Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2022 / 2023

Poster: A snowHead
I stand corrected, they are actually free! - https://www.seetignes.com/lifts/summer
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jen:thatslaplagne, tis true other nearby resorts are busier and more lively for July and August, but therefore also more crowded.
We like summer in La Plagne. Definitely down-beat, and you do have to pay for the lifts, but you can so quickly get to places and walks with few people.
And to wake up in the morning to the distant sound of cow bells is quite charming.
We go to the mountains for peace and quiet. There are wonderful walks through the woods.
So its La Plagne for us.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When you look at the Roche webcam there is some heavy machinery up there now the season has ended. Is there a big building project planned for the summer?
https://en.la-plagne.com/discover/ski-area/webcams/roche-de-mio
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@thefatcontroller, I think it’s to do with the replacement lifts they’re building for the Glacier sector
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thefatcontroller, as chopkins13 says: new gondola to "Glacier" sector.
See https://www.skipass-laplagne.com/en/projets

Many of us don't quite understand this new endpoint, and those who have enjoyed the off-piste runs from above the Chiaupe glacier (where the present gondola ends) are particularly pissed off: now need a helicopter or go for a long walk.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Jonpim wrote:

Many of us don't quite understand this new endpoint, and those who have enjoyed the off-piste runs from above the Chiaupe glacier (where the present gondola ends) are particularly pissed off: now need a helicopter or go for a long walk.

It's a sound business decision, but very sad for keen off piste skiers indeed.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I’m more disappointed they’re also going to remove the bubble from within Belle Plagne and have the new lift stop outside the village instead. Silly French regulations.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chopkins13 wrote:
I’m more disappointed they’re also going to remove the bubble from within Belle Plagne and have the new lift stop outside the village instead. Silly French regulations.

Where's the new lift stop going to be?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Handy Turnip, out on the piste to the side of Belle Plagne, so not great for pedestrians or those carrying skis back up into the village. I think there’s talk of extending the buses into Belle Plagne as an inferior alternative to the problem. It’s really handy having the bubble between Belle Plagne and Bellecote running until midnight. Waiting for buses will just be rubbish.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks @chopkins13, that's not ideal at all.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Handy Turnip, no it’s a real shame but apparently it’s because the French have passed a law that new lifts can’t go through buildings so when they replace it they have to move it.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The moving of the glacier endpoint is a business decision, but it is also down to the changing climate and lack of snow there. Last summer, we saw so many of the summer glaciers have to close due to lack of snow - in Tignes and further afield. And we had a huge avalanche in La Plagne of tens of thousands of tonnes of snow, permafrost and ground matter. The fact is that skiing on these glaciers is damaging the environment up there, and so whilst it's a good business decision (because the glaciers won't be skiable if we continue as we are), it's also the right decision for the preservation of the Chiaupe glacier.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jonpim wrote:

....although it will mean the existing runs down from the current glacier area will stay pretty much untracked, if you are willing to skin over to make use of them. Pretty good outcome IMHO Toofy Grin

Some of the reasons for the decisions are presented in this report..

https://www.mrae.developpement-durable.gouv.fr/IMG/pdf/2022apara88_remplacementtelecabinemio_la_plagne_73-2.pdf

Quote:
The tracks on the glacier will be abandoned, access to the glacier will be possible only by ski touring.

The stated objectives of the new Roche de Mio gondola (in 2 sections) are to improve the comfort of use of the ski lifts in the Plagne-Bellecôte sector, and to develop summer tourism.

The objective of the redevelopment is not to significantly increase the use of the ski area by new skiers.

- replacement of an obsolete device: the Roche de Mio gondola with a different route
- availability of quick opening, even in the event of heavy snowfall;
- better distribution of skiers over the entire ski area:
- Need for a high flow between Plagne Bellecôte and Roche de Mio:
- enhancement of the Forcle reservoir to develop summer tourism
- preservation of the urban link between Plagne Bellecôte and Belle Plagne. 11
- And to make skiing easier for beginners
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geoffers, thank you, but is that now the plan?
The final plan?
I've only read the first few pages, but not quite what i was expecting.
chopkins13 has suggested that the intermediate stop of the new gondola would be "outside the village".
Well, if the plan is to be followed, the intermediate stop is to be a long way outside the village.
Col de Forcle anyone? Really?

I must read some more . . .
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Jonpim, another thing... the current top station is in the Champagny sector, and I'm sure I read somewhere that there may be environmental objections due to this, which may be why it's been moved to the other side of the "border"

The new top station arrives at the entrance to the "cairn" o/p route down the N. face of Bellecote to Peisey, so accessing this will be pretty direct Toofy Grin
snow report
@geoffers, “preservation of the urban link between Plagne Bellecôte and Belle Plagne”…… developer’s speak for we’ll put some buses on!
snow conditions
@chopkins13, I've read elsewhere (Remontees Mecaniques?) that the first stage of the old gondola between Plagne Bellecôte and Belle Plagne will be retained (separately to the new gondola).
@Jonpim, I think the midstation of the new gondola to Roche de Mio is somewhere in the Col de Forcle sector so that skiers can join at the midstation directly from the DMC out of Plagne Centre, without having to go down to the overcrowded Plagne Bellecote lift base.
snow report
@denfinella, well that would be a great solution in the circumstances I feel! Fingers crossed!
snow report
I think it is as much about providing access to a new 'summer' base at Col de Forcle, which can be accessed by telecabine as opposed to car, than it is about enhancing skiing. Agree that mid-station at the Col would permit skiers to access Roche de Mio from Plagne Centre via Grande Rochette. But it will also funnel everyone from Belle Plagne down to Bellecote. And it means removal of the Col de Forcle drag, which enabled an alternative way back to Belle Plagne from Plagne Centre via Bergerie. (But the drag crossed a few pistes, so there is probably also a H&S element to removing it).
latest report
@ecureuil, lots to consider isn’t there. I’m not sure how many from Belle Plagne actually get on the Roche de Mio bubble in Belle Plagne - it always seems to open later in a morning than down in Bellecote anyway and then during the day, it’s not actually that convenient if you’re already out skiing as it’s a bit of a hike and stairs to get to the Belle Plagne bubble station.
ski holidays
chopkins13 wrote:
@ecureuil, lots to consider isn’t there. I’m not sure how many from Belle Plagne actually get on the Roche de Mio bubble in Belle Plagne - it always seems to open later in a morning than down in Bellecote anyway and then during the day, it’s not actually that convenient if you’re already out skiing as it’s a bit of a hike and stairs to get to the Belle Plagne bubble station.

Yes I agree, in our last trip I think we only got on the bubble twice in the whole week, both times at Belle Plagne - and actually it was more because it was the easiest route to getting a beer (and crepe for the kids) at Les Inversens. As an access point between Bellecote and Belle Plagne, it's really useful - but (personally) from a skiing perspective I generally will plan the day so that we don't use it at all. Normally going to Roche de Mio from either Carella or Inversens lifts.

It's a pain to get to when in Belle Plagne, has big queues in Bellecote, is generally pretty slow, and feels too warm & enclosed. But just a personal opinion.
ski holidays
We never use it as it is - old, not comfortable, often queues. Just use the alternatives if going that way.

Ambivalent as to what they are doing - but can only improve from my pov.

I haven't stayed in Belle for a looong time though.
snow report
I'll try to get some photos and updates for you when the weather clears - currently raining hard again here in Plagne Centre - after hailstones yesterday!

Bring on the spring and some sunshine!
snow report
geoffers wrote:
@Jonpim, another thing... the current top station is in the Champagny sector, and I'm sure I read somewhere that there may be environmental objections due to this, which may be why it's been moved to the other side of the "border"

The new top station arrives at the entrance to the "cairn" o/p route down the N. face of Bellecote to Peisey, so accessing this will be pretty direct Toofy Grin

Yup, but not better than before. There is a great video by a local guide about all the consequences:
http://youtube.com/v/Z2nDzsCLMsY
snow report
@Jonpim,
Quote:

@geoffers, thank you, but is that now the plan?
The final plan?
I've only read the first few pages, but not quite what i was expecting.

Here's another vid (with English subtitles) describing the thinking behind the development

http://youtube.com/v/sbKR88Kkk2M
snow conditions
... and a second one by Serge Porte showing the environment / route / construction etc as @ Sept 21

http://youtube.com/v/k6CPc8aK0rg
ski holidays
From Perso Plagne

Follow the dismantling of the Bellecôte cable car
live: the Chiaupe station was demolished a few days ago (23/05) and the cables were removed.
https://www.skaping.com/la-plagne/live3200
ski holidays
Lot of snow still up there!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another good vid by Serge specifically about the impact of the new gondola on offpiste skiing:

http://youtube.com/v/4VGOtIGbSY0

Problem is not the much harder access to routes like Gros Glacier or Pianiste. Those entail massive objective dangers set off by very little rewarding skiing. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

But with the Chiaupe sector no longer maintained and secured, it's not only that what once was a little hike will require skinning in the future. Main concern is, that this won't be safe when the snow is best. Cul du Nant was a safe - and gorgeous! - option after fresh snowfalls, long before the northern runs become stable enough to ski them safely.
latest report
ski holidays
@boredsurfin, very tempting to bid until you then think about the logistics!
snow report
@chopkins13, Yep . I think there is a €500 reserve price, as well as collection must be on July 2nd but there will be lifting available to put on your transport...
latest report
@boredsurfin, No access to my back garden apart from with a humongous crane which means it would cost about £5k in total with all transport etc - somewhat extravagant for a bit of memorabilia to sit in the garden Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy