Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nervous beginner skier

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
I’m a nervous skier (one ski holiday where I had my confidence completely knocked!)
Am doing to book a week in a ski school whilst my husband and friends do their own thing.
If I did want to meet them further up the mountain, can I use the ski lifts as a “foot passenger”??
Also any top tips for the others to get their ski / lift passes? Is there a way to get a discount?
Thank you so much for any help!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Check the lift company; some resorts you can get a limited/ restricted lift pass if you're only using the nursery slopes, some places are free, or have one free lift on the "bunny hill". Or ask the ski school what sort of pass to buy.

You can ride lifts like bubble lifts and cable cars without skis, although check with the lift operator if you're not sure. The only lifts you can never do that in ordinary circumstances are those which require you to be towed along (button lifts, T-bars..) or those where you have to slide off the lift (chairs). So find a restaurant at the top of a gondola type lift and you're set. Many of them will be located there precisely because the food and workers won't always want to ski to the restaurant either.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ClaireCat, I would recommend going to Montgenevre as it has a really good ski school called Apeak and a green beginner run from the top of the mountain. My sister had private lessons with them as an adult beginner and found them very good. On the south facing Chalvet side you could take a gondola up to meet your husband at the mountain restaurant. On the other side (north facing) you could take the telemix lift up and ski an easy green to the mountain restaurant and ski back down on a green.

Montgenevre is a great resort for confidence building, has a good snow record and is cheaper than some of the better known resorts in France.

Some resorts have small discounts on lift passes if you buy 3 or more passes together but most of the discounts are for families with kids under 16.

If possible I would encourage another friend who is a beginner or less confident skier to join you on the hol as there is nothing worse for confidence than going with people who are all confident skiers boasting how many black runs they've skied each day. (although they won't have many to boast about in Montgenevre Toofy Grin as it is mainly blue and red runs.)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@phil_w, some chair lifts do take foot passengers where there is no gondola from the valley. we have 2 in Flachau. they just slow it down so you can get on and off
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I presume your holiday is already booked? In that you know which resort you're going to? You'll probably need a lift pass yourself anyway - I can't see you spending a week in ski school on a nursery slope. Instructors are usually keen to get you on the mountain, where they will have chosen specific slopes to teach on - working on all the basics, and giving you the confidence to be able to ski them on your own (or with the others in your party).

I was a terrified beginner. Petrified. I was mortified when on the second day we had to go up the mountain, and it took the whole 2 hr lesson to come down 1 blue run. On the 4th day, we went to a red slope (by necessity, we were in Sauze, where there's only about 2 blues!) and our lovely instructor made sure we could all side slip. And stop safely. And that was the best lesson ever.
We didn't do many different runs in that week - it was much easier to practise what we'd learnt on familiar terrain, rather than tackling something new - but we did get up and around the mountain.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ClaireCat wrote:
Hi,
I’m a nervous skier (one ski holiday where I had my confidence completely knocked!)
Am doing to book a week in a ski school whilst my husband and friends do their own thing.
If I did want to meet them further up the mountain, can I use the ski lifts as a “foot passenger”??
Also any top tips for the others to get their ski / lift passes? Is there a way to get a discount?
Thank you so much for any help!

Good for you - I hope you get your confidence back....which the right Instructor (in the right class) should achieve. If your confidence does start returning, don't let your husband or friends take you anywhere you haven't been with the Instructor....as that is a sure way to remove the gains you have made.

Your ideal lift - of course - is a bubble or cable car with a restaurant at the top. Otherwise, look for a restaurant beside the top of a Chairlift from the resort, that slows down for you to get on/off (ie. with skis on) and that allows you to download, and you should then be able to Pole/Walk, over and back to restaurant. If there is a lift to a restaurant, that is on a run you can manage....then skiing back is an option.

BTW. A very warm welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The "foot passenger" question's the easy one - it depends on the resort. A (very) rough rule of thumb though is that pedestrians can use gondolas but not chairs (because passengers are expected to walk out of gondolas but slide off of chairs).

"How to get your pass" is again an "it depends on the resort" question. You'll almost certainly be going to a resort that uses RFID lift passes that go in a pocket and just need to be waved near the gate to trigger. Many resorts let you order these online ahead of time and either have them posted or they will have machines you can collect them from. They can often be recharged too, so rather than buying a new piece of plastic each time you can just recharge you old one - though this tends to be resort specific. Discounts aren't that common and will generally have come and gone for this season, being either pre-season or Black Friday deals.

I would ask what it was knocked your confidence last time though. If it was 'just' your husband/friends dragging you too far out of your comfort zone or leaving you at the back, worrying you were holding them up so trying to rush (which only makes things worse) outside lessons then ski school will probably work. If, as one of my friends had, you were the slowest in your ski school group so always ending up at the back, farthest from the instructor and so only picking up half of what they said you might be better off with private lessons.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

A very warm welcome to

+1 The best places for meeting the others will depend entirely on the resort and the nature of lifts. One of the main chairlifts in Les Saisies, for example, does take foot passengers - there's a special platform for them to get on or off, just round the corner from where skiers dismount and the operator stops the lift. But as stated, many chairlifts don't allow foot passengers. Once you've found your feet, encourage your friends to meet you somewhere you can get to on skis - ask your instructor for advice about this.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ClaireCat, welcome to snowHead

Can you get to a snowdome here in the UK before your holiday? If so some lessons there will help a lot.

Beyond that a lot of the advice we could give will depend on how/why you lost confidence. Also telling us where you're going could be useful as someone may have a recommendation for a ski school/instructor.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The gentlest most flattering runs to resort I’ve encountered in Europe were Courchevel 1850.

If you can take a private lesson every day with a good English speaking instructor, so much better than group lessons. Get ski fit before the holiday.

The Alpine experts here will advise on the money top tips.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Group lessons can work v well. Company, support. But a recommendation for a ski school might be useful. Small groups best.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
1. Enjoy the group lessons. It is very hard not to.
2. Make your husband commit to skiing with you for at least an hour or two on the slopes you have been practicing on.
3. Enjoy.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
phil_w wrote:

You can ride lifts like bubble lifts and cable cars without skis, although check with the lift operator if you're not sure. The only lifts you can never do that in ordinary circumstances are those which require you to be towed along (button lifts, T-bars..) or those where you have to slide off the lift (chairs). So find a restaurant at the top of a gondola type lift and you're set. Many of them will be located there precisely because the food and workers won't always want to ski to the restaurant either.

Welcome to Snowheads.

Some chairlifts allow pedestrians to travel on them, so it's best to check in resort . And as PW says above, foot passengers are allowed on cable cars and gondolas (enclosed bubble-type lifts).

Good luck with your trip and remember to come back and tell us how it went.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’m so stupid! I forgot to say that I have already booked the resort -St Johann in Tirol. And yes, confidence knocked by husband taking me down a difficult run! Took my skies off and had to walk down and struggled to get in them again (that was 3 years ago)
And thank you for all your lovely replies - I feel very welcomed!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

confidence knocked by husband taking me down a difficult run!

Twisted Evil You've got a new one now, I imagine?
snow report
ClaireCat wrote:
I’m so stupid! I forgot to say that I have already booked the resort -St Johann in Tirol. And yes, confidence knocked by husband taking me down a difficult run! Took my skies off and had to walk down and struggled to get in them again (that was 3 years ago)

I don't know the area but it looks like the main cable cars all have pedestrian access (they sell single tickets which I would assume they would only do for pedestrians). It's an assumption, I don't know for certain.

There's also a trip report here which might give you some nuggets of useful information too.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=140903

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 1-12-23 11:37; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
ClaireCat wrote:
yes, confidence knocked by husband taking me down a difficult run! Took my skies off and had to walk down and struggled to get in them again

@ClaireCat, you may find this very short video helpful showing the foot crossover trick when putting on skis on steeper slopes:
https://youtube.com/shorts/Cwu_D9Fh1cE?feature=shared
snow conditions
I've seen so many times ladies, often of 'a certain age' who've been browbeaten over the years by their husbands such that they've lost all confidence and believe that they're not able to ski well. In most cases it's an unconscious action by the men who effectively make sure their wives cannot, or will not, ski better. It's very sad, and as I say it's not usually a deliberate thing, but the male desire to be seen as better can do strange things.

The best solution is often to have a private lesson with an experienced instructor and explain what your husband says you're doing wrong, 99% he's talking nonsense and the instructor will be able to give you tools to counter this, by which I mean the ability to say no, I'm not listening to you, instructor says... or variations on that.

Saw this so many times over the years as a Ski Club leader, where we'd always be able to recommend a local instructor who would be good for this, notably Lynn Stainbrook in Flaine, who 'fixed' this problem many times, at least three or four that I personally sent to him. The transformation can be heart-warming, especially when the wife is now enabled and will turn round and say "Lynn says I mustn't listen to anything you tell me". wink Best of all is when the husband eventually realises that she's better than him and goes off for a private lesson himself. Toofy Grin

Apologies if that's not the case here, but taking someone down a run that's too difficult is a classic example.
ski holidays
Marginal thread drift here but a friend of mine got a new girlfriend who wanted to learn to ski with him. He could ski (ish) but never had a lesson. His technique for teaching her was to ski close behind her and yell 'parallel' at her in a very hectoring tone.
Luckily his mates put a stop to this after a while by banning him from 'teaching' her and subsequently everyone had a happy time Very Happy
snow conditions
ClaireCat wrote:

Well that's his Christmas preasent sorted then - https://skiingwithdemons.com/buy/ - He clearnly needs to reas SWD1, specifically the chapter on "Girlfriend Skiing".
snow report
ClaireCat wrote:

I see this a number of times every season, not just with husbands/ boyfriends. I also had a problem when one of the local hotel owners says 'just take the lift at the top of the street' on day 2 and it is icy. I had a whole family turn up nearly an hour late last year when he suggested this and the one who could ski said to the rest of them 'I told you we could do that'. All this is on beginner slopes but this is the steepest and narrowest link beween them that certainly needs confident speed control through the turn, certainly not something for the second morning.
Of course the worst scenario is the new boyfriend trying to keep up with a girl that can ski!
snow conditions
We have been to St Johann the last 3 years, and it’s great. The main gondola on the main hill will take foot passengers no problem, and it will take you to middle station (where last year the restaurant was closed - may have been as it was still quiet due to covid) but the one at the top is open, and is lovely. Really cosy with great food, or a terrace if it’s sunny.

If you’re doing st Johann ski school, they’ll take you to the middle and down mainly.

If you’re staying on the eichenhoff side, then there’s a short gondola to the top of a very shallow easy blue run, with another great restaurant at the top of it - the Grander Schupf. I had to take my very nervous husband up and down that one run 14 times to get his confidence after he almost gave up. Most of the other restaurants you’ll need to ski to, or walk to. Or wait in Max’s pub at the bottom for the end of the day!

It's a lovely resort, we’re trying somewhere else this year but will miss St Johann!
latest report
Why do husbands and boyfriends do this? It’s not only horribly arrogant but counter-productive, as a rule it ends up just putting their wife/girlfriend off skiing entirely or condemning them to a lifetime of fear and lack of confidence when it comes to skiing.

Like some of the other instructors here I have seen this too many times to count. The good news for me is that is generally a joy to instruct these women. They are often much better skiers than they (and their man) thinks, are excellent students (actually assume that the instructor knows what he/she is doing), and as a result make very gratifying progress. Take and enjoy some lessons, and definitely tell your partner that it’s best if you are not offered any advice from him on your skiing as you want to focus on what you are being taught by the professional. Group lessons are fine but private ones can be better for quickly building confidence. It is better to do those lessons on your own. That said I have had some good joint sessions where the “lady” was presented by the man as needing some help with her skiing and he was there to learn how to help her, only for it to turn out that said lady was actually better able to adjust her skiing and execute the exercises because she was actually the better skier. Being able to turn it round to the male partner accepting he should probably listen to her than the other way around is gratifying!

As an aside we have an interesting dynamic where I am an instructor and my wife is an ex-racer who is much better than me technically (and I mean much!). But she had a few years off and has no acl to speak of, so there was a period where she was not at her previous level and not happy about it. Now I certainly have the analytical and teaching skills to coach someone of her level, but there is no way I would ever have even considered it even when I could see her frustration and knew exactly what would fix the problem (even if she had asked). The answer was a few sessions with a good coach, on her own. And now if she wants to train she does so with my eldest son as they are similar in character and technical skill, and there is no additional physiological dynamic. I often train with eldest daughter where I benefit from her greater technical skill on piste (she is also a racer) and she benefits from my analysis and experience off-piste. At least she is kind enough to say so, and let me believe it!
snow report
Would it not be easier and less stressful for them to come and meet you, rather than vice versa?
snow conditions
ClaireCat wrote:

Hi! I just want to say I was you! My then boyfriend (now husband) thought he would teach me to ski... very first day on the mountain we took a wrong turn from the blue beginner run, ended up on very steep, longish (to me at least) red run and I walked down then went back to the hotel. We made it through the resultant row (I often say that day was make or break Laughing ) and booked me into lessons for the rest of the week, where I lucked out with a patient, native-english speaking instructor and by the end of the week I had surpassed all the rest of the group (no complete beginners).

We just booked my fourth ever ski trip and for the first time I won't be taking lessons. Last year I had 3 private lessons and my instructor told me that in her I can technically ski any piste, fear is the only thing holding me back.

All this to say, take the lessons, and have confidence in yourself and your instructor, you're probably much better than you think!

A gluhwein doesn't hurt either Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Lauka wrote:
ClaireCat wrote:

Hi! I just want to say I was you! My then boyfriend (now husband) thought he would teach me to ski... very first day on the mountain we took a wrong turn from the blue beginner run, ended up on very steep, longish (to me at least) red run and I walked down then went back to the hotel. We made it through the resultant row (I often say that day was make or break Laughing ) and booked me into lessons for the rest of the week, where I lucked out with a patient, native-english speaking instructor and by the end of the week I had surpassed all the rest of the group (no complete beginners).

We just booked my fourth ever ski trip and for the first time I won't be taking lessons. Last year I had 3 private lessons and my instructor told me that in her I can technically ski any piste, fear is the only thing holding me back.

All this to say, take the lessons, and have confidence in yourself and your instructor, you're probably much better than you think!

A gluhwein doesn't hurt either Toofy Grin

Great story.

How much do you rate the impact of the private lessons? I’ve often chosen 3 for my teenage daughter on alternate mornings, meaning the vast majority of her holiday is with us, more relaxed without having to hit a start time everyday. Technically, a success.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

confidence knocked by husband taking me down a difficult run!

Twisted Evil You've got a new one now, I imagine?

Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Snow&skifan wrote:

How much do you rate the impact of the private lessons? I’ve often chosen 3 for my teenage daughter on alternate mornings, meaning the vast majority of her holiday is with us, more relaxed without having to hit a start time everyday. Technically, a success.

The private lessons were just what I needed last year - able to tackle all blues and most reds with some trepidation, but nervous. My bad habits driven by fear were mostly resolved the first day, a good few things I'd been aware of but unsure how to resolve in group lessons on the previous trip a good few years before finally "clicked" and by the end she had me carving.

I think I will most likely take some again in the future to develop my technique further so I can be more confident in different conditions etc.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy