Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Early December Alps resorts?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,
I'm looking to book our first skiing trip this December to the Alps.

We're mostly blue some red level, myself and my 2 children.

Only issue is the only dates we can do are 10th to 17th December.

Could I get some recommendations of resorts for that time of year for a first trip.

I'm guessing I don't need to be worried about altitude sickness even as 2000M?

Many Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome..

That's early, so resorts with glaciers.... and it'll have to be a DIY as its too early for packages.

Next check when the resort opens and most of all how much of it is open....

Tignes
Cervinia
Zermatt
Saas fe
Solden
Obertauren not glacial but opens early
Hintertux

To name but a few
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi @dominichayhoe, Welcome to Snowheads.

You didnt say how old your children were.
But have a great time ..
We are still praying for rain here and then we'll be praying for Snow in November.
Only the highest resorts will open in December.

I'd wait a bit and see how the weather shapes up this winter, we have been lucky enough to have good conditions in early December in the French Alps for the past few years, and I hope it stays that way.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gaz_H wrote:
Welcome..

That's early, so resorts with glaciers.... and it'll have to be a DIY as its too early for packages.

Tignes
Cervinia
Zermatt
Saas fe
Solden
Hintertux

To name but a few

You could add Val Thorens to that list as well
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kaprun/Kitzsteinhorn and Ischgl is good bets also.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sölden and Ischgl is good bets also.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have skied on Obergurgl in Nov so early Dec will likely have something open. Solden with two glaciers on your door step.

Zillertal will have several resorts open and whilst each may only be partially open a few days in each be fine. Plus Hintertux will have 60km open by then (you need clear weather though).

Dolomites (sella Ronda) is famous for getting km open early. No need for a glacier but could be white perfect pistes through green fields.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@dominichayhoe, I've not been, but it is a resort that I am keen to visit - Baquiera/Beret in the Spanish Pyrenees. Their website says 'If weather conditions permit, it will open on 25 November 2022 and the last day will be 10 April 2023.' https://www.baqueira.es
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@dominichayhoe, Oh, and I was surprised by how much the altitude affected me in Val Thorens (2,300m). I don't think you would get 'altitude sickness' but you may find yourself unexpectedly breathless ...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The most reliable place is Ischgl, The resort opens in late November and has plenty of easy skiing at altitude. There is a risk of bad weather but that is true of anywhere open early season. It is a better option than any of the glaciers.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Welcome to Snowheads, @dominichayhoe. Might be best to book flights to a suitable airport (as they will only go up in price) and then decide where to go (and how to get there from the airport) when you have an idea of snow cover. Presumably you've all skied before, if not in the Alps?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
you've got loads of options, pick now if you want FR/CH or AT. Book flights to Geneva or innsbruck/Munich follow the snow
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks very much for all the replies everyone. Great advice.

Seems like Austria/Ischgul/Solden is the way to go.

@munich_irish why are the glaciers a lower priority? I've obviously never skied on one before.

My children will be 14 and 12. They have no fear like most children and we skated for years before skiing so they're already on the ramps.

Im taking my time progressing, but after around 20 sessions so far from videos I've posted, I've been told by others who've skied far more that it's pretty impressive after such a short time.

We have another 4 day trip to Landgraaf again October half term too.

Can't wait!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@dominichayhoe, The problem with glaciers, especially in mid winter, is that they are very unpleasant places in bad weather and generally the amount of skiing is pretty limited. With Ischgl you get a full skiing area though not all of it will be open before Christmas and it also is not the best place in poor weather (not much skiing amongst the trees). There are a number of gondolas from the village up to the main area at just over 2000m which has a good selection of runs from the border ridge which is just under 3000m. Sölden / Obergurgl is another good option. Given your dates there is going to be an element of luck with the weather & conditions, it will be low season so you should be able to wait to see how things are before booking.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dominichayhoe wrote:

Im taking my time progressing, but after around 20 sessions so far from videos I've posted, I've been told by others who've skied far more that it's pretty impressive after such a short time.

pretty much everyone these days are super polite and avoid telling hard truth, so basically you can trust no one but yourself, when it comes to your skills.
snow conditions
Gaz_H wrote:
Welcome..

Tignes
Cervinia
Zermatt
Saas fe
Solden
Hintertux

To name but a few

There will be TO packages available that early, just not all the TOs. I would recommend Val D'Isere, with Steve Angus as your ski instructor.
snow report
Quote:
Pretty much everyone these days are super polite and avoid telling hard truth, so basically you can trust no one but yourself, when it comes to your skills.
IMO, most skiers would say nothing at all or - at most - perhaps an encouraging 'You're doing great for X days or weeks on snow' rather than pretending to someone that they were better than they actually were...
ski holidays
@dominichayhoe, one question is where can you fly from, and where can you fly from from there?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy