Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BA to cut 10,000 Heathrow flights

Poster: A snowHead
Looking forward to a return of BASH flight roulette! If it goes the same way a last season, just book the next available flight closest to your previous one ASAP. BA seem to give in to the gravity of a full flight once they have pulled the plug on the one you actually wanted...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62637616
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Worth remembering that with BA, if your flight is cancelled (defined as a change in flight number, a change in flight time of over 2 hours, or a change in airport at either end) you are entitled to move to any other flight on the same or similar routing within 2 years. Accepting a full refund can be the worst option when instead you can turn a cheap Wednesday flight in October into a Feb half term weekend flight.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Worth remembering that this is specifically Heathrow flights. BA fly from other airports too...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Interesting day yesterday, I couldn't see my next two Euro trips on BA ex-Heathrow in my app as there they "can't currently show all of your bookings. We're trying to fix this asap" or something like that (it did say I could view them by logging onto ba.com), but they have reappeared in the app today unchanged.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I booked for the BB from LHR back in April, before they reinstated any options from GTW. I'll be very annoyed if I lose my seat and someone who booked later, but paid more keeps theirs.

Moving to GTW will cost me a lot more for parking.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@brianatab, if they change flight number (sometimes due to plane) then you will be fine. Gatwick is easy to get to by train, it has cheap hotels and you can check in the night before. I know you would like to go on the day to minimise caring cover but it may be useful to others.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Gatwick is easy to get to by train,

Just checked It will cost me over £90 return and take over 4 hours each way. It is cheeper and faster to take easyjet to Geneva.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@johnE, he said it was easy to get to by train, not cheap. wink

And you aren’t looking at the rip off which is the Gatwick Express are you?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

And you aren’t looking at the rip off which is the Gatwick Express are you?

OK journey requires changes at New Street, Euston (to the underground), and Victoria. Not what I would call an easy journey. In fact Geneva to Bourg st Maurice by train takes about as long, is much cheeper and a lot easier.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@johnE, this is the UK we’re talking about where any train trip between non-direct connected points can be challenging.

But I think what was being said is that Gatwick is well served by frequent services (albeit from Victoria and in fact Clapham Junction or from the South Coast) and the rail station is handy to the airport, not like Luton’s which is a bus ride away.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@GlasgowCyclops, Usually plenty cheep trains to Gatwick on Friday nights, but always absolutely extortionate for the return Saturday pm. downside is no schedules available well in advance.
Plus, not keen on negotiating the underground with a ski bag Sat pm.

Other options are coach, but direct service only runs every 4-5 hours, so difficult to time with departures and arrivals. On recent trips, it has been too close to arrival time to take the risk.
If they reinstate the 6am arrival (cancelled due to Covid), it will make all early flights accessible.

The reason I prefer LHR is that I know where I can park for free and get a local bus to the airport, plus it's just over 2 hours drive, so much quicker than the train, and no worries about missing links if delayed.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
brianatab wrote:
I booked for the BB from LHR back in April, before they reinstated any options from GTW. I'll be very annoyed if I lose my seat and someone who booked later, but paid more keeps theirs.

Moving to GTW will cost me a lot more for parking.

Why would you want to fly to Holesov in the Czech republic (GTW) instead of Heathrow? Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@johnE, where is that starting from?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brianatab wrote:
@GlasgowCyclops, Usually plenty cheep trains to Gatwick on Friday nights, but always absolutely extortionate for the return Saturday pm. downside is no schedules available well in advance.
Plus, not keen on negotiating the underground with a ski bag Sat pm.

Other options are coach, but direct service only runs every 4-5 hours, so difficult to time with departures and arrivals. On recent trips, it has been too close to arrival time to take the risk.
If they reinstate the 6am arrival (cancelled due to Covid), it will make all early flights accessible.

The reason I prefer LHR is that I know where I can park for free and get a local bus to the airport, plus it's just over 2 hours drive, so much quicker than the train, and no worries about missing links if delayed.

£86.60 return Nottingham to Gatwick with one change looks pretty good value to me (without any need for the underground).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I fully appreciate that others have a tighter budget than me, but it may be worth checking out the cost of a taxi. Clearly it will cost more, but it may be an acceptable increase and is door to door.
ski holidays
@Klamm Franzer, I agree, I imagined similar roulette challenges when I saw it, a bit like when I first looked at the (new?) EJ Luton to Turin flights which -if they happen- might suit Gnarli and SOPIB.
Would anyone affected by this round of BA cancellations/ consolidation know by now though? My jan BA LHR-VCE flight still seems bookable whereas the two later flights seem to have been consolidated. They have different flight numbers but identical timings now, I am sure there were three separate flights when I booked.
snow conditions
@snowdave, Looks like you were the only one to spot the deliberate error. wink wink
should have been GTW.

@sugarmoma666, Thanks for the info, will keep it in mind in case they move me to Gatwick. Previous years have been ridiculous Sat return prices.
snow conditions
Quote:

@johnE, where is that starting from?

Midlands
I have to confess that the journey to Gatwick is most of the hassle of driving to the Alps. So I'd drive right on by and keep going. When I had to fly from Gatwick decades ago the FAO used to fly me from Birmingham to Gatwick first. It something to do with the way the UN was funded IIRC.
snow report
@brianatab, Or even LGW Cool
latest report
Confusingly LGW is GTW in National Rail speak.
snow report
@MorningGory, Just as well I'm flying from Heathrow then. rolling eyes Very Happy
snow conditions
Even more confusingly the ICAO Code (the code used on flight plans by controllers and pilots) for Gatwick is EGKK, but Luton is EGGW.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
When I had to fly from Gatwick decades ago the FAO used to fly me from Birmingham to Gatwick first. It something to do with the way the UN was funded IIRC.

Overfunded then?
latest report
@johnE, have you looked at train to Gatwick via Reading? From Birmingham via Reading is about half the price of via London, doesn't involve transfer to/from the underground, and takes about the same time.
latest report
@brianatab,
Quote:

The reason I prefer LHR is that I know where I can park for free and get a local bus to the airport,

Do tell snowHead
snow conditions
@ecureuil,
Quote:

to Gatwick via Reading?

It's £150 and return times on Saturday are nonsense if coming back on the late flight
ski holidays
@ecureuil, Does the shuttle bus from Heathrow to Reading still run? It used to be the way home from Heathrow. Mind you that never worked from quite early in the evening and I'd end up getting a taxi.

Years ago there was a direct(ish) train from Birmingham to Brighton via Gatwick. It went via Reading and took forever. I think it was even slower going around London than the M25
snow report
mozwold wrote:
@ecureuil,
Quote:

to Gatwick via Reading?

It's £150 and return times on Saturday are nonsense if coming back on the late flight

Then you need to ski on the last sat until 2pm, get a £40 share in a private transfer @4pm to Tessera. Stay local then eat in the local restaurant. PS remember to not have a starter before the worlds biggest seafood pasta dish. Happy

Then go on the cheap flight + train on Sunday
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
Moving to GTW will cost me a lot more for parking

Good luck with GTW! wink
Holešov Airport (GTW) was an old airport serving the city of Holešov in the Czech Republic. The airport opened in 1946 and closed in 2009.
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, you missed the boat on that one Very Happy
ski holidays
@mozwold, It's near to another snowHead ' flat about 2 miles south of the airport. Bus stop over the road, 10 minutes local bus, then another 10 minutes on airport service bus. Used it for the Psb and both Birthday bashes last season. Very Happy

Probably quicker than airport car park, and £100 cheaper. Cool

I could tell more, but then I might have to.........
snow conditions
@brianatab,
Quote:

I could tell more, but then I might have to.........

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
And so the fun begins

Just had an email from BA saying they have changed my outbound flight on 27th Jan from 13:20 (arriving Venice 16:40) to 17:35 (arriving Venice 21:05) and return flight on 4th Feb from 17:45 (arriving Heathrow 19:20) to 08:35 (arriving Heathrow 10:10).

If I'm not happy I have to call!

Went to manage my booking to see if I could revert to original flights online (which they are still selling incidentally), and I can, but they want an extra £54.
To go on the flight I booked and payed for 5 months ago!!!!!!!

I've had a few beers so more than a little tipsy but I'm livid - will also post on PreBB
latest report
@mozwold, why be livid? BA has probably just given you the freedom to pick any flight, any date, any similar route, for the next two years. Yes there’s a bit of hassle in calling BA but IMO that’s a small price to pay.

When this happens to me, unless it’s for a very busy period like half term weekend, I tend to leave the flight untouched (I might call BA first to ask what my options are, but don’t confirm/agree any changes, say I need to go away and check other commitments) until much nearer the date, then decide what the best flight option is, call BA and get moved to that opinion.

What is weird here is that BA is still selling your original flights, and very cheaply (about £50 each way). Looks like either it’s decided to cancel them, and not yet updated the sales system (unusual, generally I find that new sales get stopped before existing tickets are updated) or, it’s had a schedule change and reallocated flight numbers, which it treats as a cancellation and so reallocates you to an alternative flight even tho the same flight time option still exists. I’ve had this a few times and it’s an easy phone call to fix.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy