Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Visp train transfer 10min

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Travelling by train to Zermatt from Basel with a change at Visp. Does anyone know if 10 minutes is a realistic, panic-free amount of transfer time between the relevant train platforms at Visp incl ticket validating if wheeling luggage? We’re not young and could manage a luggage-loaded sprint of maybe 30 metres max!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes it is imo- No lift or escalators though there are long ramps - u need to go from plat 6 to 3 normally - trains every 30 mins
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, I had 3 min the other day (Zermatt to Cham) in Visp and it not a stressfull experience.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Swiss Rail generally don’t do validation - tho’ exceptions include multi-journey tickets.

Usually easiest to buy on SBB app anyway.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quite easy to do in 10 minutes. Would it matter, though, if you missed the connection? There are regular trains going up from Visp or are you on the last one (or the last before dinner closes)?
There are now some very good value advance purchase tickets - the Saver Day Pass in particular - which makes checking out the SBB website worthwhile.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all for the responses much appreciated. The advance tickets we were looking at through Eurail have the 2 journey legs on the one overall price, so for that price with each option yes we’d be buying the fixed departure and transfer times, me trying to go cheap. Comforting that we should be OK with 10 minutes but I will look at the SBB options.
Thanks!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DCG wrote:
Quite easy to do in 10 minutes. Would it matter, though, if you missed the connection? There are regular trains going up from Visp or are you on the last one (or the last before dinner closes)?
There are now some very good value advance purchase tickets - the Saver Day Pass in particular - which makes checking out the SBB website worthwhile.

Doesnt that depend on the ticket type as aren't some on the specified train times only, others are valid for a day and so any train on that route on that day can be taken?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ster wrote:
DCG wrote:

Doesnt that depend on the ticket type as aren't some on the specified train times only, others are valid for a day and so any train on that route on that day can be taken?

There are certainly some that restrict you to a particular train but the Saver Day Pass gives complete freedom and was exceptionally good value last year.
Available, I think, 2 months in advance on a first come first served basis.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Super saver is generally cheaper. You must take the specified trains though. A risk if flights are delayed for example. We fly over the day before, rather than a 3am get up, stay in a Geneva airport hotel, and then get a relaxed 10am train to Zermatt
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@twoodwar, yes the Super Saver is somewhat cheaper but only valid for the specific time trains on the ticket. The Saver Day Pass is the one I always go for as it gives you total flexibility for any delays. They go on sale 60 days before the date of travel, best to get them then as they increase in price the closer to the travel date: https://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-and-tickets/tickets-for-switzerland/day-pass/saver-day-pass.html
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just a follow up on this thread. We purchased the Saver Day Pass directly from the SBB site 2 months out from the date we fly into Basel airport and train to Zermatt. The cost was CHF 104 for 2 adults on 2nd class, which - compared to the set-time alternative costs we looked at previously and the distance we have to travel to get to the resort - I thought was brilliant value. And particularly so given I’ve found out the pass also includes the route from the airport into Basel SBB. We are bracing ourselves for Swiss pricing upside surprises on this trip, but we haven't had that from the trains anyway. Now we just need the snow gods to dump heavily in the Valais before November Eh oh!
Thanks again for the advice and assistance, much appreciated
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Agreed that the Saver Day pass is great value. Two further tips: remember to print them off before you travel (I found that I’d forgotten about that, having booked so long in advance). Also, going back to the original question, most Swiss platforms have both steps and a ramp down to the lower level where you can change to a different platform. Sounds like you would prefer the ramp so watch out for where that is when you arrive at Visp and any other intermediate change
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy