Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2022/23 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@ski for fun, I’ve had some good skiing days in the last week. Tuesday I went over to Zell am See ski area, which was largely enjoyable. Wednesday up to the Kitzsteinhorn glacier, which was absolutely idyllic - clear blue sky and perfect snow. Friday I was at Leogang - pretty slushy snow, but still enjoyable - Hendl Fischerei for lunch and Bergeralm for happy hour. Today I went up late, at around 3.00pm, and had a little ski around the Kohlmais. It started snowing quite heavily at the top, with rain or sleet (forecast to turn to snow later) lower down. The pistes were absolutely deserted, so they were in surprisingly good condition, compared with how they have been earlier this month, especially piste 159, which I’d describe as good.
Dutch week is a pain in the back bottom - dreadful noise (banging, loud, monotonous music, and DJs, who like the sound of their own voices, shouting). But it’s easily avoided. Just steer clear of the bars where they all huddle together.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

view from the Westgipfelhütte the red down into hinterglemm was in good condition all of last week, so much so that we went back up from mid station and did it again, the bottom bit got a bit chewed up, it the bit where you go right and then down into Hinterglemm

Did the world cup run a couple of times as well, the section beyond the mid station held up well , the black looked a bit thin from the gondola but was actually a decent once you got past the entrance on to it.

Went to Walleggalm for morning coffee last week , hadn't been before, it's big and they lay on busses to get you there and back, who knew!

Did Leogang a couple of times both blues (twice) all the way down , we take the black 202 to avoid the flat bit through Leogang stoped for lunch around 13.30 at the Alte Schmiede

On the spur of the moment we took 161a from the mid station on the Schönleiten around 10ish which was a delight often overlooked a people are seeking their destination we skied it virtually alone and perfectly groomed .
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks radar , burgis is the only place that would affect us really as we usually end up in there on several pre dinner apres evenings on our visits . Reckon we would still try and make it sometime during the first 2 weeks of march which is our favorite time having been in jan (short days)and feb ( too busy)in years gone by .maisalm didnt seem that popular this year when we called the music was worse (a subjective view) than the top of kohlmais but then im of the victor meldrew generation and we never ended up down the run at the soul house on any day , cheers
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
“ the music was worse (a subjective view) than the top of kohlmais”

Is that possible?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
radar wrote:

view from the Westgipfelhütte the red down into hinterglemm was in good condition all of last week, so much so that we went back up from mid station and did it again, the bottom bit got a bit chewed up, it the bit where you go right and then down into Hinterglemm

Did the world cup run a couple of times as well, the section beyond the mid station held up well , the black looked a bit thin from the gondola but was actually a decent once you got past the entrance on to it.

Went to Walleggalm for morning coffee last week , hadn't been before, it's big and they lay on busses to get you there and back, who knew!

Did Leogang a couple of times both blues (twice) all the way down , we take the black 202 to avoid the flat bit through Leogang stoped for lunch around 13.30 at the Alte Schmiede

On the spur of the moment we took 161a from the mid station on the Schönleiten around 10ish which was a delight often overlooked a people are seeking their destination we skied it virtually alone and perfectly groomed .

can you give more info ref the bus to Wallegelm pls?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
tatmanstours wrote:
@ski for fun, I’ve had some good skiing days in the last week. Tuesday I went over to Zell am See ski area, which was largely enjoyable. Wednesday up to the Kitzsteinhorn glacier, which was absolutely idyllic - clear blue sky and perfect snow. Friday I was at Leogang - pretty slushy snow, but still enjoyable - Hendl Fischerei for lunch and Bergeralm for happy hour. Today I went up late, at around 3.00pm, and had a little ski around the Kohlmais. It started snowing quite heavily at the top, with rain or sleet (forecast to turn to snow later) lower down. The pistes were absolutely deserted, so they were in surprisingly good condition, compared with how they have been earlier this month, especially piste 159, which I’d describe as good.
Dutch week is a pain in the back bottom - dreadful noise (banging, loud, monotonous music, and DJs, who like the sound of their own voices, shouting). But it’s easily avoided. Just steer clear of the bars where they all huddle together.

Another big dump over the next 48hrs...arrive thu AM, its looking a bit damp, but I'm hopeful we can get high enough to enjoy new snow!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Dravot, https://www.walleggalm.at/mountain-bus.html
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
radar wrote:
@Dravot, https://www.walleggalm.at/mountain-bus.html

danke
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DJ Toni playing at the Walleggalm this season I noticed. He used to play at the Schwartzacher and was excellent (if apres cheese is your thing). Never saw him this year as we only came over to S-H for 1 day when at Zell a couple of weeks ago
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Now here and first day on skis today. Definitely very quiet, Barnalm wasn't even half full over lunch. Better days visibility than expected, pretty warm in the afternoon and been raining for the last good few hours in the village ... due to get colder overnight so here's hoping for a good top up tomorrow and maybe Tuesday.

Kid's ski instructor was saying due to be very high winds tomorrow so links maybe closed, we'll see what happens Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Everything white again here now, still snowing pretty heavily. Lot's up high, pistes were effectively fluffy off piste. Windy and variable visibility.

Looks like continuing to snow overnight and possibly a bit clearer tomorrow afternoon which could be fantastic. Either way nice to see Saalbach in it's winter coat at least for a couple of days Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Rowlski, as I’ve been discovering all season, things can change radically in a day. No two days are the same.
What amuses me, not least from discussions on this site, is how a resort tends to get the credit, or the blame, as the case may be, for the prevailing weather. Early April in Saalbach is often idyllic, with great snow, perfect pistes, and few people. This season may be the same, contrary to expectations. On the other hand…
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
just returned (Wed-Sunday) from a 16 strong group on a stag party a mixture of skiers, non-skiers and newbies in lessons.
We had a fantastic time with plenty of skiing and upbeat atmosphere.
Second time in Saalbach for me and I do find the variety of bars and restaurants/hotels to be top drawer.
We stayed in the Jufa Alpenhotel which was excellent on all fronts.
The only thing that caught us out was our shortage of short sleeved clobber as it was certainly very warm at times.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What a difference a day makes! Lovely in the village this evening, winter wonderland like.

Looking forward to tomorrow's skiing.

Edited given inept image posting!

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 27-03-23 20:56; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ahhh dammit, what am I doing wrong with my image posting? Dullard question I know!
ski holidays
add a [/img] at the end (if you select <preview> the forum software has tools which will do it for you)
ski holidays
Thanks @geoffers, done that, maybe it doesn't like Google photos as a source. Doesn't seem to want to work Puzzled
latest report
@Rowlski, the address that you put between the IMG tags has to link directly to an image. These do not - they link to an HTML page full of Google tracking code and wrappers, in the middle of which is the image.

Even if you manage to get a direct link to the image, the forum software is pretty simplistic, and expects image addresses to end in .jpg or .png or similar, from which it derives the image type, which it needs to correctly embed it in the page.
snow conditions
Thanks @security_hamster, given up then until I can find another way of storing and referencing.
ski holidays
Just walked home at 1.00am after visiting friends in the upper part of the village, and I could hardly believe how much light, powdery snow was lying deep on the roads and footpaths. It’s certainly a serious dump. Mother Nature has a habit of doing this, just as everyone thinks that the season’s as good as over.
latest report
I think this season has left me so flat I don't think I'd even risk booking a season closing weekend the day before, just going to let this one slide away and hope the next season is better and, god forbid, better value.
latest report
@ollski2.0, it's all just luck of the draw isn't it though. We arrived on Saturday just gone and it was absolutely miserable with torrential rain at times. First day skiing on Sunday was ok up high early on but lower down a mega slush fest and got to be honest the lack of visible snow even high up wasn't terribly heartening.

Then temps dropped Sunday evening and it then snowed non stop for well over 24 hours. Meant sketchy visibility and some closed lifts on Monday but lovely fresh snow. Skiing today has been fantastic, lovely pistes with fresh snow and a good half metre off piste (I know as I face planted in it! snowHead )

Should be good tomorrow though possibly rainy again even high up. So we'll have a total mix but c'est la vie. Today and yesterday were so good I'll take some less good days with it, either way on the mountain having fun and we'll be taking the usual gamble on the same week of the season again next year I expect.
ski holidays
Yeah mid march is our usual and never really been disappointed before. Although mayrhofen was roasting hot last year there was a decent base, this year saalbach was just so green it was a little weird. How they kept any snow on the lower pistes though is an absolute marvel.
snow report
Today was amazing. Saw a friend on the back of a skidoo - he’d lost a ski in the off-piste powder!
snow report
Adventure today. Broke binding in off piste on Schattberg and was rescued by a Yorkshire man who gave me one of his skis. He then skied to the base on one ski! Very Happy
ski holidays
@peter w, eeek! Shocked

Sounds like a proper Yorkshireman... and obviously a damn fine skier to boot Very Happy Very Happy

Another great day's skiing today, sounds like quite heavy rain now, hoping its not too heavy tomorrow.
snow conditions
Does anyone know what is happening to the Kohlmais ski depot attached to (or at least managed by) Brundl Sports? It would have been perfect for some accommodation I was considering up the hill from it but they have just replied to say the shop is being remodelled and the depot 'given away'. Is it being taken over by the Tourist Office to manage or going completely?
ski holidays
@toyah807, I live about 100 m “up the hill” from the Bründl sports shop on Schiliftstrasse, and I’m obviously very familiar with it. But I know nothing about any “ski depot”.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@tatmanstours, sorry, you may know them as ski lockers. Your local knowledge is likely better, mine is from the list of places to store skis sent to me by the tourist office a couple of years ago and an email from Nadia at the Kohlmais branch this morning
snow conditions
@toyah807, as my apartments are opposite the Kohlmaisbahn lift station, my guests and I have no need or use for ski lockers, so I’ve never enquired. I’m still not sure where they are supposed to be - at the lift station, or at the Bründl shop.
ski holidays
We looked at the website for brundl depots and it said closest to saalbach was zell am see. I didn't see any at kohlmais and we did look but ended up using sport 2000 at the bottom of schattberg.
ski holidays
10 days without a post on here must be summer , ah well I hope to be in saalbach in 10 months 3 weeks time. Doesnt seem that long said like that ,cheers all
snow conditions
Before we know it, the 23/24 thread will be started. After a cracking time in Saalbach, I've decided to try Soll and Solden next year. It was an excellent place to get my head back in the skiing game, and no doubt I'll be back again. Thanks to everyone who took part in the treasure hunt, I'm going to do it again next year in both new (to me!) resorts, so keep your eyes peeled on the forum if you're interested.
latest report
@ski for fun, been too busy skiing - and recovering! The last week has quite possibly been the best of the whole season, with fresh snow, cold temperatures, a variety of weather, and fairly deserted pistes. Even the runs that can be a bit challenging in late season were in beautiful condition.
As usual the piste maintenance has been first class, and it’s been possible to ski down to the village without problems from all three directions: Schattberg, Bernkogel and Kohlmais.
Today was the last day, although Leogang remains open for another six days. Fittingly it was the most beautiful weather imaginable, and also my biggest day of the season - 100km travelled (12,200 vertical meters), including Schattberg, Westgipfel, Zwölferkogel, Leogang and Kohlmais. Possibly the best run of the day was black number one, Schattberg Nord.
I’ve also been over to Fieberbrunn a couple of times in the last few days, and the skiing’s been great.
I’ve always said that early April is one of my favourite times, and this season has been no exception. I’ve skied my legs off during the last week - by far my biggest week of the season.
And sitting in the sun having lunch at the Stöcklalm in Leogang today was a lovely way to finish too.
snow report
@toyah807, brundl sports have ski lockers in their shop which I used this year, however from your comment it suggests that they are removing them
ski holidays
@ribblevalleyblue, thanks. Yes, it seems they must be.
snow report
Hi folks, 26 pages is too much for me to read, however we are thinking of the ski circus for next January, and my question is if I stayed in zell am see do we have to drive to saalbach to actually get onto the other three areas, or is there a way to ski to it? It looks like there is a lift connecting Saalbach to zell, which would mean the area would be more opened up to us. I know you need to drive to one of the areas, but we will have a car. All four of us will ski anything that is put in our way. Hate crowded blues though,
snow report
Pretty sure there is an off piste / piste run down from Zell am See into Saalbach area but you might need to get a bus from the bottom or something. Apparently in the past they weren't in a hurry to advertise it due to inter-resort rivalry but that may have changed now and they were working on a lift back up or something. Tatsman or some other regular will doubtless be able to give you updated position.
snow conditions
You could ski from Zell to Saalbach but the best way is to drive and park at the Kohlmaisbahn (which is free). This allows you to make the most of the day because you don't have to race back to get the Zell Express back over.

I would highly recommend getting the Superski pass for around €20 extra for the week. If you have a car, you can easily get to Maria Alm, Bad Gastein and the Resterhöhe lift for the Kitzbuhel area. One of the best things about Zell is the ability to get out of it easily!
snow conditions
biddpyat wrote:
Hi folks, 26 pages is too much for me to read, however we are thinking of the ski circus for next January, and my question is if I stayed in zell am see do we have to drive to saalbach to actually get onto the other three areas, or is there a way to ski to it? It looks like there is a lift connecting Saalbach to zell, which would mean the area would be more opened up to us. I know you need to drive to one of the areas, but we will have a car. All four of us will ski anything that is put in our way. Hate crowded blues though,

You can get the bus from Zell
Runs are dependant on conditions. 168 was closed for a large chunk, so would mean you needing the free valley bus to get around. Zell link run/Gondola is the opposite side of the road to 168 - both are in viennhofen if you was looking at the Piste map.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy