Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2022/23 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Excited about heading to Saalbach on Sat
Planning heading up Kolhmais on Sunday to get our ski legs back as its been a while see we last skied and looking for some cruisey blues and based on YouTube etc it would seem to fit the bill?
Any suggestions on where to watch 6N rugby on Sunday please?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@roguemazza, yes, piste 152 should fit the bill. For watching any sport, Bobby’s Pub would be the usual recommendation, although the Spitzbub and Eva Alm are other possibilities.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
depending on your arrival time and how your journey was you could take advantage of the free skipass allowance on the day of arrival which starts from 3pm if you have a 6day pass starting sunday
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ski for fun, good point!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
not sure we will make it in time but thanks for the info
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@tatmanstours, Thank you for your offer of help. Now sorted. There would appear to be some computer glitch in that O2 does not recognize the Saalbach area code. No problem in calling on the land line and thanks again. Looking forward to skiing in Saalbach so please kindly arrange large quantities of fresh snow for the end of March Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
roguemazza wrote:
not sure we will make it in time but thanks for the info

This last few years (other than a no show in covid)we try to time our arrival so we can take advantage of this perk its almost like an extra day if you go up the south side schattberg down piste 2 up schonleiten then on the long run back to saalbach kohlmais with a stop at the bergeralm and then a choice of maisalm hinterhag burgis before returning to hotel just in time for dinner !!.
A couple of folk have mentioned the walking in saalbach but like tatman never found it a problem .Mrs ski for fun does not carry her own skis other than for a few yard and im not for carrying 2pairs uphill so the thing to do is ensure your bed is on or above the skiliftstrasse or along the dorfplatz above the middle of town , thus you will only ever need to be walking on the level or downhill and catching a bus along from either end of the valley is an easy option as they are plentiful and run like clockwork just 10 days to go for us to be on our way can hardly wait, cheers
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ski for fun, couldn’t have put any of that better myself!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Heading back to Hinterglemm on Saturday for a couple of weeks, message me if you want to meet for a drink or a gentle ski Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
tatmanstours wrote:
“ the one at the road with the bad owner singer (can’t remember name)”

@Gilly28, that’ll be the Hinterhag Alm, a once glorious après-ski venue, but now ruined by the owner’s insistence on singing. Not only does she have a harsh, grating voice, but she’s tone deaf. However she has no insight, refuses to listen to anyone who tells her that she can’t sing, and deludes herself into thinking that the (much reduced) merry throng, who still bother to go in there, actually appreciate her squawking and caterwauling. And she obviously sees no need to invest in a decent band, despite the place having in its glory days been a goldmine. The Hinterhag is a shadow of its former self, yet it somehow struggles on, mainly because the building itself is so full of character, and because of its tradition. I wonder if one day it will be restored to being one of the best après-ski venues in the Alps?

its also cash only....!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
W@Dravot, actually I’m feeling a bit guilty about having been so churlish about the Hinterhag Alm. Although it’s not as popular as it once was, it clearly still attracts an appreciative following. I’ve popped in a few times in the last couple of weeks and it was a good après-ski atmosphere. Admittedly I wasn’t subjected to the aforesaid caterwauling, and the resident singer was being ably augmented by his father on guitar and guest singers.
Why they’ve dispensed with the drinks waiters, reduced the bar staff, and restricted beer sales to bottles only I cannot say. I’ve heard complaints that it takes an age to get served too.
It’s still a shadow of its former self, but it remains the slightly nutty Hinterhag. And at least it’s warm and cosy, unlike most other après-ski venues. The Inghams rep told me that he tells his customers to treat it like a pantomime.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
staying at Hotel Bauer so think we are good from a walking perspective, I do dislike walking in ski boots carrying skis - first time skiing in Austria and very much looking forward to it - seems a bit of snow due over the weekend as well then some sunshine - perfect for those of us that like to travel round resorts on piste
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@roguemazza, Hello. I am booked into the Hotel Bauer, although not until late March but would be interested to hear your opinion as have never stayed there and in fact have not been to Saalbach for quite a few years. Thank you.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@roguemazza, @peter w, I think you’ll like Hotel Bauer, which is in the centre of the village, roughly equidistant from all three gondola stations. It has a good reputation. There are obviously hotels that are more slopeside and closer to one of the lift stations (therefore minimising the walking), but the Bauer’s location is not at all bad.
If you’re a light sleeper, it might be a good idea to avoid if possible being allocated a bedroom overlooking the Dorfstrasse (the main village street). Some people can’t seemingly stop themselves from singing and shouting as they walk home in the early hours, and nightspots like the Taverne, the Eva Alm, the Ötzi Bar, and the Why Not are all uphill from the Hotel Bauer, and at chucking-out time (which can be as late as 04.00am) the clientele mostly walk downhill past the front of the hotel, which abuts directly onto the quite narrow street).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@roguemazza,
weve stayed in the bauer as a private booking, it was very pleasant, clean ,good breakfast and dinner and by my yardstick value for money as are all of the places weve stayed in in saalbach . Its close to all amenities and lifts , good choice have fun
ski holidays
All of this chat re walking etc, there is an obvious solution that no one has mentioned yet, ditch the skis and take up boarding! An added bonus is you get a nice seat on the piste too.
snow report
kb36 wrote:
All of this chat re walking etc, there is an obvious solution that no one has mentioned yet, ditch the skis and take up boarding! An added bonus is you get a nice seat on the piste too.

One of the pluses in saalbach is that there doesnt seem to be as many boarders as a % on the pistes in saalbach ,they must be all in the snowparks or thankfully elswhere and not sitting on their boards in the middle of the piste line, ho ho
ski holidays
Don't worry, me and my mate will change that in a couple of weeks, on a more serious note, as a boarder it also drives me nuts when fellow boarders do such stupid and dangerous things, not to say skiers are immune, many a time I've come across large groups standing across the middle of a piste, usually just on the brow of a hill, GRRR
snow conditions
I honestly don't recall seeing lots of boarders sitting in the middle of pistes for years now.

Maybe I don't go on runs with many people learning. Maybe cause there are fewer boarders on the mountain these days.
snow report
Funnily enough I was thinking only this afternoon, as I was overtaking a succession of slow-moving boarders, that they generally seem to struggle a lot more than skiers - trying to get speed up on connecting pistes without poles, the relative lack of stability, the blind spot, the continual sitting down, the continual fiddling with bindings, the Quasimodo with a club foot impression on getting on chair lifts…I’ll never understand why they do it. Granted, some can keep up, but many seem to struggle.
snow report
When your feet point the way mine do sometimes it's the only option as there is no way my feet would point correctly for a snowplough, sitting down is largely cos we can but it's also because staying upright when stationary is tricky and a waste of energy
snow report
@kb36, the snowplough is a very temporary phase - usually only a few days.
snow report
Afternoon Gents. Heading to Hinterglemm on saturday for a quick three-day trip with a friend. Adjusted the short trip for what seems like a bit of snowfall on friday night and into the weekend. First time in the Circus so any tips would be appreciated. Staying at Alpen-Karawanserai Hotel, so right next to the Reiterkogelbahn lift.

We are hoping to do a couple laps of the circus, and if indeed it snows a bit - what would be the best places to look for a little forest-next-to-the-piste powder riding? You know the kind, just a bit of sketchy fun right next to the slopes. Looking at the snow we are not taking beepers and BC gear with us. If we like the area (which I am sure we will) we are booking a guide for next year, so this is more of a recon mission.

Also, for us as first-timers in the area, would you recommend we start exploring west or east from Hinterglemm? So rather Hochalm and Zwolfer and working back or the opposite - Saalbach, Vorderglemm, potentially down to Leogang (very curious as a mountainbiker, havent been yet). Its obvious from the discussion here that it is mostly about Saalbach.

We are both boarders (not the sitting in the middle kind Wink ) in our late 30s looking for some nice riding, a bit of apres but lights out by 10pm max.

Thanks for any tips and help!
snow report
Hochalm is great if staying in Hinterglemm but not the best in bad vis. For us the Schwartzacher was the place for apres in Hinterglemm but I believe the old DJ has either retired or no longer with us Embarassed but they still play apres. The Goaßtahl is good enough but does get a bit techno techno techno techno after a while. You'll enjoy your hotel. Our friends have stayed there a few times when we've stayed at the Adler Resort
ski holidays
Just a few comments from a couple of trips out to Saalach this year. First was 14 Jan stayed at the Die Sonne. Originally we were booked to stay in Das Neuhaus with Crystal. Initially was not keen on not staying more central as in previous years but the free courtesy taxis were very obliging for getting to lifts in the morning and only a phone call away to get picked up. As they only operate until 5 pm we tended to go back earlier to take advantage of the free ride and the all inclusive drinks !
The only downside being missing out on the Apres ski at Hinterhagalm, Bauers etc.
A big plus was the excellent large outdoor hot tub. The food and drinks/wine were all excellent. It seemed that there were a lot of returning people and we would also recommend it.
Never managed to ski back to it as run 86 was closed.
Otherwise impressed as ever with the grooming and snow conditions which is why we, anf many others keep going back.

Went back on 28th Jan for Second trip, just for 4 nights on a budget ! Stayed at the Pension Eder which is just behind the Neuhaus.
Not in the same class as Die Sonne but was excellent value for money and served the purpose. 4 guys sharing 1 family room with 4 beds and 2 bathrooms.
The breakfasts were fine. Ate there on two evenings ( you have to pre order in the morning) Great wholesome food, nothing fancy but good value 3 courses for 25 euro.
As we were only there for 4 nights location was important and Pension Eder is perfect.
We arrived by 1.30 on the Saturday and amaged to get on the lifts for 3 to take advantage of the free skiing from 3pm. A nice Bonus for setting off at 2.30 am from Leeds.
We used Austriatransfers after reading then being recommended by others on here. They were spot on and would use again.
Ive spent many hours in the Hinterhagalm over last 12 years and have to say it was good but just not as busy/buzzing in previous years. It seemed strange that only one of the upstairs bars was in operation and only bottled beer as has been nentioned. Dont know why but kind of worked ok as all the bar staff have to do is whip the top off.
Still had a great time in there with all the "classic tunes". Cant complain at prices either only 5 euro for a large Steigel Bottle.
Bauers, inside, was also great atmosphere.

Ventured into the Off Piste Bar after dinner on one evening, mainly lot younger crowd but great time was made by the Singer/guitarist in there. I forget his name but he is pretty good.

All in all two great trips again, Saalbach just seems to tick all the boxes.
latest report
@Richard Farndale, did you drive? if you did was it a land rover? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@zazox, going west or east doesn't matter, you could head over to Hochalm (50,51,52) opportunity for powder and some trees, head over to Fieberbrunn probably some powder of 122, not many trees though on the way back you will get some , then go over to 110, check when the Free Rider World tour is on. Going over to Leogang is good couple of nice tree lined runs down into the valley, you would have to make a short walk across Saalbach about 150 meters.

If you are over at the Hochalm you could take the Nordbhan up and work your way over to 2a, you have to take the the worlds shortest cable car , you could even do that route to get to Leogang.

When heading to Fieberbrunn be mindful of the last cable car back.

It's a bit rambling hope that helps
ski holidays
“ you have to take the the worlds shortest cable car”
@radar, why?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@tatmanstours, Oh dear you don't you can cut round by the Xandl Stall rolling eyes
snow conditions
Just arrived back in Hinterglemm, brought a little bit of snow with me. Just having a burger and beer or two at the Jennerwein.
Then need to rummage around in the Celler at the Penhab- I can’t find my boots! Skis are there, but no sight of the boots. Probably a good excuse to get an new pair Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Found the boots, just under a few others Eh oh! no excuse now for new ones Eh oh!Eh oh!
snow conditions
@Yorksboy Laughing

Very considerate of you to bring snow! Hope it is a decent top up. Was slightly worrying that the toasty warm weather has been eating up a lot of the snow given its bang on a month till we get there.

Fingers crossed it stays cooler though looks like may warm up again mid week ... Keep doing your snow god thing @Yorksboy snowHead
latest report
It’s been snowing since we arrived, loving Saalbach already - Hotel Bauer is so far bloody excellent including the head waiter pretty much saying he will ensure we can watch the rugby tomorrow and a fabulous dinner, oh and did I say it’s snowing, balcony footprints on arrival have already been filled in, cannot wait to get skiing tomorrow and also already planning our return
snow report
@roguemazza, Glad to hear, will be at the Bauer a month today. Please do not use up all the snow!
snow report
@radar Didn’t drive. The first trip was with Crystal using EasyJet flights from Liverpool dep 11.20. We have used this flight before and it’s a much more pleasant experience at a civilised time than using Manchester and a Tui flight at 6-30am. Everything about Liverpool is better than Manchester airport even though it’s a bit further to travel.

The second short break was using Lufthansa flights from Manchester to Munich, got them for £220 return and that includes free ski carriage. Had to use this route as there wasn’t a sensible midweek option for return via Salzburg. Didnt was the hassle of hiring a car for the transfer hence used Austrian transfers which weren’t cheap but were spot on.
snow report
@Richard Farndale, there was a sole UK registered car in the car park at Die Sonne, kind of stands out our apartment looks straight at the hotel and the car park.

Glad you enjoyed it there have had a friend do the day spa there and she loved it.
snow conditions
Just want to say, Saalbach is awful and nobody should ever come here skiing, ever Very Happy
Needs to be left alone for those of us that want terrible runs, lifts and snow Very Happy
I bloody love it here, cracking cracking day on the slopes with fresh snow and a few too many beers consumed watching the rugby, bring on tomorrow’s skiing, Heading up Hinterglemm way
Bobbys was cracking for the rugby
snow report
Hi all,

Arrive on Saturday, pleased to see some unexpected (at least according to Bergfex) snowfall today.

Appreciate no one here will know for certain but I'm wondering for those with more experience of Saalbach than me how likely it is piste 86 will open again? Reason for asking is we are staying at Die Sonne and it provides a nice route back. Part of me thinks they might just leave it now for the remainder of the season and focus on other routes but hopefully the top up of the last few days convinces them otherwise!

Also hoping piste 168 opens as in my two previous visits to Saalbach we have not managed to ski it!
ski holidays
Hi all,

Arriving in Hinterglemm for first time on Thursday. Group of 10 friends (Norwegian ski junkies). Has been trying to book a table for lunch on Saturday in several of the alms, but most seem to not take reservations. Is this correct or am I just callin the wrong ones? Since we are as many as 10 people, I would prefer to have something lined up and reserved .. but maybe I'm worrying for no reason? Just as easy just to show up without a booking? And of course, do feel free to reccomend the best lunch spots on the mountain. Especially looking for something close to Hinterglemm and had been thinking about Pffeferalm or Sonnalm... but very open to suggestions!!

Thanks for any answers. Great reading these forums, already helped us a ton with the planning!

H
snow conditions
@Hans1979, I would have thought you could just expect to turn up without booking, especially on changeover day. Hard to imagine that big places, like the Walleggalm, Wieseralm, and Sonnhof would be full.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy