Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomiti Superski: 3rd party liability insurance requirement

Poster: A snowHead
I saw this new-as-of Jan 2022 requirement by Dolomiti Superski for third party liability insurance when I was learning about how to use my Ikon pass there. Any idea if proof of the coverage is required? The website is typically vague. Skiing with a certificate of insurance, must say that'd be a new one. Guessing they just tell you its required and bust you if its needed and you don't have it.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Scooter in Seattle, This was discussed earlier in the year. The conclusion was that, as all travel insurances policies include third party liability, there was no need for an extra policy..

This was part of the email I received from DolomitiSuperski

"New safety regulations
With the start of the new year 2022, some new safety regulations will come into force in ski areas.

Helmets will be compulsory for all minors involved in the most common winter sports, such as downhill skiing, snowboarding, telemark skiing, freestyle skiing and tobogganing.

In addition, every user of the ski areas must have third-party liability insurance. Those who do not have this insurance can buy it at the skipass offices or on the website dolomitisuperski.com even for single days, through the Dolomiti Superski partner.

Finally, it will be forbidden to ski in a state of drunkenness (the limits laid down in the Highway Code will be applied, i.e. 0.5 mg of alcohol per litre of blood) or under the influence of drugs.

We wish you a Happy New Year 2022 and start safely on our slopes.."
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@albob, thank you, but that "conclusion" as stated appears to assume that everyone buys travel insurance, so those who don't would seem to be exposed based solely on that conclusion. The language you received is the same as on the DS website, and plainly calls for coverage, just not for proof. I'm looking for something a little more definitive and thought it might have been driven to ground here, we'll see. If not I'll just ask DS. I've asked my insurance broker for their thoughts on whether standard liability & umbrella policies cover this.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are always people who put others at risk by NOT having insurance. People are injured by uninsured drivers every day.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I seem to remember they offered us insurance when we bought our passes at the ticket office last january.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Scooter in Seattle, not skied in the Dolomites for a while, but I believe this is a national policy and last season in Aosta valley, the requirement was just to hold the insurance, not to prove it to anybody. (I am a member of the ÖAV, which automatically provides personal liability insurance, so anyone else with AAV or similar membership should be fine as well.)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Scooter in Seattle, I was in the Dolomites in March this year; was made aware that it was a requirement when booking but assumed my insurance covered it. We weren't asked to show this anywhere
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Italy was unusual in Europe in not charging for piste rescue, elsewhere you probably wanted insurance to cover this and the policy would also include third-party liability.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not the point of the thread I know.

albob wrote:
from Dolomiti: ”. . . it will be forbidden to ski in a state of drunkenness (the limits laid down in the Highway Code will be applied, i.e. 0.5 mg of alcohol per litre of blood) or under the influence of drugs . . ."

Shome mishtake Shirley? According to my calculator, that equates to binging on 1/10th of a teaspoonful of 5 percent beer.
I’d not comply with that!

The legal limit for driving in Italy if you’ve had your licence for more than 3 years is actually 0.5g of alcohol per litre of blood, i.e. 1000 times greater. Phew. Perhaps numeracy really is declining as an art.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rjs, they did when I needed skidooed down to an awaiting ambulance - had to show some insurance info and they were very annoyed I didn't have my passport ... then had to sign something to say I'd cover the charge before the ambulance drove off (luckily I broke my right collar bone and I'm left handed Very Happy )
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As ever, it seems worth pointing out the value of taking up the insurance offered when buying your ski pass, which is usually a relatively trivial extra cost. Yes, your UK travel insurance should cover for accident help and the £100/minute flight time for heli-evac, and the pisteurs closing the piste and the heli-doctor etc. etc. and yes, the GHIC will cover reciprocal A&E and hospital costs. But the value of the local piste insurance is that it will streamline the whole recovery process and obviate the need for any payments which then have to be recovered via the subsequent insurance claims process. This at a point where you may be injured and not really keen to focus on a discussion in a foreign language over cover and associated payments or documentation.

It sounds like there's now an additional value to the local ski pass insurance inasmuch as it will guarantee your'e covered in the case of 3rd-party liability as well, the main upside being that again, having it will streamline any dialogue in the event of an accident.

It's one thing to be sat in front of a screen on a summer's day, reading posts that confirm you don't really need to take out the additional insurance with the ski pass. It's quite another to be lying in the snow with a possible broken arm/leg/hip or other injury, in some pain and needing treatment and rescue off the piste, possibly via helicopter, and possibly with no one accompanying you. At that point, you will welcome anything that helps streamline the process.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My friend's son fell at Seceda last Jan and fractured a vertebrae. He was helivacced to Bolzano and rebuilt. Friend hasn't yet had a bill for helicopter.

It did make for an interesting Strava record, vertical ascent at speed etc Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
OK the definitive response from Dolomiti Superski is as follows:

"in case of accident or control from the police or other special forces, you will need to provide the proof your third party liability insurance. It can be a confirmation from your insurance on paper or by email."

My own liability insurance provides the requisite coverage, so I don't need to purchase more to be in compliance. Buying insurance on top of insurance is not something I do regularly, but at times (certain car rental situations) I'll go ahead and buy it for piece of mind/convenience purposes as noted by others above. Until I read the fine print of what the lift operator is selling I can't say what I'll do when I get to DS, but if their coverage is merely duplicative of my own I'll pass.

On a somewhat related note, I recently learned about repatriation insurance from a woman who didn't have it and so her medically-required private jet ride back to the US from Europe cost her a cool hundred grand. I wonder what the premium is for that?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I wonder what the premium is for that?

Affordable for most people, I guess - and it's what insurance is for. Hedging against an improbable but expensive event. The affordability diminish alongside the improbability. Working it all out is what the actuaries do.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The drunkenness skiing is a bit of a shame. I wouldn’t exactly say I am drunken whilst skiing but I must confess to enjoying a Bombardino at around 10am, followed by medicinal vin brûlées on the hour. Maybe a grande Weiss beer at lunchtime, perhaps another bombardino mid afternoon and then the obligatory evening wine. I suspect I might be over the drink drive limit most of my waking hours and that my liability insurance might be void.
snow report
@IainMcT, It's the Weiss bier where you're going wrong. Confused Swap that for a Forst or a Pauliner chased down with a local Grappa and you'll be in excellent shape.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy