Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canada 2024

Poster: A snowHead
With my 2023 trips all sorted, I am wondering again about if we could do a 2024 trip to Canada

Our children are still in school (and could be this is still something that will need too wait until they are at Uni / left home!). 2024 will see them being 14 and 17.

I would like to do 10 days ideally, so with school holidays that leaves us stuck with either Christmas holiday or Easter Holidays (which also may be out at 17 year old will be sitting A-levels).

I am happy DIY to Europe, not sure best route (websites to use etc) to do same for Canada. I am presuming DIY is most cost effective?

Please spam me your ideas and experiences. Area recommendations etc.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I did a similar length trip back in 2017.

We flew in to Calgary, hired a car. 3 nights in Banff, skiing at Lake Louise, then on to Golden for 3 nights again, skiing Kicking Horse, then on to Revelstoke for 3 nights, and finally back to Banff, skied a day at Sunshine then home.

Each drive is around 1.5/2 hours, except Revelstoke back to Banff which is a bit longer.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks very much for the reply, @swskier, so having done that, and in hindsight, was it worth taking the time to visit the different areas? Or would you recommend basing yourself in one of them?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The easiest thing to do is take a package to Banff. Ski bus to Sunshine and Lake Louise picks you up outside the door. No need for a car. And stuff like hotsprings etc you can do as well as heaps of shopping and chewing beef in all its formats. Scenery is pretty amazing especially if you've never been there before.

Really easy to DIY to Whistler which is probably the other most popular UK skier option. But comes at a price - cheap hotel in Whistler is a definite anachronism.

I think you'd probably spin out too much with trying to plan a road trip as first timers ( but that's partially because I know you like to be ultra planned). Plans can go sideways in Canada pretty quickly with weather ( heavy snowfalls or extreme cold) and road closures - often related to weather but also big rig RTAs.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@NickyJ, I enjoyed trying a few different places. I was lucky I was with people that have been to the resorts before, so I didn't need to spend days getting to know the area, they just took me straight to good bits.

Financially, it's not the best move, lift passes cost more, as you don't get a chance to save on a larger number of days, but I spent some time researching different lift passes to make it as cheap as possible.

If you need ski hire, again this falls in to the same bracket as lift passes. Either you hire at each resort, or hire for the whole holiday from one location and return the skis at the end. This is what I did from a shop on the Highway 1 on the west side of Calgary, and I just returned them on the way back to the airport. That's fine, as long as you don't have any issues with the skis while you're away from the shop....

I loved the drive between towns/resorts, so that aspect was fine for me, but other people might not enjoy a 2 hour drive having skied all day.

If it was my first trip to Canada, and I wasn't going with knowledgeable friends, i'd be inclined to do as @Dave of the Marmottes has mentioned, and head to Banff for the whole trip. You've got Lake Louise, Norquay and Sunshine all on one pass, busses that run to each resort and a nice town with nearby non skiing activities.

If you fancy the adventure, and the planning that goes with it, the trip I did was fun.

It also depends on what sort of skiing you want. If you like nice piste skiing, don't even bother going near Kicking Horse or Revelstoke, just stick with Lake Louise and Sunshine.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
When Crystal have a deal on, I've never been able to get close to their prices with DIY for Banff or Jasper, so have always taken the package (Crystal tend to use Air Canada who give you free ski carriage too).

We booked Whistler (flights and hotel together) in the BA sale last August for far less than DIY, then we just paid a transfer from the airport.

For none-winter trips, we've used Canadian Affair for hotels and car hire and again, the prices were far less than we could get direct (and their car hire includes the best level of insurance).

For a first time trip to Canada, my vote would also be for Banff!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@SLB79, thankyou. Useful to know
@swskier, thankyou.

@Dave of the Marmottes, yep you are right Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think that's correct - although I've never done it, I'm sure you can get cheaper "package" deals because they have bulk purchase on flights and hotels. Just look up the rack rates on hotels and compare them with package prices in the same place, and you'll see it's much more expensive to do things yourself. That said, even when I was poor I did stuff myself - it depends what you're looking for.

As stated, AC always carry skis/ boards for free in winter, although if you have internal flights to add, book them on one ticket or you may be charged for the internal segments.

I'd start at Banff or Whistler. In fact I usually start at one or the other even when I'm going somewhere else.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
American ski classics is a good port of call as the packages they do far outweigh DIY costs and hassle. Banff is a good shout but as mentioned you need to take buses to the resorts. You could also rent a car and drive to kicking horse and or better yet drive to golden and get in a Heli. Banff the town is ok the food was average tbh and we ate out every night at different places. The hills were good sunshine being our fave due to better snow and secret stashes.

Whistler is a different animal and highly recommended. You just can't beat it in Canada Imv for all around excellence. The cat boarding we done was awesome and half the cost of Heli with about 8 runs. Heli is an experience though to be done once at least. The food was awesome on a par with park city Utah.

Utah is another shout which mirrors Whistler in many ways but there are other resorts near by to explore all worth a visit. (Snowboarding permitting!)

Book early for best pass deals. Booking before April 23rd this year got you 10 extra buddy tickets! This is for epic season pass which is very reasonable compared to ridiculously high daily tickets. Good luck.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@NickyJ, A few years ago we took a package with "Canadian Affair".
They did a great deal for us.
If you have never been before Bannf is a must.
Every time I go the scenery between Sunshine and Lake Louise makes my jaw drop.

First check the deals with the Tour Operaters.

Then... for flights have a look at WestJet.
For Car Rental check Canadian Affair .. I got a 7 seater mother of all SUVs for a lot less than anyone else could do it, and that was this February.

I dont know why but I always end up staying at the Caribou Lodge in Bannf, it would be worth trying to book direct with them ... and take the breakfast option.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you want save money on your lift passes ... you can get a very good discount at Cosco near Calgary airport.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DrLawn wrote:
....... dont know why but I always end up staying at the Caribou Lodge in Bannf, it would be worth trying to book direct with them ... and take the breakfast option.

Funny, the three times I've been to Banff I've stayed there. We do book direct and they do remember and give us either upgraded rooms or knock a bit off their published rate.

If you're flying into Calgary and not renting a car, Banff Airporter do a really good shuttle service, well priced, really nice minibusses and the driver comes to reception and asks for you by name, always been on time, really top service.

I've flown Air Canada, BA and Air Transat (which were by far the cheapest a while back).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another shout-out for AmericanSkiClassics...Peter has saved me £'000s over the years and provides first rate service.

I've been to Whistler twice. It's great, but my family unanimously agrees that there are other places with a bigger draw. Whistler, to me, is just too European when we have the real thing on our doorstep. If you do go to Whistler, try to stay in the Fairmont; it's one of the very best hotels I've ever visited.

If your kids are nearly in uni, they're probably good skiers. If so, take them to Fernie and you will instantly become the best parents on the planet. We were still skiing deep, steep, untracked powder four days after a snowfall when we went there...in Whistler, untracked snow lasts hours, not days. In Fernie, the lifts are slow, the transfers are long, the town is tiny and the 'best' hotel is a Best Western; but the skiing is so epic that you could pitch a tent in the snow and still have the trip of a lifetime. But you don't want to do Fernie at Christmas or Easter.

So don't discount half term. Jetlag isn't as bad as people claim. You may even get to ski on the final Saturday if you can find a late flight home, giving seven days skiing. If you can possibly afford it, look at Premium Economy or Business on the flight home so you get a good night's sleep, and you'll bounce straight back into action on Monday morning.

Enjoy.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rogg, It's serendipity how the magnetic force of the Caribou draws us in.
A few years ago we set off from Calgary in the morning after doing the rounds at Bass Pro Shop,
Canadian Tyre plus Cosco's for the lift tickets.
The plan was to drive on through to Kicking Horse.
We stopped in Canmore to pick up some supplies but when we came out of the supermarket there was a foot of snow on the van.
It was snowing too hard to go past Banff so we limped in and planned to go from Hotel to Hotel trying to find a room for the night.
But first stop "Caribou" put us up for a bargain price because they said nobody else would be able to come along in the storm.
Then the staff dug the van out of the snow drift and we got it into the underground car park, great service.

The next day was an absolute "Bluebird" up at Lake Louise ... we had to stop and ski the powder.

The first time I'd experienced "Sun Dogs".. a phenomenon that you get with those sprinkly ice crystals in the air, I've never seen it in Europe.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Travelled to Banff 2020 just before Covid hit for 11 nights.

Anyway we were back for two weeks skiing this April and it was fantastic. Equally as cold as January too which was a surprise.

We book through SkiBig3 Based in Banff and it's so easy. They sort out all the accommodation, Ski passes and transfers and we book our flights. Generally via Schipol from the UK . All in for two people two weeks about 5k staying at the moose suites which is excellent.
Banff is a great base to ski like someone has stated Lake Louise, Norquay and Sunshine. Buses regular and no pushing and shoving.

We were there over Easter holiday and couldn't believe how quiet it was.

We do actually fancy a trip compromising a few ski areas and a drive, But next step will be a week in Fernie and a week in Banff.

Re booking via SkiBig3 you pay minimal deposit and only pay up to 12 nights prior. They are so flexible too with any demands so a great place to start.
ski holidays
DrLawn wrote:
The first time I'd experienced "Sun Dogs".. a phenomenon that you get with those sprinkly ice crystals in the air, I've never seen it in Europe.

I saw this once at the top of Salati lift in Monterosa - I stood transfixed while the air all around was sparkling as if I was inside a Christmas card. When I returned later, it was gone.
snow conditions
Sparkly air is different from a true sun dog which is a halo like effect from the crystals in the air.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_dog
snow report
Hi @motyl, So good to hear from you. I've not seen you on any bashes for a while.
Hope to see you again after the leaves turn crinckly.

and cheers @Dave of the Marmottes, for giving us he link.
I've only seen them on that day up at Lake Louise and it just happened to be one of those fabulous days when the crystal sparklies are in the air.

So According to Wikipidia they can turn up anywhere at any time ... amazing.
It is truly God's front Garden along that Parkway.
ski holidays
DrLawn wrote:
@rogg, It's serendipity how the magnetic force of the Caribou draws us in.
A few years ago we set off from Calgary in the morning after doing the rounds at Bass Pro Shop,
Canadian Tyre plus Cosco's for the lift tickets.
The plan was to drive on through to Kicking Horse.
We stopped in Canmore to pick up some supplies but when we came out of the supermarket there was a foot of snow on the van.
It was snowing too hard to go past Banff so we limped in and planned to go from Hotel to Hotel trying to find a room for the night.
But first stop "Caribou" put us up for a bargain price because they said nobody else would be able to come along in the storm.
Then the staff dug the van out of the snow drift and we got it into the underground car park, great service.

The next day was an absolute "Bluebird" up at Lake Louise ... we had to stop and ski the powder.

Too much snow for others to get in? Sounds like Heaven, and it would have been rude not to have stopped for the bluebird day. The most memorable days for me there were both at sunshine, one day during the (three day "biggest storm in 50 years" according tot he papers) storm and the first day opened after it. Third chair up Continental Divide and lap after lap of waist deep goodness (in about -20 air). I love Canada.
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, thanks for that, I did wonder why they were called "dogs" Toofy Grin I'm all for sparkly air though - maybe less dramatic than sun dogs, but simply magical.
@DrLawn, yes indeed, but I hope to get to Hemel a couple of times before next winter, and if you join the GnarliBuG next year it would be great to ski with you again.
snow conditions
@NickyJ, one thing to think about, and this is further down the line and i've hinted at it before is, you have to take a good look in to lift passes, and the various options available.

If you're in Banff, the most simple way is to get yourself a Ski Big 3 pass, but it's the most expensive route. There's also the Ikon pass which covers the area for 7 days, plus there's a Sunshine pass that gets you free days and discounts, a similar pass also at Lake Louise.

It's worth spending a bit of time looking in to it all to get yourself the best price.
snow conditions
Hi @rogg, It sounds like it was well worth getting up early for.
I love Cnada too ...
It is not the European experience of huge resorts with 100's of Kilometers of piste, but its special.

I hope @NickyJ, has a great time over there.
I was just lucky enough to get invited out for a couple of weeks to the Bear Paw Lodge (see in the signature line)
in February this year. Its a self catering option, but it would be hard work for a family and a lot of loot.

There is a lot of alternatives to Skiing there too ...
Skidooing, Hot Tubing .. Warm Springing down at Radium (But there are hot Spring Baths in Banff which is easier.)
ski holidays
@swskier, is right... the lift pass options are quite complicated.
I know if you get a membership to Cosco in Calgary you can save quite a bit.
But it does mean making a trip there when you're gagging to get down the road to Banff.
You're time clock says its gone midnight when it still a dark evening in Calgary.
latest report
@DrLawn, I did an analysis on here for the options for someone a while back that was looking to go, there's quite a bit of saving to be had if you put in your homework
snow conditions

I was reading about sun dogs yesterday and since they came up in this thread, I included a couple photos from Snowbird in 2015. In the photo showing chairs on the lift,

the sundog is behind the left cable, at 9 o'clock on the circular arc (there's another sundog at 3 o'clock). The sun is behind the right cable. Above we also see part of a 22 degree halo, a Parry arc, and a tangent arc. We see those in the other photo as well, plus a circumzenithal arc and a supralateral arc (colored arcs). With thanks to Wikipedia for teaching me all those cool new words....

As for Banff vs Whistler, they are about as different as they could be. Both are great, the one that fits you better will reveal itself as you go through the process.
ski holidays
Different but possibly cooler than sun dogs are Brocken Spectres. I've had them a couple of times fellwalking in the UK but also skiing when in an inversion plus looking at steaming hotsprings in Yellowstone. Even had a poor man's version with the spotlight over a hottub on a chilly night.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brocken_spectre
snow report
I knew I must have some of those somewhere.

I like the "sparkly air" thing better, I shall see if I can find some images which show that.

Brocken spectre: seen the odd one walking in the UK, that's about it for those.

Ok, they seem quite common. This one has an inversion and a burn thrown in.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy