Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sheffield ski village possible new snow sports centre?

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-38250366

At least there's seemingly something planned. Let's hope that they go for at least including a 'national snowsports centre' Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've heard rumours for a while and was involved in the mountain bike trails up there, which were showing potential right before the fire.

The slope was a big reason I came to Sheffield, I really hope it's revived.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The 'Centre of Excellence' thing was being touted 18 months or so ago...
Problem is, without separate funding, it's nigh on impossible to make artificial ski slopes profitable.

Something from a while back too...
RED RUN | The Abandoned Ski Village from SALT-STREET Productions
https://vimeo.com/128187513
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Here's hoping, worked there when it first opened, Council blocked the last plans IIRC.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I worked there '92-'95...

Here's some discussion on the last plans, which were blocked or never evolved

http://www.snowheads.co.uk/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=5123

Regarding the main slope gradient discussed there, I believe the main slope was 18 degrees. One of the steeper dry slopes at the top, but no where near Hillend in Edinburgh.

I love plastic because of what it gave me in terms of foundation when snow wasn't an option, but I'd not rush to go back on it with the experience I have now. Snowdome has to be the only way to compete really, but is it viable?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think its time it was revived, will it be profitable I don't know.

I used to love skiing on plastic as a kid, but alas found fridges and have rarely skied on plastic since. BUT my little one does! Now he's into freestyle there seems to be a really big scene hovering around dry slopes and I thing this could be the answer.

Spent the evening at Kidsgrove ski slope in Stoke on Trent and they have a full permanent park setup. OK so its run by volunteers, but the facility for freestyle and those learning is excellent. Add to that you've got stoke ski centre who also do great freestyle nights.

Best of all they are affordable (seriously check out kidsgrove if you are in the area - £54 for a junior membership which is ALL of there skiing and lessons FOR A WHOLE YEAR!!!) so we now ski 5 times a week between Tam, Kidsgrove and Stoke, as do all of his freestyle pals.

I think it can be done, just need to get the cool kids down.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wow, that's serious value for money.
I'd love to see it reinstated, exactly for this, nurturing the next generation of Woodsys!

Freestyle on dendix, or snowflex? I used to pull tricks in the bumps and big air off the last roller, but that's probably why one thumb is 1cm shorter than the other now! So many breaks...

My little guy is ready to start but faced with an hour each way to a snowdome currently he won't be going weekly, let alone a few times a week, where as I can see the ski village from the top of our road!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There's been too many rumours over the years for me to get excited yet......but I really hope they come up with a good plan that involves space for skiing and biking. The issue remains about security of the site though. It's still a regular occurrence for the ski village to be on fire, and last time I drove up there there's enough fly tipping to keep the place in fuel!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yet another go at redeveloping Sheffield Ski Village

Not sure if it includes anything to do with skiing

https://www.blmforum.net/mag/plans-progress-to-redevelop-site-of-former-ski-village/
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We used to travel the 240 miles round trip to Sheffield a lot - particularly for the mogul run, which was great. It was our big intro to skiing bumps, 30 years ago! I can't believe where the time has gone Shocked
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Worked there in the early 90's on Sundays. The number of hours I spent on skis made a massive difference to my technique.

Was offered the chance to take an instructors course, but unable to get there from work in time.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Skyline have done some good stuff with the various parks they’ve been involved with so hoping they an put a cohesive plan in front of the right people.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My kids won the English schools championships there (long time ago my youngest is 35 now so must be about 28 years), was a top class slope.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’m another Sheffield resident. When I lived in Lancashire the Rossendale dry slope helped me learn to ski and was great fun. For beginners and learners I’m convinced long dry skies are more effective for learning than fridges. With a big student population I think there would be a good market. After all Sheffield now supports FIVE commercial climbing walls.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@gravity-slave, do you still ride mtb?
snow conditions
Worked a a ski show there for S&R in the early 90s, when they had Eddie the legend Eagle jump over (IIRC) some busses.
Such a shame the slope has fallen into the current state.
latest report
I thought this was an interesting article on SSV.

https://www.sheffieldtribune.co.uk/p/the-rise-and-fiery-fall-of-sheffield
ski holidays
If I recall there was a plan ..turned down by the council,,, in that a developer wanted to build houses on an edge of the site and they would build an indoor skii slope of the same size with real snow...anyone know what happened to that..
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy