Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

USA Family - Cervinia Apr2023 (Seeking Advice)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, I'm new to SnowHeads, live in New York City area, and have never skied in Europe. I'm hoping that this amazing community can guide me in the right direction for my family's first ski holiday in Europe. I originally posted a few weeks ago asking for resort recommendations (link below to related post for reference).

As stated in the OP, we are a group of 2 families: one adult advanced intermediate, one beginner adult (will need lessons), four children (7, 8, 9, 12 y/o) that will need ski school, and two first-time adults (wives are willing to try skiing on this trip!)

Due to fluctuations in flight prices, we decided to fly into Milan and will arrive on Sat, 01-Apr. We have also amended our plans to compromise with the non-skiers and agreed to a modified ski vacation. We will spend time being a tourist in and around Milan on both the front and back end of the trip. We will travel to Aosta Valley on Monday and are staying at a self catered villa in Chambave (20 mins to Aosta, 45 mins to Cervinia). We will ski at Cervinia Tues-Thurs (04-Apr to 06-Apr), with check out Friday. If the conditions are optimal Friday, I may be able to squeeze an extra day on the slopes (fingers crossed)!

In preparation, I need:
(1) English speaking ski school for the children
(2) English speaking private ski lessons for the beginner adults
(3) place to hire skis and boots
(4) things to do for the non-skier adults in (4a) Cervinia, (4b) on the mountain (are there pedestrian lift passes for the non-skiers to meet for lunch/apres?), and (4c) in the Aosta Valley
(5) places to eat in (5a) Cervinia, (5b) on the mountain, (5c) Aosta, (5d) Aosta Valley
(6) logistics in and on the mountain (e.g. parking, ski pass, best way to Zermatt, etc.)

I hope this community can help me with anything and everything Aosta Valley/Cervinia ski trip planning!

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=160929#5010654]
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
too many variables!
I suggest contact/choose a ski school (now!) and sort out the lessons… then ask them the remaining q’s in the first instance!
https://www.cervinia.it/en/cosa-fare/attivita-di-test-2-18
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would not make my first ski trip to Europe from the US with first time skiers +4 kids under 12 a 3 day affair with so many moving parts. I don't think that anyone will really enjoy the experience. Agree with Wildsmith. Ski school first.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@purplhays, You must really like driving.

I presume you will need to shop for food. There looks to be a Conad supermarket in Chatilion, where you turn off the Aosta valley up to Cervinia.

There is a good big Carrerfour supermarket next to the Airport in Aosta, it will have lots of part-prepared meals as well as any ingredients that you might want, you may find you want to eat in after seeing it. I haven't been to any restaurants in Aosta, so can't help there.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Any suggestions on which ski school for novice skiers 7-12 y/o that only speak English?

@rjs Compromising with the beginner/non-skiing adults to enable flexibility and Americans LOVE driving. Will definitely check out those supermarkets, thank you!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@purplhays, can't help with specifics but as @Wildsmith, says, get your ski school sorted first. I suspect you'll be looking at private lessons for the kids too, as you'll be arriving mid week and group lessons usually run on a weekly basis.

My other thought is that getting over to Zermatt from Cervinia (and back again) may be a bit ambitious for the beginners in your group. Other snowHeads will be able to advise on that. You really don't want to get stuck in Zermatt, especially since you're only skiing for 3 days.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've skied in Cervinia a couple of times over the years, usually when I've been skiing in Zermatt. Upon reflection, it's a great little area, and superb to learn in, food is of a pretty good standard, especially if you are used to the stuff that gets served up on your side of the pond (just a little fun dig).
I've never had a bad meal on the mountain when visiting Cervinia.

Most of the ski school instructor speak English, the choice will be group lessons where you could see children mixed in with other kids and nationalities or Private group lessons.

Scuola Cervinio is a reputable ski school, with a large number of instructors, one of our friends used them for a family ski holiday to teach the kids and wifey to ski, they were in a mixed nationality group. The instructors spoke English well enough so no problem.
http://www.scuolacervino.com/en. contact them well in advance and ask them any specific questions.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@purplhays,

3. https://www.genzianellasport.it/en/amp from the Cretaz ski rental

Rather conveniently this ski school is next door to the ski rental shop. No personal recommendation but I'd give them a call and speak to them to find out what you want to know. https://www.scuoladiscibreuil.com/
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@purplhays,
Doing less than the full week I think you'll be looking at private (as opposed to general group) lessons for the kids. But with four of them not too bad as private lessons boast of their small pupil group size.
If you ate planning on joining everyone else for lunch then I don'tvthonk you'll get much skiing over in Zermatt. Perhaps stick to Cervinia/Valtournenche? Cheaper for lunch, anyway!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
purplhays wrote:
If the conditions are optimal Friday, I may be able to squeeze an extra day on the slopes

Maybe plan to do this at Pila. If you park in Aosta then get the lift/tram up then you are a lot closer to the Autostrada for the drive back to the airport.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@purplhays, have you driven in Italy before? If not you might find it rather an "experience". Note that there are limitations on driving into the centre of Milan, check with your hotel / accommodation whether you need a permit. You might find the speed on the Autostrada somewhat surprising (officially speed limit is 130km/h, about 85mph, though many go faster) and patience is in short supply. The toll booths do accept credit cards but can be fiddly.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

officially speed limit is 130km/h, about 85mph

A mistake which quite a lot of UK drivers tend to make. 130 km is less than 81 miles - and 110 is less than 69. wink Apart from round Turin, with toll booths every few miles, seemingly, I've not found driving in Italy a big problem. There is an oddity of signposting, though, which can be confusing till you get used to it - suggesting you need to be in an outside lane at a junction in order to go straight on. I did find myself once or twice sitting in an outside lane, not entirely sure what I was doing, with impatient drivers behind me. I soon learnt you can stay in an inside lane and not be forced off onto a junction.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy