Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2022 / 2023

Poster: A snowHead
@boredsurfin, looking better on the webcams already!

I don’t know how I’m going to get any work done the next few days, I’m watching the webcam and forecasts constantly Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
boredsurfin wrote:
Snowing steadily this morning snowHead
and 0.8 on the balcony

Good news! Long may it continue - what height are you at?

Edit: ignore that, I can see that you're in Montalbert
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In les coches now and it’s snowing, perhaps a couple of inches so far. Going to try arc1800/plan peisey this morning and try to keep in the trees.
Arcs/la plagne has been heaving with people since we got here on Sunday, never known it so busy outside half term.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah,could be. Have they been making snow at Montalbert?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Mr_frosty, could feel busier due to the conditions driving more people onto fewer (higher) pistes etc?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looks like the precipitation may be falling as rain on the lower slopes right now?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
At 1800 real Scottish weather: snow, sleet, rain, wind, white-out. Rotate at will. Right now Big snow.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chopkins13 wrote:
@Mr_frosty, could feel busier due to the conditions driving more people onto fewer (higher) pistes etc?

Yes I think you could be right, much quieter today but that might be because of the weather

Sadly most of that new snow today has melted on the lower slopes, it did help freshen up some of the runs though.
More snow tonight I’m told.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@nashman, Not recently but early January they made snow day and night for 4 days - never seen that before. Most of which was pushed up into the trees for storage.
@Jonpim, Glad you have snow this afternoon we had torrential rain from 1.30, when we went to BstM shopping, where it was torrential, slowed the traffic to 50kph on the N90 at one point!
It's drizzling lightly now (+2c) hopefully will change to snow as dusk falls.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes boredsurfin and Mr_frosty, Big Snow soon turned to hail (briefly) and then rain. Relentless rain that continued into the evening soaking through all clothing and washing away all the snow that had gone before.
Overnight snow but a sprinkling. View from apartment looking a bit miserable.
And there is talk of season possibly ending early . . .
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Jonpim, that sounds grim, and you’re at 1800 aren’t you? Friday looks like the best chance for decent snow down to the bottom stations but then more rain forecast on Saturday lower down.

Oh well, even if the skiing isn’t as enjoyable as usual, I’m still looking forward to my annual pilgrimage and plenty of time in the bars and restaurants!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jonpim wrote:

And there is talk of season possibly ending early . . .

In individual villages/areas? I'm guessing that the lower areas of Montalbert and Montchavin are having a torrid time. But I assume that anything above 1900m should be okay, especially if the snow over the next few days comes good. There might even be 20-30cm for the lower areas above 1300m.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well, after a pretty ghastly day yesterday, today has turned out to be rather wonderful.
We decided to go for a walk rather than battle with the hordes.
Bus over to Bellecote and then walk back via long lunch at Dou du Praz (which was excellent).
Weather lovely: coldish (no slush) with bright sun in clear blue sky with hazy clouds coming in mid afternoon.

You get a great view of the La Plagne bowl on the walk. We noted big queues at Bellecote and busy pistes above, but no queues in Plagne Centre and pistes dewn from the Becoin lift almost empty.
Long may the hordes stay around Plagne Centre.
Also, rather than "miserable", the resort looked everywhere in excellent condition. Even the rocky gullies down from Grand Rochette are covered in snow.
So, as suggested by posters above, it may be a bit naff below 2000m, but above that it looks quite good.
(admittedly we were looking at pistes from a distance - it may be different close up)

And now most forecasts (and Handy Turnip snowHead ) are for the temperature to drop tonight and then maybe 40cm of snow tomorrow and Saturday.
I'll believe it when i see it, but things could get rather yummy by the weekend.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jonpim, Indeed all around Plagne Centre was excellent today, our route back through 1800 was on excellent piste as well. Capella (above PC) had around 8 inches of soft powder either side. The pistes are excellent all around, in fact some are in better condition than when we left in January. The off piste underneath the Colorado chairlift looks very inviting. Stopped at Au Bon Vieux Temps to catch up with some mates. Inside its as if the years of closure hadn't past. Its still its authentic old self! But the menu costs were a bit Shocked
Locals saying sleety rain down here tomorrow but lots of snow up top, fine by me I'm off to Geneva to collect some friends who are coming for the week. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just glorious out there today . Lovely sun , snow much better .
latest report
Loving the positive reports on snow conditions, keep them coming! I’m packing with a smile on my face now. Roll on Saturday and the challenge of driving up to Belle Plagne after all the snow that’s forecast between now and then Very Happy
snow report
@chopkins13, Practice mounting your chains sounds like a lot of snow between now and then! Hopefully you have got an inside parking space. +80cm of fresh snow expected by the end of the weekend
From Savoie traffic:
Quote:
Your traffic conditions for the next few days: A little less crowded on our roads, but the weather will be very rainy on Friday and Saturday with a limit of snowfall not falling below 1000m. We advise you to limit your speed and pay attention. 65,000 expected vehicles going up, 71,000 descending.
In the sense of arrivals:
Friday : RAS
Saturday: Disturbed traffic on the road network of Savoie from 12h to 20h
Sunday : RAS
In the sense of feedback:
Friday: Traffic possibly backed up at the end of the day
Saturday: Morning will be very busy until 1pm
Sunday: Travel conditions may be affected from 11am to 7pm
#circulation #savoie #tarentaise #laplagne #rlaplagne

So 6,000 less cars next week if 4 in each car that's 24,000 less people on the slopes Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@boredsurfin, we’re picking up hire car at GVA (Swiss side so will have winter tyres). Have got a 4x4 but will be asking for the chains as well - no time to practice but I’ve used once before, pain in the backside but if it gets us up the mountain…. Just planning on parking in the underground parking in Belle Plagne and suffering the extortionate charges as we’re only coming for 4 days.
ski holidays
chopkins13, beware: there is more than one type of chain.
I found that to my cost many years ago when went to Nendaz with family and then father-in-law. Two cars.
I already had chains and was experienced in their use. Father-in-law had never driven outside UK before. I got him some 2nd hand chains. Of course he needed to know how to put chains on. We practiced with my set.
It was an odd easter that year. We arrived end of March to find the place more like summer. But then all changed on Good Friday. Temperature dropped and it started snowing Big Time. One day we were sunbathing, next day building snowmen.
The day we left for home we needed chains to get out of the resort. I got mine on quickly. Father-in-law was struggling. I came over to help. I couldn't get them on either. It was snowing, it was cold, we were soaked and frozen. Muttering and moaning i eventually read the instructions.
That other set of chains went on a different way from mine. Lesson learned.
snow report
@Jonpim, I’m trawling YouTube for a refresher course now!
snow report
@Jonpim, we were also at Dou du Praz this lunchtime! But on skis, and only for a quick stop.

In Plagne Centre forecast is possibly continuous snow for more than 48 hours, starting early tomorrow morning, so next week could be really good. Unfortunately we are going home Saturday. Sad
ski holidays
Inversens was cracking today after it opened up

latest report
Nice! counting down the days until we go... Way too many still
ski holidays
Looks like it's dumping down on the higher webcams, I guess the big question today is how low it gets. Fingers crossed for a carpet of white all the way down to Montchavin and Montalbert by tomorrow morning.

Have a great day if you get out on the slopes @Jonpim, @boredsurfin.
latest report
Looking at the webcams right now it looks like the snowline is between Montchavin and Les Coches - raining in the former, snowing in the latter - so perhaps around 1,350m
latest report
Wonderful powder skiing all morning around Belle Plagne / Bellecote. Very nice snow, not wet/heavy, as we had earlier this week.

Several lifts closed due to the wind, such as Verdons Sud.

Arpette was closed due to the wind as well for most of lunchtime, but reopened a little while ago.

40 cm fresh snow expected still in the next 24h.

This morning friends of us driving up from Macot had to put on chains a little after La Roche. The road is getting black again in Bellecôte at the moment. The snowplough clearing the road is right outside the window right now.
latest report
@JulieAimeLeSki, thanks for the update, sounds promising indeed for our first day skiing on Sunday, even the chance of some sunshine on Monday!
latest report
Montalbert seems to be on the snow/rain line all day....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's already snowing again, after an afternoon with a bit more light compared to the white out morning. The road is already white again in Bellecôte.

The Mont Saint Jacques is white on all sides as well, which is great, because before the snow this week the mountain (left of Arpette lift) had definitely started wearing his summer colours. Winter is back! My boyfriend's husky is the happiest ever about this development.
snow report
And its still snowing. Straight down, no wind.
We've seen some wonderful car slithering today
Ordinary tyres, no chains, no sense.
One even tried driving up the one way system here in 1800. Got nowhere.

Today was quite good out there, but if this snow keeps going all night it could be epic tomorrow.
latest report
@Handy Turnip, how did you get on with the car park in Belle Plagne in the end? Get a space OK?
latest report
Snowed all night, a good 4 Inches of Neige a l'anglaise down here (1350m) so will be pretty good higher up . My little weather station says light snow and cloudy for the next 12 hours. It's cloudy with a drizzle of snow at the moment. Temperature on the balcony is +0.6c
latest report
Good to hear, long may it continue!
snow report
Snow good for pistes, not so good for travel.
Very slow/static traffic here for both up and down.
One car stopped at entrance to 1800 with group of 4 trying to work out how to put chains on.
Still snowing . . .
ski holidays
Keep the road reports coming - we’ll be driving up at about 4pm all being well. Currently sat in Newcastle airport waiting for our flight.
ski holidays
chopkins13 wrote:
@Handy Turnip, how did you get on with the car park in Belle Plagne in the end? Get a space OK?

No, I think the conclusion we came to on here was that you couldn't book. So we'll just be turning up and hoping there's one free even we come. Let me know if you hear differently as I'd love to have the security of a booked space!

Good luck on your travels today - hope the roads are okay. You've picked a great week!
snow report
Well, the car at 1800 entrance had been abandoned. Now the police are out and four guys are back to faffing about with chains.
Progress on the road is intermittent.

Meantime, no lifts running yet in La Plagne, though according to Seeplagne there are lifts running in Les Arcs.
snow conditions
Lots of white on even the lower webcams today - although high FL today so not sure how long that will last unfortunately.
latest report
Yes, Handy Turnip, now sleet here at 1800. And the wind blowing feels alarmingly warm.
snow report
Montalbert and Adrets lift open did one circuit in the rain, now home having a cup of tea - conditions similar to Scottish skiing Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy