Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First group trip since 2020...where to go?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Morning all

So looking to pull the trigger on some accommodation for our first group ski trip back together after the "virus of unmentionable origin". We are a group of 8 intermediate to advanced skiers. On piste and like to feel like we are "getting about" an area if that makes sense. We aren't into mad apres but enjoy a decent meal with some wine/beers. So perhaps a good bar or 2. Heading out last weekend of January for a week.
We have found some self catered chalets with obligatory outdoor hot tubs in the following areas, so where would you choose? Obviously would like the best conditions but that has proved somewhat of a lottery the last few years!

Chatel - not stayed here before but have done 3 days in Champery so experienced some of the PdS but felt like barely touched what it has to offer.
Vars - never been the area before but heard it is a little bit of a hidden gem still?
Samoens/Morillon - again never been to the Grand Massif. Seems to be the biggest risk regarding chance of rain down in the villages (although that would mean snow on the hill!) or the worse of conditions out of the options? But people do rave about the area.
Briancon - Again not been to Serre Chevalier and almost went there the last 2 trips but the Southern Alps where as dry as the Sahara so went elsewhere. The appeal of staying in a larger town as something a bit different does tickle my fancy.

TIA!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I personally would pick the Grand Massif area, for no other reason than I had a great time there when I stayed in Flaine.

FWIW. WeatherToSki website has this to say about the area:

Flaine has a microclimate and is blessed with exceptional natural snowfall. The summit of the 2450m Grandes Platières averages 15m of snow a year and is probably the snowiest skiable mountain in France. The main Flaine bowl also faces north or north-east, and holds its snow well.

But whilst you can normally count on good snow locally, outlying areas such as Morillon and Les Carroz are lower and more exposed. Conditions in the Grand Massif as a whole are therefore much more variable.

Outside the main Flaine bowl, the best snow conditions are normally found on the high north-facing slopes above Samöens 1600.

Blog on Flaine: https://www.weathertoski.co.uk/our-blog/why-does-flaine-have-such-a-good-snow-record/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Quatre Vallées. Verbier the hub and La Tzoumaz, Nendaz, Bruson, and Veysonnaz/Les Collons the spokes. 400kms of pistes but realistically, more like 250Kms within easy access of Verbier. Great off-piste obviously. Very much an intermediate/advanced skiers area. Accessible by train from Geneva (even just as a backup if group members are arriving via different routes and some might get delayed). Don't be put off by the 'Switzerland is so expensive' prejudice: yes, you have to be careful about accommodation choice and where you eat, but you don't have to hire Branson's ski lodge or stay at the 'W', or lunch at La Vache every day. Base is around 1500m and Mt.Fort summit at 3,330m.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Given your brief of wanting to 'get about', enjoy good food, etc then the Dolomites is perfect for you. You won't find chalets but there are some excellent good value hotels in Selva valley (Selva/Ortisei) whereas the Alta Badia (Corvara/San Cassiano/La Villa) is a little more upmarket and therefore more expensive. Fabulous area, the best mountain restaurants & very quiet in comparison to the big French resorts. PM me if you want more information
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+1 for Dolomiti
Not wild apres but excellent food... probably the most beautiful mountains on the planet.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
And if you want a cheaper Dolomite experience, stay in Val di Fassa.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Fridge03, I think Samoens and the Grand Massif would suit you. Samoens is a pretty village with bars and restaurants. The Grand Massif ski area is one of my favourites. NB Samoens is not ski to and from the door...you need to take a gondola up to the ski area which starts at 1600m. The Grand Massif has a good snow record and I would say has the best snow record of the options you mention above. I like staying in Les Carroz to ski the Grand Massif as you can ski back to some of the accommodation but Samoens is a more attractive village.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I’ve been to Chatel (3 times), Samoens (4 times) and Serre Chevalier (once), on a ‘lads’ trips, staying in catered chalets. Really like them all but Chatel tops my list. I feel the P d S is just a really good varied ski area, lots of different towns for lunch, skiing into Switzerland (cheesy maybe but pretty cool imo). You can also finish the day in 3 different locations and if you pick the right chalet they will even come an collect you after the apres. If you’re not doing catered chalets then defo Samoens. Most restaurants and bars, Chatel is a wee bit limited. Serre Chevalier is the most limited area but if you get a big dump the big bowl offers really accessible, relatively easy off piste. Still a cool place. I also endorse the 4V. Piste skiing in Verbier is over rated but staying in say Nendaz (tonnes of restaurants and bars and a cool village) you can access the Printze sector fairly easily which broadens it out. The lift network is not quite so well invested (a fair few Pomas and T Bars), but fun nonetheless. Hope this helps.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy