Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan board reccomendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Any suggestions?

Unfortunately snapped my board today - yes optimistic which was going to be having a Japan trip with me.

Totally the wrong time of year for me to be board shopping - end of season and I’m 93kg wet with us12 feet so that starts narrowing down choices. Can’t get a new optimistic in 161 before I go. In Nz so new stock doesn’t show up until next may.

Going with the other half so I’m looking for something turny so I can throw down a lot of carves on the groom, otherwise I’ll be waiting at lifts all day for her to catch up. All my other boards are fast straight line kind of things.

Obviously as well as being turny it needs to float like a champ in low angle deep powder.

I can get a korua pencil or dart in 161. That’s on the list. Have never ridden one but they look pretty, just not sure it’s enough board for me. Lots of burton, k2 and Ride around but I know nothing about their boards. I can get a discounted deal on amplid. Know nothing about them either and with shipping to Nz it would probably be spendy but they look cool Happy

I’ve got a hovercraft but that’s a bit shagged from a heli landing on it but it will do if needs be but while it’s awesome in powder it’s not my favourite groomer ride.

Would love some suggestions - big size turny and floaty.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had a Hovercraft when I went over a few years back and it was great o/p, but for me not so great on.

I've changed to a Rome Ravine Select, nice and carvey, and good off piste, though only tried in 'euro-freshies'. A good allrounder I think.

As usual I bought in the end of season sale - 40% off RRP. Did the same with the hovercraft and sold it 'as new' for what I paid for it, though it did cost me €25 to ship it.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I picked up a K2 Special Effects last year and had a lot of fun with it in the Easter slush at VT, and it worked pretty well in most conditions apart from maybe the early morning icy stuff when I'd have preferred the better edge bite of the Flagship. Its short and wide with a big tail cutout - basically the older Cool Bean with the new 3D shaping on the nose, but something like that could work in the treeline deep stuff you get in Japan.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Taking a solution with me as well because I’ve got a few days touring booked in, it’s a 169w so might be a bit of a handful for cruising around inbounds but it’s a weapon in icy conditions.

Looks like the rome and k2 are available in Nz and oz so I’ll have a look at those. Cheers
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A161 GNU Riders Choice is fun
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Id go with the Dart very likely 164cm lenght ....reasons are .....the exact ones you asked for .

To get runout on low angle in 40-60cm plus deep blower ...thats all about the right wax and surface area squared
for float.

Versatality on piste and pow .
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I ride a lot of Burton, but their designs have been getting shorter over the last few years. Back in the day they made the Burton Stellar specifically for the Japanese market. I rode one in really big / high slide risk conditions, and it was the machine for that job. I've not seen anything like that since then. I'd look elsewhere. Wiegele is mostly Burton, some Capita.

You can always go to Japan and look at what competent locals of similar weight are on. Or pull the web sites of Japanese cat/ heli operators and look see what they recommend, bearing in mind many of their customers will be novices or looking for something easy rather than sporting.

One of the Icelandic heli companies uses K2 but their snow / pitch combination is very different and they're mostly a day operator. I've not ridden one since the Eldo.

I'd rather have a Gentemstick or a Moss than something with Japanese focused marketing, assuming they cater for bigger people.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 7-10-22 17:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Amplid boards are the nuts by all acounts
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Was looking at an amplid creamer a couple of seasons ago and nearly went for it but covid cancelled my plans so I shelved it. Sounded like a great ride but it seems they don't make it anymore. Burton have too many boards now I don't know what's going on there anymore. Best to see what the kids are riding in Japan and choose then.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all Very Happy

Most of my Japanese mates who snowboard aren't 6'2" and built like a Sasquatch, so board choices get limited quickly for me Very Happy

Probably going to be a korua - can't get the right size in the K2 or Rome boards, amplid with shipping and taxes would be double the price. If I want something like a gentemstick that will have to be bought in Japan and not too keen on spending time shopping instead of riding.

just really need to decide between the pencil or the dart, or possibly the plus versions, but they are loads more money.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The kids in japan are probably about 50-60kg wet with smaller wider feet .

I had a 62 jap powder board with a nice shape it was really more like a 56 or 58 with one very long narrow nose over a foot long similar to a Prior Spearhead .....the flex pattern was just far to soft to be any sort of use or even a backup board so I sold it .

A versatile powder/piste board will need a suitable level of torsional flex to get down low when carving on piste .
Especially as it gets steeper hardpack.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
phil_w wrote:
I'd rather have a Gentemstick or a Moss than something with Japanese focused marketing, assuming they cater for bigger people.

I think the Gentemstick range is for smaller people, I'm (an athletic) 95kg and they only had one model/size that was suitable for my weight when I asked.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When it comes to snowboard shopping I would love to be a foot shorter and 25kg lighter Eh oh!

Pulled the trigger on a 164 pencil. Figured it would complement the hovercraft in the quiver and when the hovercraft gives out I can look for a specific pow board replacement. Sounds like it will go well in the deep stuff and tick the turny box.

Should have it next week so hopefully have time to take it out for a few turns before the end of the season here.

I will likely be riding it with phantom hard boots Eh oh!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Amplids are rad. My only gripe is that they're a little wide for my tiny feet, but not an issue for you.

Souly Grail would be ridiculously good for what you're after. Wee bit pricy though. Otherwise, take your pick from the Future Shapes range.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@stevomcd A souly grail shipped to Nz with import duties would be north of $2k. Double the price of a normal decent board. They look real nice - something to think about for next time I go to Europe.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy