Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Prices Ski Hire!

Poster: A snowHead
Just finalising some trip details and booking ski hire, with a discount code they have gone up 40% in the same shop we used last year - certain popular one n Val d'Isere.

Seems an excessive increase, I know prices of equipment/wages increased but seems like a lot!

Think we may bite the bullet and purchase this year.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How much is the cost to put them on the plane? Always wondered whether this made is less cost-effective to buy skis.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Where we're going this year (Sankt Gallenkirch) it's £170ish each for skis and boots for 8 days... So that's £340.
Not sure what it'd cost on the plane now as we're driving.
Cost-wise, my Mrs skis were 2nd hand Volkls, cost £120, boots end of line Head at the same. My skis were new, but previous year's model Line Blades - bargain at £400, and my boots another bargain Salomon at £110. Total £750. Edge and wax was around £40 iirc.
So if we use them for 3 years we're quids in.
As it is my wife's skis are now 5 years old and the boots 6. My boots are also 6, and the skis are 2 years old.
I flew once just before covid, and both sets of skis in 1 bag cost us £60.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
TopGooner wrote:
How much is the cost to put them on the plane? Always wondered whether this made is less cost-effective to buy skis.

£37 with Easyjet - £45 with Ryanair Single !! : TO's are cheaper = Crystal £50 return
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
£160 return with BA. I was quoted £280 for Val d'isere for 7 days hire so bought the extra bag on BA
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
holidayloverxx wrote:
£160 return with BA. I was quoted £280 for Val d'isere for 7 days hire so bought the extra bag on BA

I look at the same numbers differently: paying £120 over the cost of transporting skis gets me:
- a full quiver, I can change skis with the conditions
- up-to-date, well-serviced skis
- no servicing costs
- no initial outlay (or depreciation, or need to replace)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@JayRo, I'm not that sort of skier that I need a quiver Laughing

My skis live in Austria and are used 5 or 6 weeks a year so are paid for with one seasons use and are serviced twice a year at a cost of £50. I brought them back in the car after my summer trip and will take them back in the car in January
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@TopGooner, financially it depends on how you travel and with which airlines usually around the 100 quid return mark, but some airlines treat them as normal luggage so just included in the "premium economy" type ticket.

When I last checked skinhure, for the most, by the time you allow cost of transport, servicing kit (or paying someone to do it for you) etc. I don't think there was much benefit per trip, would certainly take a while to recoup ski and bag costs. Plus, if you're weak willed like me, you end up with several pairs of skis or looking at new ones.

As others have said, there are other benefits. E.g I know that I will have a ski I like and am familiar with. I can also take more than one pair, so different skis for different conditions.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
holidayloverxx wrote:

And that's assuming you need an extra hold bag and can't either get everything in your ski bag/get everything non-skis into your carry on bag and just politely ask a BA bag drop "Could I check my carry on bag in too?". The latter has always worked for me as ski flights are normally busy and full of people with lots of kit and one less person fighting for the overhead lockers is one less person who might need to be told "No room at the inn" and have their bag sent down to the hold at the gate. Certainly my plan for Saturday, en route to the PSB.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I virtually always ski with other people and share a bag with two pairs of skis in it. Rental skis are pretty pricey nowadays
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BA don't charge specifically for ski gear, unlike many other airlines, so as long as your ski bag is under the weight limit (23kg for economy, 32kg in business or with status) there's no extra fee to pay. But it does count as a bag, so in economy where you only get one bag included, you'd have to pay for a second bag (£55 e/w iirc) if you wanted to take a suitcase as well.

A way around this if there are 2 of you is to put both pairs of skis in the ski bag together, and then share a suitcase, that way no extra bags needed. BA don't actually care how many pairs of skis are in the ski bag, as long as it's under the weight limit. Though if the bag is lost/damaged I expect insurers would only pay out for one pair of skis per bag. Alternatively since BA also include a carry on, you can try to fit all your clothes/gear between your ski bag and carry on.

Sometimes though you can find that the difference between economy and business is less than or close to the price of adding a bag, in which case by booking that you can get the extra baggage allowance with a business class upgrade thrown in essentially for free.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mjit wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

And that's assuming you need an extra hold bag and can't either get everything in your ski bag/get everything non-skis into your carry on bag and just politely ask a BA bag drop "Could I check my carry on bag in too?". The latter has always worked for me as ski flights are normally busy and full of people with lots of kit and one less person fighting for the overhead lockers is one less person who might need to be told "No room at the inn" and have their bag sent down to the hold at the gate. Certainly my plan for Saturday, en route to the PSB.

I do - i had a big ski bag and sold it after one trip. Too heavy and cumbersome for me. My cabin bag has my ski boots and mojo - not going in the hold!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@zaphod424, the BA thing isn't necessarily as brilliant as is sometimes made out, I've found in the past that their base price can be quite a bit more. E.g you're effectly paying over the odds if you DON'T take skis snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
zaphod424 wrote:
BA don't charge specifically for ski gear, unlike many other airlines...
Most scheduled airlines don't change, so long as you're under 23Kgs, unless you buy a specific "no bags" ticket (which typically comes with other restrictions too). Air Canada carries skis free on international flights anyway. If you have a combination of international and internal flights, get it on one ticket or you'll end up paying for bags on the internal flight, in North America at least.

zaphod424 wrote:
...Though if the bag is lost/damaged I expect insurers would only pay out for one pair of skis per bag.
The Montreal convention makes the airline liable, they can't escape it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Aye, £1400 regardless of what's inside your luggage.
ski holidays
I was just trying to see what sort of deal @admin managed to pull off us last year at the "Mountain Story"
This is the favourite hire shop in Tignes le Lac.

I can't remember how much it was but it was a very good deal.
I cant see where it is in last year's thread, as it only goes up to page 15.
snow report
Well, you have to pay for all these flash shops.

I was gobsmacked how much cheaper ski hire was in the Pyrennees and last time I went to Sierra Nevada it was E14 for a day but probably dearer now.

Another reason why skiing is gradually being killed off by greed as many the average earner wont be able to afford all these costs
snow report
countryman wrote:

Another reason why skiing is gradually being killed off by greed as many the average earner wont be able to afford all these costs

I think lots of other factors , i do think there is a bit of a trickle down, the flash resorts that are not so price sensitive are getting more expensive so people (myself included) are looking elsewhere which is probably increasing demand and therefore cost.

I had a look at some of my costs from 2018 (I like a spreadsheet) for very similar trip, most of the costs, Lessons, accommodation, ski hire have gone up over 20% and lift pass 25%!
snow conditions
therock wrote:
I had a look at some of my costs from 2018 (I like a spreadsheet) for very similar trip, most of the costs, Lessons, accommodation, ski hire have gone up over 20% and lift pass 25%!

According to the Bank of England's inflation calculator £10 in 2018 is now worth £12.46, which suggests to me that those prices have remained approximately the same in real terms.
ski holidays
Quote:

I like a spreadsheet

in that case, index your spreadsheet against
https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/timeseries/cdko/mm23
https://www.ons.gov.uk/generator?format=xls&uri=/economy/inflationandpriceindices/timeseries/cdko/mm23
snow conditions
Yes maybe inline with inflation but most salaries haven't caught up. I am certainly not earning 25% more than i was in 2018.

Looking at the average 'Director' level salary from ONS, which I am sure is significantly higher than most people but probably more inline with your average Brit skier. Salaries have increased between 10-15% in the same period.

So yeah inflation went up but salaries haven't to the same level. Thus the pinch.
ski holidays
Worth also pointing out that France,Austria,Switzerland haven't had as high levels of inflation over the same period.
ski holidays
therock wrote:
Looking at the average 'Director' level salary from ONS, which I am sure is significantly higher than most people but probably more inline with your average Brit skier.

£100k is in line with the average UK skier? Shocked You an I obviously know different skiers Laughing
snow conditions
'Director' is such a broad and over/mis used term anyway, I'm amazed anyone would think there was value in averaging out a salary there. In my industry for certain, there aren't many people with that title who would be impressed with that sort of number. Although a lot of them do ski...
snow report
@therock, if you know what you want why don't you buy your own skis? Even in the short term buying is more cost effective than renting at £150 per week! wink
snow conditions
skimastaaah wrote:
@therock, if you know what you want why don't you buy your own skis? Even in the short term buying is more cost effective than renting at £150 per week! wink

I dont want to be rude but, as set out above, the price of airline ski carriage is also outrageous - probably driven by the cost of ski hire encouraging them to charge high prices
latest report
Quote:

I dont want to be rude but, as set out above, the price of airline ski carriage is also outrageous - probably driven by the cost of ski hire encouraging them to charge high prices

Possibly, but not everyone flys and the last time I flew ski carrige was simply part of the baggage allowance (BA). Most times the skis are just carried in the car.

I think the high price charged by many airlines is simply so that they can charge a low first glance price than make everthing up on extras. One airline in the past used to sneak a paying charge on at the end of the booking process. See
http://youtube.com/v/-6zIYPAKoyU
snow report
Quote:

It's a big generalisation that ski carriage is expensive. Some airlines include a free ski bag (e.g. air Canada). For this winter flying to kyrgyzstan (london-istanbul-bishkek) my ski bag cost £70 return. But you have to consider I'm packing everything in the ski bag, so i don't need a checked bag which would have probably been about £40 return. So basically £30 extra to take skis.

FWIW I don't actually think they take into account rental cost. I suspect your ski carriage is a similar cost to other bulky sports equipment.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

It's a big generalisation that ski carriage is expensive. Some airlines include a free ski bag (e.g. air Canada). For this winter flying to kyrgyzstan (london-istanbul-bishkek) my ski bag cost £70 return. But you have to consider I'm packing everything in the ski bag, so i don't need a checked bag which would have probably been about £40 return. So basically £30 extra to take skis.

FWIW I don't actually think they take into account rental cost. I suspect your ski carriage is a similar cost to other bulky sports equipment.

Easyjet has dynamic pricing. I have seen 23kg under £20 each way, but also more expensive than the £37 each-way for ski bag. for £45 you can upgrade to large sports & take 30kg
Ryanair on the other hand.. £35 EW for sports equipment. £45 for ski's. Dunno if snowboard is ski or sports!

We share ski bag & by the time we got our boots, bindings & boards in there, it comes to nearly 15kg
latest report
@countryman,I fly BA mainly so ski carriage is not a issue. BA have just had a "sale", I got to book flights and car hire 6 days LHR to Malpensa for 2 pax for £330. Not too bad when you factor in the ski carriage and convenient flight times.
snow report
Sadly, no BA flights anywhere near me.
ski holidays
Quote:

Sadly, no BA flights anywhere near me.

Since Sabena became Brussels Airline I think BA should really be called London Airlines
snow report
Quote:

I think BA should really be called London Airlines

Heathrow Airlines

you get the impression even gatwick is a distraction
snow report
hobbiteater wrote:
Quote:

I think BA should really be called London Airlines

Heathrow Airlines

you get the impression even gatwick is a distraction

I think they did pull out of gatwick at one point around the start of the pandemic and appears the reluctantly restarted.

Anyway, just bought some skis! We are driving this year, so definitely makes sense. At least this year.
snow conditions
therock wrote:

Anyway, just bought some skis! We are driving this year, so definitely makes sense. At least this year.

What did you go for?
latest report
I agree the cost of hire has risen, exponentially, since Covid. I suspect there are several factors: inflation, global supply chain problems, increases in tech and cost of skis and greed.
snow conditions
Quote:

I agree the cost of hire has risen, exponentially, since Covid.

If the costs increase by 1% per annum it is an expoential rise
snow report
Every time I see this thread title I think of Prices Candles. In those cardboard boxes.
latest report
Old Fartbag wrote:
therock wrote:

What did you go for?

Well my wife bought some Blizzard Black Pearl 82.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Every time I see this thread title I think of Prices Candles. In those cardboard boxes.

Apologies, bad grammar.

or Apologies bad grammar
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy