Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2022 / 2023

Poster: A snowHead
@rob@rar, they own a few of the bars & restaurants in 1950. Bought them from P&V after *their* takeover from Intrawest included them in the deal.

(I know Michel Porcel, owner and head of Restoleil, reasonably well through my activities in 1950 (we've shared a few croissants and coffees in breakfast meetings), and his son Quentin is the manger of BCL. I'll ask him what's up next time I'm over there)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arctic Roll wrote:
@rob@rar, they own a few of the bars & restaurants in 1950. Bought them from P&V after *their* takeover from Intrawest included them in the deal.

(I know Michel Porcel, owner and head of Restoleil, reasonably well through my activities in 1950 (we've shared a few croissants and coffees in breakfast meetings), and his son Quentin is the manger of BCL. I'll ask him what's up next time I'm over there)
If you could make a special plea that they reduce the price of their Espresso to match the Bulle Café I’d be forever grateful!

More seriously, I do hope they refurbish the self-catering part of the Arpette as well as the restaurant. The picnic benches are well past their best.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am lucky enough to be skiing this season in Arc 1800. My apartment has no phone or internet and the phone signal is non existent and as a positive move to keep work and skiing apart for me and the family, I made the decision not to install internet.

In the past, I've used the wifi in some bars plus data when there has been a phone signal to access emails mainly and answer any that needed it which has been infrequently. Its worked for 7 years.

As I'm now out for a longer time, and the way life is moving, I know that I will need to have access and print out and scan some docs while I'm away.

I will only need it over the winter and for this ski season so I dont need a permanent solution.

I've contacted the Marie office in Bourg and the tourist info in Arc but nothing back as yet.

Does anyone know if there is something like a business centre in any of the ski villages or in Bourg ?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ipken, have you looked into satellite connectivity at all? Not cheap but might be an option for internet in the apartment for netflix etc
https://www.starlink.com/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ipken, I know that the Base Camp Lodge in Bourg has a business center, and also a new place called SOWO opened last summer, which I believe also offers the same, you rent the work space as and when required.

Not sure of anything up the hill.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks for the responses
I never thought about sat but its quite pricey for what I need
The tourist info have answered part of the issue in that they are boosting the public wifi across the resorts and they can print docs, scan them and then email to me, which sort of works

I hadnt thought about Basecamp as when I called in when it opened, it was a hotel, so will speak to them. I didnt know about SOWO so will also contact them though it looks like the shortest time is a day

Its really somewhere to go for an hour once a week/two weeks and sort out some things which doesnt really fit into using a bar wifi or sitting outside Transarc
Simple emails are fine
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ipken, I've no experience but would a 4g wifi/internet dongle for your laptop work? If so buy a cheap printer/scanner then you are sorted?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I've no experience but would a 4g wifi/internet dongle for your laptop work?

Not sure if is the same in 1800 but in 1600 you rarely get 4g, sometimes edge, but mobile phone data is almost not existant. My thoughts would be to enquire at the big hotels such as Golf for office services. Otherwise it is a couple hours sitting over a coffee in a bar. Many other people seem to do it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
New webcam for Les Arcs? Just spotted a Webcam and LiveCam at the Varet top station on the Les Arcs website. Is this new?

https://app.webcam-hd.com/lesarcs/varet

http://youtube.com/v/a0X_CHpkPs0
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rob@rar, There was a livecam on the Varet all last season. I used to watch it to watch people set off on the zip wire. It took a long time to load them up onto the trolley
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks for the responses on the internet question. The phone signal isnt great so dongles dont work. The wifi in the resort isnt that bad but the Tourist info seemed eager to help out with printing and scanning. The Hotel Golf used to have an area with computers in a sort of business centre but they went a few years ago, presumably as guests brought a laptop or phones and wifi worked for them. I will be contacting them to double check
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Last night, we were invited to a Paradiski presentation in London, hosted by the marketing depts of the three areas, and the Bourg Tourist Office. Mainly for Journos and TOs, but also including local operators and owners with known active interest in the domain.

Didn't seem to be a great deal of 'official' news from the Les Arcs side of the valley - although the upgrade of the TransArc is progressing, but there were other interesting snippets from "those in the know" - a brief summary:

Negotiations with Eurostar have stalled about returning a St Pancras - BSM direct train, (non CdA operated). Tourist Office say Mayor will continue to push.

New lift from Villaroger replacing the bottom two has moved through the planning stages, and is now actively being pursued.
Villaroger upgrade plans - which we first heard about / reported here quite a few years ago - is now in the planning stage. A Hotel and apartments interconnected complex in the 'space' between la Ferme and the old village. 800 beds. Eco - will use Geothermal heat source for energy. Need to complete the buying of the land to get to the next stage.

The new'ish apartment complex in 1600, La Ridge, built on the site of the old Beguin hotel, supposedly has a bakery and diner on the ground floor with "the best chef in the domain". Open to non residents. We may well give it a lunchtime go this winter. (Approach via the green run that goes around the back of the Club Med - or park your skis at Sanglier and walk across)

Had too much hospitality (ahem) to ask about progress on the season passes - will try email this morning!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Advice for Les Arcs virgin please snowHead

Have train tickets to BSM for 18-25 March. Never skied Les Arcs (plenty in St Foy, Tignes/EK, LaRosiere). Which of Arcs to choose for a solo trip - aim higher or stay in 1800?

Reasonably prices hotel recommendations are very much welcome.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mooney058 wrote:
Advice for Les Arcs virgin please snowHead

Have train tickets to BSM for 18-25 March. Never skied Les Arcs (plenty in St Foy, Tignes/EK, LaRosiere). Which of Arcs to choose for a solo trip - aim higher or stay in 1800?

Reasonably prices hotel recommendations are very much welcome.

My view/experience

Arc 2000

A bit "Moon Base Alpha" and feels a bit desolate if the weather closes in. It's handy and high - but my least favourite. Years ago, my folks stayed in the Aiguille Rouge - cheap and cheerful (and handy).

Arc 1950

Really liked our stay here. It has Canadian standards of accommodation and everything is very handy. Small and bijou - almost like "Disney does a ski village". You pay extra for it though. https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/skiing/arc-1950-the-french-ski-resort-that-was-made-to-measure-10057981.html

Arc 1800

The biggest of the Les Arcs and where I have stayed the most. We have always gone to the Hotel du Golf. Very adequate hotel - but has been taken over by the Belambra holiday club....not for the better, but still a nice handy place to stay.

Arc 1600

Much smaller than 1800, but has the link down to BSM. We stayed in La Cachette (was a Belambra hotel when we were there), which is handy and has just been completely refurbished.

My advice - go where you get the best deal.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 7-10-22 10:59; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@mooney058, If you're solo-ing, 2000 offers a lot of AirBnB small accommodation that isn't too pricey, as well as a couple of mid-range hotels. There's good bars / restaurants, and a wide choice of entertainment if that's your thing.

As debated often on this thread in the past, it's still only one lift to get to the Vanoise for your day trip to La Plagne, or indeed the whole of the 1600/1800/Peisey face so it isn't like you are cut off by being in the 2000/1950 valley.

Although starting to get warmer, there's no necessity to stay higher than 1800 though, and 1600 will be just as accessible by snow. The world is your lobster.

We're based in 1950 which to be fair, probably isn't right for you - the new VIP-Ski hotel (Chalet D'Ourson) is quite pricey. Value, but pricey.

We will also be there that week, and quite probably by train too (tbd). If you do decide on 2000 let me know, and we can maybe meet up.
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, @Arctic Roll, thanks a lot for sharing the names and hints! Always a useful start!

Will aim at budget/deals for a solo trip, but keen on easy logistics and access to good restos. It will be end of the season trip, no need to keep the form and can do raclette every evening (no, I won’t Laughing )

Edit: @Arctic Roll, happy to meet, share a glass and benefit from local knowledge
snow conditions
Quote:

The new'ish apartment complex in 1600, La Ridge, built on the site of the old Beguin hotel, supposedly has a bakery and diner on the ground floor with "the best chef in the domain".

Mssr Fernand, previous owner of Chez Fernand and le Cairn in 1600 has a new place on the ground floor of the Ridge. We called in over the summer and it is a nice little bar and gourmet shop. Though remote from the shops and bars of 1600 I did see that they are installing a shuttle bus service to link le Ridge with the rest of the village. I doubt if you'll be able to get back easily after a night of live music at the Abrevoir, however.

@mooney058, I'll be in Arc 1600 11th to 23 March if you fancy meeting up for a ski or a drink. The resort website is the palce to go if you are looking for an apartment to rent. A small studio for a week should cost only a few hundred euro. Are you planning an end of season trip as well as the March trip? If so we could meet up then as well.

Just note that Arc 1800 is actually at 1700m and Arc 1600 at about 1650. On the other hand Arc 2000 is named after the milenium not its height it is over 2100m.
latest report
Anyone got an idea of when the lift pass prices will be published?
ski holidays
Opening Les Arcs / Peisey-Vallandry: From 10 December 2022 to 29 April 2023

Paradiski opening: From 17 December 2022 to 23 April 2023

Toofy Grin
latest report
Wonder if these are correct?

https://www.trois-a.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Tarifs-ADS-saison-hiver-2022-2023-CM-19-mai-2022-1.pdf
latest report
ukoldschool wrote:
Wonder if these are correct?

https://www.trois-a.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Tarifs-ADS-saison-hiver-2022-2023-CM-19-mai-2022-1.pdf

Up 20 Euros on last year for a six day Essential - it could have been a lot worse; imagine if we were getting fewer Euros to the pound as well...
snow conditions
I havent started to look at the webcams yet for snow - it quickly turns into a bad habit - but the season is getting more real

The long stay visa is in the passport, overnight ferry booked for outward trip and completed application for building car park.

I've even upped the exercise levels in readiness.

My wife has been handling the diary for family and friends wanting to come out to the extent that I may need a week somewhere else to get away from them. I fancy a drive to Florence at Feb half term

Just waiting for the good news on season ski pass prices and massive dumps of snow
snow report
@ipken, i never get excited or worried about any snow before December.
latest report
Via Radio Les Arcs, referring to an decision taken yesterday it looks like the discounted season pass rates have been confirmed, falling in to line with what La Plagne confirmed a couple of weeks ago. Good news.
Quote:
Seasonal Flat Rates
for the station of Arcs Bourg-Saint-Mauritius

Municipal Council of October 13
---------------------------------------
SKI PACKAGE RATES
Approval of additional fares in coherence with other stations in the ski area. Following the deferral filed by the State against the June 30th deliberation and still waiting for a verdict whose outcome remains too uncertain, the elected. es and the ADS ski domain have been working on an alternative solution to offer a satisfactory and affordable ski offer for adults on The Arcs (age 16+):
>> Season package 1/7 days + funicular 7/7 = 240 €
>> Season package 2/7 days + funicular 7/7 = 315 €
>> Classic season package = €629 (-40% compared to last year)

Packages 5 - 15 years old:
Thanks to the commitment of your elected officials. es, children will benefit this winter from a multisport package including unlimited swimming pool + summer-winter lifts at a very preferential rate. The creation of this pass comes within the framework of the municipality's educational policy: knowing how to ski, ride, swim.
This solution for children's packages will be voted on in November's city council.

Eh oh! The principle of pricing People of the Country must remain, deputies and senators are seized in order to evolve the law. The municipal team continues to defend its position and will of June 30 at the court
I assume the full Paradiski pass will be €730, as previously flagged.
ski holidays
The calculator on the Les Arcs website now shows 2023 pricing, but it calculates the discount (supposed to be 15 E per person when booking for 4 or more) incorrectly at 10 E per person.
Im sure it will get fixed Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
I found this page with the season passes on them https://www.lesarcs-peiseyvallandry.com/fr/pass-saison#pass-saison-illimite 584€ seems a good price for me, abou the same as a 13 day pass. I think I'll buy one.
latest report
We are going to stay in Arc 1950 from 31st Dec to 9th Jan. We've pre-booked 8-day Essentiel lift passes starting from 1st Jan. I know the passes include skiing from 12.30 onwards on the 31st. If we are arriving into Bourg on the train at approximately 13.30 on the 31st and taking the funicular up to Arc 1600, can we collect our lift passes at the train or funicular station and use them for our funicular trip up, or will we have to buy funicular tickets separately?
snow conditions
@oldschool72, we get the lift passes posted to our home adress rather than picking them up at the lift pass office. When you pick the pass up and when they become valid are different events so I see no problem in picking the passes up from the lift pass office at the bottom of the funicular. There may be a queue as other people arriving on the train may be buying passes at the office simply to go up the funicular.

My suggestion is to get them posted to your home address and give yourself less to do on arrival.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE wrote:
I found this page with the season passes on them https://www.lesarcs-peiseyvallandry.com/fr/pass-saison#pass-saison-illimite 584€ seems a good price for me, abou the same as a 13 day pass. I think I'll buy one.
584€ for over-65s is a great price, especially considering what it has cost in the last few years. I wonder why they have reduced the price so much this season? I was debating whether to get a Les Arcs season pass, a Paradiski season pass or use an A La Carte pass this winter, but with price reduction of the season passes I'm definitely going to get a Paradiski (Essential) season pass. Even if I bunk off skiing on days when the weather is foul it will still work out cheaper per day than the A La Carte pass. The Les Arcs website says season pass sales will be available from 3 November. Wonder if they will offer the interest free payment scheme they had in place last year?
snow report
@rob@rar, I'll be going for the Paradiski pass as well - not that I'll be going over to La Plagne much but that since I'll be there over the Christmas week, which is looking like the busiest week of the season this year the express lanes will be realy useful.
latest report
We always buy Paradiski and I use the express lane whenever I can as I feel that if its not used, they will pull it at some point.

We havent really made full use of the La Plagne element of the pass partly as the runs back to the Vanoise are a bit poor at the start and end of the season plus half terms being mad busy as well on the return.

We do Arc 1800 to Montalbert and back over to Vilaroger for lunch a few times a season and over the back towards Champagny but cant remember the last time I went all the way down to Champagny.

We like the runs back down from Inversens plus the run under Carella but tend to use the runs in La Plagne Centre bowl as runs to somewhere else rather than skiing them

Once we hit Arpette in Belcotte, it tends to turn into a blast to the Vanoise

Maybe this season is the one where we will spend more time over there.
snow report
@oldschool72, If you arrive by train, then your funicular pass is gratis, courtesy of the 'greening' of Les Arcs. Just wave your train ticket at them at the booth, and they'll give you the ticket for free (but I think it's only €3 one way these days, so great, but not that great...) .

You can then get your ski passes at your convenience.

But to make sure you don't get too excited...
if you arrive into Bourg at 13:30, then it isn't the direct ADS train from St P I don't think. So to get to the Funi, head to the back of the train towards the pedestrian bridges which lead from the platforms to the funi station. Going out the front will add a km or more to your walk.

Even with that, your funicular will be unlikely to get you to 1600 until 2pm at the absolute earliest, so 2:45pm into 1950. And that's with all the connections working out perfectly. If you're a first time visitor to 1950, then allow yourselves 10 - 15 mins to find your way to your building, and their quick-change areas. (If you're not intending to check in early). I'd hazard you wouldn't be on the slopes a lot before 4pm.

At that time of year, lifts will be closing by 16:30, so you'll not get a lot of skiing time. And if you have to collect rental gear... you're probably better off relaxing, exploring the village and finding the best drinkeries and eateries.
ski holidays
@Arctic Roll, we are staying in 1800 close to the Transarc car (at the Bellmont), When staying a week I cant see a reason why the additional cost of the Essential or Paradiski pass would be of massive benefit as we def wont be going to La Plagne, and the express lanes from memory in mid Dec arent really any faster than the normal lanes?
snow report
@ukoldschool, I think @Arctic Roll, was replying to a post by @oldschool72, who was coming to 1950 31st December. OK New Year week is not looking as busy this year as normal but the express lanes would still be useful that week. In my experience the express lane at the Combourciere lift saves about 10 minutes of queing on busy weeks. Other lifts are just as beneficial. In April they are disbanded. Incidently in mid December I also wouldn't bother with the essentials pass and would stick with the classic.
ski holidays
Thanks John
ski holidays
@rob@rar, likewise, the Annual pass looks to be the one for me. Unfortunately being out of the country when the reminder came, I forgot to cancel my A la Carte, so they've taken the €29 activation off with the DD already (doh!) - but unless I lose a whole shedload of skiing days in my 3x 1 week trips, it still works out better.

But then Classic or Essential? With the La Plagne extension only being €22 per day, - the €100 difference between the two would require 5 trips (or major use of the discounts) - and the weeks we're there, hardly needing the fast path. More thought required.

Not sure about the summer extension either. Although our intent is to be out for 3, maybe 4 weeks, not sure €220 / €190 is justified. Rarely as a family do we use more than 10 uplifts a week between us, so even if I was lapping on the bike, it is hard to think I'd use 30 odd lifts on my own.

[/cheapskate]
latest report
@Arctic Roll, the Express Lane use is worth it for me. It can be useful even in low season weeks: 1st day of last season the Vagere chair lift was slow opening up because of the volume of snow which had fallen, so a very large queue developed before they started letting people on. Using the Express Lane meant I was on one of the first chairs up the hill, delivering knee-deep untracked snow on my first run of the season. Worth €100 just by itself!
snow conditions
@rob@rar, you're making me jealous.... Smile
snow conditions
@rob@rar, I didn't realise that the Vagere lift was on the express scheme. I thought it was only Caroley from 1800. Express on Vagere would IMHO be a really big plus. We missed the start of last season due to the Christmas close down of the border with France and by the time we came out at the end of March the express lanes had fallen in to disrepair or had been removed..

@Arctic Roll, I also cannot see me benefiting from the summer season pass. We tend to be in Les Arcs only for about 2 weeks in the summer (we spend more time in the Dolomites) and over that period may use lifts perhaps for one day of mountain biking. So not a good deal. You have made me think, however, about the classic versus essentials pass; is it worth 80€ to save, perhaps 20 minutes of queueing per day (max) for 20 days. In other words - is it worth 20cents for every minute less of queueing? Or 12€ per hour? I used a similar argument to show that paying the licence fee for BBC was a much better deal than enduring advertisements on ITV. I very rarely go to La Plagne.
latest report
@johnE, Vagere was added to the scheme last winter. I think one of the reasons that it allowed me to bypass the very large queue that built up while we waited for the lift to open was that few people knew an express lane was offered on that lift. IIRC, there was no signage at the time stating it was an express lane but I thought I’d risk getting booted to the back of the queue (and was rewarded by being on the third chair out of the station Happy )
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy