Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lufthansea economy classic booking and ski carriage.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
I have recently booked a flight through Lufthansa using their economy classic flight package. I have registered my ski carriage and now my ticket is showing as having 'special baggage'.

From what I can gather you can have two lots of luggage. A carry on to go in the overhead and a ski bag (under 200cm). Both these must not be over 23kg in total. In the ski bag it should only include ski equipment (helmet, ski's, poles, boots). My question is, is this for insurance purposes incase my equipment goes missing? My ski bag is going to feel baggy and would like to pad it up with atleast some tshirts and layers?

Did anyone use lufthansea last season? Did their ski baggage get checked at check in? Any help or recommendations would be fantastic.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@red,
I used Lufthansa three times last season. As I recall, luggage included with the economy fare was 1 x 23kg checked bag, one carry-on bag and one lap-top bag.
Free winter sports equipment was a Sportube, in which I put two pairs of skis, poles, skins, probe, shovel handle, bags of gloves and socks, other loose clothes, boot dryer and pretty much whatever would fit. I put boots in my checked bag but understand I could have also taken a boot bag, which will probably go in the hold.
I was asked what was in the Sportube, once I had said skis there was no further interest. It was weighed.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 16-08-22 15:52; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@red, yep, I sometimes fly with Lufthansa and have recently booked a flight to Munich for a ski trip this season on an economy classic fare. In addition to the carry on cabin bag I'll be taking a hold bag (maximum allowance 23kg) plus skis and poles in a Sportube. Like @Dr.Snow I'll also be putting my ski boots in my main bag (it makes it easier only having two wheeled bags to move around) but I believe they also allow you to take a separate boot bag as part of the ski bag allowance.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
OK thanks for your help.
I don't own a sport tube. Just a ski roller bag.
So I was thinking a Cabin Roller Bag (one that fits ski boots in and can go in the overhead) and a dakine Roller ski bag.

Anyone with any experience with Roller bags and lufthansa?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@red, I've taken a double roller bag on Lufthansa without problems, as my only item of checked luggage - had my skis plus all my kit etc.

I'd check the hand luggage rules though, iirc Lufthansa have a fairly low weight limit (8 kg) and whilst my hand luggage has never been weighed, it has been visually checked. Saying that, my hands luggage is usually my backpack with boots and a full set of ski gear so it's not tiny or light, but it does look smaller than a typical carry on case.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@mgrolf, spot on that. Thank you.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
Anyone with any experience with Roller bags and lufthansa?
No, just a normal soft ski bag containing two pairs of skis, ski backpacks, clothes, thermos flasks, food for holiday use and more. Never had an issue. It just gets weighed (generally 15-20kg depending on the trip) and is then dropped at bulky luggage no problem.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Guys, where do you get you Sportube from, is there a better brand to get or is Sportube the actual brand?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They make them; you may find uk distributors. https://www.sportube.com/

I used them for years for multiple snowboards, having had baggage handlers destroy many snowboard bags (which to this day line the inner walls of my double garage). These days... snowboard design is better, so I carry only one. I went back to (lighter) soft cases a few years back and so far it's been fine.

The risk with Sporttubes is that the connexion between the two halves of the case is hard for TSA type baggage handlers to cope with.
I have had my case come out in two separate halves, so there's that risk.

I don't think there's a better hard case brand, or if there is I don't know it.

Quote:
.... Both these must not be over 23kg in total. In the ski bag it should only include ski equipment (helmet, ski's, poles, boots). My question is, is this for insurance purposes incase my equipment goes missing? My ski bag is going to feel baggy and would like to pad it up with atleast some tshirts and layers?
No. They are simply trying to avoid people cheating and behaving like they have 56Kgs allowance. Pad the bag out, don't exceed 23Kgs, and it's all good. The Montreal convention etc cover their liability and they can't get out of that. If you choose to take additional insurance (I certainly don't), that's a different contract and it depends what you're insuring exactly.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gaz_H wrote:
Guys, where do you get you Sportube from, is there a better brand to get or is Sportube the actual brand?

Ski Bartlett stock them: https://www.skibartlett.com/ski-equipment-c1/ski-luggage-backpacks-c10/ski-bags-c38/sportube-1pr-hard-ski-case-212cm-black-p6818/s34066
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy