Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 22/23 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Looks like snow possible over the Solden weekend 22/23rd?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
https://wepowder.com/en/forum/topic/285427

It has been dry and warm in the Alps for a while now. For Austria, October 2022 is likely to finish in the top-3 warmest October months, with a possibility of even becoming the warmest October ever recorded (more info here). Large-scale significant snowfall with a low snowline is unfortunately not shown on the weather charts at the moment, but due to an approaching low-pressure area, the higher-lying parts of the Western Alps will get quite a bit of precipitation in the coming days. The southwesterly flow will keep it warm, so in the areas below 3000 metres most of it will fall as rain.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snowing in the Washington Cascades this evening. Maybe 20cm-30cm over the next two days. Similar amounts forecast for the Central Oregon Cascades. Has been quite warm in October (mid 20's C), so don't see it sticking around for long. Ground is too warm.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I just posted the below on another forum. It's about my sub tropical city of Brisbane Australia.

This continuing La Nina weather pattern is delivering extremely unseasonal rain to Brisbane area. We usually get no rain in August and September and October is usually just the very start of the storm season. (Storm being afternoon thunderstorm that rolls through for about half an hour and dumps an inch of rain at best). This spring has seen 10 inches in August (average about 30ml or just over 1 inch), 9 inches in September (average about 1 inch) and we're having another event now that will see 8 inches over three days. I've not seen rain at this time of year like this ever. In 2007 we did have some rain in August and a follow up in October. I remember it well as it broke a long running drought here in south east Queensland. Our drinking water storage dams got down to 11% in the July of 2007. Things were looking dire. Interestingly that drought and water shortage caused the water authorities to have the dams* at 160% capacity until 2010/11 when we had huge flooding through the city that affected thousands of homes. The dams were too full to properly function for flood mitigation as they were designed for after the 1974 flood event.

*Water is being released from Wivenhoe and Somerset dams this week so we're better prepared for a wetter than normal wet season this summer. Brisbane flooded last year and we don't need a repeat this year.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@kitenski, no snow looking likely unfortunately. There was a cold snap in mid September. I had few mornings of looking at white mountains on the way into work but that is all gone. Generally warm and sunny autumn weather, golden trees and small amounts of rain. Good for wandering in the mountains less so for prospects of sliding down them. Apparently some of the Sölden races have been cancelled due to it being too warm, even Zermatt/Cervinia seems to be using artificial snow for an early season race there.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Took the dog for a hike this morning. A few centimeters of fresh for the pooch to run around in. Snow level at about 1,200 meters in the Cascades this weekend.

ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When do the high resorts in the French Alps tend to get their first meaningful snowfalls down to resort levels? Got a trip to VT at start of January so need to know when to start my obsessive compulsive webcam watching!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ManiaMuse, meaningful you ask ? In case of VT Nov onwards but sometimes in a dry year not till Dec/Jan leaving the snowmaking to do they heavy lifting
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ManiaMuse wrote:
When do the high resorts in the French Alps tend to get their first meaningful snowfalls down to resort levels? Got a trip to VT at start of January so need to know when to start my obsessive compulsive webcam watching!

November. Although if you’re there in Jan not much point looking until a couple of weeks before
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The worry this year must be the high surface water sea temperatures. The Atlantic and North seas look particularly warm and the continuing warm Autumn temperatures won’t be helping that. Warm sea temperatures will tend to moderate any northerly outbreaks at least in the first part of winter.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Peter S, I was told I was a profit of doom for pointing this out a few weeks back but think you are right. Current conditions seem to be proving the point though we can hope it might change.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
I was told I was a profit of doom for pointing this out a few weeks back
Shame you couldn't prophet from betting on it... wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Isn't it far too early to worry about this, it pretty much always snows up there in the end doesn't it?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mheadbee, this is the snowheads obsessive weather watching thread!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Next week it’s November. Look at the forecast temps for Innsbruck https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/u22hgmjpx#?date=2022-10-26
The October average max is half the 23c forecast. At some stage it must drop.
ski holidays
The forecast here is for a tropical 25 degrees on Saturday with temperatures dropping in the following days, though not to real winter levels. No sign of any precipitation beyond the odd raindrop. Not looking good for early season racing or indeed skiing (less than a month before Ischgl & Obergurgl are due to open).
latest report
The consensus from the many different agencies and weather gurus was that Autumn across Western Europe would be Dry’ish and above average temps , it has been , and that as we move into Winter it will continue in that pattern but with some cold interludes , nobody is suggesting above average Rainfall/snowfall this winter. I hope they are wrong but weather patterns have a habit of being difficult to break.
snow conditions
Peter S wrote:
Next week it’s November. Look at the forecast temps for Innsbruck https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/u22hgmjpx#?date=2022-10-26
The October average max is half the 23c forecast. At some stage it must drop.

Yes, it's lovely and warm. No need to put the heating on yet and the washing can still be dried outside.

October/November is often warm and sunny. Sometimes there is snow – we had some about a month ago – but it doesn't hang around more than a few days. Waiting for winter in autumn is an exercise in disappointment. But the winter will come, it always does.
snow conditions
@Rob Mackley, This website is forecasting above average precipitation for the Southern half of the alps, below average for the Northern half, ski specific bit at the bottom, although their diagram of where there will be 'drought improvement' covers pretty much all of the main ski areas so there's not no hope for the season. For the record, I have no idea how accurate accuweather's long range forecasts have been in the past

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-forecasts/accuweather-2022-2023-europe-winter-forecast/1259417
snow report
@rambotion, Yep I’ve seen this type of pattern in other years can’t remember if they were LaNina years . This suggests lots of Genoa Lows which will be great for the Southern French alps , south of the Alpine ridge and the other southern alpine ranges .
ski holidays
@rambotion, fair to say that all LRFs only have relatively low confidence that said they may help identify broad patters or trends (but even then can be pretty marginal). Still interesting to watch and see how they evolve.

Signs the mild weather pattern may shift as we go into November.

snow conditions
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
I was told I was a profit of doom for pointing this out a few weeks back
Shame you couldn't prophet from betting on it... wink

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
munich_irish wrote:
@Peter S, I was told I was a profit of doom for pointing this out…

Are you sure? Sounds more like a description you are applying to yourself. Might fit of course, but can’t see anyone else describing you as that.
latest report
Winter is coming. Snowvember on its way snowHead
snow report
Quote:
Winter is coming. Snowvember on its way
Let's hope so - almost all of Europe is just about tropical at the moment... Confused
snow report
@nozawaonsen, there might have been a little bit of poetic licence (& spelling!) but

nozawaonsen wrote:
Well that’s the season pretty much written off right there I’d say… And only mid September. But there you go.

GFS is somewhat optimistic for the end of the forecast period ECM less so
snow report
It’s that time of year where I start stalking this thread, I guess it beats last year and stalking travel restrictions for travelling to Austria
ski holidays
Snow can be found at the moment.

My daughter is in Austria at the moment on the Pitztal Glacizer for a training week.

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
something else related to the weather, with it being warmer than normal meaning ground temps higher than usual for autumn, when we do get a dump would that be cause for concern in creating a PWL in the snow pack with the higher ground than air temp?
ski holidays
Hopefully Snow-forecast.com is correct and things are finally cooling down in the next week or so - eg freezing level down to around 1850m in France. (See Val D'Isere forecast below.)

That's down from a balmy (if not barmy...) 15C tomorrow Shocked

ski holidays
Be interesting to see if this has any accuracy at all!

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-forecasts/accuweather-2022-2023-europe-winter-forecast/1259417?fbclid=IwAR3RgPveKIvrPcKYRWg46s-6tbWkEHT7bkiSVdFWNGI5L8AWLaat2AdSEhA

snow report
Fascinating @kitenski. With our particular interest in St Gervais, it looks as if that lies around the boundary between "excellent" an "poor" with no half measures. Poor is a worry, snow cover similar to the British Pennines won't support much skiing.
snow report
What is the significance of the operational (green) being a massive outlier to all the other lines?
ski holidays
@BobinCH, it means you can’t have much confidence in it.
snow conditions
This on 06z (albeit in FI so don’t pay too much attention), would be rather a good set up for cold and snow.

In the more reliable timeframe temperatures dropping from current highs by nearly 15C over next week.
ski holidays
@kitenski, that seems to be similar to longer term forecasts coming out from ECM & the UK Met Office. The latest ECM winter forecast is included in this article https://www.severe-weather.eu/long-range-2/winter-season-2022-2023-forecast-october-update-united-states-canada-europe-fa/ . The suggestions have been below average snow amounts for the central alps, above average in the Julian alps & northern Balkans and perhaps OK in the Italian alps (which would be a change from the past couple of years). None of this precludes episodes of decent snow anywhere but does suggest that those episodes might be less common than we would wish. Norway might be a good option once mid winter has passed.
snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:
@BobinCH, it means you can’t have much confidence in it.

In the control or the others? The control seems to point to another heatwave. The other runs put some hope in an early November opening which would be nice snowHead

snow report
@BobinCH, the thick green line is the operational (so that’s the one which feeds automatic forecasts), but what your seeing here is that later in that run (which has been overtaken now in any case) is that despite it climbing quite aggressively at the end up the run it isn’t supported by the rest of the pack. So you treat it with low confidence. Obviously it’s at the far end of the run (FI) so all outcomes are relatively low confidence (even more so of course if you are talking about LRFs, but that’s a digression too far for a fine autumnal day).
snow conditions
Never mind thick green lines, FIs and LRFs...all we wanna know nozawaonsen is.... it gonna snow or what ? Laughing
latest report
Nice article on wepowder this morning on ensemble forecasting:
https://wepowder.com/en/forum/topic/285186
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy