Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Selva or Santa Christina for group trip

Poster: A snowHead
After finally embracing the joys of a good resort, decent hotel with HB accommodation, rather than huge Apres and wall to wall lash, last year, our boys’ trip are intending to head to the Dolomites this January.

Having stayed in Val Di Fassa myself one year, I felt that Selva seemed to be the best location for a 3 night stay (and easy to access from Innsbruck). Looking at hotels now, I seem to be getting more choices in St Christina. I know it’s a bit further from the SR but what about the village itself? Although Apres isn’t as important as it used to be, we still wouldn’t mind one or two decent bars.

Anything else we might consider (6-8 men in 40s all good piste skiers)?

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
St Christina is certainly a lot smaller than Selva, so bars etc will be more limited but there are a few nice places. It's been a long time since I've been there so I can't recommend specific places, but we certainly enjoyed staying there as much as Selva but it was quieter.

For ski convenience there's not a lot in it, depending on where you are in Selva you'll possibly have a long walk to the lifts or need to get a bus - and unless there's a minibus at the hotel the timetable for public buses was pretty limited. With St Christina it's the same but as it's more compact chances are you'll be a bit closer to the lift.

Access to the Sella Ronda isn't a big deal, it's one more lift from St Christina, but then again you also get access to Col Raiser and the Alpe Siusi area.

My advice would be to get the best deal on a hotel, check how easy the lift access is and not worry too much about the location between these 2 resorts.

Other options - Ortisei is a bigger village, much more going on but further out from the Sella Ronda. Personally, I love Corvara, it's a decent sized village, it's on the SR but has access to a lot of other skiing too.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't know either resort well but I really wouldn't be bothered about the SR, especially for a 3 day trip. So much other good (or better... and less busy) stuff.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sah, thank you for the advice. The hotel I’ve found in Selva looks walkable to the lift area of town, whereas the 2-3 options in StChristina are 10-15 minutes from Saslong. I take the point that this is a better venue for the whole of the valley though. If we wanted to ski Alp Suisi, is there a skiable option or would we have to transfer across Ortisei?
The mention of SR @pam w, is not to actually do the circuit but to perhaps have a day in Corvara (not many options for hotels available here for our dates) or even round to the Glacier, but looks like it doesn’t make much difference which of these resorts to access this.
Thanks again for the advice.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@EdYarker, Selva to Corvara is very straight forward - get to the top of Dantercepies (main bubble out of Selva) and ski down to Corvara

For Alpe di Suisi, simplest route is just get the valley bus to Ortisei (there are several other ways !!)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
albob wrote:
@EdYarker, Selva to Corvara is very straight forward - get to the top of Dantercepies (main bubble out of Selva) and ski down to Corvara

For Alpe di Suisi, simplest route is just get the valley bus to Ortisei (there are several other ways !!)

Indeed, one of the ways (which I'd recommend) is to ski down to Monte Pana and from there take the Magical Mystery Bus cross country trip to Saltria at one end of the Alpe di Suisi/Seiseralm (takes about 20 minutes). https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=156121#4814606 Then ski across the length of of the Alpe di Suisi to the other end (takes a minimum of an hour, obviously you can take longer exploring all the lift and piste options) where you can either download on the gondola to Ortisei or (much better) ski down the newly opened run down to the town.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 25-10-22 13:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks @albob, and @Alastair Pink, for your advice about locating Alp Di Suisse. I’m keen to check it out as I never got there last time I was in the Dolomites.
Unfortunately we have a couple of people who try to avoid buses at all cost and in fairness there is plenty of other good stuff to try without the need for buses.
My only other thought is to possibly base ourselves in Ortisei itself, with both sides of the mountain to try and a (longer) link to the rest of the valley and the SR via Col Raiser?
I’ve not done much research into Ortisei as a destination but initial reports look promising. Had anyone stayed there? Is there much going on?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
EdYarker wrote:

Unfortunately we have a couple of people who try to avoid buses at all cost and in fairness there is plenty of other good stuff to try without the need for buses.

Well the Magical Mystery Bus tour (just my name for it Madeye-Smiley ) is an interesting experience in itself, but everyone to their own taste.

EdYarker wrote:
My only other thought is to possibly base ourselves in Ortisei itself, with both sides of the mountain to try and a (longer) link to the rest of the valley and the SR via Col Raiser?
I’ve not done much research into Ortisei as a destination but initial reports look promising. Had anyone stayed there? Is there much going on?

I've stayed in Ortisei, it's the prettiest of the three towns in the valley (Ortisei, St Christina and Selva) and has a pedestrianised main street. Plenty of good eating places.
Obviously it's very convenient for the skiing on both sides of the town Alpe di Suisi/Seiseralm on one side and Seceda on the other. Conversely if you want to do the Sella Ronda then it takes a bit longer either skiing there or cough (cough) taking a bus to Selva.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes I’m happy with a bus ride myself, especially at the start of end of the day. But the argument is that on a short trip they ‘waste’ skiing time. I make the same argument when they stop for a hot chocolate but I digress.
@Alastair Pink, thanks for your thoughts on Ortisei. It sounds good and there are a couple of reasonable looking hotels available near the Suisi lift. Would this mean that we have a bit of a stomp to get to Col Raiser? Is there a decent shuttle from one side to the other?
Thanks again
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Being a 23yr VG valley veteran, 15 of which being 'lads trips'. Selva, end of. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@EdYarker, I’ve been to both. If you haven’t been to the Dolomites before, go with Selva, Santa Christina is v v quiet. If you have been before, go with the location that you are most unfamiliar with so you can take advantage of exploring a different part of it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Mollerski, @dode, thanks for your input. Most of the group haven’t skied Dolomites and in light of this advice I think the Selva option is the winner (so long as my faffing hasn’t meant the hotel is booked out).
Thanks again
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you want to maximize your skiing time, Selva is it. Almost every hotel / apartment in the flat part of town is walkable to the lifts, as there are a few snow paths through the village that are kept covered even if there's no snow...and there are a few apres spots, too.

Ortisei is definitely a more interesting town but doing the Sella Ronda from there is a bit of a PITA. St. Christina is a little trickier (and hence less expensive than Selva) when it comes to getting to/from the lifts (basically, you have the Saslong side, which means an icy return, and the Seceda side, which is great but a bit limited.

The pizza place in Selva atop the public ice hockey rink is suprisingly good, by the way.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Pasigal, thanks for the extra intel.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@EdYarker, When are you going? We have a couple of visits booked for this coming season.
latest report
@Mollerski, Three nights from 27th Jan. I think the weekend nature of the timings have also limited hotel options but there still seems to be one or two available out there
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy