Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 22/23 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Looking at some pics Val disere did very nicely out of the recent storm!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looking at pics of Andorra where eldest is headed on Saturday - looking dire. Pal has shut two weeks early, they're off to Grandvalira but it doesn't look much better.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@robertsnerys, Wow, just had a look! That is unreal!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep, unreal not in a good way. Wish they were going to Val D Smile Hopefully they could bus them to Ordino-Arcalis in case of disaster
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
https://www.reuters.com/business/environment/italys-ski-industry-fires-cannon-against-climate-change-2023-04-03/
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yep, climate-change related. I think it is now cold enough to fire the snow cannons in Andorra but why would they, given less than two full weeks of the season left? Uneconomical in any case.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think Easter has always been regarded as hit and miss beyond the higher glacier type resorts? And assume was even more of a liabiilty in the Pyrenees?

I'm more worried about the magic snow referenced in that article that can be produced at 10 degrees and doesn't melt. What witchcraft is this?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, bit of a gamble at Easter. And tricky because you're sort of stuck there, in the Pyrenees, with nowhere much else to go. At least in most alps destinations, there is a glacier within slinging distance (for now anyway).

Snow that can be produced at 10 degrees sounds weird, I suppose it must have some sort of mega-chiller or refrigeration unit built in, which sounds both expensive and not very environmentally friendly...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@8611, I've been going to the "low" resorts of La Tania and Stuben in April since 2005, I'd consider Easter more snow sure than many other months bar March tbh!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@8611,
It may refer to the snow factories which the Scottish centre use to maintain small areas up to 300m in length. Essentially They produce crushed and aerated ice. I agree that Easter is more reliable than December or January, at least at altitude.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Peter S, not just Scottish centres. Some lower Alpine areas use them too, including big names such as the Portes du Soleil.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm a strictly organic snow guy. Though I will slide across the Montsanto stuff to get back to the valley or across to another area.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Some very healthy snowfall numbers showing on https://wepowder.com/en/forecast centred in Austria. Gfs for schladming aligns for snow and colder temps for Thurs and Friday. https://wetterzentrale.de/en/show_diagrams.php?geoid=2441&model=gfs&var=201&run=6&lid=ENS&bw=1

Should all make for a cracking final couple of days for.the season.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
waynos wrote:
Some very healthy snowfall numbers showing on https://wepowder.com/en/forecast centred in Austria. Gfs for schladming aligns for snow and colder temps for Thurs and Friday. https://wetterzentrale.de/en/show_diagrams.php?geoid=2441&model=gfs&var=201&run=6&lid=ENS&bw=1

Should all make for a cracking final couple of days for.the season.

In st Anton now. Nothing cracking about the weather, total white outs and deep snow on pistes so you barely move.

Forecast is for much of the same. Give me the icy/slush days with the sunshine any day of the week.

I skied the home runs to death today. Not sure I can motivate myself to two runs for the rest of the week.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can't please all the people all the time!

Some numbers for the East, but is much still open beyond Sunday? Hintertux, Solden, Obergurgl, Ischgl

I wonder will the full areas be open elsewhere up to Sunday
latest report
Turracher Hohe open until 23 April.
Obertauern open until 1 May.

Both have snow in the short term forecast on Bergfex.
snow report
Its funny, looking at both of them their highest lifts are relatively low, seem to be 2,200. Seem to be open late because the towns themselves are very high, around 1700m. So short vertical but less slush I assume?
latest report
@8611, arlbergs 23rd as well I believe
ski holidays
Yeah, there's probably a bit to be done alright
latest report
Jagerbull wrote:
Turracher Hohe open until 23 April.
Obertauern open until 1 May.

Obertauern is expecting around half a metre of snow over the next few days.

In our neck of the woods, it’s currently hooning down….sadly, our local resorts closed last Monday Sad

The Schladming valley resorts (Planai, Reiteralm, Hauser Kaibling etc) close this weekend, which should see some fairly decent skiing between now and then.
snow report
Warming up a bit towards the end of the season. Still unsettled in the west.
snow conditions
@Peter S, what area/part of the world are you referring to?
ski holidays
I was looking at the western Alps. Looks like a bit more snow this weekend and then a bit cooler for the last week of April. The last weekend of the season looks to be the 6th/7th May.
snow conditions
Some getting very excited for Monday to Wednesday in the UK next week could be snow in Scotland and North England and bloody cold for the time of year . We shall see .

http://youtube.com/v/tfsALA749wg Brian Gaze of TWO .
ski holidays
Not many days in the UK when Durness on the north coast, 663 miles from London, is the warmest place in the UK. 21c in April in the highlands is pretty warm!
snow report
Hi,
Planning on a quick 2 day trip Sunday-Monday. After looking at flights, my options are Geneva(Chamonix), Salzburg (Obertaurn or Kaprun), or Lyon (Meribel or Les Arcs). In terms of forecast, any thoughts on the best option? I've looked at Bergfex and all places look like some snow on Sunday and clearer on Monday, but just wondering if anyone might have better info that might help sway me one way or the other?
Thanks!
snow report
@marcs44, I’m doing the same to Geneva on Friday and heading to Val D’Isere. Forecast looking good for more snow tomorrow and then again Sunday in to Monday.

Depends on how much driving or transfer you want to do. Reason we chose Val is because basically everything is open. I did consider Chamonix but there’s only one lift open at Brevent and then Grand Montets, but if that’s enough to keep you occupied it would be a good destination and the shorter transfer back to GVA is a definite bonus.
ski holidays
Hi,
Thanks for that. Grands montets is more than enough to keep us busy for a day and a half of skiing and the shorter drive is key for us for such a short trip. Just booked!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks like 2023 is an El Ninio year which may be bad news for the tropics. It tends to raise global temperatures which on top of already very warm oceans may lead to more extreme weather in some places later this year.

According to the Met office, ‘El Niño years are one factor that can increase the risk of colder winters in the UK.’

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/learn-about/weather/oceans/el-nino#:~:text=Our%20research%20helped%20show%20that,La%20Ni%C3%B1a%20can%20enhance%20development.

I’m guessing that may be because it is a factor in interrupting the jet stream allowing more easterly and northerly incursions across the Uk? That might be better news for snow here although the problem theses days is that the source air is much warmer than it used to be because of low levels of sea ice and high surface water temperatures. That may also be a reason why temperatures have remained higher during this July’s unsettled weather than might be expected.

Not sure what El Ninio means for the Alps if anything?

Is there an Opportunity for the regional tourist boards to market the drizzly cool climate of north west UK to Southern Europeans seeking sanctuary from increasingly hot and even dangerous weather! We can also throw in some greener landscapes and good air quality as a bonus Laughing
ski holidays
Northeast US winter 2023-24 predicted to be cold and snowy.

https://www.boston25news.com/news/local/brr-is-back-farmers-almanac-publishes-2023-2024-winter-outlook/3D4FVZH4VRFYNPI62DS5Q4WIZM/
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
Northeast US winter 2023-24 predicted to be cold and snowy.

https://www.boston25news.com/news/local/brr-is-back-farmers-almanac-publishes-2023-2024-winter-outlook/3D4FVZH4VRFYNPI62DS5Q4WIZM/

That’s a wee wee take.
“The second week of January will be snowy”. Lol.
ski holidays
Fresh snow at altitude this am

snow conditions
When does the 23/24 season start and the 22/23 finish??
latest report
Nozza always started the new thread on Summer Solstice. I don't know about everyone else but i really miss him! I loved his sense of humour and considered meteorological imput. Come back Nozza!
snow report
Where'd he go?
snow conditions
britsound wrote:
Nozza always started the new thread on Summer Solstice. I don't know about everyone else but i really miss him! I loved his sense of humour and considered meteorological imput. Come back Nozza!

+1
snow report
He’s been seen off or got a bit sensitive one of the two its got a bit toxic sometimes on here in the past. Nozza wasn’t the first another snowhead used to be the main contributor years ago till he’d had enough , Some of the old hands might remember who that was @davidof , @weathercam , perhaps @Polo could kick it off this time he knows what he’s doing used to be a main contributor but went back to the PdeS thread , must remember it’s not anyone’s sole possession .
ski holidays
I always thought starting the new thread on the summer solstice was a nice touch - I think Nozza is still around, but noticeably started the thread later last year and contributed less for the reasons that @Rob Mackley gave. Be nice to see him back.

It's a thread where we all dip in to see what the 'experts' say - and consequently it might feel that it's not our place to start the new thread but we should wait till one of the old hands start it. But the danger is that the 22/23 thread goes later and later... (and makes searching a bit more troublesome)

Just needs someone, anyone, to jump in and start the new one......
ski holidays
@Handy Turnip, Sorted now let’s turn this one off , good bye 22/23
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy