Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Water level behind the Tignes/Chevril Dam?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As Europe suffers drought I wondered what the water level behind the dam is. Is the old Tignes visible? Anyone been recently to give an update? Pics would be even better!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The water level was down a bit but looked relatively normal when we were there for 11 gloriously sunny days in July. We left Tignes on the 27th.

I suspect it would've needed something very drastic since then to expose the old village.

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Living in Val d'Isere year round I can tell you there is a LOT of water that needs to drop for the old Tignes to be visible. In fact as they intentiaonly lower the water level in the Winter in anticipation of the Summer melt filling it back up again the old village is never (unintentionally) visible. Id say the water level is slightly lower than normal for this time of the year (marginally) but the billions of gallons is managed intensely so if there is anything noticed then it will not be until Spring next year before it becomes apparent id say!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Living in Val d'Isere year round I can tell you there is a LOT of water that needs to drop for the old Tignes to be visible. In fact as they intentiaonly lower the water level in the Winter in anticipation of the Summer melt filling it back up again the old village is never (unintentionally) visible. Id say the water level is slightly lower than normal for this time of the year (marginally) but the billions of gallons is managed intensely so if there is anything noticed then it will not be until Spring next year before it becomes apparent id say!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

This dam? Looks like it was holding mainly silt on this day, hard to tell. Taken 17/3/2015.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Steve and Mountainadict. No spooky photos any time soon then. Probably not enough interest for its own webcam though.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This blog from 2014 is well worth a read.

http://grangedalice.blogspot.com/2014/04/tignes-semper-vivens-part-1-old-village.html

http://grangedalice.blogspot.com/2014/04/tignes-semper-vivens-part-2-visit-to.html
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have just seen a photo taken last Saturday. The level is quite a bit higher than mountainaddicts pic. Steve is right the water is used in the winter to generate power when demand is higher and then it fills up with the melt and summer rain. If it is full then electricity is generated. Occasionally they also open the sluices to ensure an A Level standard of white water on the Moutiers Kayak course.

Interestingly it is still filling this year, as France has real generation capacity problems at the moment. Presumably they are importing electricity from Spain Germany and the UK as there is spare capacity in the summer and keeping the water for winter.

Scooter, your picture was taken when the Lake was last drained to allow maintenance on the sluices gates etc to be completed.

And now for the quiz question. When the Lac du Chevril is full, how many Olympic sized swimming pools would it fill?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@chocksaway,
None - it doesn't drain into any Olympic sized swimming pools. Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Kenzie, Laughing Have you not seen the size of Guerlain's en suite in Brev?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
And now for the quiz question. When the Lac du Chevril is full, how many Olympic sized swimming pools would it fill?
And in terms of the other usual Daily Mail (etc) yardsticks...The dam is the height of how many double decker buses or Nelson's Columns? wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

OK the reservoir is 230 million m3 of water. All I need to know now is just how big an olympic sized swimming pool is. Or indeed how high Nelson's Column or a double decker bus are.

Just note that 1mm of water spread over 1000km2, which is slightly more than the county of the West Midlands, is 1 million cubic metres. Imagine the West Midlands flooded to the depth of 230mm. It is a huge reservoir.

I do recall walking down from the Barrage du Saut, up above Val d'Isere and trying to estimate how much power it could produce. It proved an interesting discussion with my nepthew with lots of estimates such as the size of the catchment, the amount of rainfall per second on avarage falling over the catchment, the losses, the efficiency of the generating plant etc etc. In fact all we really knew was the head at the power station ( g times the head multiplied by the flowrate gives power in kwatts). It was an entertaining walk with lots of mental arithmetic.

I just found this from https://en.tignes.net/discover/glacier-lake-dam/le-barrage-de-tignes

The Chevril dam is a truly spectacular construction. Here are some dizzying figures to get your head around:

180m high
300m long
43m wide
6 years of construction: from 1946 to 1952
230 million m3 of water resulting in a 3.2 km2 lake, the equivalent of 100,000 Olympic swimming pools!
Up to 5,600 workers in the summer of 1949
600 step descent
110m3/s: this is the water flow rate of a bottom valve! These 70-year-old valves are currently being replaced, which explains the presence of a crane on the dam.
Supplies the electrical consumption of 392,000 inhabitants annually, the equivalent of 80% of residential consumption in the Savoie region.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

All I need to know now is just how big an olympic sized swimming pool is.

Based on the numbers further down, it's 50m long x 20m wide x 2.3m deep. I reckon that's a bit small - most "Olympic" pools are ten lanes now, so 25m wide. Deep is fast, too, so if the pool is 3m deep then the lake would fill a mere 61000 of them (not 100000 as quoted). So it's a bit like piste lengths - don't trust the resort's figures. Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When I was preparing an article for someone, I found a standard design size for the Olympic pool: 2500m3. There are a number of figures quoted for the capacity but I have the original publicity document as a picture on my wall which quotes 235 million m3. So my answer (others are available!) is 94,000.

PS Just like our local pub the quizmaster is always right, even when he's wrong. wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
Just like our local pub the quizmaster is always right, even when he's wrong
Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy