Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Brits abroad

Poster: A snowHead
Easing into my first day back in Zermatt, on the delightful Gornergratbahn, gliding steadily up the mountain, magnificent views all around....the idyll is broken by (Essix accent needed here) 16-yr old girl and mother: "mum, what is a glacier anyway? Where are they?" They were also on the wrong train - it didn't stop where they wanted to get off, even though it was all clearly signed in the station. It was the railway's fault, not theirs... It's a train. It's Switzerland. There are signs. There are announcements. There are multilingual personnel to ask...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I skied today as I’m not going back until tomorrow, all I have to say is I feel sorry for English folks if this is the only week you can get to ski, definitely more holiday than skiing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This year when in Les Arcs, there were 3 of us skiing together.

At a crowded chairlift, rather than send up empty seats, we split up. I held back and went on the next chair - but in doing so, it meant an English couple (who were behind me) couldn't go up this next chair together. I heard him say under his breath, but deliberately loud enough for me to hear - "That's just typical; the rudeness of some people".

They then waited for the next chair, leaving a spare space on mine, as he was standing blocking the gate and didn't go.

As somebody said on a previous thread, it would appear that being separated for the few minutes that the lift takes, is too much to ask....and is apparently a valid reason to act rude and entitled.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Some years ago, Mrs A and I were cycletouring in southern Portugal. (Blimey, it was hot!) We got as far North as Evora where we heard shouted across the campsite in a very Essex accent: "Oi, Lisa! Where's my tea - I'm 'ungry". It's been a household saying ever since.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@caughtanedge,
please dont tarnish the rest of brits with essex stupidity
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 16-02-20 13:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What's wrong with Essex accent, way better than a West country or Birmingham accent! Also most of Essex folk are not stupid, have you looked in the mirror lately.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OI, wot's wrong wivva West Country accent ? Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
martinm wrote:
OI, wot's wrong wivva West Country accent ? Very Happy

There's nothing wrong with any accent - It's People, not accents, that are the problem.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I much prefer a West Country accent to an Essex one. Not so keen on the Brummie accent tho. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Great thread, nothing better than snobbish attitudes with members looking down on their fellow countrymen.

BTW, WTF has this got to do with skiing on The Piste?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
it wasn't actually the accent which was noticeable, it was the volume.. apologies to Essex people. Some years ago we were sitting on the snow at Grand Platières above Flaine, having lunch, with a magnificent panorama of Mont Blanc, with a few other families around, mainly french. The peace was broken by the shouty arrival of a couple of Brit families... We heard one of the French people say "ils crient, les anglais...". That's been a family saying ever since..
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In defence of Brits I shuffled over to let a French couple through in the lift queue. They thanked me and we smiled. Seizing the opportunity though was another French guy who pushed through and knocked me - over absolute t@@@. No sorry; nothing. In short, there’s ignorant stupid people in every nationality.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fogliettaz wrote:
What's wrong with Essex accent, way better than a West country or Birmingham accent! Also most of Essex folk are not stupid, have you looked in the mirror lately.

Oh dear, as a native of North Bristol who moved to the Midlands 20 years ago when she met & married a Brummie, I don’t stand a chance if I meet you on the mountain then.........

Then again, my mothers side of the family come from & still reside in Essex. I’m clearly doomed!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Chuckles3, I'd move to Wales if I were you snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
Far worse than any of the UK regional accents is the plummy bray of an entitled posh-Brit abroad, heard often in ski resorts across Europe. Grates with the locals and any Brits from aforementioned regions.
snow report
I often find myself pretending not to be British. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
What incredible snobs. Snowsnobs.com
ski holidays
Not another thread for self-loathing Brits!

There are about ~100 of them already!
ski holidays
queenie pretty please wrote:
I often find myself pretending not to be British. Toofy Grin

This forum has a considerable British base. Were you intending to troll?
ski holidays
I'm with Queenie, it's embarrassing being British.
snow report
Only if you're an embarrassment.
ski holidays
@achilles, no trolling, just try to disassociate myself from embarrassing behaviour.
latest report
@bambionskiis,
Quote:

there’s ignorant stupid people in every nationality.
This.

Accents are a different matter and some
- though this is obviously subjective - are more attractive than others. Personally I love Scots, West Country, Geordie, but hate Estuary and Brum.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
Not another thread for self-loathing Brits!

There are about ~100 of them already!

No need for us to self-loath when you do it so well for us Toofy Grin
snow report
king key wrote:

This is just madness
snow report
Parisien holidays last week and this, UK this week. I've met some lovely Parisiens and Brits and some utter ladies' front bottoms. That's life.

Fairly down to earth here not too many pretentious ladies' front bottoms of any nationality.
snow conditions
@Claude B, LDA is good for that. The locals come across as a great bunch. Overall I expect to get on with the French. France seems to be bit like the USA. You get a somewhat downbeat impression from the news - yet for the most part, the people you actually meet and mix with are fine and want to be helpful.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Fogliettaz, don't worry mate on here most people use Essex as the epitome of stupidity. Never mind that the most ignorant, unaware and inexperienced people I've ever met have been London/Home Counties it's OK to sneer because people from Essex sound thick. If you want sense ask a tradesman, if you want b ollocks ask an office-dweller with a humanities from a red-brick.
snow report
@justabod, wow, that's quite a little bunch of prejudices/shoulder chips to be carrying around!
snow report
@Csb123, 100% on the plummy accent. Our favorite shout is ‘Hugo! Hugo! Have you seen Sophie (prounounced Soffy) *then in an irate voice* oh god where are Mummy and Felix!! Cracks me up - I love accents I find them fascinating.

Worse flight of my life was the Friday EasyJet LGW-GVA on the Friday before half term... so many fur trimmed gilets, kids called Paloma and a woman letting her kids eat boiled eggs as their snack .... that booze trolley could not come down that aisle fast enough

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 16-02-20 18:26; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
Overheard in Malpensa airport yesterday morning from one of the northern school kids on out flight from MAN, “Ciao is a Chinese word isn’t it” Got to agree there are lots of Chinese chippys called Mr Chows Very Happy
snow conditions
I'm sorry @geoffknight the kid was right. Ch'ao means 'to stir-fry'.
ski holidays
Talking of accents brings to mind the quote by George Bernard Shaw "It is impossible for an Englishman to open his mouth without making some other Englishman hate or despise him" wink
snow report
Csb123 wrote:

Csb123 wrote:
king key wrote:

This is just madness

Whereas your opinion that, "it's embarrassing being British" is completely rational. If you feel so embarrassed to be British abroad then I see two options, either don't go abroad or emigrate and become a national of another domain as Queenie has done. We certainly don't need you to feel embarrassed abroad and insulting to the rest of the British people.
latest report
Alastair Pink wrote:
Talking of accents brings to mind the quote by George Bernard Shaw "It is impossible for an Englishman to open his mouth without making some other Englishman hate or despise him" wink
That's brilliant, I've never heard it before.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
That's brilliant, I've never heard it before.

Haven't you seen My Fair Lady?
ski holidays
king key wrote:
Csb123 wrote:

Csb123 wrote:
king key wrote:

This is just madness

Whereas your opinion that, "it's embarrassing being British" is completely rational. If you feel so embarrassed to be British abroad then I see two options, either don't go abroad or emigrate and become a national of another domain as Queenie has done. We certainly don't need you to feel embarrassed abroad and insulting to the rest of the British people.

Whoosh! Straight over your head Very Happy
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/Jig6HseykIw
snow report
I try to listen to what people say, rather than be too concerned with regional accent.

Might go a little way to explaining why UK has such poor productivity, compared with other G7 countries, that recruitment for many influential jobs still has a bias towards those who talk proper, rather than ability?
snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy