Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 1st week April 2023 = madness ?

Poster: A snowHead
After the trials and tribulations (and disappointments) over the last two years we are desperate to go back to Hotel Tyrol in Selva...

We were booked to go at Xmas 2020 and then Xmas 2021 and both times it was not possible .

We cannot do this Xmas for various reasons and we are already committed to San Cassiano with friends at Feb HT (and anyway Tyrol was eye wateringly expensive that week...)

So I am no eying up 1st week April... can go with Crystal for a fair price (still expensive but its worth it).

BUT - is skiing in the dollies likely to be a disaster 1st week April ? Or glorious (and quiet)?

Anyone have much experience in this week (think last week of the season for most of the areas apart from maybe Kronplatz and Cortina ?)

I guess we can go walking if there is no snow !
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would have said Madness..... : I went mid-March several years ago ; we just skied in the AM and chilled in the PM (low down snow was like slush - we actually bought gaiters to keep the water out of our boots...!)

At least Selva has several alternatives to Skiing..

The Crystal site shows Hotel Tyrol mid-March cheaper than 1st April?? (£1395 18th)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I guess it all depends on how warm Feb/March are and how much snow they get, I am a fan of April skiing generally, but not sure Italy would be top of the list to visit in April. Might be best booking the time off work and leaving it late to decide where to go?

April in Selva
Historic weather in April has produced average snow depth of 113cm at the top and 47cm at the bottom of the ski area.

https://www.sno.co.uk/ski/italy/selva/snow-history/#:~:text=January%20in%20Selva%20Historic%20weather%20in%20January%20has,63cm%20at%20the%20bottom%20of%20the%20ski%20area.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
albob wrote:
I would have said Madness..... : I went mid-March several years ago ; we just skied in the AM and chilled in the PM (low down snow was like slush - we actually bought gaiters to keep the water out of our boots...!)

At least Selva has several alternatives to Skiing..

The Crystal site shows Hotel Tyrol mid-March cheaper than 1st April?? (£1395 18th)

So potentially a bit of a gamble....

Cant really do mid March as youngest is doing GCSE yr 1 so will be tricky to manage that...

Don't mind just skiing AM and doing something else PM as the location and hotel is so lovely anyway - it will just be nice to be back...

But no skiing at all would be hard to bear.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski wrote:
I guess it all depends on how warm Feb/March are and how much snow they get, I am a fan of April skiing generally, but not sure Italy would be top of the list to visit in April. Might be best booking the time off work and leaving it late to decide where to go?

April in Selva
Historic weather in April has produced average snow depth of 113cm at the top and 47cm at the bottom of the ski area.

https://www.sno.co.uk/ski/italy/selva/snow-history/#:~:text=January%20in%20Selva%20Historic%20weather%20in%20January%20has,63cm%20at%20the%20bottom%20of%20the%20ski%20area.

So maybe we plan around that week (and start saving) and make a decision last minute... that would be more sensible ...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
From memory, the snow high up was Ok, it was the lower slopes that were slush. With a bit of planning I am sure it could be worked around ; stay high and look for north facing slopes..

Easter Sunday is the 9th of April -- the resorts will do their best to keep as many slopes open as possible..
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@sheffskibod, I don't know the Dolomites or Selva but I have skied first and second week of April a lot in France (La Pagne, 3V, etc). And if there is always plenty to ski. The variability simply comes with how high you have to stay, how late in the day it gets before it gets extremely slushy and whether there is any off piste.

And I understand the snow making in Italy is top notch so that further enhances the view.

So I think "no skiing at all" is not a possibility.

You can certainly book late for that time of the season although bear in mind the above means if you just want to go because you want to go it's unlikely to have much bearing.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Layne,
Quote:

snow making in Italy is top notch

It is but, given recent weather conditions, there could well be constraints on snow-making next season. Personally I wouldn't risk it.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My general impression is that it would be madness too. Even in mid march it's been very warm and slushy come the afternoon.

Having said that, @what...snow went the first week of April earlier this year and had a fantastic week.

Here's his trip report:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4960231&highlight=#4960231
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We've skied in April, last week of season at least twice with good conditions. Finished on a Sunday (about 14 April) bus was at 1pm so eldest child and I did loops of the Sasslong al morning on PAYG tickets. Was rock hard and deserted. Equally, have skied at Christmas/NY and only man made ribbons of white.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Been there the last week of March in '18 and '19 so one week before your target. Both times the days were sunny and hard at the gun, softening predictably as the day goes on. After lunch, you'd better like mush but it was a fabulous morning. Coverage totally fine on the pistes, and the full range off. The only lift lines were on the Marmolada boxcars, though I'm an early bird. Got one day of pretty decent new snow. We're all guessing about water and energy issues, and I'm going to make a bet. Like Warren Miller said, "if ya don't go this year, you'll be a year older next year".
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I only booked two or three days in advance and had a solid forecast of significant snow fall. The consensus on here was it would be a slushfest. Doomsayers one and all! The drive to Alta Badia was our first time using chains and the family thought the trip was a bit hairy TBH. Should have paid a bit more attention to the sat Nav rather than assuming it would stay with the way I wanted it to take us. View the next morning more than made up for it all though. It was very tiring skiing the empty pistes and getting practically no rest on the speedy lifts. The quiet restaurants with quick service and excellent food didn’t help much either so I was quite happy to finish early some days. Ryanair giving away return flights at <£100pp and a 25% discount on the hotel and lift passes all helped.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Dolomites are one of the least reliable areas for snow, especially for off-piste skiing, since weather from the North has dumped all its snow before it got there. (The pistes are meadows which can be skied with little snow, while the off-piste is mostly rocky gullies.) There is also only relatively small altitude variation so the idea of staying high is difficult. Personally I'd think about France for both early and late snow, though if the place is what matters (and I fully understand what a spectacular place it is to just be) then why not go. There will be skiing, almost certainly, at least on piste.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One of the ‘least reliable areas for snow’ but also one of the most reliable areas for skiing. It normally has more kilometres of piste open reliably every day of the season than most other parts of the alps, because of its shelter, particularly early in the season when bad weather or a lack snow is closing higher, rockier or more exposed ski areas. Late in the season there will still be plenty of skiing available but south facing runs will get very soft and some links will be broken. But a lot of people like soft snow skiing and the views and the food will be as good as ever Cool
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As an off piste skier I suppose my view is differently slanted. I have twice had to cancel holidays to the Dolomites at the last moment at great expense and go somewhere else, because there literally wasn't enough skiable snow to ski anything off piste. And that wasn't early or late season. Mushy snow I rather like unless it is so sticky no wax works.
snow report
I think you're both correct, so it could be a mostly on-piste experience, which at that time of year isn't exactly prison time.
ski holidays
The beauty of being an early in their development skier, who from the sounds of it has only skied in fridges, is that you don't good off piste conditions or all pistes to be open. Granted poo-poo weather could be a downer, hence late season is more recommended but the OP and their crew seem pretty stoked and can live with that.
snow report
the Youtube guy from Ustaria Posta in Alta Badia has videos from early April so you can take a look..

http://youtube.com/c/UstariaPosta

e.g. from 4th April 2022
http://youtube.com/v/n65TkjslP_4&list=PL02egjiq7kMAcg7MH4i2GXE2qkXAYzjMg&index=64&t=24s

14th April 2020
http://youtube.com/v/MUEMdj3aeGI&list=PL02egjiq7kMAcg7MH4i2GXE2qkXAYzjMg&index=30

2nd April
http://youtube.com/v/exh3OmejILw&list=PL02egjiq7kMAcg7MH4i2GXE2qkXAYzjMg&index=12

a few days later ?

http://youtube.com/v/-LOQJI8y2D0&list=PL02egjiq7kMAcg7MH4i2GXE2qkXAYzjMg&index=13
latest report
Too risky for late season in my opinion. Cervinia is probably the best Italian option that week but I haven’t been there. I would go somewhere high in France.
latest report
@snowymum, or somewhere high in AT
snow report
Done Cervinia, Livigno and La Thuile that week but wouldn't risk Dolomites.

Done Selva and Drei Zinnen mid March and found it a bit later than ideal ... you could get though lucky of course and have great conditions.. and all the other Italian resorts aren't as nice as the Dolomites.. but at least better food and service than France Toofy Grin

If I had to do April again I'd go Cervinia
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy