Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski carving improvements

Poster: A snowHead
Hello there everyone. I guess that most of you will think "oh another carving question", and it kind of is Cool Very Happy

I posted here already in 2021 when I first started skiing and I asked for advice on carving: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=155333

I really appreciated the feedback I got that time, and I hope to get another round of it before the next season starts (which is soon).

So in January 2021, I stepped on a pair of skis for the first time. Then, in January 2022 (this year), I continued practicing and created a couple of videos from my trip to France. Any feedback on how to increase my edge angle and generally improve my carving skills will be appreciated.

Shorter video(flat terrain, slower pace):

http://youtube.com/v/Rmh3oJ2x-HU

Longer video (mixed terrains, faster pace):

http://youtube.com/v/FXq4Sv7tJGk?t=6
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks pretty good to me for that length of career. How did you manage to start in Jan 21 when everything was locked down.

First clip better than the second. Good leg separation and tipping. Pretty good upper body separation - maybe make it a bit quiter by not swinging the arms round so much. Looks like you have a reasonable "feel" for what the skis are doing so you can probably amp up performance with drills focusing on what your little toe is doing, timing of transition etc.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Looks pretty good to me for that length of career. How did you manage to start in Jan 21 when everything was locked down.

First clip better than the second. Good leg separation and tipping. Pretty good upper body separation - maybe make it a bit quiter by not swinging the arms round so much. Looks like you have a reasonable "feel" for what the skis are doing so you can probably amp up performance with drills focusing on what your little toe is doing, timing of transition etc.

In Jan 21., Bjelasnica ski resort in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, was still working, the government locked everything down a month later if I remember correctly.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
Any feedback on how to increase my edge angle and generally improve my carving skills will be appreciated.
Well, you ought to be able to look at these videos and tell us what you're doing wrong.

Then you just need to practice avoiding those mistakes. The good news is that you've plenty to work with. The bad news is that it's significantly harder to progress than to get where you are, and you need to be absolutely sure you're not practicing bad things.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Always remember - I'm not a ski instructor, so please bear this in mind.

You are making good progress, and you are able to leave "Railroad Tracks" in the snow. Using stop/start on your videos, this is what I see:

- Your left arm moves up and down through your turns when going Right. Your right arm much less so (when turning Left).

- Your skis can make a V-shape, with tips wider than the tails at the start of the turn, especially when turning Right

- There is a bit too much Inclination and not enough Angulation to achieve edge angle....leading to a little too much weight on the inside ski

- I think your Angulation turning Left, is a little better than turning Right

- I think you need to drive more Forward and across at the start of the turn, so as to get the pressure onto the tips and access the extra power of loading the ski into reverse camber. As the turn progresses - let the feet ride through a little, so there is more weight on the tails to control the end of the turn.

- There are times when your legs are too split, as in the U/Hill ski is too far ahead of the D/Hill one

- As the turn progresses, progressively retract the unweighted ski up under the hip (Long Leg/Short Leg), which allows you to Topple into the turn and gradually increase the edge angle on your weighted ski.

Now don't get me wrong, you are doing really well....but you are now getting into ever more advanced territory, where you need a good instructor to guide you through. As always, I'm happy to be corrected in what I see, by someone who is qualified to comment.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 11-09-22 11:50; edited 6 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Looks good when it's flat and easy. Not so good soon as its any steeper and at all variable. Seeing how you look when not carving you need to stop worrying about carving and work on other basic techniques. Carving isnt the be all and end all.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The skis are taking you for a ride instead of you driving them.
Too much weight on inside ski you've not got pressure on the front of the ski either.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Some harsh critics here! It's very risky to post videos.

A real live instructor is always needed now and again, especially to cope with the variety of real slopes and snow conditions.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looking good, I would agree with this...

Mother hucker wrote:

Too much weight on inside ski you've not got pressure on the front of the ski either.

Try some javelin drills as we used to call them - just pick your inside ski up. You can drag the tail a bit for balance but this really gets the point across that the outside ski if where all the real carving takes place. It takes patience for me but this was what helped me make better turns. It is not a drill that you do with aggression.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
j b wrote:
Some harsh critics here! It's very risky to post videos. ...
The OP was asking for feedback, not flattery.

I don't see significant improvement from a year ago. Perhaps the OP could look at a video from each session and see what's better and what's worse?
Compare the overall stance, the turn action, and the arms across each video.
The advice given back then still seems entirely apposite to me - how is the OP getting along with it?

Modern skis carve if you allow them to, but look at those fat skidded tracks especially in the transitions.
As someone pointed out, the OP is being taken for a ride by the skis.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@xpg94, I think I would tend to agree that you are "parking and riding". Skis carve naturally. Thez are designed to do so. It's getting them to do other stuff in trickier conditions that's important/essentrial.

THat said, it looks like you have good natural dynamic balance and don't have "adult" reflexes when it comes to sliding so that's all very encouraging. A good instructor and eventually trickier terrain will work wonders, I should expect.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have had a pair of carving skis for over 20 years now. Looks like you are doing well for such a short skiing career. What would highlight better how you ski and carve now, is what a video of you carving on a black run or on solid ice. This would highlight where your deficiencies are better.

If you ski standing up straight on a green run, you cannot tell much. You would behave differently on a steeper run. This is when turning becomes more important as it can show how much control you have when things speed up.

The other thing I noticed is that when you are carving, you seem to cut the carve out short and start a new one. Take wider turns and feel the ski pushing in the middle of the turn as that is how you really know you are carving at speed.

Your lines on a steeper route would highlight whether you are actually skiing on the edge of the ski all the way round the turn instead of just for a short while and then whip the skis round for the next turn.

I am not a ski instructor.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Move your hips. Move them forwards, move them upwards, move them sideways. And bend ze knees, of course.

There are some evident improvements between the previous video and these, yes, although TBF the new ones are on much easier terrain. There is a little more movement in the later ones, but the body is still quite stiff. It means that while on the gentle cruiser shown it can look relaxed and easy, more testing conditions will unsettle you. Even on those clips one can see a couple of occasions where an avoiding manoeuvre gets you a bit out of shape, and shows up your rear-biased balance.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@xpg94,
By all means read the advice given here, but skiing is not a one size fits all pursuit, unless you are competing or instructing, it is there to enjoy, do what make you feel good.

For my own input, there are lots of people here saying put more weight on the outer ski & lift the inner ski. I say try lifting the outer ski & carving on the inner ski, it is quite difficult but you will learn faster at the bottom of the learning curve and if you learn to carve on the inner ski or carve both ways on just one ski, when the time comes & you make a mistake & end up with all your weight on the "wrong" ski, you will have the ability to ski away from that mistake instead of face planting.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tangowaggon wrote:

For my own input, there are lots of people here saying put more weight on the outer ski & lift the inner ski. I say try lifting the outer ski & carving on the inner ski, it is quite difficult but you will learn faster at the bottom of the learning curve

Both of these, and many other things, can be very useful exercises in the context of a lesson, i.e. with an instructor/observer who can explain what you're trying to achieve with any given drill and help you understand when you start to get there.

There is a danger, and I've seen it many times, that people pass on drills that they found useful at some point in their own skiing, but are not always either appropriate for someone else or properly explained and understood. This can, and does, lead to some learners becoming fixated on on particular aspect which they often fail to achieve even in itself, which will usually have a very negative effect on the learning curve.

So @xpg94, and indeed anyone else asking for advice here: much of the feedback you see will be good, some less so, but don't rush out to try and apply any of it without fully understanding the expected outcomes and being able to assess how well you're doing with them. And don't mistake a learning tool/exercise/drill as 'the way to ski'. This latter applies to both of the apparently conflicting ideas here - in practice, most of the time, you're trying to use both skis effectively, so don't get fixated on 'weighting' the inner or the outer ski, except as a learning tool to understand what happens when you do so.
ski holidays
@Chaletbeauroc, That's about where the advice should start and end. OP you need to see a coach. I'd even consider booking a ski trip round a well recommended coach.
snow conditions
Mother hucker wrote:
@Chaletbeauroc, That's about where the advice should start and end. OP you need to see a coach. I'd even consider booking a ski trip round a well recommended coach.

I would recommend the Pre season Bash or the PiPau for high quality instruction at a good price (at that time of year admin gets a great deal for some of the best instructors available ).
Have to agree with the majority of the posts here and the analysis by @Old Fartbag seems pretty accurate to me.
Also have to commend you on your progress in a short time - awesome Very Happy
snow conditions
@snowheid, on the progress … yes, very good but dumb japanese robots cab do nearly the same …
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy