Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are salopettes finished?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

I’m in the market for a new pair of ski trousers - I have some basic Dare2B salopettes and a pair of Salomon ice mania ski pants but I have a new jacket and the Salomons are too bright (I’ll probably use them still on occasion)

Whilst looking I note that most manufacturers are now in favour of a ski pant rather than salopette - what are your thoughts on this?

I like the fact salopettes stay up without being tight on the waist and my Salomons fell down when I took a stumble in Mayrhofen Very Happy

Am I better off sticking with the pants given there seems to be a bigger selection? Most salopettes I see now are big bibs.

Also the jacket I have is a north face chakal in bright blue so I was going to get some chakal trousers in black - any experience with these? I considered Patagonia, Salomon, HH etc but the NF seem to go better with the jacket
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh, and thanks in advance
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Get some Braces for your pants (which is what I have..)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
most ski pants come with braces (or you can purchase separately), but there are satill some bib/salopettes out there.

https://www.sportpursuit.com/clothing/trousers-shorts-tights?lower_body_type=Trousers&sport=Skiing&sp_nav=4_BySport_Skiing_Bottoms_Trousers%2526Salopettes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Mcpayner, I use these https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/mens-carbide-bibs-277564 I also use pants with braces.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Mcpayner, But not at the same time…
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You can still get ski pants with a bib - but they are much rarer.

Ski Pants come with a variety of ways to adjust fit:

- Some come with braces - often detachable.

- Most have elastic Velcro adjusters at the sides - and belt loops (belts can be bought cheaply on Amazon)

- A few come with a simple - usually nylon ribbon - belt.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all - I’ll probably go with a belt rather than braces for a normal pair
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I nearly always use both belt and braces - the former keeps 'em nice and snug around the waistband to keep things tucked in, the latter keeps them up regardless of how tight the waist is. It can vary between trousers, but of the three or four pairs I use regularly I think I've got B&B on all of them.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Salopettes with braces suck. Why would anyone want a six hour wedgie?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/2453709
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I don't think that salopettes truly went away - they just got rebranded as bibs and came back with a more fashionable look from the likes of Flylow, Norrona etc.

The old bulkily insulated shiny looking things aren't to be missed anyway IMO. Dare2B still do a fair range of pants with braces etc. The seam quality isn't the greatest but you can always find them on discount somewhere.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Decathlon do a couple of pairs of ski pants with braces in their Simond range.

They are designed for mountaineering/ski touring and have an internal gaiter.

The soft shell ones are most excellent and not too spendy!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I suffer from a problem… which is a non existent behind! I absolutely must have braces (or at least a belt), as my trousers just slide off. Actually, I also need to jury-rig something to hold the shoulder straps together too.

If I buy the wrong brand of jeans, they end up splitting in the crotch very rapidly because of this. I might be in a minority, but proper salopettes still have a customer here snowHead

(Actually for winter climbing, they are also essential, but that is no longer my problem!)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

If I buy the wrong brand of jeans, they end up splitting in the crotch very rapidly because of this

I've been trying to envisage why this should be. Do you have a permanent wedgie from such a high and tight belt? And is the resulting premature wear on your tackle not worse than that on the jeans?
snow conditions
My sailing oilies are "bib style", which is essential, but they do have flap at the back - though even so trying to use the heads in anything other than a flat calm presents some problems.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

If I buy the wrong brand of jeans, they end up splitting in the crotch very rapidly because of this

I've been trying to envisage why this should be. Do you have a permanent wedgie from such a high and tight belt? And is the resulting premature wear on your tackle not worse than that on the jeans?

The crotch ends up low, rapper style, and is hence exposed to a larger range of leg separation.

I think I understand what I wrote, but could certainly also draw a sketch. Perhaps thankfully, Snowheads does not give the option though snowHead
snow report
@Mcpayner, Belt & Braces is the way forward.
The braces being the most imporant.
Sometimes its a good idea to cross your braces to stop them slipping off your shoulders.

Unfortunately I lost my favourite D belt in the luggage X-Ray machine at Gare du Nord.
It went in and never came out.
latest report
Be thankful you weren't wearing it at the time, @DrLawn.
latest report
@pam w,
I had to hold onto my pants all the way home. Sad
latest report
If happy with a Shell Pant and fit the available sizes sizes - these Berghaus at TK Maxx have 67% off....and if not suitable, can be returned to any store: https://www.tkmaxx.com/uk/en/men/activewear/outdoor/black-hydroshell-shell-ski-trousers/p/31399409

They even have free delivery.
snow conditions
I think it is all a devious American plot to rename all trousers, salopettes etc. "pants" leaving us English wondering what to call our pants.

When I see the term "ski pants" my mind always goes to https://wipeoutstore.com/products/hop-n-down-boxer-shorts-pants or incontinence pants.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
I think it is all a devious American plot to rename all trousers, salopettes etc. "pants" leaving us English wondering what to call our pants.

When I see the term "ski pants" my mind always goes to https://wipeoutstore.com/products/hop-n-down-boxer-shorts-pants or incontinence pants.

Good point, well put. Toofy Grin
snow report
johnE wrote:

Quite so. And it's even worse when they singularize [sic] it, like:
Old Fartbag wrote:
If happy with a Shell Pant...
ski holidays
Quote:

Old Fartbag wrote:

I thought that was refering to my beathing during a mogul run.
latest report
I struggle with the French "un jean".
latest report
johnE wrote:

We should reciprocate in-kind and introduce them to “panties”. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
johnE wrote:

Old Fartbag wrote:

Here in Ireland some folks double down and use the phrase "a pair of pantses".
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Puzzled Puzzled Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
johnE wrote:
... "pants" leaving us English wondering what to call our pants. ...
Odd. Maybe the word works differently in different parts of England? Pants have always been... pants, at least for my part of the UK. "salopettes" sounds like a foreign word for dungarees. Never heard anyone other than old English skiers use that term, although of course English isn't prescribed by law or anything, so they're welcome to it.

On the OP, I think the word is out of fashion, but the products are still available.

I started to have to use the braces once obesity became fashionable - adult-cut pants with honest sizing are almost impossible to get any more.
snow report
pam w wrote:
My sailing oilies are "bib style", which is essential, but they do have flap at the back - though even so trying to use the heads in anything other than a flat calm presents some problems.

Try a shewee. My other half wears bibs and swears by it for convenience in the back country. Looks a bit strange in use though Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

Try a shewee

Virtually impossible with one hand. And do they do a shepoo?
snow report
We did discuss its potential for that use case but so far untested Eh oh!
snow report
Laughing And where, on a boat in a seaway, would you direct the flow? And what would you do with the nasty thing afterwards? Might as well sit down....once plonked on the quite comfortable seat, I then have a sturdy handle to hang on to. The difficult bit is unbuttoning the back flap thing with one hand. Once that's done, the rest is fairly straightforward. Fortunately the heads in my cabin faces fore and aft. It would be much harder on one which faced sideways! And it's easier for women, really - some men struggle with the idea of sitting down to pee. Feel it's an insult to their manhood or something.
snow conditions
I’m no nautical expert but do enjoy fishing from a kayak. When nature calls, just go over the side ! There’s a large body of water there, it’s not gonna make much difference.

Anyway, it comes in a case, goes in the pack with the shovel and probe, well away from the sandwiches and flask of tea.
latest report
hang11 wrote:
I’m no nautical expert but do enjoy fishing from a kayak. When nature calls, just go over the side ! There’s a large body of water there, it’s not gonna make much difference.

Anyway, it comes in a case, goes in the pack with the shovel and probe, well away from the sandwiches and flask of tea.

I was bursting for a wee alone in a catamaran a few days ago. Since there were people watching, I vaguely considered exploiting the mesh trampoline… I reckon you’d get away with it snowHead
snow report
A couple of weeks ago i got up on to a ridge to be confronted with a view of mrshang11 standing there taking a leak just like a guy would. Stood bolt upright, strapped into a split board.

Was very very weird TBH.
ski holidays
Hoss0610 wrote:
Decathlon do a couple of pairs of ski pants with braces in their Simond range.

They are designed for mountaineering/ski touring and have an internal gaiter.

The soft shell ones are most excellent and not too spendy!

I have a pair of those - a sort of lined shell with braces built in and reinforced area to zip over ski boots. I wear them over thermals. They are great.
ski holidays
Quote:

Stood bolt upright, strapped into a split board.

Laughing On a yacht, everyone should sit down. Traditionally the heads were over the stern. Not possible for a woman with any shred of dignity, and not advisable when you have a dinghy on davits. Even for men, standing up holding a backstay with one hand and your willy with the other can lead to the sad "found drowned flies open" event. The mesh trampoline would be fine I guess, @JamesHJ, just sit and look as though you're taking a rest.
snow report
There was a story on this forum a few years ago about a lady who needed a wee while skiing. She skied into woods and without getting off her skis lowered her trousers (and one must assume pants as well) squatted and began. Unfortuneatly she had not checked she was totally level and was shocked to discover that she skied gently back and out onto the piste.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy