Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pants stance or riding it wrong?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I spent most of the FamBash smashing around on a K2 Special Effects - a wide stubby 144 fishtail of a thing - and very nice it was too once the overnight freeze had worn off. But I couldn't help noticing my back knee was bagging in way more on it that it would do riding the same stance (+12/-9) when riding the Jones, and it got me thinking.

From my comfy armchair minds-eye I'm wondering that without the tail of the board there am I over-compensating and just riding the K2 lazy and wrong, or would it benefit from redoing my stance completely and going for a more aggressive stance (eg +21/0), maybe widening out too - it's not like I'm going to ride the thing switch. Anyone else riding a short fishtail? How did you tweak your riding or setup to accommodate?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have a 144 K2 Cool Bean which is great fun in powder, just so surfy! I generally ride +21, +6 and suspect my back knee is pretty bent but that's how surfers ride so I don't stress it, it's nice to be loose and slashy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It was good fun in the VT Easter slushfest
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The only "fish tail" I've ridden I think is the Burton Fish, some model years of which have little cut outs in the tail.
I felt that in boards like that, a cut in the tail is mostly cosmetic; I can't really feel it at all.
They have no tail anyway, so trying to soften it by cutting a section out of the middle of it makes little sense to me.
Riding a Fish, it's more about sinking the tail than flexing it. Unless you're riding hardpack, in which case you're not
loading the tail to control speed that way anyway.

I think that one reason the Fish is easy in powder is that it doesn't have a tail which needs to have a flex balanced
for the rider's weight and a rider able to use it.

The K2 board looks short and fat - like the Burton "skipjack" from a few seasons back.

At my weight (62Kgs) I don't like the teeny Burton boards like the Nug etc. From memory they feel sluggish to me.
My Hometown Hero is 148, and for me that's just perfect for me in powder[1], which it rips along with the hardpack.

Riding a wide board in hardpack, I most definitely need my toes/ heels to be at the edge, so that would be what I'd set my angles by.
You'd know if that was a problem though.

Pretty much all powder boards are directional, usually tapered, and generally with set-back camber these days. The "true twin"
powder boards (eg Lib tech stuff) I've ridden all need set-back dialling in.... so they're not really "twin" when used in powder anyway.

---
[1] Not "fresh snow", which is seldom powder. Powder deep enough that you're not riding hardpack under it.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 16-05-22 11:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Aren't these boards designed to be ridden in your usual stance so they in effect just ride like a longer board? Something to do with surface area I understand.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I ride my twin-tip (or approximately so) boards with a 15/-15 duck stance. For my shapey boards (Burton Skeleton Key, Amplid Souly Grail, got an old Burton Fish lying around as well) I do tend to tweak it forward slightly, but even then, just 18/-9 or thereabouts.

Unless you're a really tiny person, 144 is getting into stupid-short territory in my opinion (for adult males, I'm sure it fits @leggyblonde, just fine!). So weird things are going to happen.

As a big (5'11", 85kg) guy with small (UK7.5) feet, the short-wide board thing does nothing for me personally. The Souly Grail is an amazing board, but at 260 waist width I am super, super sensitive to setup on it. Heel-toe centering needs to be spot-on.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@stevomcd, I'm a 185cm, 75ish kg, size 44 feet adult male! Slap bang in the middle of the 144 weight range, and yes it doesn't ride "normally" like my 156 Hovercraft but it is great fun. I also like short and fat surfboards so maybe that has something to do with why I like it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When I saw the thread title "Pants stance" I thought this was going to be about how low and saggy snowbarders should wear their pants.... wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Alastair Pink, we can cover that elsewhere... or partially cover, depending on the lowness of the pants.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Richard_Sideways, Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy