Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canada

Poster: A snowHead
I’m off to Quebec, Canada in February 2023

What garments would you expect to wear at -30 degrees ?

Any particular makes ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’ve worn Aldi pants in minus 30 in Banff a couple of times. They were fine.
Three layers is enough for upper body I find. A thermal, normal mid layer and whatever insulated jacket you have (I’ve had expensive brands and cheap brands and the difference as far as keeping me warm was not noticeable).It’s my toes and fingers that get cold. I find merino inner gloves and a good mitten to work best for cold fingers.
Don’t forget to go in for regular hot chocolates to warm up.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Liners and mittens, face mask, layers. Jackets with wrist gaiters. Good neck warmer. Little hotties
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Love my Rab down pants.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
T shirt and shorts, I ain't going out if it's -30!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mountain restaurant is the way to keep warm at -30. Or better still village restaurant.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They may close the lifts on you, if you mean skiing.

I'm not sure I've ridden in stuff quite that cold in the west, but it often gets below minus 20. Snow gets squeaky and slow; correct wax helps a bit bit it does make it seriously less fun the colder it gets. You just don't want to hang around outside doing nothing; don't have any exposed skin; stick an extra layer on; wiggle your toes all the time or use boot heaters. Do a run, then go inside to warm up, repeat. If you're keen, then the hand warmers in the bogs will speed up the warming process.

For walking around town... well if you need to catch a bus or train, learn the precise time it picks up and get there precisely 30 seconds before it arrives. Don't go out without a head covering. Don't go out just in jeans.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DJL wrote:
Mountain restaurant is the way to keep warm at -30. Or better still village restaurant.

+1
A long hot choccy stop and do short turns all the way there.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When I've skied in those sorts of temps in Canada, I wear a balaclava and take a spare (so you can change, as they get damp), and spare buffs are always handy. You'll be fine when you're skiing but it's when you're on ski lifts or standing around that you'll start to chill fast. Decent socks and decent gloves / mittens are essential. I also have Boot Gloves which make a huge difference. I generally have 3 thin layers under my jacket (base, mid, fleece), really good layering is key and definitely no cotton, you need really good wicking fabrics.
At those temps, we always have extra warm up stops in the restaurants - you need to get inside before you feel really cold or its hard to warm up.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just don't do -30c if you're not cold-forged in that sort of climate. It really isn't a joke (with wind chill added) and no degree of wrapping up can really make it pleasant rather than a game of survival.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boot Gloves ? Any particular brand

Heating the boots ? Any recommendations
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh, and if you need calories after burning them off to stay warm then be sure to try Quebec's winter snack speciality Poutine! Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

winter snack speciality Poutine!

Also a ‘snack’ in France, allegedly. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’d hesitate to suggest buying any cold weather gear from warm climate.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abc wrote:
I’d hesitate to suggest buying any cold weather gear from warm climate.
This.

Take what you have, then buy the stuff the locals use from a town (not a resort) and it's all good. "SNow and Rock" shop assistants likely have no idea what conditions you're facing, they have to import small quantities of gear at high prices, and you can't take it back if it's inappropriate/ wrong / breaks on day one etc.
snow conditions
Quote:

Skijonuk

Boot Gloves ? Any particular brand

@Skijonuk Ours are DryGuy - bought them in Canada, not sure where you'd get them from over here
latest report
@Skijonuk, why do you think it will be that cold? NOAA suggests avg lows overnight (!) round -18 …

Skied Whistler in -18 - wanted extra gilet and chum told to take her earrings out (and general frostbite buddy watch)
snow report
“Wind chill” only really applies if you are skiing naked …
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@Skijonuk, why do you think it will be that cold? NOAA suggests avg lows overnight (!) round -18 …

Skied Whistler in -18 - wanted extra gilet and chum told to take her earrings out (and general frostbite buddy watch)

Whistler and Quebec are not in the same climate zone!

That said, the OP only use the country as his thread title, he deserves this. wink
ski holidays
philwig wrote:
Don't go out just in jeans.

Lol a lil too late for us. -26 in Banff and our jeans became ice trousers. Wasn't fun but the pub had a fireplace and warmed my nads nicely. Ain't doing that again.
snow report
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
Love my Rab down pants.

That beats loving your Rab pants down! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I ski in QC all the time. West Coast cold and East coast cold are two different animals.

Where are you planning on skiing? The QC cold is no joke if you are not used to it. If you are really concerned by heated underlayers.

#1 recommendation, get heated socks, although they can bunch and be a PIA. Otherwise, absolutely add heaters to your boots. I don't ski without them any longer.
snow conditions
Coldest I've skied at was -35 in Jasper. So cold that they weren't selling tickets, on the basis that most folk would do one run and then give up and go home.

Yes, one run, maybe two, was the maximum between warm-ups in the lodge, but in fact the limiting factor wasn't getting cold in itself, but goggles freezing over. No matter how hard we tried it was impossible to completely stop your breath from condensing on them, and even taking gloves off to clean them with warm fingers was useless, as they'd refreeze within a fraction of a second.

ISTR I was wearing a one-piece suit that day (this was back in the '90s) with fleece trousers under, and a fleece and loose mountain jacket over the top as well as under-layers. Hands and toes certainly felt the cold, but would onlt really have forced the stops if we'd been carrying multiple pairs of goggles to stay out for longer.

Was talking to one of the waitresses in the top lodge who said she'd spoken to her friend at the base lift who'd had to send at least a dozen people home already (before lunchtime) as they were showing the signs of frostnip on their faces. As is nearly always the case, sufferers don't appreciate the severity of this and needed to be forbidden from going back up, for their own good.

So yeah, absolutely no exposed skin is essential. And proper woolly hats covering ears as well - helmets make it so difficult to completely cover every square cm - if you want to be able to move your neck, that is. snowHead
ski holidays
We went to LL many years ago it was -42 so cold we managed a walk of about 10 mins . I was wearing thermals, a fleece a 1 piece suit and a pair of ski pants and a ski jacket, 2x turtle fur gloves and mittens. I looked like the Michelin woman!
We sat in the hotel after the walk and had cake and hot chocolate. We got in the car and found we had 50 pence tyres! We were 5 miles into the journey back to banff before the tyres resumed their circular shape. Its not normally that bad ! We were wearing uk ski gear, we still ski in Canada, but now have Canadian ski gloves for cold days.
snow report
I was in Fernie last year (january) and I was wearing two thermal layers, a merino wool t shirt, a cashmere rollneck jumper, two down jackets and an outer layer. Toasty on the runs, just enough on the chair lifts. Definitely get neoprene boot covers. The temperature was -35 during the day, down to -45 during the night. As they say, there are no impossible conditions, only inappropriate kit.
ski holidays
I was in Sunshine, January probably 5 or 6 years ago, -43 inc windchill. Base layer, fleece, down padded outer jacket, standard european thin (40 or 60g) insulated trousers, no leggings, Big insulated over gloves and a buff. Didn't feel too bad to me. The only thing I didn't like was my beard coagulating into weird ice dreadlocks. Out all day, with only a marginal increase in coffee stops.
latest report
This thread has turned into a contest of “what’s the coldest I’ve skied” Toofy Grin
ski holidays
It has a bit, but then it started with ,”what should I wear at -30?”.

And incidentally, what is the coldest you’ve skied………
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rogg wrote:
And incidentally, what is the coldest you’ve skied………

When it gets to be 10F, it’s perfect to start cross country ski. Down to about -15F (or-20? Can’t recall) I’ve skied.

Because I prioritize nordic over alpine, so I don’t downhill ski when it’s below 10F. Toofy Grin I never have to worry about staying warm sitting on a chair at -10F. I would be skating and I’ll be plenty warm enough in a single layer jacket even at -10F!!! What boot glove? Laughing Laughing

Still, I don’t ski to proof anything. I ski only for fun. So when it gets to -20F, the snow tend to be hard and not too fun to ski on. I don’t bother any more. I have the luxury of skiing at least 20-30 days a season. So I get to be choosy on what condition to ski on. Below -20 isn’t it.
ski holidays
I wouldn't go to a ski area that regularly got down to those temps. Surely there are better options outside of Europe where you're not wrapping up like an onion and longing for the chair lift to end only so you can race down for a warm up break
snow conditions
rogg wrote:
I was in Sunshine, January probably 5 or 6 years ago, -43 inc windchill.

Windchill doesn't count. It's often quoted, particularly in the US, to try to take wind effect into account, but when you're skiing you're generating much more wind than the ambient conditions anyway, so the only meaningful comparator is actual air temperature.

@abc, I do hope you realise that everyone else in this thread is talking about temperatures in Celsius.
ski holidays
@Chaletbeauroc, it does count if your touring or climbing though
snow report
Mother hucker wrote:
I wouldn't go to a ski area that regularly got down to those temps. Surely there are better options outside of Europe where you're not wrapping up like an onion and longing for the chair lift to end only so you can race down for a warm up break
Most people visiting Canada for skiing (that's not the stated case here) would likely go to the left hand bit, because there's more snow there. However if I happened to be in Quebec I'd certainly ride there.

Google shows the actual temperatures. For example last season in February @Tremblant:
https://www.accuweather.com/en/ca/mont-tremblant/j8e/february-weather/55881?year=2021

You have two or three days of squeaky snow that month.
My concern with Quebec wouldn't be the temperature at all which as described is easy to manage.
It's more that the risk of bulletproof snow => it's going to be predominantly piste and possibly very hard piste.
snow conditions
“Very hard snow” is an understatement.
snow report
Mother hucker wrote:
@Chaletbeauroc, it does count if your touring or climbing though

Humidity also matters. “Wet cold” sips through far worse than just cold (“dry cold”).

Further, if the sun is out, it warms you up. But if it’s cloudy, it feels colder.

The most miserable experience is when the chair happen to stop under the snow gun! Even if it’s just 30 seconds to sort out a fallen beginners at the loading station, it’ll be the longest 30 seconds you’ll remember for the rest of the season!
snow conditions
sorry - double post

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 22-09-22 23:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
rogg wrote:

Windchill doesn't count. It's often quoted, particularly in the US, to try to take wind effect into account, but when you're skiing you're generating much more wind than the ambient conditions anyway, so the only meaningful comparator is actual air temperature.

@abc, I do hope you realise that everyone else in this thread is talking about temperatures in Celsius.

According to the liftie it counts. He was telling me that if it reached -45c including windchill that he had to close the lift. I’m sure you could have told him that it really didn’t matter though.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 23-09-22 16:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
rogg wrote:
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
rogg wrote:

According to the liftie it counts. He was telling me that if it reached -45c including windchill that he had to close the lift. I’m sure you could have told him that it really didn’t matter though.

Thats due to the length of time it takes to evacuate a stopped lift - at those temps including windchill, you wouldnt be very happy.
snow report
Anyone that says windchill doesn’t count has never been blown backwards, uphill.
snow conditions
Bunch of frikkin lightweights.
Try skiing on Hoth, where even the Tontons don’t last the night!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy