Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Visa for Brits

Poster: A snowHead
Hello Snowheads,

I am doing a season without working next year and wondered if anyone has any experience with obtaining an Austrian visa for longer than 90 days. I have emailed the Austrian embassy but wanted to know if anyone here had experience with it for Austria or any other schengen countries. I will have pre-paid accommodation/and should be able to demonstrate financial means.

Thank you!

Barbourossa.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No experience but potentially interested in your findings if positive for some point in the future. People have represented that it is relatively straightforward for France (although still a cost and admin hassle) but that is no precedent for Austria.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is a Visa D to visit Austria for more than 3 months but less than 6 months. But it needs a purpose for the visit, such as study. It costs 150 € and you apply for it at your Austrian embassy.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mankei, interesting - is there such a thing as basic community college nightschool where one could study say German as a foreign language or photography etc and qualify?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dave of the Marmottes, I believe it has to be higher education.

Notification/confirmation of admission of the Austrian higher education institution

https://oead.at/en/to-austria/entry-and-residence/visa-c-or-visa-d
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@telford_mike, That's what I suspected when I briefly read about it previously. No doubt cheaper and easier to do your 3 months in Austria Schengen then buy a separate French tourist visa and do your rest of winter there. Oh the joys of Brexit!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Dave of the Marmottes, Indeed.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I know someone who got a six month Visa D for last ski season via the Austrian Embassy in London. They are retired and have a second home in Austria. Had to provide travel details and tickets, evidence of financial means, documentation re second home ownership, evidence of travel insurance for the whole period, etc. They didn’t encounter any obstacles.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Austrian Seagull, thanks, that's quite reassuring. Still waiting for the embassy to get back but will post post an update when I hear back.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@barbourossa, I’ve just remembered that their one issue was that the Embassy insisted on seeing their return flight tickets before processing the Visa application, so they had to purchase flights before knowing that they had obtained the visa. Fortunately they picked up some cheap Ryanair tickets.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It doesn't have to be higher education - that's just one of the examples given. The basic premise is that you have to be able to support yourself while there, so there's no drain on government resources. Other examples are for people with second homes, those working for an Austrian-registered company for up to 6 months, and family members of those who don't need a visa such as EU citizens. The wording on the BMEIA site says that holiday stays of up to 90 days are visa-free, but that "You may need a visa or permit to stay for longer, to work or study, or for business travel." Those commas are important.

So in theory you can apply for a Visa D to be a ski bum for the season, and as long as you can provide the basic documentation to show you have adequate funds, insurance, travel tickets, and a place to stay, it should be granted.

See https://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/austrian-embassy-london/travelling-to-austria/entry-requirements-visa-and-immigration/

That just leaves the simple matter of travelling to a VFS office or the Austrian embassy in London twice to complete the application and collect your passport with the visa several weeks later (or pay extra for your passport to be couriered back to you), and of course the fee of €80 plus a €30 fee for the VFS service. See https://visa.vfsglobal.com/gbr/en/aut for details.

And then what it doesn't say is that you also have to register with the local authorities within 3 days of arrival - the education site mentions this at https://oead.at/en/to-austria/entry-and-residence/visa-c-or-visa-d#c23442 but it isn't prominent anywhere else that I can find:
Quote:
You have to register within three working days of arrival in Austria with the registration office at your place of residence.
A registration with the registration office is not needed if you reside in a tourist accommodation (e.g., hotel, guest house, campsite, private room, AirBnB) for a maximum of 2 months.

So basically payment of the tourist tax means they know that you are in town.

That link also provides an additional document which has two useful paragraphs:

- You have to report any change of your residential address to the registration office within three working days, and any change of other data within one month.
- Before leaving Austria you have to cancel your registration.

My reading of that is that any movement between areas during your stay would require you to cancel the registration in your original location, and re-register in the new location.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ousekjarr wrote:

And then what it doesn't say is that you also have to register with the local authorities within 3 days of arrival - the education site mentions this at https://oead.at/en/to-austria/entry-and-residence/visa-c-or-visa-d#c23442 but it isn't prominent anywhere else that I can find:
Quote:
You have to register within three working days of arrival in Austria with the registration office at your place of residence.
A registration with the registration office is not needed if you reside in a tourist accommodation (e.g., hotel, guest house, campsite, private room, AirBnB) for a maximum of 2 months.

So basically payment of the tourist tax means they know that you are in town.

That link also provides an additional document which has two useful paragraphs:

- You have to report any change of your residential address to the registration office within three working days, and any change of other data within one month.
- Before leaving Austria you have to cancel your registration.

My reading of that is that any movement between areas during your stay would require you to cancel the registration in your original location, and re-register in the new location.

Just in case anyone was wondering, that's what everyone living in/moving to Austria has to do, including Austrians
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You can get a multi entry visa if you didn't want to stay for 6 months on end
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mankei wrote:
There is a Visa D to visit Austria for more than 3 months but less than 6 months. But it needs a purpose for the visit, such as study. It costs 150 € and you apply for it at your Austrian embassy.

What's wrong with, "I want to stay in Austria, spending money from England?" Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Finally got a response from the Embassy. They basically said that travel is not a valid reason for the Visa D application so brits are screwed. Full response below:

"please note that UK nationals do benefit from a visa waiver benefit allowing them to travel to the Schengen territory (incl. Austria) for a maximum of 90 days in a 180 day period for touristic and leisure purposes. Unfortunately, a Visa D is not to be used bridging longer stay-intentions. You would have to plan your stay fitting into the visa waiver period."
snow report
Independent means visa is available to those with a disposable income of more than around €3,200 per month. I think that there are only about 500 per year though.
snow report
barbourossa wrote:
Hello Snowheads,

I am doing a season without working next year and wondered if anyone has any experience with obtaining an Austrian visa for longer than 90 days. I have emailed the Austrian embassy but wanted to know if anyone here had experience with it for Austria or any other schengen countries. I will have pre-paid accommodation/and should be able to demonstrate financial means.

Thank you!

Barbourossa.

is it not possible to go there for 3 months, then back to e.g. Germany for a Week, and the again for almost 3 monthts?
ski holidays
@turms2, no...its still schengen
ski holidays
@turms2, no a maximum of 90 days in a 180 day period within Schengen no matter which country you are in. If you have a visa for one particular country, time outside that country counts towards the 90 days. So if you have a German visa or residence permit third country nationals can still only spend 90 days in 180 in Austria.
snow report
and if you've been in the Schengen area for 3 months, you have to be out of it for twice as long as you want to stay on the second visit, e.g. if you leave for 4 days, you can return for up to 8, but no longer as you'd then hit the 90 in 180 rule again.
latest report
ousekjarr wrote:
and if you've been in the Schengen area for 3 months, you have to be out of it for twice as long as you want to stay on the second visit, e.g. if you leave for 4 days, you can return for up to 8, but no longer as you'd then hit the 90 in 180 rule again.

No, you still be over the 90 out of 180 rule.
You start getting 'days back' 180 days after your first day of the 90.
snow conditions
well....that a pain in the A***
snow conditions
@turms2, certainly is. But hey, we get blue passports and we've taken back control and everything. rolling eyes
snow report
@Kenzie, doh - that's kind of what I meant, but I skipped the bit about being out for 90 days before you come back rolling eyes , so thanks for clarifying
ski holidays
Another way to think about it is if you want to maximise your ski season by taking 90 days in Jan-Mar, any trips to Schengen the previous Oct-Dec will reduce those days - could make a weekend in Paris or some late sun in the Costas costly.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 3-08-22 18:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, I am avoiding going to Tignes in the autumn because it would reduce the number of weeks I could ski in the rest of the winter.

I also have a work conference in Paris in May that I can't go to if I have been skiing for 90 days.
snow conditions
Have you considered Canada? Brits get 6 months visa free. For longer trips cheaper accomodation (and possibly lift passes) more than offset the flight costs ime. Plus more snow and in bounds off piste
snow report
Brits wake up and smell the coffee .. You are treated as 3rd class now ...The odd ones/outcasts in whole of Europe.. Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/_lqdiu8G7b8
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You could ski the non-Schengen countries of Europe:- Andorra, Bulgaria, Romania, Turkey, Georgia etc
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
Brits wake up and smell the coffee .. You are treated as 3rd class now ...The odd ones/outcasts in whole of Europe.. Very Happy

We know, that's why the majority on this site didn't vote for it.....
snow report
Kenzie wrote:
You could ski the non-Schengen countries of Europe:- Andorra, Bulgaria, Romania, Turkey, Georgia etc

And which airport in Andorra do you fly into that isnt in the schengen area?
ski holidays
On a relevant subject ETIAS has been delayed another six months

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/eu-postpones-launch-of-etias-to-november-2023/
latest report
@jafa, direct helicopter flight from your superyacht parked up in international waters off Perpignan dear boy, where there's a will there's a way wink

More seriously, why would I _want_ to ski in Andorra, Bulgaria, Romania, Turkey, Georgia, etc? There are no doubt good experiences to be had in those places, but if you have the time and the cash to ski more than 90 days in a season, the US and Canada are much more attractive and in any case a longer stay visa becomes possible with those resources in France and Italy, while Switzerland may be in Schengen but will consider an application for a short-term residence permit for more than 90 days but less than a year.
latest report
jafa wrote:
Kenzie wrote:

And which airport in Andorra do you fly into that isnt in the schengen area?

You only lose one day at each end. I believe you get stamped in and out of Andorra.
snow report
rjs wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, I am avoiding going to Tignes in the autumn because it would reduce the number of weeks I could ski in the rest of the winter.

I also have a work conference in Paris in May that I can't go to if I have been skiing for 90 days.

I think there is potentially a work/life conflict - if I intend to take say a sabbatical for a ski season then I need to demand my employer gets me a separate visa for any work trips in the 90 day windows either side I think. Either that or buy me out of personal Schengen days with an appropriate offer.
snow conditions
Slightly off topic, but something that just came up in the pub. A question for Schengen visa holders: what is the deal with passport stamps in 3rd countries? I’ve only travelled directly from Austria to the UK on mine, so it’s not been an issue.

Example: my mate has just returned to Innsbruck after a few months in the UK. He holds a British passport and a Brexit visa for Austria (exactly the same as me). As is common when you live near the border, he returned on a flight from the UK into Verona, and took a train to Ibk. He has used 1 of his 90 days in travelling from Italy, but his passport was stamped with an entry stamp in Verona. He won’t be leaving for a couple of months, and as he doesn’t yet have a return flight, may leave via Munich, Zurich, Innsbruck… What happens now?
ski holidays
Interesting the comments re Andorra and that you get stamped in and out. I raised this on the forum ages ago, with no answer, as Andorra was neither EU nor Schengen.
snow report
@Scarlet, I know people who have had exactly the same issue. If you have a residence permit for a Schengen country and you are in transit to & from that country you should not get your passport stamped on entry to or leaving Schengen. The time in transit should not count towards the 90 days. How many border folk do this properly is a different matter. If your mate has had his passport stamped he should probably contact the Austrian border people otherwise he could end up with grief (how many are actually checked is an open question).
snow conditions
munich_irish wrote:
If you have a residence permit for a Schengen country and you are in transit to & from that country you should not get your passport stamped on entry to or leaving Schengen.

That was my understanding, and has been my experience going in and out of Austria, but he flew in on a “holiday” flight with lots of Lake Garda vacationers, and thinks the border guard may have been on autopilot. Or they don't see a lot of Austrian visas down in Verona (more likely in Munich). He said the attitude was a bit “that's nice, but what do you want me to do with it?” when he handed the card over Confused

i guess the same issue happens at the Chunnel with any Schengen visas not issued by France?
latest report
countryman wrote:
Interesting the comments re Andorra and that you get stamped in and out. I raised this on the forum ages ago, with no answer, as Andorra was neither EU nor Schengen.

I think @RobinS may be able to confirm this.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy