Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt and Cervinia 2022-2023

Poster: A snowHead
Raven wrote:
Saw two fighter jets flying past the Matterhorn and over Zermatt this afternoon. Very Top Gun Very Happy

Two flew over Interlaken yesterday (Monday) afternoon. Sadly, no Maverick-like manoeuvres, but enough to get most people's eyes away from the various designer stores for a few seconds.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jebroni3_16 wrote:
Raven wrote:
Saw two fighter jets flying past the Matterhorn and over Zermatt this afternoon. Very Top Gun Very Happy

Two flew over Interlaken yesterday (Monday) afternoon. Sadly, no Maverick-like manoeuvres, but enough to get most people's eyes away from the various designer stores for a few seconds.

It’s certainly not something I’ve seen before at a ski resort. Very ‘wow’ moment, especially as I was up on the slopes at the time. Wish I could have got a photo or video but as you can imagine they were a bit too quick Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As long as there was no Russian insignia! Forecast looks good for our week in Zermatt from this weekend. Warm sunny Sunday, cooling down, snow overnight, and then sunny but cold all week. Could be a great week I hope snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Did the black run off the top of the Hirli lift this morning. Wind was freezing and blowing straight into my face. Great area fir quiet runs though.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Raven, how was the run? Compared with Ober national, if you have done that one down to Pallutrave
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
twoodwar wrote:
@Raven, how was the run? Compared with Ober national, if you have done that one down to Pallutrave

Think I’ve done all the blacks here now (just Zermatt. not cervinia). I found it harder than Ober National but that was more to do with the conditions and there were also a few areas of scraped off snow where it was a big icy. Most of the black runs here aren’t too bad. They pretty much seem to groom everywhere . Weirdly the slope that caught me out was the steep and icy section of one of the red home runs from Sunnega. There’s a sign at the top ‘fir experienced skiers’ and an alternative route.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Raven, cheers.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I lied. There’s a short black run I haven’t done yet. That’s on the agenda for tomorrow Very Happy

Oh and a big icy should be a bit icy.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The two black runs in cervina are like a decent red! Anyone know if the winds are set to calm down in the next few days? We went to pila today, we have two days left so if the winds stay strong we will head for courmayeur tomorrow! 6 day pass does give 2 days in other aosta resorts! Thankfully
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Little off thread, but is the taxi fare still 12chf in Zermatt or if not what please?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Anyone know if there are any barriers to use the Leisee Shuttle? Parents may wish to try skiing on the Peak Pass...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I haven’t used the shuttle myself but there are barriers at every other lift that read your ticket so there probably are… I guess you know the t’s and c’s of the Peak Pass specifically exclude skiing? There is a beginner ski pass which is cheaper and covers the ski area around Findeln and up to Blauherd I think if that was of interest?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There are some Google streetview images from 2016 which cover the Leisee Shuttle quite well, doesn't appear to be any barriers

Aware of the skiing exclusion but they'd probably only be trying it for a few hours - it wouldn't be worthwhile shelling out another 60CHF for the beginner pass whilst having a 6 day peak pass.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, getting ready to fly off to Geneva, and the rail trip round to Zermatt. Looking at the forecast, it’s sunglasses and thermals aplenty.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This is a little off topic - but what does one wear to the restaurants in Zermatt? I've only been to Austria skiing, and it's been very relaxed/casual attire. It seems a bit fancier in Zermatt. Thanks!
ski holidays
@blue&gold, back in the day, there were some places, primarily certain hotels, that required jacket and tie at dinner. That’s long gone (other than maybe the highest end New Years Eve dinners) and most places are pretty casual. Of course it all depends on your definition of relaxed, but jeans, shirts, t shirts, fleeces etc are perfectly fine. Even the more up market restaurants wouldn’t expect more than an open necked shirt I wouldn’t think. I would just wear what you feel comfortable in!
latest report
@blue&gold, ate in a couple of decent hotel restaurants, I couldn’t discern a dress code. There was quite smart, to fleeces to t-shirts and jeans.
snow conditions
Headed to Zermatt on the 18th. I'm trying to get my girls into group classes for the week. Looks like Zermatters might be fully booked already. Has anyone recommend one of the other schools?
snow conditions
Summit
latest report
Can anyone recommend a favorite on mountain restaurant apart from Chez Vrony?
latest report
goweje wrote:

Chalet Etoile in Cervinia - you need to book
snow report
goweje wrote:

Depends on your budget, but Findlerhof is one of mine (at the high end)
latest report
Bontadini also great
latest report
Not to forget Simi in Furi
snow report
Does anyone have experience with Altitude Ski School? It looks like they're big in Verbier and might be just beginning to build out their presence in Zermatt. Summit has some availability but is significantly more expensive. Try to decide if Summit is worth the extra money. Thanks for the restaurant recommendations.
ski holidays
This has probably been asked a million times, but re skiing to the Italian side:

I've seen a couple of posts that describe the route as taking all day. Each described the process beginning from Sunnegga. That makes sense, but if the objective is to get to the other side as fast as possible, can you shortcut the process significantly by starting at Pendelbahn-Furi and heading up to Matterhorn Glacier Paradise directly? I need to be back by to pick my kids from ski school so really I'd like to be coming back on the Swiss side by 3PM at the latest.
latest report
goweje wrote:

Foyer Des Guides on the nr1 piste down to Valtournenche, my favourite on slope restaurant anywhere in the world!
snow report
@goweje, if you start in Zermatt and get the lift from the southern end to Schwarzee/Trockener Steg and on up to Klein Matterhorn it can take up to an hour, then you ski down and over into Cervinia. BUT… be aware that one of the two routes back from Italy is currently closed meaning the cable car up to Plateau Rosa/Testa Grigia is the only way back and depending when you are going there can be significant queues to get back - so we were told at New Year and so we didn’t go over in the end. Just something to be aware of if you need to be back to collect children. I would ask for up to date advice from the ski school once you get there and plan accordingly…
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@GottaCatchEmAll, I ate at Foyer 4 times two weeks ago. Even ate outside several times at lunch. Perfect lunches with Spritzes. Toofy Grin
snow report
goweje wrote:
This has probably been asked a million times, but re skiing to the Italian side:

I've seen a couple of posts that describe the route as taking all day. Each described the process beginning from Sunnegga. That makes sense, but if the objective is to get to the other side as fast as possible, can you shortcut the process significantly by starting at Pendelbahn-Furi and heading up to Matterhorn Glacier Paradise directly? I need to be back by to pick my kids from ski school so really I'd like to be coming back on the Swiss side by 3PM at the latest.

You don’t have to start from Sunnega. Just take the bus to the Kleine Matterhorn stop. Then take the various cable cars and gondolas to the link area.
ski holidays
goweje wrote:
I need to be back by to pick my kids from ski school so really I'd like to be coming back on the Swiss side by 3PM at the latest.

Very do-able.
As has been said, take the bus to Klein Matterhorn lift station and the gondola from there to Trockener Steg via Furi and Schwarzee (its the last stop on the line). Then change to the lift up to Klein Matterhorn and ski down via Testa Grigia along Ventina, a lovely red on glacial snow.
As @scotsgirl said the uplift will take around an hour but that still leaves plenty of time to ski some great pistes above Cervinia. I would avoid going down to Val Tournanche due to time constraints. Remember to come back via the gondola from Plan Maison to the cable car from Cime Lago Bianche up to Testa Grigia as the other return journey is out of action this season.
Where are you dropping your kids off for ski school? Is that at the top of Sunnegga? That does open the possibility of skiing across from there but it would still be quicker to download on the funi and ge the bus.
It might also be worth going over to the Klein Matterhorn area on a prior day to case it out in advance. There's great skiing off the Furgstattel lift and also some good runs off Schwarzee and down from Trockener Steg to Furi
ski holidays
scotsgirl wrote:
@goweje BUT… be aware that one of the two routes back from Italy is currently closed meaning the cable car up to Plateau Rosa/Testa Grigia is the only way back

What am I missing as it appears there are two routes up, which both seem open? - 1. Bontadini or 2. Cime Bianche Laghi
ski holidays
viciousvulture wrote:
scotsgirl wrote:
@goweje BUT… be aware that one of the two routes back from Italy is currently closed meaning the cable car up to Plateau Rosa/Testa Grigia is the only way back

What am I missing as it appears there are two routes up, which both seem open? - 1. Bontadini or 2. Cime Bianche Laghi

Both are open from Zermatt to Cervinia, but the former is closed in the other direction. There was a landslip at the start of the season which caused a temporary closure and then the lift company announced that it would not be repaired until the end of the season. Discussion of this earlier in this thread (pages 8 & 9).
latest report
@DCG, Ah I see what you mean. Looks around 200m, slight uphill - have people been walking back up?

On a related note, anyone tried the ski safari?

https://www.matterhornparadise.ch/en/Experience/Top-Experiences/Matterhorn-ski-safari

A 12.5km vert day which goes back to Zermatt via Bontadini. I suppose one could always go back the other way but nice to do it as it was meant to be.
ski holidays
Hi.

A group of four of us (two couples) are looking at a bonus trip at Easter and Cervinia is currently high on the list of possibilities along with La Plagne and VDI.

I’ve skied VDI/Tignes this year in previous years but never skied in Italy so Cervinia is appealing as is the lure of seeing the Matterhorn!

Our group is 2 intermediates, 1 advanced and 1 beginner (1 week).

I have no real knowledge of Cervinia but from some research it seems to suggest it’s ok for beginners and on paper would suit our group as well as being high up to help with being ‘snow sure’ coke Easter - acknowledging that this season to date hasn’t been great re depths and that Easter is a long way out so impossible to predict. Does this seem to stack up to those with knowledge of the area?

2 of our accommodation options are Sertorelli sport hotel and Valtur cristallo. Has anyone any experience of these?

Thanks in advance of any advice and assistance.
ski holidays
If the link is open all week then IMHO Cervinia/Zermatt > La Plagne. Sadly due to the high altitude and likelyhood of wind closing the link then it can’t always be guaranteed. I’ve spent two weeks there and the first week the link was only open for about 8 hours total across the whole week, the second time it was open the entire week. Very luck of the draw.
snow report
@Raptor24, thanks. The draw of a new resort and country to ski in is quite strong. I think we.be decided on Cervinia, just need to sort a few practicalities and get something booked. Then fingers crossed the link is open for a few days.
snow report
Don’t misunderstand me, I love Italy and would always choose to ski there over France these days, primarily for financial reasons (I uttterly resent paying €13 for a pint up the mountain) but also the food tends to be better, in short I love Cervinia.

My experience was also fine, the first week I was there my 13 year old son was on his second full week and wasn’t quite up to long trips to Zermatt anyway, the one day we did go over we had to get back super quick and he roughed it out on the T bars back to Plateau Road in a howling gale and blizzard prior to the link being closed. By the time went back he was on his 4th week, aged 15 and well up for big days covering huge distances so it worked fine. Just trying to highlight the risk element really.
snow report
Good for beginners and intermediates, less for experts I'd suggest. A good choice for Easter as snow sure. You would hope that winds would not be a problem at that time of year (who knows though?). No experience of those hotels, stayed in Edelweiss which was cheap and cheerful, great value, had reasonable wellness, excellent value half board, Italian friendliness, about a ten minute walk to lift or the run ski bus.
snow report
Thanks both. It does seem to fit the bill for our small group. Fairly snow sure for time of year, somewhere for the beginner to progress and enough to keep the others occupied. Me and my partner have had a week in VDI/T so this is likely to be a bit more chilled and long lunches as things soften. Appreciate the feedback. Hopefully it works out and we can get sorted.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy