Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val D'Isere or Tignes?

Poster: A snowHead
Kenzie wrote:
Extremophile wrote:
Kenzie wrote:
Extremophile wrote:
Have to say I prefer Tignes Val Claret not Le Lac - In Le lac, you'll be limited to skiing the home run on Palafour/Chaudanne side only (or downloading on Toviere gondola over the Black run), or skiing in to VC then jumping on the bus back to Le Lac - so why not stay just stay in VC, you'll be able to ski the home run from all 3 sides.

To answer your 'why not just stay in Val Claret':- the week in question is the one most often used by British students for their Uni trips, and if Tignes is the destination this season (don't know, but it often is) they stay in VC.

Yeah, because Le Lac is peace and quiet Shocked

*don't make me get my sarcasm sign out*

Did I mention Le Lac?

The current debate is between Le lac and VC, so while you may not have mentioned Le Lac, if it's a binary debate, and you're coming up with reason NOT to stay in VC, by default the implication is that whatever your reason not to stay in VC that 'thing' wouldn't exist in Le Lac. so NehNeh
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@dominichayhoe, apols if I’ve missed the answer to these. I think you’ve stated (summary):
- first trip to Alps
- not skied any mountains before
- eldest daughter insists on ramps/rails
- adult male + 2 (14 & 12 years old)
- all parallel skiers…beginner to intermediate category

If any of above I’ve misunderstood, useful to know which.

My questions:
Where, on what surface(s) and how much (days / hours?) have each of you skied before and has that included any professional tuition?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Extremophile, valid point, well made.

From my (only) 2 experiences of being in the area formerly known as Espace Killy (squiggle now??)during UK Student Week in December.

The most popular afternoon return route skiing to Val Claret, Piste Henri, was like The Wacky Races after 2 hours in a free bar.

The most popular afternoon route skiing back to Le Lac (Tignes 2100) was the same, only steeper (Trolles).

The other main afternoon options to return to Le Lac, ending down the Palafour side (a blue and a red), are busy but less demanding than above.

Of course, there are options to download in lifts, often a sensible choice, depending on conditions lower down.

Apart from that factor, I find Le Lac a more agreeable base to walk around, when not skiing. Subjective personal taste.
Skiing convenience wise, not much to choose between them IMO.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PeakyB wrote:
@Extremophile, valid point, well made.

From my (only) 2 experiences of being in the area formerly known as Espace Killy (squiggle now??)during UK Student Week in December.

The most popular afternoon return route skiing to Val Claret, Piste Henri, was like The Wacky Races after 2 hours in a free bar.

The most popular afternoon route skiing back to Le Lac (Tignes 2100) was the same, only steeper (Trolles).

The other main afternoon options to return to Le Lac, ending down the Palafour side (a blue and a red), are busy but less demanding than above.

Of course, there are options to download in lifts, often a sensible choice, depending on conditions lower down.

Apart from that factor, I find Le Lac a more agreeable base to walk around, when not skiing. Subjective personal taste.
Skiing convenience wise, not much to choose between them IMO.

But that's the beauty of having 3 or 4 home run options to choose from.

Yes you can go via Toviere and Henri or
You can either stay skiing on the Val side and come back on the Borsat chair and take the blue run under Fresse - forget its name, or
You can go up the glacier or at least the mid station and ski back via Genepi (last part of run is the blue under Fresse) , or if they are feeling more confident Double M.
OR you can ski on Tichot side and come back via Carline - I quite like doing this.

Options options.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Extremophile, more good points, well made. Perfect for many skiers / riders.

Just that on a first time trip to the mountains, treeless Tignes, beginner/early intermediates, wanting ramps/rails, mid December, UK student week, perhaps Folie Douce late afternoon (my imagination’s running riot)….there may be trou
-ble ahead wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PeakyB wrote:
@Extremophile, more good points, well made. Perfect for many skiers / riders.

Just that on a first time trip to the mountains, treeless Tignes, beginner/early intermediates, wanting ramps/rails, mid December, UK student week, perhaps Folie Douce late afternoon (my imagination’s running riot)….there may be trou
-ble ahead wink

Yeah, all of them things. But for reasons already discussed on this thread, ValD may not be the right option either... so whatcha-gonna-do? something has got to give.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Extremophile, yes, thankfully not my problem. Fingers crossed, if their trip happens, it’ll all work out fine.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I’m looking forward to answers to the pertinent questions from @burnsieboy,
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would not bank on the "the blue run under Fresse" being open from 10th-17th Dec. It hasn't been for the past several seasons. Similarly, the Fresse lift hasn't run all the way to the top that week either. You can still get to the run by climbing up the bank from the run around from Borsat, but if it's not officially open then I'm not sure its wise to do it with beginners. Not sure about Genepy or Cairns - we don't normally go up the glacier.

Similarly, Chaudannes hasn't opened until the week before Christmas for the past several seasons, so the red run (Bleuetts) down into Le Lac won't be accessible either.

However, given the presumed make up of the group, I'd pick Val Claret or La Daille simply for the ease and number of ways of getting back into resort at the end of day. Yes both can be a bit "Wacky Races"
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Judwin wrote:
I would not bank on the "the blue run under Fresse" being open from 10th-17th Dec. It hasn't been for the past several seasons. Similarly, the Fresse lift hasn't run all the way to the top that week either. You can still get to the run by climbing up the bank from the run around from Borsat, but if it's not officially open then I'm not sure its wise to do it with beginners. Not sure about Genepy or Cairns - we don't normally go up the glacier.

Similarly, Chaudannes hasn't opened until the week before Christmas for the past several seasons, so the red run (Bleuetts) down into Le Lac won't be accessible either.

However, given the presumed make up of the group, I'd pick Val Claret or La Daille simply for the ease and number of ways of getting back into resort at the end of day. Yes both can be a bit "Wacky Races"

Yes to all of those - that's the quandry over skiing so early in the season isn't it - there will be skiing to be had, but how much and how good are entirely up to chance that time of year.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Criterium is on the 10th and 11th so it's likely to be bedlam in Val on the transfer front depending on arrival time, but at least most of the slopes should be open to the general punter on the 12th, but they could be blue boiler plate if they have watered the course, ok if its Face, but if they plan to use the runs into La Daille there may be dragons.

Edit Just seen there is an FIS event 14 and 15 Dec on the FIS website. Unfortunately there's nothing on the official Val website. If this is the case the skiing into La Daille may well be very limited, so very few home runs for the intermediate.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
chocksaway wrote:
Edit Just seen there is an FIS event 14 and 15 Dec on the FIS website. Unfortunately there's nothing on the official Val website. If this is the case the skiing into La Daille may well be very limited, so very few home runs for the intermediate.

The 14-15 event looks to be on Face to me.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've only once skied down into La Daille but from what I remember it was lumpy and not that easy, especially as it was littered with beginners who would have been better off downloading in a lift and were all determined to ski Right Up Close with their equally wobbly friends and family.
And then we had to wait in a big crowd for a bus. I wasn't impressed. My son spent a season cooking in Val d'Isere and loved the place. An expert skier, he enjoyed the Face early in the morning but CBA with it late in the day. Val d'Isere has loads to offer but it really helps to be willing to download.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
if its purely between the two its really got to be tignes at that time of year, the bus links are good so even if the lower villages are short on snow (should you decide to stay there) its easy to access the upper villages / glacier. it can be a bit bleak but with your dates in mind i think its the best option.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Going into La Daille, it kinda depends - if you know where you are going its actually relatively easy to avoid the "use the entire width of the piste" people.

It has also probably changed a lot if anyone hasnt been for a few years, in that there is a new bubble going up and down to Folie Douce, which beginners do use to download. In a similar way as Val D have made the Solaise a "beginner friendly" area by having great up/download options.

I have never stayed in Val, and imv Tignes even now is simpler at the end of the day to ski back to any of the villages whereas Val was / is a nightmare of chopped up bumps full of beginners - quite tiring tbqhwy.

However, these days, Val D now has plenty options for download so you can ponce out if necessary.
snow report
I have a really soft spot for Val D'Isere. It's where my Kids learned to ski - we stayed in the Rond Point des Piste apartments, which was quite handy for skiing and not that handy for supermarkets. I also have stayed in a Chalet that had a 8-10 min walk to the lifts. As others have said, it is the more aesthetically attractive option......but it comes at a cost.

I have also stayed at both Lac (when Kids were still quite young) and Val Claret many times.....and was twice at Val Claret around the time when you will be going (it was during the Men's Downhill around 17/18 years ago), and it is probably here that I would recommend, due to gentler runs back to the resort/extra height/easy access to Glacier.
ski holidays
Personally hate the resort nowadays. But tignes at least has a chance of skiing home. Val d you need to gondola down as a beginner/new to skiing. Even as a pretty experienced skier in January a couple of year ago it was freaking horrible. And that was doing the reds and blacks into resort, as under experienced idiots would wipe out a whole swathe of skiers.
ski holidays
Lucywuk wrote:
And that was doing the reds and blacks into resort, as under experienced idiots would wipe out a whole swathe of skiers.

Totally agree, having done 6 full seasons, and then moved in to month long stays after i finished seasons I'm not a bad skier, but relying on other people to ski safely is making skiing more and more difficult - Last time I was on the Face, so bloke decided to straight line it from the top of the last steep section he almost took me out and several others, i caught up to him and told him he was being really dangerous and it wasn't his skill that stopped him hitting people... in an attitude that is becoming disturbingly common he said 'You are alive, it's no problem'... even some bloke had this attitude when I watched him push over an old man because he wanted to get through the gap without slowing down, I asked him 'how would you like it if i did that to your father?' he said 'He is alive, it's no problem.'
snow conditions
Lucywuk wrote:
Personally hate the resort nowadays. But tignes at least has a chance of skiing home. Val d you need to gondola down as a beginner/new to skiing. Even as a pretty experienced skier in January a couple of year ago it was freaking horrible. And that was doing the reds and blacks into resort, as under experienced idiots would wipe out a whole swathe of skiers.

Santons at the end of the day is particularly bad for this. Narrow run full of beginners struggling to get down.
ski holidays
@drporat, prob right I forgot the beginner bit
latest report
I don't think the universities week helps make the choice; they will be all over the whole domain during the day and their evening and night-time activities are not likely to impinge on those of a 14 and 12 year old.
snow conditions
I'm not quite sure I would have either resort at the top of my list for my first venture to the Alps ... you'll enjoy both much more in 3-4 years when you're more confident and have a solid foundation to explore the whole of the Espace Killy.

Personally, I would avoid the big French resorts and head to Austria and one of the resorts around Salzburg. Easy transfer, English speaking instructors, an abundance of blue runs etc. Or perhaps go for somewhere like Les Gets where you can progress to the wider PdS area when you're eager to put some miles under your skis.

Just a thought ...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy