Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2022 / 2023

Poster: A snowHead
@Layne, Ditto - we always drive between 12 and 2 as people just stop. Likewise we ski then if we can
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks everyone for your replies - appreciate it. I spoke to another friend yesterday and recommended lunches in villages rather on mountain also - much cheaper! Sure I'll partake in 1 or 2 on mountain as I love a pit stop if nothing else for a beer/hot choc. Any good recommendations for dinner in 2000 or 1950? R
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Richie_S wrote:
@riman8, for good value outside eating when the weather is good - Meli Snack in 1950 is a great lunch time food place. You can’t miss the place, it’s in the main square with pink signs! Good value hot dogs, chips, burgers, crepes waffles, pannini - the chicken kebab is particularly good. My kids love it.

There are a few picnic spots on the hill, so if it’s nice and warm this is a great option. Arpette ridge just right past the Carrelly chair, and top of Comborciere chair.

There are also a few snack huts dotted about - 2000 bowl below the Arcabulle chair, and side of the piste mid way up the bowl around off the side of the Plagnettes red. (Also accessible from the blue)

Thanks for sharing!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Owlette, best value place (we think!) on the mountain for lunchtime snack food and savoyard stuff is the Trois Saveurs at the top of the Peisey lift: Tiff (pronounced Teef) runs the place from the window, and can be good to get to know. If the weather is poor there is space inside. But, will be a queue between 12:30 and 1:30.

As per @Richie_S, Meli's in 1950 good range of 'fast food' - hot dogs, burgers, chips etc. Not what you'd call a restaurant, but popular with the MaccyD generation. The Wood Bear is also great after ski-school: but its quality and hence popularity can work against it, as it get very busy at times.

@riman8, 1950 and 2000 both have a good range of restaurants - 1950 has significantly improved over the past 2 years - but 2000 almost certainly has what you need from your descriptions. The main 'front' opposite the bowling alley has 2134 (maybe a bit more upmarket than you may want) the Savoie, and the Kilamanjaro which will suit your party I'm sure.

In 1950 we go for Vache Rouge or Savoyard, - and this year Luigi's and The Monkey Cafe have changed hands and are quite acceptable. Table de Lys is likely too posh, Brasserie1950 isn't bad but a it formal for evenings with children, and I've not tried personally, but Mazot is also seemingly an improvement ( again, under new ownership)

You can also hire (and buy the provisions for) a "hot stone" in 1950 from Gourmet Montagnard, to use in your apartment - which always goes well with the crew. (As long as you clean it before returning!)

And there's always the pre-roasted chicken in an insulated bag from the 1950 supermarket, so you can just cook the veg at home and serve like it was Sunday...

We're out on Saturday (train stikes willing) so will update with any different reviews next week.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Arctic Roll, Thanks! Will definitely check that out. Worth knowing about places all over as then we have options no matter whilch direction we go in.

Could I jump on and ask for evening recommendations in 1800 please? I imagine we'll eat in a lot, but possibly out once or twice.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Own up then. Who are the other 5 people gawping at the 2000 livecam alongside me?

Look at all that lovely snow!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I know how much you like a snowy picture this was view from apartment at midday today. Its still quite warm with sunny days forcast for rest of week but it should give them plenty to keep the pistes up for a while.

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
May have an opportunity to get to ARC2000 next week, what's the snow like? Looks good on the cameras but forecast looks like its getting warmer.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
woodpecker wrote:
May have an opportunity to get to ARC2000 next week, what's the snow like? Looks good on the cameras but forecast looks like its getting warmer.

Should be very good tomorrow but with a freezing level over 3000m from Thursday it will become freeze/thaw everywhere including the highest pistes.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Arctic Roll, thanks! The terrace at 2134 looks good for afternoon beers…do you know if they do snacks for the kids? R
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CanNons in the morning, cannons in the afternoon, cannons in wintertime: cannons to the left of me, cannons to the right of me- it is a banging time !!

11pm last night it was raining In arc2000 but I was woken to a Cannon going off at 07.45 and it continued to snow all day. Only the lower lifts in 2000 were open. Must have snowed a metre or more. However the forecast is Sun tomorrow and increasingly warm as the week goes on
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We are arriving in Les Arcs 1800, for the first time, on Saturday and was wondering whether we need to make reservations for dinner. Or are there enough places to choose from, especially if we go out early?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Owlette wrote:
@Arctic Roll, Thanks! Will definitely check that out. Worth knowing about places all over as then we have options no matter whilch direction we go in.

Could I jump on and ask for evening recommendations in 1800 please? I imagine we'll eat in a lot, but possibly out once or twice.

Hi Owlette,

I've already booked my tables for 26th-1st trip as follows:

3 x evenings at Cabane Des Neige in Les Villards Arc 1800. (my favourite restaurant - does all savoyard fare including an indoor BBQ too)
2 x evenings at L'escale Gourmand in Charvet Arc 1800 (great Savoyard restaurant and the "La Potence" dish is incredible - fillet flamed in brandy on a spit over Dauphinoise
1 x evening at Le Dream Spot in Les Villards Arc 1800 (used to be Chez Clarisse - just changed hands) amazing dish of a whole loaf filled with fondue cheese

Drinks in the Mountain Cafe at Charvet and also at Before 2 Bar in Les Villards. Benjis Bar in Les Villards is where we start most evenings for cocktails
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
25th for us - I know a lot of the recent snow will have gone, but hoping the snow will have topped up the pistes enough so we have a reasonable week of piste cruising.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anyone know why Aguille Rouge is closed? Is it because of wind or avalanche risk?
snow report
Hi - we were out in Les Arcs from Thu 9th to Sun 12th. Given half the mountain was closed on Fri and Sat, do you know if there is any avenue to get a part refund on your ski-pass for those days? I heard some people talking about discounts being offered on passes bought before midnight on the Thurs and Fri night cos they knew of the restricted access, but nothing about refunds on pre-paid passes.
latest report
@yllen, as long as there is at least one lift running you've no chance IME.

As you say sometimes they will offer a discount when buying but never anything retrospective afaik.

Personally, I take it on the chin. Some days I will get my full moneys worth skiing from opening to closing lift, some days very restricted. Thankfully, not too many of the latter. Can be frustrating I know.
ski holidays
Didnt some boarder set off an avalanche that buried 3 x people on Edelweiss ??
latest report
@eps, avalanche level 4 (has been all week!)?.

@Yellow Snow - I have heard that there was an avalanche on a blue run, which buried several peeps, but no further details….
snow conditions
Woah... on a blue piste?? I thought it was nigh on impossible, or did the avalanche start higher up and end on the blue run?

Isn't there an 'optimum' angle of around 38/39 degrees either side of that the risk decreases.. i.e. mini-avalanches occur due to the steep angle or if it's too shallow gravity does it's bit. I guess the temp + snowfall being intermittent has compounded the issue and made them more highly likely.
ski holidays
Edelweiss is a track which has a couple steep banks on the side of it. These banks are about 10m high so small avalanches fall onto the track quite frequently. These don't normally injure anyone though I suppose you could be buried if you were unfortunate to be caught. They seem to happen when the snow is particularly wet. I would not like to be caught by one.
snow conditions
Yes there was an avalanche on the track and three people were buried. There were over 60 people searching and those buried were found and rescued.
latest report
Gosh, good to hear they were rescued.
snow conditions
Would appreciate views from La Plagne/Les Arcs regulars please.
If based in Vallandry, is there much to do in terms of non-skiing stuff? For example, can you get to swimming pool, sports centre?
What other activities, apart from eating and drinking? Smile
latest report
@PeakyB, if you look at Peisey-Vallandry website there are a number of options. However these are daytime things like walks or snow shoeing. There’s not a lot else to do in Vallandry in the evening. There is a cinema and will generally have a film in English during week.

You can walk to 1800 for Mille8 where there is swimming etc and there may be a bus (depends on whether access road cleared).

A few of the apartment complexes have pools but guess not open to public.
ski holidays
@Boris, thanks Smile
Do you think the access road to 1800 will be open next week?
ski holidays
@PeakyB, I don’t for sure, my guess is yes as snow line above road. I’ll see if can find bus times
snow report
@PeakyB, timetable here is showing as buses running

https://www.peisey-vallandry.com/medias/documents/003_service_web/Hiver_20222023/affichage_en_attendant.pdf
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Boris, that's great, thanks Very Happy
snow report
@PeakyB, No problem - hope you enjoy Vallandry

It's not the biggest or busiest of resorts, but has access to a big ski area. We started going when the kids were 2 as it was quieter and family friendly - still going 20-years later Laughing
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
@PeakyBThere’s not a lot else to do in Vallandry in the evening. There is a cinema and will generally have a film in English during week.

We've been to Vallandry a few times, agree not much there but never realised that there was a cinema.

We're there from Sunday, at La Foret, so will have a look and see what's on!
latest report
@anarchicsaltire, Yeah - only a little one, tucked away down the stairs by the lift ticket office
ski holidays
@Boris, Not that I will use it, but thanks for that timetable. It is interesting to note just how late it runs in case I miss the last lift back to Arc1800. I've seen people catching it in the bus station in Arc1800 having, possibly, been in the Mile8 until it closed at 19:00 (or more likely given their intoxicated state in the Follie Duce)

My impression is that the bus does not follow the usual road that we use in the summer (part of that is a piste) but takes a slightly lower road. This road is an access road for firefighting vehicles and is kept open almost all the time. Other vehicles are forbidden to use it
latest report
@johnE, correct - it comes in at the top of Vallandry by the Heli Pad and the Piste Basher hut. I'd only ever seen the bus run in poor snow years to get folk across to Arc1800 but they must have decided to make it a permeant thing.

May even try it myself this year to pop over!

It's actually quite a pleasant walk we've done a few times after an early finish for a change of scene
snow conditions
@Boris, It does seem to have a much more extensive timetable this year. In the past I thought it only ran a couple times a day and on some years not at all. I think it may be due to plans to make the Nordic skiing more accessible.
snow report
@johnE, It's lovely out at the Nordic area - and great restaurant. Had a day there last year when boy was trying to teach me.

Must admit I can see the attraction, nice scenery, empty runs, no snowboarders Toofy Grin
snow report
@Boris, I get up there a lot during the summer. There is a good via ferrata as well as walks into the National Park. The Parcour d'Adventure is great for us kids of all ages. For a wet day excurion try visiting the mining musuem (near the "promanade un cheval")
ski holidays
@johnE, Thank you - we're back there in the summer this year so will have a look
snow report
@Boris, Have a go at this https://www.viaferrata.com/index.php/en-us/via-ferrata/europa/france/33-french/250-06e-via-ferrata-les-bettieres-peisey-nancroix-savoie-france.html. The top section is excellent, but the descent direct to the car park was closed last summer.
snow report
Thanks all for the useful info.
I’ve stayed in 1600 and 2000 several times and also La Plagne but never Vallandry.

I was about to say ‘see you there’ on Sunday at La Foret. Still awaiting confirmation from Ski Olympic. Maybe they suddenly sold out or their Doncaster office doesn’t open on Fridays?

On tenterhooks. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy