traffic, the autobahn can be a pain. There are long term roadworks on the east side of Munich (the bridge to the village next to us is being rebuilt to accommodate the 4 lane expansion which is a real pain as it is messing up our public transport for 18 months) which might be gone by Easter. On busy days it is often slow going from the A99 junction with the A8 pretty much all the way to Kufstein with no sensible alternative. However the journey from Salzburg is not necessarily better, there are long term roadworks around Rosenheim, the section between Rosenheim & Salzburg is largely two lane and no hard shoulder so the roadworks often cause very long queues, again maybe gone by next Easter.

I would suggest it makes little difference either way, Munich has a lot more flights so that probably tips the balance.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You could drive from Salzburg taking the A road through Lofer, St Johann and Id say Kirchberg. Atm the building of an underpass at Scheffau is causing hold ups during the day, but I suspect they may be halted during the winter months. May take a little longer, but less traffic and scenic. Turn left at Worgl on another A road, doesn`t take that much longer, and save on requiring a vignette
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
How are the flights direct to Innsbruck, looking for next year, may be a much lower stress option?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@JimboS, I don't know what it's like this coming season, but I think there used to be very few scheduled direct flights from UK to Innsbruck, most of the direct flights to Innsbruck were charter?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Alastair Pink, EasyJet have direct flights from Bristol, Luton, Gatwick and Manchester, wish we had a choice like that from Scotland.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@JimboS, I didn't know that. I guess Manchester is quite a drive if you're in Scotland. Sad Having said that I live in the East Midlands and I've sometimes had to drive down to Gatwick for flights on occasion.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jim, there's Jet2 direct to Salzburg and Innsbruck.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I did Munich (from Alpbach) once on a Sunday afternoon. The entirety of Germany was on that route and it was solid from end to end. I recall we did most of the journey on non-Motorway routes. And then round Munich I experienced the worst rain I've ever driven in. Never been gladder to arrive at an airport! Never again...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy