Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice for last-minute booking for a December trip

Poster: A snowHead
Hi snowheads!

My friend and I are planning on a skiing trip this December 10-17. We're flexible on basically everything (as long as it's in Europe). Based in London. Just us two.

Thinking it's best to simply follow the snow and book super last minute seeing as it's such an early trip and we're so flexible. With that in mind - does anyone have any experience/tips on doing this?

- How late should we leave it?
- Will there be good last minute package deals for that week?
- If not, we're happy to DIY it. Should we book flights now to either Innsbruck or Geneva and then book resort last minute?
- Are either of the above better options for 'hedging our bets' snow-wise that early in the season?

Anecdotes and ideas very much welcome Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome @easyanae. Those more expert than I will be along shortly, but my immediate thought is that very few package operators will have offers for that week. So the idea of buying flights when they are cheap may appeal. You will find advocates here for both France (or Swiss resorts near Geneva) and Austria, and they will no doubt have concrete suggestions.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@easyanae, welcome to SHs.

Have a look at this thread ... https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5002835#5002835

From London, you have bags of flight choices. But booking flights now a good plan. Best DIY, not many operators set up to start that early. Although, it's not that early.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@easyanae, book flights when they are cheap and leave the rest until the week before
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@easyanae,
UK students tend to go that week. If you enjoy boozy partying & casual sex go wherever they're going this year. If not you'll know where to avoid.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Kenzie,where do o sign up?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Def. agree with the recommendation of booking flights now and zeroing in on the resort nearer the time.

We have done Soelden, Hintertux, Tignes and Val D in December and really enjoyed it.

Ischgl and the Arlberg region also tends to be ooen from late November/early December.

Happy planning Madeye-Smiley

P.S. the PSB or PIPAU might also be an option snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There is a case for leaving the flight booking to the last minute too. It's very low season so I doubt flight prices will rise that high, and there's the possibility that only one side* of the alps will have much snow, and it would be best not to have flown to the wrong side.

I've often gone the Christmas week or the week before, and usually managed to get significant last-minute (booking less than a week before travel) discounts for British operators via an agent like Alpine Answers or Iglu. I would generally start looking a couple of weeks before travel, and check every couple of days for any discounts, and to get a view of how much was still available. Personally, I'd leave it as late as possible; before now I've not booked any accommodation till after landing / crossing the channel, though check if your insurance company are OK with that (some only cover you for accommodation booked before you leave home). It's worth checking how comfortable the person you're travelling with is with leaving things to the last minute; some people get a bit twitchy with uncertainty.

* Very generally, the main sides are France and West Switzerland, accessible from Geneva, and Austria and East Switzerland, accessible from Innsbruck. Italy tends to do best with weather from the South, which can happen, but is less usual
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
viv wrote:

* Very generally, the main sides are France and West Switzerland, accessible from Geneva, and Austria and East Switzerland, accessible from Innsbruck. Italy tends to do best with weather from the South, which can happen, but is less usual

You also have Arlberg and Engelberg / Andermatt from Zurich (or even Basel) and Southern Alps from Milan eg Cervinia.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
I have done Soelden, Hintertux, Tignes and Val D in December and really enjoyed it.
Ischgl and the Arlberg region also tends to be ooen from late November/early December.
You'll definitely have your pick of all the glaciers. Ultra-reliable Zermatt (linked to Cervinia) can also be added to that list.

Obviously depends on snow and early season openings, but I've also skied at Avoriaz, Obertauern, Obergurgl, Mayrhofen and Zillertal Arena in early to mid December.

In a normal winter, you should have a few places to pick from. Accommodation will not be an issue, as everywhere will be all but deserted at that time.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My good lady and I went to Arinsal, Andorra with Crystal 12-19 December 2021 for £315 each HB (flights, transfer, accommodation right by the lift, breakfast and evening meal)

Booked on Thursday night (9th), flew on Sunday (12th)

If you don't care where you go or who you go with, there are always last minute deals every week of the season with the big operators

PS

The conditions were excellent. slopes deserted
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mother hucker wrote:

Your local University ski club.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This thread has links relevant to Verbier and another thread about a December trip out there.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4859948&highlight=verbier#4859948
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kenzie wrote:
Mother hucker wrote:

Your local University ski club.

counts me out then, if I were a university type of person I'd have left there 25 years ago
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Really really useful info, thanks all. Appreciate the responses a lot.

Kenzie wrote:
@easyanae,
UK students tend to go that week. If you enjoy boozy partying & casual sex go wherever they're going this year. If not you'll know where to avoid.

Both great activities, ideally not with students though. Good to know, I wasn't aware of that - that probably crosses off places like Val T and the usual suspects.

viv wrote:
There is a case for leaving the flight booking to the last minute too. It's very low season so I doubt flight prices will rise that high, and there's the possibility that only one side* of the alps will have much snow, and it would be best not to have flown to the wrong side.

I've often gone the Christmas week or the week before, and usually managed to get significant last-minute (booking less than a week before travel) discounts for British operators via an agent like Alpine Answers or Iglu. I would generally start looking a couple of weeks before travel, and check every couple of days for any discounts, and to get a view of how much was still available. Personally, I'd leave it as late as possible; before now I've not booked any accommodation till after landing / crossing the channel, though check if your insurance company are OK with that (some only cover you for accommodation booked before you leave home). It's worth checking how comfortable the person you're travelling with is with leaving things to the last minute; some people get a bit twitchy with uncertainty.

This is also really helpful. I think for the sake of £50 (??) or so difference in flight prices, it might well be preferable to not accidentally lock ourselves into a trip to a side of the alps with not much snow, so may well hold off on flight bookings too.

Mike Pow wrote:
My good lady and I went to Arinsal, Andorra with Crystal 12-19 December 2021 for £315 each HB (flights, transfer, accommodation right by the lift, breakfast and evening meal)

Booked on Thursday night (9th), flew on Sunday (12th)

If you don't care where you go or who you go with, there are always last minute deals every week of the season with the big operators

PS

The conditions were excellent. slopes deserted

Great to know such deals exist! I wasn't really sure if that was still a thing.
snow report
@easyanae, Baqueira Beret, also in the Pyreenes. Fly to Toulouse (or Barcelona, further away).
https://www.baqueira.es/en
snow report
Book last minute!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy