Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2022 / 2023

Poster: A snowHead
Time to look forward to the new season, hopefully uninterrupted and blessed with bounteous snow. Please post snow reports and general resort discussion in this thread.

Big news for the coming winter is the significant reduction in season pass prices, dropping to 730 Euros for the Paradiski pass. That’s a welcome saving over the last few years.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looking forward to new developments in Les Arcs, there has been some recent presentations by the local mayor on improvements* at Les Arcs, the PowerPoint presentation can be viewed here:

https://fr.calameo.com/read/0056896169a0065c64ba0?page=1&fbclid=IwAR0kXCATuMEEDgxUaBlCdIHkQrhXLgrSCapKEyCDqTlqMBvbIVWP3-5kbOM

* More details of some of the refurbishment of the Villards section of Arc 1800 can be seen here:

http://www.leforumdeparadiski.fr/download/file.php?id=9755
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One wonders what happened to @snowcrazy ?? - hasn't posted for ages....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rob@rar, Welcome back!

Reports in from 1950 say it's been a bumper summer. It would be good to see the municipality take that on board and extend the season to 10 weeks (rather than the current Cool - I can see that certain services are already doing that: let's make it across the board.

But the key slide in that deck for me was confirmation of the rumour of the 40% discount on season passes which would be sweet. But I had heard it was being discussed as for locals and property owners - or did you read it as a generic price drop, for everyone?

I'll converse via PM on projected travel dates (although it's still a bit up in the air)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rob@rar, Cool
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just had it confirmed by someone who attended the presentation on 7th August: the new season ticket prices are for all.

Which, given last year's weekly / fortnightly prices, and assuming no further increase on those means a cutover point of about 15 days.

Previously, and including early-bird planning, I think it was about 21 days - so that's nice.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Newsletter from the domain today:
Les Arcs Newsletter
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Exciting to have the 22/23 thread going. I’m eagerly counting down the days. We fly out from Australia on the second day of the new year and after a few days in Paris we’ll be in Arc 1800 (Les Lauzieres) from 7th to 28th of January.
If anyone is around it would be great to catch up for a ski or beer.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is it likely that a taxi would be available early morning for a trip from Arc 1800 to Bourg mid winter? My wife and daughter want to do an overnight train trip to Lyon while we're based in Arc 1800. They'd want to get a train that leaves a bit before the funicular starts.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Our plans at the moment are that we will be in Les Arcs from Dec 17 to 31st and March 18th to April 1st. As usual we probably wont actually be doing Saturday to Saturday but do a midweek to midweek when travel is easier and cheeper to sort out. We may manage some other times but it depends on work commitements and will definately not include the midwinter school holidays.

And I'm sorry @sbooker, when you are in Les Arcs we'll be joining the Australians in Japan. Otherwise I'd love to meet up.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@sbooker, taxis will be fine to catch the early trains. My daughter had to do that twice this summer from 1950 as trains to the airport left before the funi would have got them there.

https://www.taxibourgsaintmaurice.com/ are about €60 from 1800 to station. Speak good English, reliable, our 'goto' company.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alarming pictures appearing on line with a fire near the Funi in Bourg, hope it doesn't spread too much.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
johnE wrote:
Our plans at the moment are that we will be in Les Arcs from Dec 17 to 31st and March 18th to April 1st. As usual we probably wont actually be doing Saturday to Saturday but do a midweek to midweek when travel is easier and cheeper to sort out. We may manage some other times but it depends on work commitements and will definately not include the midwinter school holidays.

And I'm sorry @sbooker, when you are in Les Arcs we'll be joining the Australians in Japan. Otherwise I'd love to meet up.

I’m doubting travel to Japan for tourists will be possible in January 2023 unfortunately. I intend to be there for 5 weeks in January/February 2024. I’ll go after the Australian school holidays to avoid the crowds.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Arctic Roll,
Great. Thanks.
I’m thinking I’ll use a taxi for our days out to Tignes/Val too. It seems there is only a few minutes between the first funicular ride and the first bus to Tignes. There’s six of us so a maxi taxi will be relatively economical too.
Bus to La Rosiere seems to be timed right. I’m even contemplating a day to Three Valleys. Train to Moutiers and a taxi to one of the lower villages? A big day no doubt but worth it? I guess we’ll see how we’re going.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dramatic shots of last night's fire

https://www.ledauphine.com/faits-divers-justice/2022/08/27/bourg-saint-maurice-un-incendie-se-declare-a-proximite-du-funiculaire

Photo 2 shows it's proximity to the Funi, which is undergoing a major renovation.
snow report
Thread bookmarked...
snow conditions
albob wrote:
One wonders what happened to @snowcrazy ?? - hasn't posted for ages....

I saw him a few weeks ago in Bourg.

He's well, just been very busy Smile
latest report
Just received an intersting email about renaming streets in Les Arcs. It pointed me to this site from the Commune of Bourg st Maurice https://www.bourgsaintmaurice.fr/demarches-administratives/adressage.html and this rather nice interactive map https://q-cartov4.sig.eu.com/index.php/view/map/?repository=bsm73p&project=168_ADRESSAGE_BG_ST_MAURICE.

I see for example the main street through Arcs 1600 is called Allee Charlotte Perriand and the place I always refered to as la place de l'arbre mort isn't actually called that any more
ski holidays
Yep, our apartment is in Bourg and they've new named our street and added a number to the actual block rather than just the name. No idea why?
snow report
I wonder if they will put up street signs.
snow conditions
We've had a shiny new sign for our road Smile So I'd have thought so.
latest report
latest report
johnE wrote:

I see for example the main street through Arcs 1600 is called Allee Charlotte Perriand and the place I always refered to as la place de l'arbre mort isn't actually called that any more

a topless pic of old Charlotte here: https://www.mobilier-design-occasion.fr/magazine/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Charlotte-perriand.jpg
ski holidays
@davidof,
Tease.
ski holidays
News from the Maire in Bourg (translation by Google):

Quote:
On June 30, the municipal council of Bourg Saint Maurice - Les Arcs voted on the rates of ski packages "Gens du Pays", so that its inhabitants can ski the Arcs at a reasonable price (15 € for 3-15 years / 245 € for 16-74 years old).

The State has filed an appeal against this decision before the Administrative Court on August 12, 2022, jeopardizing its validity, on the grounds that these preferential rates are contrary to the principle of equality of public service users. This resort threatens the purchasing power of our residents and the attractiveness of our territory for seasonal workers.

The municipal team will not give up or stop its fight to preserve this right to ski for the local people. The deposition by the municipality of defense memory on September 12 is the next step in this struggle to defend the interests of the inhabitants and of the whole territory. The Administrative Court's decision is expected to be delivered in the fall.
ski holidays
I see that there are some tiny changes in Les Arcs for this winter.

A lift has been installed to take you up to the TransArc lift from the revised bus station and to make it easier for the residents of that area to get to the lift. I suppose this will take the pressure of the Jardin Alpin lift used by people getting the bus to 1800 to start skiing

After 2 years of renovation I see the Cachette hotel has now reopened as a 4* hotel. It looks good but very expensive. For example the week from December 17 they are charging €418.00 per room per night, about the same as a 2 person apartment for a week. Mind you you do get a buffet dinner and breakfast at that price. I think this is just about the rate of the Taj-i Mah in 2000.

Does anyone have any more news?
snow report
johnE wrote:

After 2 years of renovation I see the Cachette hotel has now reopened as a 4* hotel. It looks good but very expensive. For example the week from December 17 they are charging €418.00 per room per night, about the same as a 2 person apartment for a week. Mind you you do get a buffet dinner and breakfast at that price.

That would explain why it disappeared as an option from Crystal, having been on their books for many years.

IIRC It was a Belambra Hotel....but it now sounds too expensive for a holiday club.
snow conditions
@Old Fartbag, I think it still is a Belambra hotel and Crystal are still offering https://www.crystalski.co.uk/ski-holidays/bookaccommodation?productCode=023436&tab=overview&noOfAdults=2&noOfChildren=0&childrenAge=&duration=7&flexibleDays=1&airports%5B%5D=BHX&flexibility=true&noOfSeniors=0&when=17-12-2022&pkg=1222642369/3/350/7&tra_o=1232539794/3925971&tra_i=1232539820/3925972&units%5B%5D=001357:RESORT&packageId=023436FRGM019616712352000001671235200000TOM762816718400000001671840000000TOM7629DD011222642369/3/350/7&index=7&multiSelect=true&brandType=C&bb=HB&room=&isVilla=false&searchType=SKI&durationCode=1415&rmpc=1|2|0|0|0|&rmtp=DD01&rmbb=HB&fc=n&greatDealDiscount=0&bb=HB&price=pp

At a price
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE wrote:
@Old Fartbag, I think it still is a Belambra hotel and Crystal are still offering https://www.crystalski.co.uk/ski-holidays/bookaccommodation?productCode=023436&tab=overview&noOfAdults=2&noOfChildren=0&childrenAge=&duration=7&flexibleDays=1&airports%5B%5D=BHX&flexibility=true&noOfSeniors=0&when=17-12-2022&pkg=1222642369/3/350/7&tra_o=1232539794/3925971&tra_i=1232539820/3925972&units%5B%5D=001357:RESORT&packageId=023436FRGM019616712352000001671235200000TOM762816718400000001671840000000TOM7629DD011222642369/3/350/7&index=7&multiSelect=true&brandType=C&bb=HB&room=&isVilla=false&searchType=SKI&durationCode=1415&rmpc=1|2|0|0|0|&rmtp=DD01&rmbb=HB&fc=n&greatDealDiscount=0&bb=HB&price=pp

At a price

Thanks - it must have only been included very recently, as I was looking to book it this summer for next year. I was in it just before Covid struck - and then it became unavailable. Crystal's prices have been rising recently, but if booked early, with a buy one lift pass and get one free offer, I suspect it would be reasonably affordable. My only issue with it, was they made no effort to accommodate my Vegan Daughter, despite saying they would make "every effort" (Code for "No effort at all").
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
A lift has been installed to take you up to the TransArc lift from the revised bus station and to make it easier for the residents of that area to get to the lift.

Some photos of the work, via a friend. I think they are installing escalators (and an elevator?) in the new building, which looks like it being built in the same place as the external staircase used to be to climb up to the TransArc gondola station. Will make getting to the gondola a bit easier for some people coming from that part of the resort. Here are some photos of the construction work and the groundworks around the TransArc. Apparently the replacement TransArc gondola won't enter service until December 2024, which I think is a year later than I thought?

johnE wrote:
Does anyone have any more news?
Just spotted on the Les Arcs website that they are using the garage for the Varet gondolas (at the top station) for some sort of art installation. When the garage is empty because all the gondolas are installed on the cables you'll be able to enter to see the projected light show inside the garage. That plus the restaurant, viewing platform and Zipwire that was installed last year make the Aiguille Rouge mid station quite the destination!
latest report
For those of us who frequent the Arpette Restaurant, they seem to be doing some refurbishment works at the moment, including the full-service restaurant part and maybe on the terrace as well. It's often my last stop of the day before heading for home, which can be see from the Arpette terrace and is just a gentle slide away after a cold beer.

Autumnal view from the terrace which I like, and not only because I can see my apartment in Arc 1800.

snow report
@rob@rar, I noticed the work on the Arpette restaurant when I was there in the summer. They seemed to be ripping out the iconic seating in the served area and it looks as if the swimming pool has gone for good.

The escalators will save the drag from the lift pass office to the lift entrance which is a good thing. Though a rplacement for the Transarc is very welcome I've discovered I very rarely ever use it. Carrolay gives a nicer way to Arc 2000 or in my case Clocheret.

ps for some reason I cannot see your photographs
ski holidays
@rob@rar, Do you ever do the Wednesday night evening meals at the Arpette. If so we could meet up there again next season.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
@rob@rar, Do you ever do the Wednesday night evening meals at the Arpette. If so we could meet up there again next season.
I’ve not done the Wednesday evening sessions, but it would be good to meet up again. Will liaise closer to the season.
latest report
johnE wrote:
ps for some reason I cannot see your photographs
Sorry about that, they are hosted on Facebook, on the Les Arcs owners group. I think they are viewable by anyone, but I’ll double check to see the permissions.
snow report
Bourg St Maurice Marie has confirmed that due to the ongoing court case regarding the sale of heavily discounted season passes for local residents, the sale of season passes to the general public is delayed until mid-November. They stated on their Facebook page:
Quote:

Waiting for decision from the court

Last August 12, the deliberation on ski packages (voted unanimously on June 30 by the municipal council of Bourg Saint Maurice - Les Arcs) was deferred by the Prefecture of Savoie. As a result, the process of selling seasonal packages is thus suspended.

We won't be able to get back to you with any new information on this subject until mid-November, and we are sincerely sorry. Thank you for being patient until that date, when we hope to have some good news to announce.

The defense of our inhabitants and their quality of life remains our priority!
(auto translation)
snow conditions
Is anyone interested in this event.
https://yurplan.com/event/UNLIMITED-FOLIE/90687#/

That is another 200€ I've saved Very Happy
ski holidays
Sorry, I forgot to say that I am not going to any of them
latest report
Arpette has been bought by the company who own Base Camp Hotel and lots of restaurants. I've heard the price tag was in the millions for the Arpette! Not sure exactly what their plan is with it.
ski holidays
timlongs wrote:
Arpette has been bought by the company who own Base Camp Hotel and lots of restaurants.
I thought that was the case based on their Facebook page. Do you know if they own anything else around Les Arcs? Refurbishing the Arpette will be nice, but I hope it doesn't lead to an increase in prices or a move away from a reasonable value self-catering option.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy