Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter tyres and/or snow chains

Poster: A snowHead
Raceplate wrote:
LaForet wrote:
Re the 300 BHP thing - This is more of a side-effect of the trend towards adding a turbo to petrol engines to give them the torque needed to compete with diesels. My car is 330 BHP, but I didn't buy it because I needed that much power, I bought it because I wanted an engine that's smooth and capable of cruising down to the Alps and Alpine ascents without any bother, but in petrol form. To get that in petrol it needs a turbocharger for low-down revs, otherwise I'd be changing gear all the time going up/down hill. The turbo probably gives me another 100BHP, but I never use it to hit top speed of 160mph. And nowadays, even my car is out-accelerated by a mainstream electric vehicle, so if I wanted pure speed and acceleration, an EV would be better anyway.

I've never understood why so many brands have spent 30-40 years trying to make petrol turbos effective instead of just fitting a supercharger in the first place. I think it's German engineering stubbornness (I'm looking at you, VAG group & BMW) - they simply won't admit that the entire concept of turbos is crap (too peaky and inconsistent power, turbo lag, crap boost in hot weather, too much wheelspin in cold weather, generally a PITA to drive) and are determined to prove that their engineering skills can overcome the inherent deficiencies of the design. Give me a consistent supercharged Jag (or Merc) any day.

you have no idea what you are talking about. SC is driven by a belt, using engine power. Turbo spins from exhaust gas, which is a waste of an engine anyways. SC has excellent instant torque, no turbo lag, however, with a fuel consumption penalty.

All this downsizing of engines with reduced displacement and less cylinders, but turbocharger is because of CO2 emmissions. A small turbo engine can drive with exceptional efficiency at low RPM, which is very good for passing EPA test, how it is designed. Start driving normally or a bit harder, and economy goes out the window. And reliability is a non existant thing, with engines pushed to 100+ bhp from liter of displacement and everything beeing as light as possible and high operating temperatures.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kosmoz wrote:
Raceplate wrote:
LaForet wrote:
Re the 300 BHP thing - This is more of a side-effect of the trend towards adding a turbo to petrol engines to give them the torque needed to compete with diesels. My car is 330 BHP, but I didn't buy it because I needed that much power, I bought it because I wanted an engine that's smooth and capable of cruising down to the Alps and Alpine ascents without any bother, but in petrol form. To get that in petrol it needs a turbocharger for low-down revs, otherwise I'd be changing gear all the time going up/down hill. The turbo probably gives me another 100BHP, but I never use it to hit top speed of 160mph. And nowadays, even my car is out-accelerated by a mainstream electric vehicle, so if I wanted pure speed and acceleration, an EV would be better anyway.

I've never understood why so many brands have spent 30-40 years trying to make petrol turbos effective instead of just fitting a supercharger in the first place. I think it's German engineering stubbornness (I'm looking at you, VAG group & BMW) - they simply won't admit that the entire concept of turbos is crap (too peaky and inconsistent power, turbo lag, crap boost in hot weather, too much wheelspin in cold weather, generally a PITA to drive) and are determined to prove that their engineering skills can overcome the inherent deficiencies of the design. Give me a consistent supercharged Jag (or Merc) any day.

you have no idea what you are talking about. SC is driven by a belt, using engine power. Turbo spins from exhaust gas, which is a waste of an engine anyways. SC has excellent instant torque, no turbo lag, however, with a fuel consumption penalty.

All this downsizing of engines with reduced displacement and less cylinders, but turbocharger is because of CO2 emmissions. A small turbo engine can drive with exceptional efficiency at low RPM, which is very good for passing EPA test, how it is designed. Start driving normally or a bit harder, and economy goes out the window. And reliability is a non existant thing, with engines pushed to 100+ bhp from liter of displacement and everything beeing as light as possible and high operating temperatures.

I was also under the impression, that small turbo engines was a product of carmakers needing to cut emissions. A turbo roughly have two functions to my understanding:
1. Low rev torque for consumption
2. Extra power higher up the revs

This is the exact reason you now see 1.0 liter engines with turbo’s.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DanishRider wrote:

Goes where no tank have ever been before wink just looked it up, and it appears that the last one was the 2013 version - What a shame, because a 4x4 at that price with those capabilities, is really amazing to be honest.

I have a Formentor at 4 times the price, and it would not be able to do half of what the Panda I capable of!

full italy of small suzukis, swift, ignis, some jimnys and vitaras, which still can be bought new and with a simplistic and reliable 4wd system. And formentor is more capable than you would think, you just want not to be afraid to brake some plastics Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Idris wrote:
damanpunk wrote:
Narrow tyres, half decent ground clearance and a bulletproof 4wd system. Ideal winter car!

Er no. Had one as a work runablut in Meribel. Yes better than a regular panda in the snow. Otherwise a nasty, unreliable, underpowered, death trap. Suspension and the very basic nature of the 4wd system means you are regularily beeten in slipery conditions by a wel thought out fwd with good tyres and traction control/LSD.

Honestly everything you've said makes me want one more.

I follow some guys on instagram who have some of the most wild car collections you can think of, yet they're often driving 4x4 pandas in Italy Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

you just want not to be afraid to brake some plastics

Or perhaps break some. I think you may still want to stop the plastic.

Going back to turbo versus supercharging. I wonder why electric powered turbochargers haven't been implemented. They would be simpler than the variable pitch systems in conventional turbochargers an probably more reliable and not consume energy to the extent of superchargers when not required.

I read somewhere that turbocharged cars were rather bad at implementing their supposed fuel consumption in the real world. No where near as bad as hybrids but still significant.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Really comes down to how you drive them, one of my cars previously mentioned is a twin turbo 3 litre with over 400bhp. If you take it easy and drive at low rpms it'll do 40mpg. Put your foot down and it's a totally different story Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kosmoz wrote:
DanishRider wrote:

Goes where no tank have ever been before wink just looked it up, and it appears that the last one was the 2013 version - What a shame, because a 4x4 at that price with those capabilities, is really amazing to be honest.

I have a Formentor at 4 times the price, and it would not be able to do half of what the Panda I capable of!

full italy of small suzukis, swift, ignis, some jimnys and vitaras, which still can be bought new and with a simplistic and reliable 4wd system. And formentor is more capable than you would think, you just want not to be afraid to brake some plastics Very Happy

You are 110% right - I fear plastic carnage Razz
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@johnE, Some of the Volvos have a small pressure chamber that gives the turbo a 'kick' to spin it up when needed. Nice, simple idea. Mine doesn't have it so I dunno if it works, but I see no reason why not.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
johnE wrote:
I wonder why electric powered turbochargers haven't been implemented. They would be simpler than the variable pitch systems in conventional turbochargers an probably more reliable and not consume energy to the extent of superchargers when not required.

Electric superchargers (effectively the same as an electric turbocharger, since what you're talking about is forced induction powered by something) have been tried. In the end, you're taking power from the engine, via an alternator, to an electric motor, to spin a turbine/fan. Turns out to be easier to connect that turbine direct to the engine and cut out the electrical gubbins.

If you put the supercharger on a clutch, as my car does, you get the supercharging benefits without parasitic power loss.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Audi SQ7/SQ8 tdi has a small electric supercharger, which helps at the lowest RPM, then conventional turbos kicks in. Same engine in VW Toureg didn't have this feature. And yes, volvo D5 has a compressed air chamber, which is released to spool up the turbo faster, however lazy calibrated gearbox does not allow to feel that much sporty.
Too bad dieselgate happened, that made so much diesels dissapear. Petrol alternatives are real alternatives only if driven carefully. Relax a bit, add some load or speed, and it's no longer comparable to diesel fuel consumption.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

If you put the supercharger on a clutch, as my car does, you get the supercharging benefits without parasitic power loss.

Thats not true.
A supercharger has to draw power from somewhere, if its on a disengaged clutch then fine; its not doing anything until it engages and starts taking power off the main drive.
A staged Turbo system - a small one powered from a compressor charge or electric blower, followed by a proper gas flowed one then thats different - although any electric blower will need a 48v with some pretty hefty batteries and charging circuit to spin for long. Its the system they were going to use on the R35 until they dumped it for being overly complicated and heavy.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bob wrote:
damanpunk wrote:
What turbo cars have you driven that you find so disappointing?

Twin turbos really aren't the norm, at all.

Had twin turbos on my old Maserati 3200 GT, brilliant car Toofy Grin . But you would not want to drive it in the Alps during winter without winter tyres. The handbook says that turning off traction control is really for the track, I tried it, and the handbook is right. Ahh the last of the 'propper' analogue cars Crying or Very sad

Didn't that model have a problem with the 'drive by wire' throttle that meant tracks on the sensor wore out and it effectively became an on off switch?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've twin (parallel) turbo's on my 1991 Vauxhall. And yes I drove it to the alps in the1990's and early 2000's. On summer tyres with home made snow chains.

Superchargers and turbos are nothing new. The WW2 B17 had both on the same engine. Compound charging was evaluated in the late 80's for my Vauxhall. The idea was rejected in favour of two smaller turbos since they spool up almost instantaneously and are generally more fuel efficient*. They're only really need above 2000RPM which is above cruise settings, and have no noticeable lag.

Turbo lag is a symptom of poor design - using a mahooosive turbo that take ages to spool up on an engine that is too small (in cc's) to provide the exhaust gas to get it spinning quickly. Yes you'll eventually get loads of boost, and hence loads of torque, but that tends to catch the unwary by surprise if they're not paying attention. And don't get me started on dump valves. rolling eyes

* 22MPG on a good day, <5MPG on a track day Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Judwin, Calibra? Cavalier 4x4? or something a bit more "lotusey"? Some very under appreciated cars of that era ...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
@Judwin, Calibra? Cavalier 4x4? or something a bit more "lotusey"? Some very under appreciated cars of that era ...

Loads of trouble, usually serious.
snow report
@Judwin, how lovely! Twisted Evil
snow report
Unfortunately massive turbo lag still exists; my 2021 rig will be my last turbo vehicle. Overall great car but they should have tamed this by now. I heard higher voltage electrical systems will make electric turbos/supers viable; hope so. I had and liked a supercharged car, no lag but yeah it used almost as much fuel as the V8 it replaced. Though nothing will really replace a V8! The sound......

"Home made snow chains"? Wow, that's a new one. Did you start from scratch or modify? How long before they exploded? Very Happy
ski holidays
Judwin wrote:
under a new name wrote:

Loads of trouble, usually serious.

Think we're going along the lines of Lotus Carlton, which is a Vauxhall with Lotus suspension tuning.

On the subject of turbo/supercharger, forget them both and just go for a bigger engine. Nothing works better thank more CC's
latest report
@Richard_Sideways,
Quote:

starts taking power off the main drive

But how much power? I mean, if you're already at 4k rpm and putting out 250 bhp, a wee fan won't be that noticeable will it?
snow report
@Scooter in Seattle, Maybe on US vehicles, but on 'smaller' engined Euro models it's pretty much gone - certainly not massive.
snow report
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
"Home made snow chains"? Wow, that's a new one. Did you start from scratch or modify? How long before they exploded? Very Happy

Couldn't get them for 265-45-R19 in the 1990's. So took a set for something smaller, bought some square section chain from the local hardware shop, and set about it with the tools at hand. Did a few test fits, and they were Ok. I think they'd have got me past the rozzers at the bottom of the hill in France. Thankfully never had to use them in anger to test their robustness.
snow conditions
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
Unfortunately massive turbo lag still exists; my 2021 rig will be my last turbo vehicle. Overall great car but they should have tamed this by now. ... I had and liked a supercharged car, no lag but yeah it used almost as much fuel as the V8 it replaced. Though nothing will really replace a V8! The sound......
Rather like skis/ snowboards, I think the trick is to try before you buy.

My car has turbine assistance and it feels seamless - some of them very much have tamed it.

When buying this I also tested a supercharged V8, and to me at least that did have a kind of lag in it.
snow report
The only lag in my 5 litre V8 is between my brain and right foot.
snow conditions
@under a new name, if you're using the supercharger to get you over the turbo lag hump, then it'll have disengaged by 4k RPM and be just sitting doing nothing, and they turbo will be spinning happily away on your exhaust gasses. The problem with small superchargers is that they really aren't very efficient for the complexity, weight and space they take up in the car - its why anti-lag systems traditionally either use a compressor to pre-spool the turbo or a pressure recirculation system like in the old Lancias, or more antisocially, just dump more fuel into the exhaust manifold and ignite it there and kick the impeller that way.

You're probably better off as a manufacturer adding a bit more to the engine capacity and/or shrinking the Turbo to reduce the spooltime - and playing with the map to tune it out.. seeing most modern cars are auto anyway now, you can play with the RPM change settings to keep the turbo happily on song in sport mode.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@Richard_Sideways,
Quote:

But how much power? I mean, if you're already at 4k rpm and putting out 250 bhp, a wee fan won't be that noticeable will it?

It's not a wee fan though. It can take between 10% and 20% of the engines power to run the supercharger. http://fepower.net/Dyno%20Results/dyno_results_14.html

And power isn't really how it works anyway. You need to think in terms of torque not power. Torque is directly related to the amount of air you can get into the cylinder. Double the air means double the torque. There is no use having 250bhp at 4K RPM if the torque curve is so peaky that the power drops off rapidly either side of 4K.

The efficiency of the inlet manifold and head design affect the amount of the air entering the combustion chamber. At low revs there is lots of time to fill the cylinder. At high revs there isn't. That's why torque tails off above a given RPM - typically around 4500 RPM - you just can't get all the air into the cylinder in time. What you want is flat torque from tick-over to red line. If you could achieve this, then max power would be at red-line too. It never is.

A Normally aspirated engine - like Scooters V8 - will have good low end torque, which will probably tail off above 5000 RPM.

A forced induction car can have the same performance using fewer CC's - if (IF) it can supply high pressure air at low revs. If you can get 2 bar air (1 bar boost) into a 2.5L engine at low revs, then it'll have similar torque output to a 5L normally aspirated engine. So the trick is to get the boost air pressure up as quickly as possible at low RPM. The engine may also be capable of higher RPM than a big V8 due to the lower rotating masses. By the time you get to 4K things will be fully spun up and pressurised.

It's not uncommon for high performance cars to disengage various electrical and mechanical loads on the engine whilst being ragged so that more power is available for traction. A/C compressors for example. My windscreen wipers stop working above 150MPH. snowHead
snow conditions
kosmoz wrote:
Audi SQ7/SQ8 tdi has a small electric supercharger, which helps at the lowest RPM, then conventional turbos kicks in. Same engine in VW Toureg didn't have this feature. And yes, volvo D5 has a compressed air chamber, which is released to spool up the turbo faster, however lazy calibrated gearbox does not allow to feel that much sporty.
Too bad dieselgate happened, that made so much diesels dissapear. Petrol alternatives are real alternatives only if driven carefully. Relax a bit, add some load or speed, and it's no longer comparable to diesel fuel consumption.

Polestar upgrade - Made wonders for my gearbox on my V60.
latest report
ansta1 wrote:
On the subject of turbo/supercharger, forget them both and just go for a bigger engine. Nothing works better thank more CC's

Don't they have a saying in the US - "there's no substitute for cubic inches" Madeye-Smiley
latest report
@Alastair Pink, yes we do!

And @philwig, the part you (or rather I) left out from "try before you buy" is "don't let your hard-on for the car deceive you into thinking the lag ain't there when it is"!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DanishRider, I've been tempted by the Polestar u/g but it's good enough as it is!
latest report
MorningGory wrote:
@DanishRider, I've been tempted by the Polestar u/g but it's good enough as it is!

You WILL get more power, but not out of this world power.

Two reasons for getting it:
1: More torque
2: The gearbox timings

The gearbox timings is alone worth the upgrade - The original software for the Aisin gearbox is horrible, but the updated version literally changes the car to the better.
snow report
Don't know what engine you've got, but mines the T5 so pretty torquey anyway!

Also not sure about the insurance aspect.
ski holidays
MorningGory wrote:
Don't know what engine you've got, but mines the T5 so pretty torquey anyway!

Also not sure about the insurance aspect.

Don’t know how it works in the UK, but the polestar upgrade has EU type approval and are supported by Volvo, so here it hasn’t any impact on insurance etc. I guess you need to ask you insurance company about it.

Had the D4 190.
ski holidays
@Richard_Sideways, @Judwin, thanks, every day is a schoolday Happy
snow conditions
Raceplate wrote:
Same as the original Audi S5 with a 4.2 V8 was a far better car than the 3.0 V6 turbo that replaced it. It's consistent power and torque.

Better engine, not better car. I had both; the V8.....loved it; I'm considering trying to find one to rebuild for my next rig. That was also the car that taught me about summer tires and how they suck in the cold. The SC V6 was the better car overall though. More sorted, very similar straight-line performance, minus the soundtrack, of course. I called it the angry vacuum cleaner. I got an all-time compliment about that car from a football dad. He said, very seriously, "I covet your car".

Since we're talking about the number of turbos, how about Porsche calling the top model in the all-electric Taycan line a "turbo"? How does one spell "hidebound" in German?
ski holidays
So, in conclusion, two turbos and a super charger and don’t bother with chains Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Judwin, "And power isn't really how it works anyway. You need to think in terms of torque not power. Torque is directly related to the amount of air you can get into the cylinder. Double the air means double the torque. There is no use having 250bhp at 4K RPM if the torque curve is so peaky that the power drops off rapidly either side of 4K."

Worth expanding for explanation......torque is the effort the motor can put out and usually stated as peak @ given rpm (eg 250 lb / ft @ 2000rpm) and so it can enact that effort in total at that running point.

Bhp is something of a notional figure that takes into account time/work rate as a component of the calculation. Effectively it takes torque and uses the rpm at which the peak occurs as a gain factor to give bhp. The M in rpm being minutes.

Two engine having torque of 250 lb/2000 rpm and 250 lb/4000 rpm produce the same "power" but with the occurrence at 4000 rpm giving a higher bhp.

Ordinarily this is fitted into real usage by having a lowered gearing for the higher rpm example which then has the output of 250lb then enacted through more power pulses over a given distance.

Pressurised intake has the ability to increase however it's delivered, turbo has more options to control over a range, how that is trimmed and generally at lower cost. Hot and cold sides of turbine can be tailored individually, most now are configured with a variable geometry to alter boost on demand via altering the internal flow of the hot side primarily to bring speed at low rpm and avoid overboost at peak, normally doesn't need a waste gate to bleed of excess pressure either. They are very neat integrated units that are fitted.

All engine will vary in combustion and power with intake air temp too, intercooling (air to air heat exchange for intake cooling) is a fundamental to making power while not detonating the engine.
ski holidays
harrim51 wrote:
So, in conclusion, two turbos and a super charger and don’t bother with chains Toofy Grin
Very Happy

But which type of helmet is advisable Smile
latest report
ski3 wrote:
harrim51 wrote:
Very Happy

But which type of helmet is advisable Smile

Likely to be very small if your car is that quick Very Happy
latest report
[quote="Judwin"]
under a new name wrote:
@Richard_Sideways,
Quote:

My windscreen wipers stop working above 150MPH. snowHead

How do you know this ?Have you tried it ?

I must admit I have been 150mph on the German Autobahn, but in good clear conditions, certainly not when it's raining and if you were to try than in the rain, it would be a unpleasant shock to find out you suddenly cant see out of the windows Sad I knew about the A/C cutoff on some cars at full throttle but never heard anything about windscreen wipers, any power saving must be really minimal so seems like a strange design decision.
ski holidays
[quote="JohnS4"]
Judwin wrote:
under a new name wrote:
@Richard_Sideways,
Quote:

My windscreen wipers stop working above 150MPH. snowHead

How do you know this ?Have you tried it ?

I must admit I have been 150mph on the German Autobahn, but in good clear conditions, certainly not when it's raining and if you were to try than in the rain, it would be a unpleasant shock to find out you suddenly cant see out of the window Sad I knew about the A/C cutoff on some cars at full throttle but never heard anything about windscreen wipers, any power saving must be really minimal so seems like a strange design decision.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy