Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas skiing from Geneva airport

Poster: A snowHead
Hi - we've booked flights to Geneva on 24-Dec for a weeks skiing but struggling to nail down a resort / accommodation. We are 2 families, 8 people in total (2 adults / 2 kids per family) and ideally looking for a self catered (or catered) chalet. Booked flights to Geneva due to convinience of being able to fly from Bournemouth airport but aware that the higher French resorts are a bit of a trek from Geneva. We're very familiar to the likes of Les Gets / Samoens / Les Carroz but worry about the snow over Christmas. Do we really have to get down to VT or Tignes etc or is is possible to get a nice village which is likely to have good snow closer to Geneva....? Any advice much appreciated!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@martindobson, we have booked this place from 16th for 1 week - taking advantage of kids getting full week off before Christmas and Geneva flights out of Bournemouth

https://www.sunweb.co.uk/ski/france/le-grand-massif/flaine/residence-les-terrasses-deos?Participants%5B0%5D%5B0%5D=1989-05-17&Participants%5B0%5D%5B1%5D=1989-05-17&Participants%5B0%5D%5B2%5D=2006-08-20&Participants%5B0%5D%5B3%5D=2009-09-20&Duration%5B0%5D=8&Mealplan=LG&Month=2022-12-01&TransportType=SelfDrive&Allocation=2

Really hoping it works out on snow but skiing is upto 2400 and staying 1600 so should be OK with a bit of luck
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
24 Dec is Christmas week, the first of two of the busier weeks in the season. Ski areas will have snow cannoned (energy crisis not withstanding) to make sure links are open as much as possible.

Most stations that are at 1300+ will be skiable, even if it's artificial snow.

The main thing is having access to plenty of terrain above 2000m because IME (skied most of the last 20 years at Christmas) if it's a poor year or temps a bit high that's a vague cut off for decent snow. That said I also like to have access to tree skiing. It can be wintry/bleak and tree lined slopes then become your friend.

Never skied Les Gets / Samoens / Les Carroz so don't know specifics in regard of those.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If snow quality is important to you the extra time to get to one of the higher resorts is worthwhile. Just an extra hour or so on your first and last days could find you snow on your doorstep. I'd much prefer to do that extra time on day 1 rather than have to drag everybody up lifts every day from somewhere lower down. I definitely wouldn't stay anywhere below 1600.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@martindobson,
If you are not doing it last minute (and I wouldn't advise that at Xmas) play safe & go high. Val D'Isere or Zermatt perhaps for that Christmasy village feel.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Switzerland? Verbier if you can afford it, or a satellite like La Tzoumaz or Nendaz for something cheaper but on the same pistes. A quick look at the local 4vallées4saisons website shows chalets in La Tzoumaz your size that week ranging from €3,500-€8,500. Might be worth taking a look. La Tzoumaz ia accessible by train/télépherique/PostBus but realistically, only for flights arriving before 13:30 ish. After that, you'd probably have to organise a transfer from Martigny or Riddes. And for your numbers, a minibus hire may work out cheaper than 8 return tickets anyway. La Tzoumaz is at 1500m and the peak of the 4 Vallées is at 3,300m with most of the pistes sitting around the 2,200m ±500m range. Nendaz is somewhat larger than La Tzoumaz and now has a new fast gondola connecting it to the main 4 Vallees pistes.

But if you can afford Zermatt then you can certainly afford Verbier. And both are readily accessible by train from inside GVA, with Verbier being somewhat nearer in journey time. 1h45m by road (once you've gone to the car hire, queued, got your keys, shuttled to the pickup, and driven off) and typically 3h or so by public transport.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 2-09-22 9:03; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Here’s an Airbnb right in the centre of Verbier for £4400 for 8. Looks a bit old fashioned but excellent 5* ratings
https://abnb.me/q2cYPGfAWsb
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Many thanks for all the quick replies...definitely some food for thought here. Whilst Switzerland (and in particular La Tzoumaz now I have done a bit of research on the place) is appealing what hold holds me back is the price of everyday things such as food and drinks etc given we will be self catered. Fully appreciate France is not exactly cheap - what ski resort is... - but feel somewhere in France will be our best bet overall.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well, we've come back from just under a month in France/Switzerland and I'd say that the grocery and drinks prices there were on a par with the UK, if not less, in some cases. When we go to CH we usually do a bulk shop in France en route at a hypermarket or supermarket, or in the valley at a Migros, Co-op or Denner. After that, we'll pick and choose but I'd say staples are on a par with home. Yes, meat is more expensive, but even then, that's because in CH meat tends to be quality cuts. As with any travel abroad, it's wise to check prices before going into a bar or restaurant, and in CH you can get caught out as the cues aren't always the same as in the UK. I'd say we didn't spend any more on groceries than if we'd been in the UK, perhaps less, and the price of a beer up the mountain was on a par with a trendy/touristy/clubbing bar in Brighton.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 2-09-22 11:20; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
MOST years MOST ski resorts will be open and have snow at Christmas.

I've skiied the first week in Morzine a few times (generally week before Christmas week) and only 2016 has been bad. This year there was more snow for the start of the season/Christmas than I think we saw the rest of the season.

If you're looking at the PdS then to be 'snow sure' look at Avoriaz rather than Morzine/Les Gets - but while it's not bad for a purpose built, mountain top resort it doesn't have the same feel as a real village. If you want the village feel I'd probably look at central-ish Morzine - because if it does turn out you've offended the snow gods you can catch the free bus to Prodains and get up to Avoriaz (and central-ish Morzine so you're catching and empty bus from the first stop). Like I said you probably won't need to do that, but an easier back-up plan than having to transfer over from Les Gets to Morzine to then transfer to Avoriaz.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mjit wrote:

If you're looking at the PdS then to be 'snow sure' look at Avoriaz rather than Morzine/Les Gets - but while it's not bad for a purpose built, mountain top resort it doesn't have the same feel as a real village.

As is so often the case, people seem to forget that Morgins is equally accessible, and does indeed have a true Alpine feel. Christmas is pretty snow-sure, with the North-facing slopes back to the village pretty much guaranteed from December to late April, and the area from there round to les Crosets, thence Avoriaz, all snow cannoned from a high-level reservoir allowing operation in relatively high ambient temperatures.

Sadly I can't offer accommodation for that week, as our two large apartments are already booked out, but for reference we could have housed 8 people in two apartments from under chf3500, going up to closer to 4500 if you wanted both the larger ones, sleeping up to 13 people.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Chaletbeauroc, look, can you stop punting a village that allow(ed) a restaurant to offer “turnip fondue”?

I am a big turnip (Scottish) fan and like fondue. But the combination is very wrong.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@under a new name, I can't disagree with you there, but then I don't really like turnip in the first place. Razz

I am a fan of unusual dipping things, like apples, pears, potatoes, almost any palatable veg, TBH, in fondue. One I haven't done for ages uses cider, a couple of West Country cheeses (inc. Shropshire blue, IIRC, so west-ish) and apples to dip. Scrummy.

On the subject of shopping, one of our big advantages here is the proximity of a decent-sized Intermarché ten minutes away in Châtel. The local shops in the village here are good, but expensive even by normal Swiss prices, so we generally warn people in advance.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Chaletbeauroc, “cider, a couple of West Country cheeses (inc. Shropshire blue, IIRC, so west-ish) and apples to dip”

Oh very nice like the sound of that!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
West Country cheeses (inc. Shropshire blue, IIRC, so west-ish) and apples to dip. Scrummy.

West Country and Shropshire in the same sentence, now that's a new one on me! Laughing Laughing
latest report
@Chaletbeauroc, nothing against Morgins, just as I'm normally in Morzine it's on the 'wrong' side of the PdS for me so usually more forcused on getting back to the 'right' side of town when doing a circuit than stopping and looking around.

I'd guess Chatel's similar for snow (just down the same valley and only 150m lower) but likely cheaper without the Swiss flag? Again never hung about there too much and just seems to be houses. I assume there's some bars and restaurants somewhere Smile
ski holidays
@Mjit, In fact accommodation costs are pretty much on a par between Châtel and Morgins. There's little in the way of hotels and b&b here, so apartments are the way to go. We're slowly building up our business towards the upper half of the price bracket, given that many apartments are just second homes let out via an agency, and not all at a particularly high standard.

The main cost difference is food, and eating out is indeed very expensive, which is why we've focused on good kitchen facilities on each of our apartments. Many of our guests drive and arrive with pretty much all their provisions for their stay, but as previously discussed shopping across the border helps keep the costs down.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 2-09-22 8:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
book accom late, wait and see ... snow cab be a bit variable ... hoping for not a repeat of last season ... xmas fine , rest of season not so much
snow report
under a new name wrote:
book accom late, wait and see ... snow cab be a bit variable ... hoping for not a repeat of last season ... xmas fine , rest of season not so much

Book late for Xmas week? Are you mad. It’s already almost full over here
latest report
@BobinCH, never that busy for us ... new year on the other hand ...
ski holidays
I wouldn't leave booking for Christmas late - even if you found the right accommodation at the last moment you might find it impossible to book ski schools.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@Chaletbeauroc, look, can you stop punting a village that allow(ed) a restaurant to offer “turnip fondue”?

At the same time, the restaurant owned by the parents of 2 time World Cup GS Champion Joel Gaspoz used to do the best frogs legs in the whole of Valais, so it's not a complete culinary wilderness. Although the La Foilleuse Restaurant is very poor now as its trying to be too many things for too many people, and consequently is meh. Strip it back to a simple bar / resto again.
I am also excited about the new Foilleuse lift - the plans look really cool, and the top station is going to be 50 meters east of the current top ( I think this is what is proposed), then it will bring the Savolaire bowl into play.
I wouldn't expect tons of snow on the Corbeau side necessarily though.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@BobinCH, never that busy for us ... new year on the other hand ...

Sorry but that’s terrible advice for a group of 8 people looking for a chalet at Xmas.
snow conditions
@BobinCH, you might be right. But seriously, xmas never books that early for us.

That said, chalet for 8? yeah, never too early to book that. Esp. if you want more than one WC.
ski holidays
<Morgins> - sorry for the thread drift, could be moved to a new one if mods feel it appropriate.

WindOfChange wrote:

At the same time, the restaurant owned by the parents of 2 time World Cup GS Champion Joel Gaspoz used to do the best frogs legs in the whole of Valais, so it's not a complete culinary wilderness.

Which one is that? And no, it's certainly not. My preferred venue is le Di Vins, which has a bit more than standard Swiss stuff, and well executed, although also with a dedicated fondu-stubli to keep the cheesiness away from the more delicate diners.

WindOfChange wrote:
Although the La Foilleuse Restaurant is very poor now as its trying to be too many things for too many people, and consequently is meh. Strip it back to a simple bar / resto again.

Sadly, this is our experience as well. Now known as Là Ô, has had an incredibly limited menu on the couple of occasions we've eaten there in the last couple of seasons, not been impressed.

WindOfChange wrote:

I am also excited about the new Foilleuse lift - the plans look really cool, and the top station is going to be 50 meters east of the current top ( I think this is what is proposed), then it will bring the Savolaire bowl into play.

I'm sure the new lift will be a PR success, although TBH it's very rare that the existing antiquated chairlift has too much of a queue. Not sure why it would make any difference to access to the Savolaire area, which is already accessible for ski-touring and snowshoe trails, but has no pistes, and would be an unlikely candidate.

WindOfChange wrote:

I wouldn't expect tons of snow on the Corbeau side necessarily though.

Well no, it's rare that we can ski back to the village that way before Christmas, but the chairlift runs (up and down) as early possible, dependent not on the village piste but the connecting ones to and from the Chalet Neuf area. Usually keeps the connections going until the end of March or so.
snow conditions
Thanks all - appreciate all the comments (even the ones about turnip fondue!).
My conclusions are:
- I'm sticking with France over Switzerland (I know France much better and still concerned by costs of food, drink etc in Switzerland)
- I'm booking asap and not waiting to see where the snow is nearer the time
- Rather than head for the highest resorts completely lacking in character and miserable if snowing or windy such as VT, I am going to go for a middle ground altitude resort and take my chances with the snow levels with the piece of mind that the kids won't freeze and there'll be some tree lining if the wind does pick up or it snows hard
snow conditions
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
Not sure why it would make any difference to access to the Savolaire area, which is already accessible for ski-touring and snowshoe trails, but has no pistes, and would be an unlikely candidate.

I don't go to Morgins for the pistes, its for the back of the Pt de l'Au bowl where the Defago is, for the gap in the rocks leading to the mini bowl where the old Combes drag used to be and riding through the forest (no signs in that bit saying you can't do it yet), its for the Savolaire and for riding the gulleys in Les Crosets. The difference it would make for me is as shorter walk with my board to get to the Savolaire pitch.

The Gaspoz resto, sadly is no more. It had its salad days in the mid 80's, and was where the ice rink is now. So near La Pive. There used to be an outside ice rink, which was a 1/2 sited football pitch covered in ice that was watered daily and didn't have any surround. The resto I think it began with a B - maybe Bergerie was sat proudly atop the little family piste that ran down between the Pre Vert and the Main Road.

The place you like "Di Vins" actually used to be called le Savolaire, and was owned by Joel Rey Mehmet, who could ski the ass off Rolf Sigg back in the day. I think he placed 3rd in the Derby de Chavanette in 1989. Which is a team schuss race down the Swiss wall, and required balls the size of a Zorb.
ski holidays
@WindOfChange, "Derby de Chavanette in 1989. Which is a team schuss race down the Swiss wall, and required balls the size of a Zorb."

That's quite a scary idea. But I don't recall it in '89? (My first season, although I went home a little early, round April 6 iirc).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, Pretty sure it was 89.
https://www.facebook.com/events/926735630681009/
I laughed when we saw the prize he won, which was a portable telly worth about 30 quid, for racing straight down the Wall Smile

To reply to the OP, Avoriaz is quite a good shout, even though its purpose built and 1800m, its a bit lower than VT, has tree-skiing, and is not as soulless.
ski holidays
@WindOfChange, not going to argue.

A chum won the Grands Montets derby a few years in a row … I think the top of the wall a bit steeper?
ski holidays
@under a new name, I think you need to be a special kind of person for these events.
snow conditions
@WindOfChange, he's a pisteur
ski holidays
@under a new name, 'nuff said Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy