Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas Trip Help

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
nelliefj40 wrote:
The rental did change a nominal fee for traveling to Austria and we did get out vignette.

The on mountain dining is indeed not at all comparable!

Off to a Bludenz tomorrow and and reviewing snow reports for the Voralberg. Disappointing!

Most areas assembled to be half open or less. We'll try our best to continue to stay positive!

Considering the Arlberg as they appear to have more open. I've not considered it previously and am overwhelmed by the scale. Any tips on how best to spend a day? We don't need to cover a significant portion of the area. We'd like to "attempt to" mitigate crowds. Best area for that? Or perhaps Arosa in Switzerland? It's a trek (1:30 of driving) but appears to have much more open.

So options are:

Silvretta
Damuls
Warth
Remainder of Arlberg
Arosa

Thanks all!

I loved Lech & Zurs, Lech is just beautiful, Zurs is high and snowsure. You can park at the start of the village in Zurs as you exit the Flexenpass tunnels or drop down into Lech and park at the Schlosskopf at the far end of the village. There is the Weisse Ring circuit that takes you round Zurs and Lech, if all links are open.

You may find the road between Lech & Warth is closed in winter, but there is the Auenfeldjet lift link from the far side of Lech into the Warth ski area.

This might help with your research:

https://www.bergfex.com/vorarlberg/
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

Beautiful Lech!! snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I notice Stuben am Arlberg has the deepest snow depths in the Vorarlberg, You can park next to the village and ski over to St Anton and Zurs from there. Not far from Bludenz, only 25mins, just make sure you exit the fast road at Langen or else you will end up in the Arlberg tunnel.

The Arlberg is a big area, many days worth of skiing. But maybe a day doing the Weisse Ring around Zurs and Lech, a day from Stuben over to St Anton & St Christoph and another from Lech into Warth & Schrocken would be fun.

I was going to mention Sonnenkopf above Wald am Arlberg as a quiet, but worthwhile area, but I notice it doesn't have much open at the moment.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If the Weisse Ring isn't open, usually the Madloch down to Zug is the weakest link, you can explore the Zursersee side of Zurs, up the Muggengrat and the run 144 down into Zurser Tali is fun, then catch the skibus down into Lech, explore the runs under the Zuger Hochlicht and return to Zurs using the Rufikopf cable car and Schuttboden & Hexenboden

https://www.derweissering.ski/en/the-most-legendary-ski-circuit

https://www.bergfex.com/warth-schroecken/panorama/

Then save the runs above and around Oberlech for when you go over to Warth.

Hope that helps!! snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thjs is exceptionally helpful! Time to digest the info and make a plan for tomorrow.

Cheers!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A quick approximate sketch of the 3 Arlberg routes I suggested:

https://ibb.co/2kvmbKD

Hopefully the Weisse Ring is open and you can start it at Zurs and follow it round via Zug and Lech as per the video on the link in previous post, but Purple is a Weisse Ring alternative, you can do the Zursersee side of Zurs, but then you need the skibus down into Lech, but can return using the Rufikopf cablecar. Park at entrance to Zurs, it's called Parplatz Trittkopf on Google maps.

Yellow is Oberlech and to Warth Schrocken and back, Park at Schlosskopf in Lech

Green is Stuben over to St Anton and St Christoph. At St Anton you can do the runs on Gampen above Nasserein or the other side of the valley at Rendl. There's also the highest part around Schindlergrat & Valluga, but you probably won't be able to cover every sector of St Anton in a day. You can park at Stuben just below the village and near the chairlift.

You will need to check which lifts & runs are open, it can get windy through the Arlberg and snow cover can vary on the many different mountain faces.

Get to the parking places early as they can fill up at busy times.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
luigi wrote:
A quick approximate sketch of the 3 Arlberg routes I suggested:

https://ibb.co/2kvmbKD

Hopefully the Weisse Ring is open and you can start it at Zurs and follow it round via Zug and Lech as per the video on the link in previous post, but Purple is a Weisse Ring alternative, you can do the Zursersee side of Zurs, but then you need the skibus down into Lech, but can return using the Rufikopf cablecar. Park at entrance to Zurs, it's called Parplatz Trittkopf on Google maps.

Yellow is Oberlech and to Warth Schrocken and back, Park at Schlosskopf in Lech

Green is Stuben over to St Anton and St Christoph. At St Anton you can do the runs on Gampen above Nasserein or the other side of the valley at Rendl. There's also the highest part around Schindlergrat & Valluga, but you probably won't be able to cover every sector of St Anton in a day. You can park at Stuben just below the village and near the chairlift.

You will need to check which lifts & runs are open, it can get windy through the Arlberg and snow cover can vary on the many different mountain faces.

Get to the parking places early as they can fill up at busy times.

Thanks for all this help, it was greatly appreciated and I can tell how much effort you put into it! We did end up doing some combo of the purple and yellow circuits. Started in zurs and bussed to Lech. Skied from Lech back to zurs.

Zurs was better but icy. Lech slush central. Both terribly busy.

Next day drove to Arosa. A drive for sure but we were rewarded with fresh snow (even if heavy). Crowds.
Ast day today was at Silvretta. Busiest I've ever seen. Horrible. Pistes a sheet of ice. We left after an hour.

Overall a good experience and fun holiday. I can't be really bedisappointed with the weather or crowds. I knew the weather is at best a flip of the coin and crowds would be bad. I've never experienced crowds like this though in the US. Perhaps the limited pistes open was at the cause?

Best of our trip:
Ober/hoch gurgl
Kaunertal
Arosa

Bottom:
Kuhtai
Lech/zurs
Silvretta

Thank you all for your help!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Perhaps the limited pistes open was at the cause?

Yes, that will have contributed greatly. But New Year is always one of the busiest weeks of the year, regardless of where you go. Well done for having adopted such a positive approach and making the best of it. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sorry to hear about conditions and crowds, but glad my pointers helped a bit

Xmas/New Year is one of the busiest periods of the season, particularly for Germans & Austrians which would be the main clientele in the areas you skied.

I visited Lech in mid-December and it was blissfully quiet.

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@luigi What's that chart showing ? The y-axis has some pretty large numbers, which I guess could be around the total visitors across the alps. Also the distribution across February and March looks weird. I can't think of anything which would have such a large difference between w/c 18th Feb and the following 2 or 3 weeks. The country numbers also look odd (though I'm guessing on some of them), e.g. Netherlands (NL) lower than Belgium (BE) most weeks, and both lower than Poland (POL) and Czech (TSJ)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I presume DUI is Germany. Guess that is their half term?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What's "ENG"? wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy