Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2022 / 2023

Poster: A snowHead
Its snowing in 1800! First decent snowfall since mid January. They have been doing a good job at keeping pistes skiable but more and more have been closed over the last few weeks. Hopefully if it keeps falling as forecast things will start to open up again. I have just seen some photos from 2000 and it looks like significantly more has already fallen up there.

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My snow dance is working!!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Owlette, Make sure you stop it on Saturday... snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The live cam of Arc 2000 is upside down again.... Laughing Laughing

https://www.lesarcs.com/livecams
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nice to see snow on cams even around Vallandry

Just hope it keeps dumping it down for next few weeks as we're over there end March
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Owlette wrote:
My snow dance is working!!!

Keep it up !!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@kevinrhead, good news, finally.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Even the 'brown' bits on the Vanoise Express webcam have been covered nicely..

https://m.webcam-hd.com/lesarcs/vanoise-express
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We just need the freezing level to drop a bit.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just to give you a better taste of what's going on https://en.lesarcs.com/powder-alert
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This looks amazing Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi - Forgive the silly question; I've never been to Les Arcs...

but a quick look at the map suggests that 1/3 of the mountain is closed...
https://www.lesarcs.com/plan-des-pistes
Could that be true?

With the recent snow, I was hoping to visit next weekend... March 17-20... can anyone offer insight?
Worth the trip in your opinion?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The pattern of opening could be avalanche assessment, that's IF there's been consistent snowfall overnight or snowpack instability that needs review.

The immediate lifts out of villages seem open, they're usually quick and safe to get people moving to then let pistuers bring others on stream. The pattern looks familiar to me from the above scenario, check it later to see if it's getting going further.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ski3, ah - Thank You - that makes perfect sense..!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
US_EU wrote:

Could that be true?

With the recent snow, I was hoping to visit next weekend... March 17-20... can anyone offer insight?

Most closures are due to strong winds at high altitude I presume. Shows 60+km/h.
I have a stay in Les Arcs 2000 planned in two weeks time. Very nervous looking at the weather.
snow conditions
@US_EU, the steep black pistes and those from the ridge to 2000 are avalanche prone and after heavy snow are often closed for avalanche protection. Usually they open in the afternoon..
snow report
strmin wrote:
US_EU wrote:

Could that be true?

Most closures are due to strong winds at high altitude I presume. Shows 60+km/h.
I have a stay in Les Arcs 2000 planned in two weeks time. Very nervous looking at the weather.

Dont worry about the links - 2000 is super high but gets super high winds and it just takes a little longer to make it all safe.
Once its open you'll get the pick of terrain, and if the weather closes in you've always got the option of dropping down to 1600 / Vila Roger etc.
Defo make the trip. Very Happy
snow report
Fresh snow onto the snow surface that’s been there for over a month is always a serious avalanche risk.
snow conditions
Also out there 2-weeks Saturday - there is snow and there will be some skiing. Yes I'd like multi foot deep powder but will take what there is

Got to be better than 2011 when the Vallandry Bowl was closed, as it was green, and there were just single narrow strips down to resorts.
latest report
Boris wrote:
Got to be better than 2011 when the Vallandry Bowl was closed, as it was green, and there were just single narrow strips down to resorts.

Remember that in early April - taking skis off to stomp across the mud to reach the Arpette lift.
ski holidays
Had look at the 1800 webcam earlier - seemed to me that it had been raining ? Sad :: the fresh snow from yesterday had disappeared and the Ski School office roof was bare of any snow....
snow report
Yes rained heavily in 1800 yesterday evening. which pretty much washed away all the new snow or turned it into watery slush.
Higher up things were better and this morning there was plenty of new snow on the piste and off piste. A lot of the lifts took a while to open this morning due to avalanche blasting, so those that were open were very busy. The higher lifts in 2000 bowl had not opened when we left at 2pm and did not look like they were going to open. The temperatures are still too high and although the new snow was very welcome it was very heavy going and was turning to slush lower down when we returned to 1800.
snow report
We went over to La Plagne today and snow very good high up. Came back around 4pm. Snow ok but slushy towards Grizzly, disappointingly Derby shut due to mechanical issues, hope it's fixed tomorrow as most of the best tree lined skiing starts with Derby
snow report
Well there's literally snow on web cams today, so views are anything but clear. However all looks encouraging. 2 weeks tomorrow we will find out
snow conditions
Boris wrote:
Well there's literally snow on web cams today, so views are anything but clear. However all looks encouraging. 2 weeks tomorrow we will find out

Linds and I are there from the 19th for the week, will let you know if we leave you any snow.
snow report
3 weeks for us... just hoping Beast from the East, etc.. maintains some snow cover there!!!
snow report
4 weeks for us. Watching the rain forecasts over the past week I had started to plan for more of a road biking holiday. It's been such a relief to see the FLs drop so much.
ski holidays
Three weeks for us,. Come on snow. Lovely, heavy cover for a couple of weeks please, and then clear around the 26th ish so that the roads have time to be cleared and give us lovely spring driving conditions.

Too much to ask?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lots of snow but very wet and heavy freezing level around 2000. Links were closed yesterday and don't look like they will open today.
We only went out for a couple of hours yesterday afternoon as visibility in the morning was very poor. Snow conditions above Vallandry were good but lower down a mix of heavy snow/slush/ice on pistes, so made getting down to lifts a bit tricky. Currently mix of wet snow/rain at 1800.
ski holidays
Arrived yesterday. Raining at 1950, but sleet at 2000 and blowing fiercely. Woke up to ‘Cannons firing at 7 AM ! ; cafe owner reckoned 1 metre plus had fallen at altitude. Only a couple of lifts opened at 2000 first thing,but most are open now. Snow is superb.
Cannons are still going off as I type….!
Should add = cloud less blue sky now
snow report
Fully open today, but very busy (it’s the middle of March…..!!). It is also very warm ; plus 16 at the bottom of Varet if the thermometer is to be believed. Seems the new snow may have attracted more punters , but also a lot of people coming across to the 2000 bowl from lower down to avoid the slush…..
ski holidays
First time in Les Arcs first week of Easter. Staying in Arc 2000. Who can recommend good on mountain lunch spots (we will have kids so nothing too pricey - 2 bloke mates with 2 boys each 10 - 12 y/o) or anything decent in the evenings? Will it be best to book ahead for dinner? We'll probably only go out 2 or 3 times and eat in apartment the others....presume Arc 1950 is best for evenings? Thanks! R
ski holidays
I think we had some good food in Arcs 1950 during lunchtime... The one at the bottom of the Derby I felt was pricey... but I might have it mixed up with another one!! Bottom of Roc de Blanchettes was quite good, but it depends on what you want to eat. We were happy with a panini, small pizza or chips at lunchtime, having filled up on porridge and croissants in the morning!! Plus we usually take a couple of chocolate bars to have if we feel peckish and don't want to stop too much in the morning.

Evenings we tend to make sure we book when it's the usual chalet staff night off and it depends if you want something Savoie or just pizza or whatever. I've been scanning the area local to us - we're in Peisey and will see what the chalet staff recommend. Last year we were in La Plagne and had a few options near where we were, but did a curry one night and a bolognese on another night, when we were self catering. Keep it simple but filling!!

Plus one evening we had take out pizzas, which were great - but watch the wait times!!!
snow conditions
@riman8, Though Iv'e never stayed in 1950 I think you will have a much better and bigger choice for evenning meals is 2000.

As for lunch. It depends a lot realy on what you want and where you are.

For lunch we often go to the hotel Vanoise in Peisey and almost always have the Plat du Jour. It's an excellent meal for IRRC about 17€. In the 2000 bowl the "mushroom" does fantastic sea food platter, the Pre st Espirit is good for sitting out on the terrace and for self service if you want something like spag bol. In the 1600 area Rocky Mountains does excellent burgers (IIRC a burger and beer is about 16€ that may or may not include chips I cannot recall). There are a lot places to eat out for lunch most are good, but there are some I choose to avoid due either to expense or very slow service.
To save money make sure you call in to a restaurant or snack bar in one of the villages rarther than on the slopes.
ski holidays
@riman8, for good value outside eating when the weather is good - Meli Snack in 1950 is a great lunch time food place. You can’t miss the place, it’s in the main square with pink signs! Good value hot dogs, chips, burgers, crepes waffles, pannini - the chicken kebab is particularly good. My kids love it.

There are a few picnic spots on the hill, so if it’s nice and warm this is a great option. Arpette ridge just right past the Carrelly chair, and top of Comborciere chair.

There are also a few snack huts dotted about - 2000 bowl below the Arcabulle chair, and side of the piste mid way up the bowl around off the side of the Plagnettes red. (Also accessible from the blue)
latest report
Fab tips thank you. Meli Snack in particular sounds good for us. Mine are 9 and 11 and sounds like there's a decent selection there. We're staying in 1800, but the boys will be in ski school mornings only so I quite fancy meeting them at the end of their lesson with some snacks and heading out to ski with them over lunch, aiming to stop somewhere like that at the tail end of the famous French lunchbreak.
snow report
The webcams are showing some decent snow coverage this morning, and it's still coming!
ski holidays
@Owlette, I hate to disappoint you, but the famous French lunch break is not that significant. Times have changed. The biggest effects are: you are more likely to get a table before 12 or after 14 and of course the lifts are a bit busier when the ski schools resume.

It’s the same with Saturdays. They are no quieter than the rest of the week and perhaps slightly busier with weekend skiers. Thursdays are imho the quietest day the week in les arcs.
latest report
its snowing!! keep doing the snow dance people!
ski holidays
@johnE, that is not my experience.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy